McCleary - 6.1
Ejaria - 6.3
Swift - 7.7
Meite - 7.4
Barrow - 7.7 & MotM

Subs
Harriot - 7.2
Loader - 6.4

Edit: One Wigan player that attracted some negative comments from Reading fans was Olsson, who was rated at 6.2, third lowest of the Wigan starters.

Source: https://threeamigoswigan.com/2019/03/10 ... ng-defeat/
Screen capture from WhoScored.com at the end of the article.

How are they done ? Off the BBC text commentary perhaps ?

Singing Defective

Re: Bftg- Wigan (h)

by Singing Defective » 10 Mar 2019 18:55

Nameless
Singing Defective
RoyalBlue
The ref and his myopic assistant on the East Stand completely failed to notice the thug Olsson deliberately lead with his fist in an early aerial challenge with Loader, even though it was right under their noses.

Yep, that got an ooof from a lot in Y21. Loader should have made more of that.

Why did Ventura, the Ace ref waddle over from the East Stand and show Gomes yellow?

Which incident do you mean ? Gomes got a yellow for celebrating the 3rd goal with the players.
Earlier one of the backroom staff got a yellow for a late tackle on the 4th official (probably not, but it’s as likely as anything else as it was all a bit weird)

It was the early incident..seemed the yellow was aimed at Gomes, but as it was in shadow, I couldn’t see what was going on, apart from Wigan coaching staff getting animated.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Mar 2019 19:15

I genuinely didnt know you could give a coach a yellow until yesterday. I thought it was sent to the stands or nowt.

Im assuming the coach got lippy with the 4th official or had a ruckus with ths Wigan bench because he seemed to be gesturing in that directionwhen carded

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Mar 2019 19:28

He was jumping up at every opportunity to shout at the ref that Wigan players should get carded it seemed.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 10 Mar 2019 19:29

Yesterday was a day we've been missing at the Mad Stad for years.

Who cares who was shite and who was good for us. The last few minutes was what supporting your club is all about.
Makes a change from trudging out the ground effing and jeffing at the lack of entertainment and another loss.

Ipswich and yesterday makes following this club bloody fantastic.

At least dirty Leeds is a game we (on paper) are expected to lose and anything else is a bonus.
Mind you I will probably be effing and jeffing when we trudge out having been hammered :wink:

Emeraldroyal

by Emeraldroyal » 10 Mar 2019 19:54

Oilroyal
Emeraldroyal
Oilroyal Delayed BFTG
Went expecting very little but came away buzzing. The players wanted it and I thought worked hard. They tried to pull things off which didn’t always work but they never stopped trying which ultimately got us a much-needed win.

I don’t think any player played badly. Some played better than others. Thought Swift had a good game and Loader impressed me for the first time. But most importantly, I thought we looked like a team and we played like a team. Wigan were proper division 3 shithouses almost panto-like, they deserved nothing from the game. Least said about the ref the better, just shocking.

The atmosphere in the ground took me back to the “real good old days” when fans knew how to push the team on, and the players knew what it would take to get the win.

Those who say we were rubbish for 80 minutes need a reality check. We’ve not played consistently well for years, you probably need to go back as far as McDermott’s 2011/12 season for that. But I’ll except the moaners BFTG comments in exchange for 10 minutes per game of utter magic, passion and excitement, fans participation and a 3pt late goal win. I’ll take that any day.

Mate, we were RUBBISH for 80 minutes. I don’t need a reality check thank you very much.
The body language was wrong and you could see players arguing with each other. They don’t quite know what they are supposed to be doing.
But for a quality strike from Barrow and a bit of last minute momentum, we could and possibly should have been looking at a loss to a shitebag northern monkey team who are the enemy of football from what I saw yesterday.

But as others have alluded to, it was a bonkers ride and a bonkers way to win a game so in terms of being entertained yeah maybe. But the cracks are simply being papered over I’m afraid. I’m naturally cynical.

Small mention to the idiotic Wigan fans making a complete show of themselves outside the away section after the game. I sincerely hope Thames Valleys finest gave you a good shoeing. You’re an embarrassment to your club and my 10 year old son was shaking.
Shame on you.

Keep it going boys Urrrrzzzzzzz

So, for 80 minutes some fans thought that we looked the same as we have done under umpteen managers, 3 owners and an endless list of players over the past 5 or 6 seasons, agreed. What I don’t agree with is that they weren’t trying to put moves together and weren’t trying to make things happen in those 80 minutes. I don’t think anyone went missing in the game. Agreed things didn’t come off but no one player can be labelled as not being arsed yesterday.
You pay your money and you see the game how you want to see it. I saw a group of players, technically better than the opposition but not quite pulling things off. Wigan were just panto wasting time and playing the ref. We played to win that game from the start, took us until 80 minutes to get in the groove but we wanted a win. I paid my money and that’s how I saw it. It's a funny old game :)

You’re not wrong they can’t be faulted for lack of effort or running their socks off. And yes Wigan were stone age and tried to kick their way through the game, but the point I’m making is about longevity and the ‘plan’ ! I can’t for the life of me see what ours is...swift (goal aside) was pretty poor yesterday. We have nobody who can put their foot on the ball and look up in midfield to create an opening. Miete is not the solution either despite one almost worldly and of course a winning goal (silly as that might sound)
Survival is clearly key but can you tell me what Gomes’s vision is and how he’s gonna take us forward ?

Entertaining yes, but a side that’s going anywhere soon ? No sadly not.

I’m normally an optimist but result aside what I saw yesterday was poison in the main. I paid my money and I’m entitled to my opinion.

But onwards and upwards eh 8)

biff

by biff » 10 Mar 2019 20:04

Ejaria did the Danny Williams role very well. Not shy to drive forwards through the middle, something we've lacked. Walking a bit gingerly to his car but no airboot or owt.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Mar 2019 21:42

Snowflake Royal I genuinely didnt know you could give a coach a yellow until yesterday. I thought it was sent to the stands or nowt.

Im assuming the coach got lippy with the 4th official or had a ruckus with ths Wigan bench because he seemed to be gesturing in that directionwhen carded

Always good to have some overexcitable fool as first team coach. All the best teams have them

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Mar 2019 22:02

Emeraldroyal
Oilroyal
Emeraldroyal
Mate, we were RUBBISH for 80 minutes. I don’t need a reality check thank you very much.
The body language was wrong and you could see players arguing with each other. They don’t quite know what they are supposed to be doing.
But for a quality strike from Barrow and a bit of last minute momentum, we could and possibly should have been looking at a loss to a shitebag northern monkey team who are the enemy of football from what I saw yesterday.

But as others have alluded to, it was a bonkers ride and a bonkers way to win a game so in terms of being entertained yeah maybe. But the cracks are simply being papered over I’m afraid. I’m naturally cynical.

Small mention to the idiotic Wigan fans making a complete show of themselves outside the away section after the game. I sincerely hope Thames Valleys finest gave you a good shoeing. You’re an embarrassment to your club and my 10 year old son was shaking.
Shame on you.

So, for 80 minutes some fans thought that we looked the same as we have done under umpteen managers, 3 owners and an endless list of players over the past 5 or 6 seasons, agreed. What I don’t agree with is that they weren’t trying to put moves together and weren’t trying to make things happen in those 80 minutes. I don’t think anyone went missing in the game. Agreed things didn’t come off but no one player can be labelled as not being arsed yesterday.
You pay your money and you see the game how you want to see it. I saw a group of players, technically better than the opposition but not quite pulling things off. Wigan were just panto wasting time and playing the ref. We played to win that game from the start, took us until 80 minutes to get in the groove but we wanted a win. I paid my money and that’s how I saw it. It's a funny old game :)

You’re not wrong they can’t be faulted for lack of effort or running their socks off. And yes Wigan were stone age and tried to kick their way through the game, but the point I’m making is about longevity and the ‘plan’ ! I can’t for the life of me see what ours is...swift (goal aside) was pretty poor yesterday. We have nobody who can put their foot on the ball and look up in midfield to create an opening. Miete is not the solution either despite one almost worldly and of course a winning goal (silly as that might sound)
Survival is clearly key but can you tell me what Gomes’s vision is and how he’s gonna take us forward ?

Entertaining yes, but a side that’s going anywhere soon ? No sadly not.

I’m normally an optimist but result aside what I saw yesterday was poison in the main. I paid my money and I’m entitled to my opinion.

But onwards and upwards eh 8)

Gomes had 2 jobs to do this season - help get us under control financially and keep us in the division. He wasn’t asked to build for the future so this isn’t a team designed to go anywhere (the aim is to stay where we are)
He starts again in the summer. Hopefully not having to sell people he wants to keep, hopefully getting rid of those he doesn’t have a use for. We know he’ll be using more of the U23’s next season (good, they have done well this season and deserve a crack at the first team). Hopefully we’ll see him able to develop a team with a style and character and given the restrictions he’s had to work under I don’t th8nk he’s done a bad job so far.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 10 Mar 2019 22:39

Victor Meldrew Good to see that so many posters saw it how it was-a crap game but a fabulous result.
One thing that is annoying me more and more-the apparent injuries to players.
Both sides were guilty of staying down as if they suffered a career-threatening injury and then bounced up after a drink and a cuddle apart from Ejaria who was genuinely injured..

It was interesting to hear Gomes say afterwards that he doesn't see Meite as a central striker and the plan was for the front three to keep switching-this manager is prepared to explain his thoughts which is so refreshing as a change from the usual claptrap.

That's the last of the "easy" games so let's hope our patched up side can get the much needed points from the "better" teams, starting on Tuesday.

Such a scrappy game. Wigan were so cynical in their behaviour that it brought shame on the historic values of football. The ref was so unbelievably shit I dont need to say anything else. BUT that last 10 mins was like the WBA game of the premier league = a proper fightback and a last minute goal.

Big + for Gomes doing a lap of honour clapping the fans at the end - he knew what that win meant to the fans and the team. Big + too to the team for their reaction to the win.

6 weeks ago we were 5 points behind Wigan and Millwall and they had a game in hand, look at the table now ...

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Mar 2019 22:59

RG7Fan
Victor Meldrew Good to see that so many posters saw it how it was-a crap game but a fabulous result.
One thing that is annoying me more and more-the apparent injuries to players.
Both sides were guilty of staying down as if they suffered a career-threatening injury and then bounced up after a drink and a cuddle apart from Ejaria who was genuinely injured..

It was interesting to hear Gomes say afterwards that he doesn't see Meite as a central striker and the plan was for the front three to keep switching-this manager is prepared to explain his thoughts which is so refreshing as a change from the usual claptrap.

That's the last of the "easy" games so let's hope our patched up side can get the much needed points from the "better" teams, starting on Tuesday.

Such a scrappy game. Wigan were so cynical in their behaviour that it brought shame on the historic values of football. The ref was so unbelievably shit I dont need to say anything else. BUT that last 10 mins was like the WBA game of the premier league = a proper fightback and a last minute goal.

Big + for Gomes doing a lap of honour clapping the fans at the end - he knew what that win meant to the fans and the team. Big + too to the team for their reaction to the win.

6 weeks ago we were 5 points behind Wigan and Millwall and they had a game in hand, look at the table now ...

Well quite.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Mar 2019 23:02

1) Typical scary defence moments continue. Why?

2) I take back what I said about Martinez being the best keeper I've seen. Great saves but that ridiculous throw out for their second? He does it too often. Still the best keeper we've had in a long time.

3) Loader showed the fight and passion that went a big way towards us winning this.

4) As did Barrow.

5) As did Meite. I f**king love Meite. Give me 11 Meites and I'll love watching the team.

Because at the end of the day say what you like about the shit football but it's passion and belief that deservedly won us that game, and it's passion and belief that will keep us up.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Mar 2019 07:46

Emeraldroyal
Oilroyal Delayed BFTG
Went expecting very little but came away buzzing. The players wanted it and I thought worked hard. They tried to pull things off which didn’t always work but they never stopped trying which ultimately got us a much-needed win.

I don’t think any player played badly. Some played better than others. Thought Swift had a good game and Loader impressed me for the first time. But most importantly, I thought we looked like a team and we played like a team. Wigan were proper division 3 shithouses almost panto-like, they deserved nothing from the game. Least said about the ref the better, just shocking.

The atmosphere in the ground took me back to the “real good old days” when fans knew how to push the team on, and the players knew what it would take to get the win.

Those who say we were rubbish for 80 minutes need a reality check. We’ve not played consistently well for years, you probably need to go back as far as McDermott’s 2011/12 season for that. But I’ll except the moaners BFTG comments in exchange for 10 minutes per game of utter magic, passion and excitement, fans participation and a 3pt late goal win. I’ll take that any day.

Shame on you.

Agreed we really were very poor.

Mistakes at the back, Marrinez' awful pass for their second, Ejaria once again dicking around for their first if I remember correctly. I honestly couldn't remember a single shot on goal from free play until Barrow's strike except for a weak shot by GMac. We were poor.

Having said that we did string some great passes together and showed some great touches. And at the end of the day our passion and fight won the game deservedly so.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Mar 2019 09:13

Snowflake Royal I genuinely didnt know you could give a coach a yellow until yesterday. I thought it was sent to the stands or nowt.

Usually you can't caution a non-player, according to the laws. However, the Football League, FA Cup, and League Cup are being used to trial a potential law change this season.

Four yellows is a suspension which seems very generous.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Mar 2019 09:35

Platypuss I thought we were ok up to Ejaria going off (goal aside) and really lost our midfield shape without him.

Agreed with this. Hopefully it isn't too bad and will be available for Saturday (not holding my breath for tomorrow).

Thought we dominated the first part of the game and lost our way when he went off, Metie's early effort was encouraging.

Overall the game was frustrating, their first goal, could've been given as a foul to us in the buildup and their second goal, while it was a mistake from Emi, they still had a massive slice of luck for it to end up where it did, which I didn't realise while watching.

Firstly Moore goes to clear it and it goes straight back to their player and the Powell's overhead could've gone anywhere but it just happened to land at the scorers feet.

The end of the game was quite incredible and as a lot of people have been saying, we haven't had that feeling for a long time. Lady Hendo enjoyed her second ever football match (although she said she enjoyed the 0-1 loss to QPR earlier in the season as well, so who knows! :roll: )

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 11 Mar 2019 10:04

My view from the East Stand was our coach was unhappy with being penalised by the 4th official for being alongside Gomes in the technical area, when the Wigan technical area always had Cook plus A N Other in it. Presume the rule is still only 1 at a time?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 11 Mar 2019 10:35

The Royal Forester
RoyalBlue
windermereROYAL
To be fair he punished Wigan for their cynical timewasting by adding on 12 minutes, which was ultimately their downfall.

The guy was shit! He didn't properly punish them. Merely adding time when a team is deliberately time wasting, not just to run down the clock but more importantly to break down their opponent's momentum and relieve the pressure is not acceptable, nor is it properly punishing them. Match officials should be alert to that 'tactic' and issue yellow cards early on to prevent it continuing.

I think they were properly punished, by us scoring the winner in the time added on for their time wasting. if they hadn't wasted so much time, the game would have finished before our third goal. Serves 'em right!

The time added on was for the amount of injuries and treatments throughout both halves.

Royal Bee

by Royal Bee » 11 Mar 2019 10:43

The beauty of this game was that Wigan really got what they deserved!

On play alone, they probably deserved to win, but from the time they scored their first goal, their main game plan seemed to be to waste time! They were lucky not to get more cards for it.

However, fair play to the referee for adding time on. No long delays for injuries. 1st half, after 1 goal and 1 substitution, he adds 5 minutes. Second half after 3 substitutions and 1 goal (possibly 2, but I suspect he decided the added time before the equaliser), he adds 7 minutes.

Now look at our goals…
1st goal – 1st half stoppage time
2nd goal – From a drop ball, after yet another stoppage for an apparently injured player
3rd goal – 7th minute of injury time

Karma’s a bitch! :lol:

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 11 Mar 2019 10:47

Emeraldroyal .

Shame on you.

Your 10 year old should have been steaming in. How embarrassing for our club that he wasn't.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 11 Mar 2019 10:48

Royal Bee
However, fair play to the referee for adding time on. No long delays for injuries

The delay after their first goal with 2 players down?
The delay with Ejari?
The delay with Moore?
The delay before our second goal?

Did you watch the game?

149 posts