Bftg- Wigan (h)

149 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Bftg- Wigan (h)

by Vision » 12 Mar 2019 10:32

URZZZZ
2 world wars, 1 world cup 1)

5) As did Meite. I f**king love Meite. Give me 11 Meites and I'll love watching the team.

Meite is and was woeful on Saturday, good header at the end aside. He's painfully slow for someone that looks quick, his holdup play is atrocious and he doesn't even win many headers. Can't fault his effort/passion, but put me on a pitch and I'd show effort and passion so it's a bit of a nonsense argument

Played a major part in the injury time winning goals in successive weeks which would suggest he has something more to offer than simply running around a lot and charming Micky Gooding in post match interviews.

In an ideal world I wouldn't have him in our starting line up because I believe we have better players when all are fit but it's good to know that he can contribute when we've so many injuries and in terms of physicality he offers something different to what we have.

It's easy to focus on his limitations (because he has plenty for sure) but he's still relatively young and is contributing. I think he warrants a little more respect than he gets given by many.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Mar 2019 10:49

Vision
URZZZZ

5) As did Meite. I f**king love Meite. Give me 11 Meites and I'll love watching the team.

Meite is and was woeful on Saturday, good header at the end aside. He's painfully slow for someone that looks quick, his holdup play is atrocious and he doesn't even win many headers. Can't fault his effort/passion, but put me on a pitch and I'd show effort and passion so it's a bit of a nonsense argument

Played a major part in the injury time winning goals in successive weeks which would suggest he has something more to offer than simply running around a lot and charming Micky Gooding in post match interviews.

In an ideal world I wouldn't have him in our starting line up because I believe we have better players when all are fit but it's good to know that he can contribute when we've so many injuries and in terms of physicality he offers something different to what we have.

It's easy to focus on his limitations (because he has plenty for sure) but he's still relatively young and is contributing. I think he warrants a little more respect than he gets given by many.

His holdup play for Barrow's winner v Ipswich was quality.

I like him.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Mar 2019 11:55

Hendo
Vision
URZZZZ

His holdup play for Barrow's winner v Ipswich was quality.

I like him.

Very much a confidence player too. Can see him going on another scoring run now that he's got one.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Mar 2019 12:06

Given that we only play with one striker, we couldn't ask for much more from our third choice striker.

Don't think he's good enough as a wide option if we want to move up the table.

Yes he has his flaws, but he's much better than someone like Manset. He has genuine quality.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Mar 2019 12:12

As mentioned, I thought he was absolutely great around the Millwall (h) time.

He looks like someone who needs to go on a bit of a run, get fully fit and firing. Coming in and out of the team doesn't suit him

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 12 Mar 2019 14:09

LWJ
The Royal Forester
LWJ 2 goals, Ejari's injury, the injuries after the first Wigan goal (there were two), Ejari's substitution.

The trainer came on twice during the first half.

But, according to you, time was added on in the second half for first half injuries and treatment.

?? you're a oxf*rd mong christ.

Takes one to know one. If you lose a discussion because you have no answer, please just shut up and not resort to insults.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Mar 2019 15:33

Vision
URZZZZ

Yeah, my take is this club hasn't been best situation for him really. In ideal world for me, he'd have had (or will have) a loan in div 1.
Here, under our various managers, he hasn't really been good enough for them to commit to him for long stretches, esp playing with lone striker, and given the other strikers we've had.
He's a workhorse, and when he's in and out, think he has tendency to quite quickly lose fitness, game shape/speed/timing/rhythm/confidence, etc. (Rooney was like that, too).
This was evident (to me) on Sat when he looked green and raw, almost like he was a new signing and playing his first game for the club.
Next season, again, if we stay up and sign Oliveira, Bod returns, Nova, sign someone else, etc, it wouldn't make for ideal situation for him, given the type of player I'm thinking he is, and what he responds best to.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 12 Mar 2019 17:43

Denver Royal Yeah, my take is this club hasn't been best situation for him really. In ideal world for me, he'd have had (or will have) a loan in div 1.
Here, under our various managers, he hasn't really been good enough for them to commit to him for long stretches, esp playing with lone striker, and given the other strikers we've had.

He did play 31 times for Sochaux last season, so it's not like hasn't been getting first team experience elsewhere...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Mar 2019 17:51

Denver Royal
Vision
URZZZZ

Yeah, my take is this club hasn't been best situation for him really. In ideal world for me, he'd have had (or will have) a loan in div 1.
He's a workhorse, and when he's in and out, think he has tendency to quite quickly lose fitness, game shape/speed/timing/rhythm/confidence, etc. (Rooney was like that, too).
This was evident (to me) on Sat when he looked green and raw, almost like he was a new signing and playing his first game for the club.
Next season, again, if we stay up and sign Oliveira, Bod returns, Nova, sign someone else, etc, it wouldn't make for ideal situation for him, given the type of player I'm thinking he is, and what he responds best to.

I know in my team sheet for tonight I selected him up front but it seems like Gomes knows he wants him to play wing (perhaps with other players in mind for upfront next season?) And is trying to play him there as much as possible to prep him for next season rather than solely focusing on the now. Which is good.

149 posts