Bftg- Wigan (h)

149 posts
Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Bftg- Wigan (h)

by Coppells Lost Coat » 11 Mar 2019 10:56

LWJ
Royal Bee
However, fair play to the referee for adding time on. No long delays for injuries

The delay after their first goal with 2 players down?
The delay with Ejari?
The delay with Moore?
The delay before our second goal?

Did you watch the game?

Think its referencing phantom injuries, players over doing the injury. General time wasting, petty tapping the ball away or holding the ball.
The keeper, placing ball down slowly, player goes down with an injury then keeper goes back to replace the ball even slower than the first time - all from one goal kick.
Just before our 2nd - we had a decent break after we dispossessed them, there player lays down and ref stops play - didn't look like a head injury. Gets back up after being seen too, comes back on. Wigan then have the nerve to argue that they should compete for the drop ball (??) bit more time wasting.
Last edited by Coppells Lost Coat on 11 Mar 2019 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

yuomi

by yuomi » 11 Mar 2019 10:58

Royality creeps In Yesterday was a day we've been missing at the Mad Stad for years.

Who cares who was shite and who was good for us. The last few minutes was what supporting your club is all about.
Makes a change from trudging out the ground effing and jeffing at the lack of entertainment and another loss.

Ipswich and yesterday makes following this club bloody fantastic.

At least dirty Leeds is a game we (on paper) are expected to lose and anything else is a bonus.
Mind you I will probably be effing and jeffing when we trudge out having been hammered :wink:

Thing is with the Leeds game, if we get properly turned over at home I can see this confidence stricken side sliding all the way back to square 1. In Jose we trust etc., and he seems to have them on a relatively even keel, but if Leeds put 4 or 5 past us it's going to take a lot to come back from and there aren't any gimmes left.

Royal Bee

by Royal Bee » 11 Mar 2019 11:45

LWJ
Royal Bee
However, fair play to the referee for adding time on. No long delays for injuries

The delay after their first goal with 2 players down?
The delay with Ejari?
The delay with Moore?
The delay before our second goal?

Did you watch the game?
I did and I am not saying there were no delays. I am saying the referee was correct to add time for these things. My point is that 99% of the time, if you see 5 minutes of stoppage time at the end of the 1st half and 7 at the end of the 2nd, you will have seen at least one lengthy stoppage for a bad injury, probably involving someone being carried off.

I don't actually recall the stoppage for Moore. Ejari didn't involve a long stoppage.

My point is that normally, when a team repeatedly seems to try to waste time (Such as the delay after their first goal, the delay before our second goal and countless other similar supposed injuries and delays), the referee points at his watch, tells them he is adding time on and then adds about 1 minute.

I was simply praising the referee for adding so much, when they were so unashamedly timewasting and when there was no big, lengthy stoppage

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 11 Mar 2019 12:13

Nameless Interesting differences of opinion about Loader.
I thought he looked much more comfortable as part of the team today.
He was bringing the ball forward, beating men and looked stronger than he had done. Previously he looked what he was, a boy stuck into a men’s game, whereas today Indon’t think you would have picked him out as a youngster.
He also beat Olson in the air several times and Olson resorted to throwing himself to the ground to win freekickcs more than once when competing with Loader . Having said that I thought Olson was absolutely awful anyway.
Loader still has a way to go but my view was yesterday was an encouraging performance. Perhaps he knew Oliesi was on the bench and competing for his position !

He certainly held it up better than the 3 that rotated as the lone central striker in the first half. And yes he won a couple of headers and I think it was him that was fouled on the edge of the box for Swift's free kick.

I do think the criticism of someone above suggesting he takes an unnecessary extra touch at times is valid though. He'll learn no doubt and I feel with all the injuries he may well have a crucial part to play for us in the coming weeks. His first touch is definitely superior to anyone else we have available with Oliveira out injured.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Mar 2019 12:53

I'd like to see him shoot more. Couple of times I felt he could have had a go on Saturday

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 11 Mar 2019 13:11

Hound I'd like to see him shoot more. Couple of times I felt he could have had a go on Saturday

That could be said for a few players, that will come with a bit more self belief. A few times we see players try and hold the ball up waiting for others to support them and then losing it in decent areas.
When Oli come in he was taking pop shots whenever the play needed it, took the gamble of potential corners or catching keeper off guard.

Same can also be said of putting the ball in the box, get it in there and make them defend it. If a decent ball comes in defenders will have to deal with it and we can then compete with the 2nd ball. Not just lose it near the corner flag trying to hold it up.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 11 Mar 2019 13:54

2 world wars, 1 world cup 1)

Loader showed the fight and passion that went a big way towards us winning this.

As did Meite. I f**king love Meite. Give me 11 Meites and I'll love watching the team.

Because at the end of the day say what you like about the shit football but it's passion and belief that deservedly won us that game, and it's passion and belief that will keep us up.

Totally agree with these points. And the passion really showed at the end of the game.
This game really meant something to these players and it was great to see.

Not only that I heard Meite on the radio afterwards and he seemed a very calm rational guy who cares about his team. When he’d finished, there was a short dramatic pause and Mick Gooding said “what a lovely chap, what a really nice guy.” And I think he’s right. Great attitude all round and I would also sign up to having 11 Meites!!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 11 Mar 2019 15:02

Hendo
Platypuss I thought we were ok up to Ejaria going off (goal aside) and really lost our midfield shape without him.

Agreed with this. Hopefully it isn't too bad and will be available for Saturday (not holding my breath for tomorrow).

Thought we dominated the first part of the game and lost our way when he went off, Metie's early effort was encouraging.

Overall the game was frustrating, their first goal, could've been given as a foul to us in the buildup and their second goal, while it was a mistake from Emi, they still had a massive slice of luck for it to end up where it did, which I didn't realise while watching.

Firstly Moore goes to clear it and it goes straight back to their player and the Powell's overhead could've gone anywhere but it just happened to land at the scorers feet.

The end of the game was quite incredible and as a lot of people have been saying, we haven't had that feeling for a long time. Lady Hendo enjoyed her second ever football match (although she said she enjoyed the 0-1 loss to QPR earlier in the season as well, so who knows! :roll: )

Yes I also agree. I thought that was the best I have seen Ejaria play and he was really positive and took the game to Wigan at every opportunity. We didn’t play anything like as fluently after he went off.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 11 Mar 2019 15:27

LWJ
The Royal Forester
RoyalBlue
The guy was shit! He didn't properly punish them. Merely adding time when a team is deliberately time wasting, not just to run down the clock but more importantly to break down their opponent's momentum and relieve the pressure is not acceptable, nor is it properly punishing them. Match officials should be alert to that 'tactic' and issue yellow cards early on to prevent it continuing.

I think they were properly punished, by us scoring the winner in the time added on for their time wasting. if they hadn't wasted so much time, the game would have finished before our third goal. Serves 'em right!

[b][u[b]]The time added on was for the amount of injuries and treatments throughout[i] both halves[/i][/b].

[/u][/b]
So what was the added on time for in the first half?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 Mar 2019 15:55

bcubed

Loader showed the fight and passion that went a big way towards us winning this.

As did Meite. I f**king love Meite. Give me 11 Meites and I'll love watching the team.

Because at the end of the day say what you like about the shit football but it's passion and belief that deservedly won us that game, and it's passion and belief that will keep us up.

Totally agree with these points. And the passion really showed at the end of the game.
This game really meant something to these players and it was great to see.

Not only that I heard Meite on the radio afterwards and he seemed a very calm rational guy who cares about his team. When he’d finished, there was a short dramatic pause and Mick Gooding said “what a lovely chap, what a really nice guy.” And I think he’s right. Great attitude all round and I would also sign up to having 11 Meites!!

Agree, he came across well. Not sure what that actually buys us, but it was a nice interview for sure.
I wasn't quite as high on his performance as some. Not enough movement, didn't win enough headers, didn't hold the ball up well enough (for me). Since his injury he still looks slower to me and not as fit. We needed a huge game from him. It was a big opportunity, and I'm not sure to what extent he really grabbed it. He's still young and learning, though, so I'm hopeful for future. Anyway, all about opinions, etc.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 11 Mar 2019 16:14

The Royal Forester
LWJ
The Royal Forester I think they were properly punished, by us scoring the winner in the time added on for their time wasting. if they hadn't wasted so much time, the game would have finished before our third goal. Serves 'em right!

[b][u[b]]The time added on was for the amount of injuries and treatments throughout[i] both halves[/i][/b].

[/u][/b]

2 goals, Ejari's injury, the injuries after the first Wigan goal (there were two), Ejari's substitution.

The trainer came on twice during the first half.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 11 Mar 2019 18:12

LWJ
The Royal Forester
LWJ [b][u[b]]The time added on was for the amount of injuries and treatments throughout[i] both halves[/i][/b].

[/u][/b]

2 goals, Ejari's injury, the injuries after the first Wigan goal (there were two), Ejari's substitution.

But, according to you, time was added on in the second half for first half injuries and treatment.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Mar 2019 18:25

Jesus Christ, really? I mean I know HNA?! is fond of an inane argument here and there but this is taking the piss a bit. :lol:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 Mar 2019 18:28

Emeraldroyal You’re not wrong they can’t be faulted for lack of effort or running their socks off. And yes Wigan were stone age and tried to kick their way through the game, but the point I’m making is about longevity and the ‘plan’ ! I can’t for the life of me see what ours is...swift (goal aside) was pretty poor yesterday. We have nobody who can put their foot on the ball and look up in midfield to create an opening. Miete is not the solution either despite one almost worldly and of course a winning goal (silly as that might sound)
Survival is clearly key but can you tell me what Gomes’s vision is and how he’s gonna take us forward ?
Entertaining yes, but a side that’s going anywhere soon ? No sadly not.
I’m normally an optimist but result aside what I saw yesterday was poison in the main. I paid my money and I’m entitled to my opinion.
But onwards and upwards eh 8)

Hard to answer your Q's/expectations definitively since Gomes only got here end of Dec, on eve of Jan window.
As such, reckon he did excellent job in getting some players in that have contributed massively, and got rid of some dead wood that we agreed should go. In's/out's will continue in Summer.
Having 'Nobody in Mid to put foot on ball', (if true), is something he obv inherited.
'We're not going anywhere soon' and asking re. 'long term plan', suggests you aren't expecting the former.
'Anywhere soon' prolly needs elaboration. Mid-table consolidation? Playoff run? Auto?
I'm sure the effects of all the injuries isn't lost on you, and harder to see a 'vision' during their impact.
His 'vision' is likely somewhat fluid, as he learns and adjusts to this div. Club signed him and bought off on that.
Summer transfer activity will be indicative and give us more insight.
First order of business will be staying up, and knowing what div we'll be in.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 11 Mar 2019 19:48

First game for me since that Burnley draw.
Thought the atmosphere was pretty decent on the whole considering the quaLOLity of fare served up. Fair fooks to those who've had to endure that on the regs.
Top finish to the game though, (& glad Wigan's anti-football got them the result they deserved).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2019 21:16

Hound I'd like to see him shoot more. Couple of times I felt he could have had a go on Saturday

That was my main criticism of his first spell. He was shot shy, and when he did it lacked conviction. In fact I thought most of his game lacked conviction.

Wouldnt it be great to see him bag his first against Leeds.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Mar 2019 22:13

5) As did Meite. I f**king love Meite. Give me 11 Meites and I'll love watching the team.

Meite is and was woeful on Saturday, good header at the end aside. He's painfully slow for someone that looks quick, his holdup play is atrocious and he doesn't even win many headers. Can't fault his effort/passion, but put me on a pitch and I'd show effort and passion so it's a bit of a nonsense argument

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 12 Mar 2019 08:43

URZZZZ

5) As did Meite. I f**king love Meite. Give me 11 Meites and I'll love watching the team.

Meite is and was woeful on Saturday, good header at the end aside. He's painfully slow for someone that looks quick, his holdup play is atrocious and he doesn't even win many headers. Can't fault his effort/passion, but put me on a pitch and I'd show effort and passion so it's a bit of a nonsense argument

Said at the time that his quickest movement off the ball all game was the run to the bench after scoring.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Mar 2019 09:10

URZZZZ

he's certainly not the same player he was around Millwall/Brizzle, when he was a real handful

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 12 Mar 2019 10:08

The Royal Forester
LWJ
The Royal Forester [/u][/b]

But, according to you, time was added on in the second half for first half injuries and treatment.

?? you're a oxf*rd mong christ.

149 posts