BFTG Ipswich

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Ipswich

by Denver Royal » 03 Mar 2019 19:38

Zip Martinez was superb and from what I saw was kicking long far more often than playing it short.

Agree, and I was encouraged by it. It was more evidence that we can, and will, play more than one style when necessary, i.e. we won't exclusively pass it around at the back. Depending on the game/opponent, we can switch things up.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Mar 2019 19:53

Dick Habbin's hairdo Hahaha. Watch this from 12 min 16 secs.

First the farmers giving it the big one at Nelson for being Naaarwich and for being physically assaulted and, when he scores, they go a smidge radio rental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMex1xHdzP8

17m 15s onwards is quite good too. We've all experienced that feeling!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Mar 2019 02:41

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal If we're without both Oliveira and Rinomhota for any length of time we're not winning many more games, especially now we've virtually no more games against the real shit in the division.

Not to mention Martinez.

Very worrying knocks to Nelson and Emi.

Guess what - it's the real shit in the division who are fighting for survival who will battle the most and probably give us our toughest games.

Spot on. Why is this lost on so many fans?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2019 02:53

Woodcote Royal
RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal If we're without both Oliveira and Rinomhota for any length of time we're not winning many more games, especially now we've virtually no more games against the real shit in the division.

Not to mention Martinez.

Very worrying knocks to Nelson and Emi.

Guess what - it's the real shit in the division who are fighting for survival who will battle the most and probably give us our toughest games.

Yeah, just like Sheff... oh wait we lost 4-0

It's mainly the mid table fodder we've got the best chances to beat (i.e. Blackburn, Villa, Wednesday). I think the point he's trying to make is we've still got 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th to play, most away games, with lots of playoff chasing teams (Hull, Birmingham, an inform Preston and Brentford etc)

But fortunately, unlike the Prem, there's always a chance of winning in the championship. While these games are most likely losses, shocks do regularly occur in this league

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Mar 2019 03:31

URZZZZ
Woodcote Royal
RoyalBlue

It's mainly the mid table fodder we've got the best chances to beat (i.e. Blackburn, Villa, Wednesday). I think the point he's trying to make is we've still got 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th to play, most away games, with lots of playoff chasing teams (Hull, Birmingham, an inform Preston and Brentford etc)

But fortunately, unlike the Prem, there's always a chance of winning in the championship. While these games are most likely losses, shocks do regularly occur in this league

Not posting much these days, I was forgetting the need to always point out the blindingly obvious on hobnob and, just for good measure, perhaps a picture or two if they help get the point across which, franky, is why I can mostly no longer be arsed.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the increasing number of mid table teams at this time of the season with little or nothing to play for, as opposed to the promotion contenders who, like us and our fellow relegation strugglers, also have much to play for but, hey, nevermind, my fault.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2019 07:42

I mean, he literally said "It's the real shit in the division who are fighting for survival who will give us our toughest games"

Not only do we have just one game left that might qualify, but our games against the bottom three have all been close, which we should have won fairly comfortably.

So it's just a nonsense thing to say.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Mar 2019 07:45

I wonder if everyone would be getting the same high ratings had Barrow not scored or had one of their chances paid off.

Sorry for the downer but seemed like typical Reading. Go one up, totally balls and and let them back in with a late goal. Stupid passing out from the back needlessly inviting pressure. Luck shined on us as we took our late chance and they didn't theirs.

At 1-1 some would have been calling for Gomes' head.

Far from convincing but of course a much needed win.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2019 08:47

2 world wars, 1 world cup I wonder if everyone would be getting the same high ratings had Barrow not scored or had one of their chances paid off.

Sorry for the downer but seemed like typical Reading. Go one up, totally balls and and let them back in with a late goal. Stupid passing out from the back needlessly inviting pressure. Luck shined on us as we took our late chance and they didn't theirs.

At 1-1 some would have been calling for Gomes' head.

Far from convincing but of course a much needed win.

The letting in of late goals is a worrying theme - on the plus side, we've gone on to win 2 of those games recently which shows there is a bit more confidence and belief in this side now - we had he chances to score a late winner against Rotherham too but couldn't quite nick it.

We don't need to be convincing this season, we just need points. Happy for us to be outplayed for 89 mins as long we score 1 more than the other lot do. Anything else can wait til next season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2019 08:56

Woodcote Royal
URZZZZ
Woodcote Royal

Not posting much these days, I was forgetting the need to always point out the blindingly obvious on hobnob and, just for good measure, perhaps a picture or two if they help get the point across which, franky, is why I can mostly no longer be arsed.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the increasing number of mid table teams at this time of the season with little or nothing to play for, as opposed to the promotion contenders who, like us and our fellow relegation strugglers, also have much to play for but, hey, nevermind, my fault.

Problem is Woodcote, we don't have much of those mid-table teams less - this will of course change but as of today we can probably put the fixtures into 3 pots:

Something to play for (Promotion/play-off (within 4 points of)/relegation)

Wigan, Leeds, Hull, Norwich, Bristol City, West Brom, Boro, Brum

On the cusp (6 points outside play-offs)

Preston

Nothing to play for (realistically)

Stoke, Brentford

We will pick up points that we are not expectng along the way but as it stands and given the closeness at the top - only 8 points between 6th placed Bristol and 15th placed Brentford - there are not too many teams that are obviously out of one mix or other.

The "pack" is very big this year hence why the bottom 6 have been cut adrift somewhat.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2019 09:04

think you can overanalyse who we have left and whether they have 'anything to play for'

The teams that don't - often they can relax a little more, plus as always there are players playing for their careers etc.

Generally the good teams are at the top, and the rubbish at the bottom, and it often just works out that way no matter when you play them. Inevitably the tougher games will be against the teams higher up the table, or at least the 'form' table

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2019 09:52

Hound think you can overanalyse who we have left and whether they have 'anything to play for'

The teams that don't - often they can relax a little more, plus as always there are players playing for their careers etc.

Generally the good teams are at the top, and the rubbish at the bottom, and it often just works out that way no matter when you play them. Inevitably the tougher games will be against the teams higher up the table, or at least the 'form' table

Yeah tend to agree - if we factor form into it (and clearly that will change) at the moment it just makes our run-in look the toughest of all the sides out there.

retro royal

by retro royal » 04 Mar 2019 09:53

My biggest gripe from Saturday, is that after halftime we came out looking to hold on to a 1 goal lead and gave the initiative to Ipswich, kick off goes back to Ipswich ball in the air just in our half, Meite gets a free kick just in our half, we could put a few up front put a long ball in, we could try to play it down the wing, but no we pass it all the way back, muck about with it, then lose it give Ipswich an opportunity, not only that but then we can't break out.

As for people saying Blackett had a good game, God know's who you were watching, he was dreadful.

Happy for the 3 points but still a tough fight to survive this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2019 09:58

Stranded
Hound think you can overanalyse who we have left and whether they have 'anything to play for'

Yeah tend to agree - if we factor form into it (and clearly that will change) at the moment it just makes our run-in look the toughest of all the sides out there.

I've heard a lot about Rotherham's tough run, but would agree ours on paper looks tougher to me.

March is huge for us. Each game looks pretty winnable. 3 homes games. All tough, but we need 7-9 points I reckon. the Ipswich win was unbelievably massive. April stinks, do well to 6 points from those 6 games

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Mar 2019 10:00

cant over emphasise the importance of confidence, which must be improving now, especially after games like Saturday.
low confidence means we are more likely to wilt under 2nd half pressure, make more mistakes/wrong decisions, mean our heads go down when we concede etc.
as we slowly build confidence, hopefully some mental strength and a reduction in mistakes will follow and this could be the difference between relegation and mid table.
I'm now hopeful we might be able to get some results against teams we would have had no chance against earlier in the season

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2019 10:00

retro royal My biggest gripe from Saturday, is that after halftime we came out looking to hold on to a 1 goal lead and gave the initiative to Ipswich, kick off goes back to Ipswich ball in the air just in our half, Meite gets a free kick just in our half, we could put a few up front put a long ball in, we could try to play it down the wing, but no we pass it all the way back, muck about with it, then lose it give Ipswich an opportunity, not only that but then we can't break out.

As for people saying Blackett had a good game, God know's who you were watching, he was dreadful.

Ipswich were always going to come at us, they were at home and had to win that game. It was to be expected and nowhere near as bad as the Rotherham game. We haven't got the midfielders capable of controlling a game away from home, we were always going to have to ride our luck for periods.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2019 10:05

Hound
Stranded

I've heard a lot about Rotherham's tough run, but would agree ours on paper looks tougher to me.

March is huge for us. Each game looks pretty winnable. 3 homes games. All tough, but we need 7-9 points I reckon. the Ipswich win was unbelievably massive. April stinks, do well to 6 points from those 6 games

See my post on The League of 4 thread for the current breakdown - Rotherham have it relatively easy compared to us.

retro royal

by retro royal » 04 Mar 2019 10:07

Old Man Andrews
retro royal My biggest gripe from Saturday, is that after halftime we came out looking to hold on to a 1 goal lead and gave the initiative to Ipswich, kick off goes back to Ipswich ball in the air just in our half, Meite gets a free kick just in our half, we could put a few up front put a long ball in, we could try to play it down the wing, but no we pass it all the way back, muck about with it, then lose it give Ipswich an opportunity, not only that but then we can't break out.

Ipswich were always going to come at us, they were at home and had to win that game. It was to be expected and nowhere near as bad as the Rotherham game. We haven't got the midfielders capable of controlling a game away from home, we were always going to have to ride our luck for periods.

Did you not read my post, straight from the kick off ..... we handed them the initiative, yes they may have come at us but we allowed it with negative tactics/play

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2019 10:09

retro royal
Old Man Andrews

Did you not read my post, straight from the kick off ..... we handed them the initiative, yes they may have come at us but we allowed it with negative tactics

We were 1-0 at half time and relatively comfortable. They are the home side and had to beat us, were you expecting them to not come at us? Wow. The team board is at an all time low.

retro royal

by retro royal » 04 Mar 2019 10:19

Old Man Andrews
retro royal
Old Man Andrews

Did you not read my post, straight from the kick off ..... we handed them the initiative, yes they may have come at us but we allowed it with negative tactics

We were 1-0 at half time and relatively comfortable. They are the home side and had to beat us, were you expecting them to not come at us? Wow. The team board is at an all time low.

You my friend are an absolute bell

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2019 10:26

retro royal
Old Man Andrews
retro royal

You my friend are an absolute bell

No, I am right.