Gomes after 10 League Games

252 posts
elrey

Re: Gomes after 10 League Games

by elrey » 14 Apr 2019 12:08

Nameless Don’t think the appointment was a punt at all. Just because fans rely on Wikipedia for their partial info doesn’t mean the club did.
His Cv was wrongly seen by some as showing a guy who couldn’t stick at a Job for more than a handful of games and hadhad no success. That was a very unfair interpretation and should perhaps be a lesson that we actually don’t know much. The initial reaction from some to loan signings has similarly been made to look rather daft.

Actually his CV shows a guy who generally takes clubs and makes them worse.

Team 1 = Leiria G5 W0 D2 L3 - Not a great season for Leiria in 2004/5, they won 8, drew 14 and lost 12. Then Gomes took over, first job, and got fired after 5 matches. Club finished 7th that season, won 13, drew 8 and lost 13. Not bad considering the first five games. Certainly did a worse job than the man before AND after him

Team 2 = Moreirense G9 W4 D1 4 - to be fair, the club had been relegated the previous season and would be relegated again under Gomes. To be honest I can't see why they were relegated. They finished 13th and the teams below them were all relegated, but Moreirense were also.

Then again in their last 6 matches before Gomes took over, they had won 2, drew 2 and lost 2. So, he really didn't improve on that.

Team 3 = Aves G13 W2 D3 L8 They finished 16th the previous season, a disaster after having finished 2nd the season before. Gomes took over at the end of that season and got 13 games into the next season before being fired. The club would finish 8th winning 10, drawing 9 and losing 11. Yes, 8 of those loses came under Gomes, so, after he left they lost 3 in the next 17 games. Clearly the guy after him was better.

Team 4 = Portugal wasn't working out for him, and six years later he went to Hungary and at Videoton he had G52 W29 D10 L13. This is his best record ever, a 55% win ration. They finished second. Context they finished 2nd the season before, won the league the season before that, second the season before that. Second season, the club finished 4th. Worst season for a long time.

Team 5 = Al Taawoun - G56 W24 D12 L20 finishing 9th. Context, they'd finished 6th the previous season. Though he got them up to finish fourth in his second season

And since then it kind of went downhill. Team 4 and 5 were his best years.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Apr 2019 12:38

Just goes to show a look at his Wikipedia page does not tell the whole story.

Gomes started out as a fitness coach and worked at some successful clubs. Fitness was a big issue for us. By all accounts he had a strong reputation in Portugal as a good man manager, again something we desparately needed. It would seem the club did due dilligence which included talking to people who actually know him.

It all goes back to past record meaning very little and alot being down to you being a good fit. From day 1 Gomes seems to have had his finger on what the problems were at the club so I can only think he did his due dilligence on the club and he would have seen a fundamentally decent club still recovering from 2 years of piss poor ownership. He is an extremely good fit for the club and I can't see that as being a fluke.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Apr 2019 14:10

Greatwesternline It’s worked out well so far. But would it have worked out well with another big name?

Nope.
"There is nobody out there that could do any better than Clement".

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Apr 2019 14:40

From Despair To Where? Just goes to show a look at his Wikipedia page does not tell the whole story.

Gomes started out as a fitness coach and worked at some successful clubs. Fitness was a big issue for us. By all accounts he had a strong reputation in Portugal as a good man manager, again something we desparately needed. It would seem the club did due dilligence which included talking to people who actually know him.

It all goes back to past record meaning very little and alot being down to you being a good fit. From day 1 Gomes seems to have had his finger on what the problems were at the club so I can only think he did his due dilligence on the club and he would have seen a fundamentally decent club still recovering from 2 years of piss poor ownership. He is an extremely good fit for the club and I can't see that as being a fluke.

Think you also have to take into account it’s not ‘just’ Gomes. I can’t claim to know the ins and outs of his coaching staff, but he comes as a team of 4. He’s probably refined that over the years.

We definitely look better trained. Fitter, better control on the ball, better organised. That’s a team coaching effort

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Apr 2019 17:49

Stranded Typical Team Board. The guy has turned us around and there are if, buts and even people seeming to be preparing for him to eventually fail.

I doubt that any Reading supporter wants a manager to fail. The club isn't in the best of financial health. Re-establishing ourselves as a competitive Championship team are some way off yet. When we are back comfortably in mid table I feel a lot more happier.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 14 Apr 2019 18:12

Lower West
Stranded Typical Team Board. The guy has turned us around and there are if, buts and even people seeming to be preparing for him to eventually fail.

I doubt that any Reading supporter wants a manager to fail. The club isn't in the best of financial health. Re-establishing ourselves as a competitive Championship team are some way off yet. When we are back comfortably in mid table I feel a lot more happier.

Maybe Brentford will get bigger home crowds in their new stadium, and maybe they need to do something else than be comfortably mid table, instead.

Last year this time the chances of Reading going down felt less likely than it does now, yet I am glad I went yesterday for the atmosphere alone, and will try to get to Bristol next week. Last year, it felt more like duty.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Apr 2019 01:07

Can we all just stop arguing?

The clubs in a better position now. And that’s a good thing?

Clement was uninspiring and dragging the whole club down. Gomes is doing something right. We might lose games but after 50 minutes we’re not giving up. In fact we’re getting late goals.

Gomes has finally given this team some balls.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Apr 2019 12:12

leon

I think that's the kit man's job

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Apr 2019 12:58

Snowball
leon

I thought it was their mother's.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Apr 2019 14:42

CountryRoyal
Snowball
leon

I thought it was their mother's.

That is definitely wrong

Xy

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 17 Apr 2019 22:37

leon Can we all just stop arguing?

Clement was uninspiring and dragging the whole club down. Gomes is doing something right. We might lose games but after 50 minutes we’re not giving up. In fact we’re getting late goals.

Not just Clement, Gourley was also to blame.
Howe coming back in along with Gomes and his team and whoever the bloke was who found the loanees have transformed the club , it's good going to games again.
Didn't take them that long either

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Apr 2019 22:59

72 bus

Howe coming back in along with Gomes and his team and whoever the bloke was who found the loanees have transformed the club , it's good going to games again.

If you haven't listened to @elmparkroyals interview with Liam Moore which he posted today, it is well worth a listen. Loads of interesting stuff in there.
But it seems from what Moore said about the transfer request etc at the start of this season that "two people looking after transfers and that side of things" pissed him off, went back on promises about contracts, wouldn't answer calls etc - sounds like it was Gourlay, and some side kick (he'd nothing but praise for BT, so it wasn't him).
So I'd agree - it's a combination of Gourlay and Clement going that's made such a difference.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 18 Apr 2019 00:17

muirinho
72 bus

If you haven't listened to @elmparkroyals interview with Liam Moore which he posted today, it is well worth a listen. Loads of interesting stuff in there.
But it seems from what Moore said about the transfer request etc at the start of this season that "two people looking after transfers and that side of things" pissed him off, went back on promises about contracts, wouldn't answer calls etc - sounds like it was Gourlay, and some side kick (he'd nothing but praise for BT, so it wasn't him).
So I'd agree - it's a combination of Gourlay and Clement going that's made such a difference.

Gourlay and Falk.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Apr 2019 07:23

Have only listened to about 20 mins of it so far, but it’s a very interesting listen

The Clement stuff was good, and does explain a few things

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2019 07:56

Hound Have only listened to about 20 mins of it so far, but it’s a very interesting listen

Sounded like he commanded zero respect to me, just doesn't have the credibility as a manager. Bit like a junior version of Steve McLaren. Great on the training field but useless as a man manager or tactician.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2019 08:02

Hound Have only listened to about 20 mins of it so far, but it’s a very interesting listen

Any chance of a quick summary on the Clement stuff?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2019 08:04

Snowflake Royal

Just given you one above as you well know. Just ignore it though eh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2019 08:07

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal

I'm not interested in your interpretation, I'm interested in a summary of what was said from Hound, because he's reliable and a good poster.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2019 08:08

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal Any chance of a quick summary on the Clement stuff?

I'm not interested in your interpretation, I'm interested in a summary of what was said from Hound, because he's reliable and a good poster.

Unlike you.

You just got the summary Mr Arrogance.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Apr 2019 10:47

Old Man Andrews

Sounded like he commanded zero respect to me, just doesn't have the credibility as a manager. Bit like a junior version of Steve McLaren. Great on the training field but useless as a man manager or tactician.

Significant that he said that Gomes was a much better communicator, even though he expected that Clement would be.

Also liked what he said about Gomes dividing the pitch into zones. Red zone, at the back - stick to your role, stick to the rules, etc. Green zone up top - do whatever you like. That freedom to be creative is certainly where the extra goals from play are coming from.

252 posts