Bftg- Wigan (h)

149 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Bftg- Wigan (h)

by Lower West » 09 Mar 2019 23:47

We all know Swift's strengths and weaknesses. Today I was impressed with his willingness to get get stuck in, to keep going , keep trying to push the team forward. Similarly Loader who towards the end started to make a positive contribution. The plight of the club is now very apparent. These guys and the others are the future. They will improve, they will get better as experienced is gained. For a team that has been cobbled together there is a real spirit. Even the loan players are prepared to put in a shift. Easy for them not to feel any allegience to the club.

Two late goals in succesive weeks. 4 points gained. Is the point at which the season turns in our favour.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Mar 2019 23:55

Muskrat
NewCorkSeth
windermereROYAL
He did say one of the worse, Swansea was a street behind this one.

I know it says a lot about us this season but I wouldn't have put that in our top 20 worst performances.

You see this really crystallises how we look at ourselves atm when the metric we use to measure ourselves is the relative shitness when measured against other shit performances and whilst we're all pleased with today's result, frankly it could quite as easily have been yet another abject defeat against a bang average side.

Under Stam the only game I recall where we truly battled was Burton Albion (away). Thought that the corner had turned that evening. Though we returned to type and Stam ultimately got the sack. We are a bang average side still. That needs a couple of bang average physical combative players. Then the technically better players can show what they can do more often.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Mar 2019 00:09

Fitness was a big issue last season. It’s no longer a problem. These late late goals are saving our season. It was just brilliant to see so many fans losing it at the end. Just brilliant.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Mar 2019 00:09

When was the last time we came from behind twice to win a game?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Mar 2019 00:11

We were 2-0 down at Bristol with about twenty minutes to go,
Kelly got one back and we went on to win 2-3.

I had a tenner on the comeback at 125-1

Was that Xmas 2016 or January 17?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Mar 2019 00:12

Snowball We were 2-0 down at Bristol with about twenty minutes to go,

The latter

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Mar 2019 00:54

January 17 but I’m asking about a match when we have come from behind twice to win rather than win from two goals behind.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Mar 2019 01:05

What can you say? An utter shambles of a performance for 89 minutes but the character at the end was tremendous. Not going to bother with ratings, I think my ratings up to the 89th minute might differ from the end results but a few points

- that ref was the worst ref I've seen in a long time. Our 1st wasn't a foul, the second shouldn't have happened and there was a case of mistaken identity which prevented their LB from getting sent off, very few people seem to have noticed it around me, even from the other side of the ground

- this fluid front four is nonsense, let them stick to a position for 90 minutes, not float around in different areas of the pitch

- Baker and Blackett were the pick of the bunch today, I have to admit Baker is really winning me round after a really poor start. Ejaria, less so, I like his quick feet to get out of situations but not in your own box, nearly cost us against Blackburn and it cost us today

- I know I've said it before, and I was shut down by a certain poster, but Liam Moore is absolute garbage with the ball at his feet. When you play in this system, and have 15 yards of space to run into, you simply HAVE to exploit it, not just pass to Blackett who's got a marker behind him. Sorry to say it, but he doesn't suit this style of play, he's too slow, it wasn't as noticeable in Stam's because everyone played in tortoise mode, but it sticks out like a sore thumb here

- front four were abject, but three of them scored, so it feels wrong saying that. Peach of a freekick from Swift, he's got a knack for doing that, similarly well struck by Barrow (didn't know he had it in him) and nice header from Meite. Harriott, someone I've been a critic of however, was really good off the bench, really impressed by his cameo

- please stop with the short freekicks and corners, you saw how we scored the last goal today, please

- thank you Jose Gomes for bringing the fans and everyone back together, it truly feels like better times are ahead after a ropey start from him

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Mar 2019 01:20

Zip

January 17 but I’m asking about a match when we have come from behind twice to win rather than win from two goals behind.

Sorry Zip. I wrote that in response to earlier "come-back" posts and we crossed

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Mar 2019 01:22

Zip When was the last time we came from behind twice to win a game?

Think it was Ipswich 2011-12 season two late goals that game from Pearce and hunt

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Mar 2019 01:37

URZZZZ What can you say? An utter shambles of a performance for 89 minutes but the character at the end was tremendous. Not going to bother with ratings, I think my ratings up to the 89th minute might differ from the end results but a few points

- that ref was the worst ref I've seen in a long time. Our 1st wasn't a foul, the second shouldn't have happened and there was a case of mistaken identity which prevented their LB from getting sent off, very few people seem to have noticed it around me, even from the other side of the ground

- this fluid front four is nonsense, let them stick to a position for 90 minutes, not float around in different areas of the pitch

- Baker and Blackett were the pick of the bunch today, I have to admit Baker is really winning me round after a really poor start. Ejaria, less so, I like his quick feet to get out of situations but not in your own box, nearly cost us against Blackburn and it cost us today

- I know I've said it before, and I was shut down by a certain poster, but Liam Moore is absolute garbage with the ball at his feet. When you play in this system, and have 15 yards of space to run into, you simply HAVE to exploit it, not just pass to Blackett who's got a marker behind him. Sorry to say it, but he doesn't suit this style of play, he's too slow, it wasn't as noticeable in Stam's because everyone played in tortoise mode, but it sticks out like a sore thumb here

- front four were abject, but three of them scored, so it feels wrong saying that. Peach of a freekick from Swift, he's got a knack for doing that, similarly well struck by Barrow (didn't know he had it in him) and nice header from Meite. Harriott, someone I've been a critic of however, was really good off the bench, really impressed by his cameo

- please stop with the short freekicks and corners, you saw how we scored the last goal today, please

- thank you Jose Gomes for bringing the fans and everyone back together, it truly feels like better times are ahead after a ropey start from him

Good post. I thought Harriott was terrific. He was really strong and didn’t get outmuscled. He needs to start ahead of GMac who was dreadful.
We were very poor but somehow got away with it.
Passing from both Moore and Miazga was very poor.
I can’t agree about Blackett though. Once again he was on the wrong side of his opponent on occasions and caught out. He didn’t exactly bust a gut to race back when Martinez’s throw didn’t reach him. He is frustrating because he is talented.
Meite may look clumsy but once again he scored a crucial goal. He comes across as very humble. I hope he turns into a bit of a legend for us.

Up until today I thought Loader was ready for the first team but he really struggled again and needs to start next season loan to a League on team where he may start knocking in some goals.
A big +1 re Gomes. So good to see the passion amongst supporters, players and the manager. It’s been missing for so long.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Mar 2019 01:43

Zip
URZZZZ What can you say? An utter shambles of a performance for 89 minutes but the character at the end was tremendous. Not going to bother with ratings, I think my ratings up to the 89th minute might differ from the end results but a few points

Good post. I thought Harriott was terrific. He was really strong and didn’t get outmuscled. He needs to start ahead of GMac who was dreadful.
We were very poor but somehow got away with it.
Passing from both Moore and Miazga was very poor.
I can’t agree about Blackett though. Once again he was on the wrong side of his opponent on occasions and caught out. He didn’t exactly bust a gut to race back when Martinez’s throw didn’t reach him. He is frustrating because he is talented.
Meite may look clumsy but once again he scored a crucial goal. He comes across as very humble. I hope he turns into a bit of a legend for us.

Up until today I thought Loader was ready for the first team but he really struggled again and needs to start next season loan to a League on team where he may start knocking in some goals.
A big +1 re Gomes. So good to see the passion amongst supporters, players and the manager. It’s been missing for so long.

I think Blackett is very much a marmite player, he’s got such good vision and can pick out a good range of passes. He’s quick, and can deliver a good cross

But, and this is my only real gripe with him, is that he plays like he’s on an afternoon stroll, when he’s caught out of position he should be busting a gut to get back into position and he just casually jogs back. Even going forward at times, it looks like he has no oomph sometimes

I do like Blackett but can equally see why people don’t rate him. Much like I didn’t rate Ilori but I could see people’s arguments to why they liked him

As for loader, he didn’t really look ready before and he didn’t look much better today, problem is he’s just a bit too slow on the ball. Don’t get me wrong, most of our players are like that but he takes one too many touches at times, this is why I advocated a loan in a lower league rather than more reserve football so he can get used to the tempo of the game

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 10 Mar 2019 01:55

I don’t know if Gomes is good or just a lucky manager. We were so bad despite the result I can’t give anyone man of the match. We seemed obsessed with passing backwards and sideways, we created nothing and we’re 2nd best for the vast majority of the game.. we can’t keep being lucky and scrape last minute wins. Play like that we will go down.
The performance was summed up when we had a free kick on the half way line with the score at one all.
Instead of knocking it forward on a windy day and causing problems in the opponents area we pass backwards to the keeper who under pressure puts the full back in the corner he hits it forward we lose the ball from where we had the original free kick, Wigan then win a free kick win a corner and nearly score. All resulting from us not hitting the ball forward from a free kick. The last ten minutes surprise surprise we start going long and create openings.
At times football is a simple game when your in a relegation scrap don’t over complicate things.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Mar 2019 02:20

Jackson Corner I don’t know if Gomes is good or just a lucky manager. We were so bad despite the result I can’t give anyone man of the match. We seemed obsessed with passing backwards and sideways, we created nothing and we’re 2nd best for the vast majority of the game.. we can’t keep being lucky and scrape last minute wins. Play like that we will go down.
The performance was summed up when we had a free kick on the half way line with the score at one all.
Instead of knocking it forward on a windy day and causing problems in the opponents area we pass backwards to the keeper who under pressure puts the full back in the corner he hits it forward we lose the ball from where we had the original free kick, Wigan then win a free kick win a corner and nearly score. All resulting from us not hitting the ball forward from a free kick. The last ten minutes surprise surprise we start going long and create openings.
At times football is a simple game when your in a relegation scrap don’t over complicate things.

We certainly rode our luck today and last week but at the death we won today because we went for it. It was noticeable in the final minutes how many players we pushed forward for set pieces.
Just to also say it was good to see Gomes walking around the pitch at the end applauding the supporters. He has brought back some passion and fight to the club.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 10 Mar 2019 02:33

Still can't talk........

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Mar 2019 03:06

Loader isn't a lone striker or a central defensive midfielder so it's unsurprising he didn't look his best yesterday.

For what it's worth I thought he did quite well at being a nuisance up front against the bigger and stronger Olsson.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Mar 2019 03:59

sandman For what it's worth I thought Loader did quite well at being a nuisance up front against the bigger and stronger Olsson.

As you'd know, he'd better get used to that in this div. It is what it is, and we don't get to make the rules. It will be no use us playing the sympathy card each week. But yes, he came in to it more as the game progressed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Mar 2019 06:45

Would definitely agree Loader grew into the game. I thought he was good in the last 20 and I was thinking he may well score

One thing that I really like about this team is the passion of the loan signings. Quite why they seem to passionate towards Reading I’m not sure, but someone is doing something right. Starting to like Baker a lot and he was absolutely roaring after the last goal and at the end.

Massive difference compared to the likes of Martin, Mutch, Piazon etc from over the last few years

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Mar 2019 08:00

Interesting differences of opinion about Loader.
I thought he looked much more comfortable as part of the team today.
He was bringing the ball forward, beating men and looked stronger than he had done. Previously he looked what he was, a boy stuck into a men’s game, whereas today Indon’t think you would have picked him out as a youngster.
He also beat Olson in the air several times and Olson resorted to throwing himself to the ground to win freekickcs more than once when competing with Loader . Having said that I thought Olson was absolutely awful anyway.
Loader still has a way to go but my view was yesterday was an encouraging performance. Perhaps he knew Oliesi was on the bench and competing for his position !

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Mar 2019 08:04

Hound Would definitely agree Loader grew into the game. I thought he was good in the last 20 and I was thinking he may well score

One thing that I really like about this team is the passion of the loan signings. Quite why they seem to passionate towards Reading I’m not sure, but someone is doing something right. Starting to like Baker a lot and he was absolutely roaring after the last goal and at the end.

Massive difference compared to the likes of Martin, Mutch, Piazon etc from over the last few years

Many of our recent loan signings have been at the other end of their career to the ones we have now, farmed out because they were surplus to requirements.
Obviously most of this lot have had previous loan spells but Imthink they are still at the stage where they expect to have a big future at a higher level and they are genuinely playing to build their career.

149 posts