MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (h) sponsored by Brian McDermott

298 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (h) sponsored by Brian McDermott

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Mar 2019 12:34

John Smith
Victor Meldrew
John Smith Leeds lost 1-0 at QPR last week, they're probably about as good as we are right now. I'd say we're easily capable of winning this but I am fully expecting a point at least.

I hope, like you, it is the Leeds of the QPR game-you have forgotten Leeds' win since then at play-off hopefuls Bristol City on Saturday where they won 1-0 and had 16 shots (to 4 for Bristol).
The other stat that might be significant is that they had 4 bookings.

I believe our best chance is for our wingers to get at hothead Alioski ,who is a winger playing at left-back,and not just stand off and let Leeds come at us.
West Brom did that the other day and were smashed 4-0.

I hope the manager doesn't do any more square pegs in round holes and plays a centre-back in Moore's position if he is unfit.
Also I hope that he doesn't play young Loader in midfield-he looks lost there and at the moment is not physically strong enough.

Regular posters will know that I am one of those that doesn't want to see our Welsh International star anywhere near the first team and IIRC he played at left-back up there and got the complete runaround so I will be most disappointed if gets a start tonight.

Victor, I'm not interested in meaningless statistics. The only statistic anyone cares about is goals. All that you've told me there is their forwards can't hit a barn door and that they are a bit ill-disciplined but I knew that anyway. It's football: a very simple game of 11 v 11.

Fine, but you posted the "stat" that they lost at QPR which was 3 games ago (?).
I ponted out that in their next game away to better opposition they won 1-0 and this followed a 4-0 thrashing of fellow promotion contenders WBA.
Regrettably they CAN score goals but let's hope they have a thing about playing against hoops away on a Tueasday night.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2019 12:34

Nameless
Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Nothing from the Stoke game ?
Nothing from Birmingham at home ?
Crazy to pick 3 games and ignore the rest, there will be plenty of unexpected results before the season ends.
Leeds are inconsistent, they are not significantly better than us on current form, the weather will be awful. Thinking we can not get anything from this game is stupid and self fulfilling, Leeds should start favourites but neither a draw or a home win are out if he question.

Birmingham isthe last home game of the season hence why it isn't something to focus on, we will be safe by then. Stoke will beat us.

Seems little point actually playing the games. Just let you guess the results based on no actual evidence at all !

You've just guessed that we will be getting something from Stoke.......

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Mar 2019 12:41

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews
Nope it is a free hit against a team at the top of the league. Totally deluded to think we will realistically get anything from tonights game. The only games we should be focussing on are Preston at home, Hull away and Brentford at home. Three wins and we stay up.

Preston have been on incredible form since we beat them. Hull have lost once at home since 2nd October and Brentford - genuinely who knows what will turn up. Leeds have lost 6 out of their last 13, including to QPR twice, Hull (h), Stoke and Forest.

I don't think we'll get anything either OMA, but be sensible. They are an inconsistent side, if the wrong one turns up we could certainly claim something

How inconsistent can a side be who are sitting 2nd in the league?

One that loses 6 of the last 13?

Also, to break down further. They've won 2 of their last 7 away games. And you're saying we shouldn't even countenance a point?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2019 12:52

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hound
Preston have been on incredible form since we beat them. Hull have lost once at home since 2nd October and Brentford - genuinely who knows what will turn up. Leeds have lost 6 out of their last 13, including to QPR twice, Hull (h), Stoke and Forest.

I don't think we'll get anything either OMA, but be sensible. They are an inconsistent side, if the wrong one turns up we could certainly claim something

How inconsistent can a side be who are sitting 2nd in the league?

One that loses 6 of the last 13?

Also, to break down further. They've won 2 of their last 7 away games. And you're saying we shouldn't even countenance a point?

That is what I said in my original post relating to the game. Our only hope is to pack the midfield and defence and make it tough and frustrate them to try and nick a point. The issue is (I've said 5 times now and nobody seems to get it) the midfield match up. Their two CM's will kill us in the middle of the park and because of the lack of expectations on us for the game I'd like to see a youngster come in and get some experience.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Mar 2019 12:53

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Old Man Andrews Birmingham isthe last home game of the season hence why it isn't something to focus on, we will be safe by then. Stoke will beat us.

Seems little point actually playing the games. Just let you guess the results based on no actual evidence at all !

Not at all.
I have questioned why you would not plan on getting points from any but 3 of our remaining games.
I have no idea what the results of the remaining games willbe but am pretty sure Gomes won’t put all his eggs in 3 baskets.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2019 12:54

Nameless
Old Man Andrews
Nameless

Not at all.
I have questioned why you would not plan on getting points from any but 3 of our remaining games.
I have no idea what the results of the remaining games willbe but am pretty sure Gomes won’t put all his eggs in 3 baskets.

Are you implying teams and managers don't target certain games?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Mar 2019 12:59

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Old Man Andrews

Not at all.

Are you suggesting teams and managers don’t bother with certain games ?
You can’t target future games and ignore the one staring you in the face. The old ‘one game at a time’ isn’t just a cliche....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2019 13:02

Nameless
Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Not at all.

You can’t target future games and ignore the one staring you in the face. The old ‘one game at a time’ isn’t just a cliche....

Yes I am saying managers do not bother with certain games depending on their league positon, always have and always will. They play weakened teams, experiment etc. Are you not aware of this?

Teams in our position will always target games which are more winnable than others.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2019 13:03

Hound much as I'd absolutely hate to see him play normally, I think McShane is a better option than Gunter. Gunter has been useless this year and little better than McShane. And would mean playing someone out of position.

Just hope Moore is either fit or back very soon.

A starting line up with McShane and Kelly is a depressing thought tbh, but thats prob the way to go

LOL at me saying this, but Gunter has been fine this season IMO and is better than McShane.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Mar 2019 13:06

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Old Man Andrews

Yes I am saying managers do not bother with certain games depending on their league positon, always have and always will. They play weakened teams, experiment etc. Are you not aware of this?

Teams in our position will always target games which are more winnable than others.

Pure nonsense !
We are in no position to throw away points by playing a deliberately weakened team or experimenting.
You are muddling 2 utterly different ways things.
Gomes will undoubtably have a view on where he can get points but he won’t then throw away other games.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Mar 2019 13:10

Snowflake Royal
Hound much as I'd absolutely hate to see him play normally, I think McShane is a better option than Gunter. Gunter has been useless this year and little better than McShane. And would mean playing someone out of position.

A starting line up with McShane and Kelly is a depressing thought tbh, but thats prob the way to go

LOL at me saying this, but Gunter has been fine this season IMO and is better than McShane.

Agreed Ian, Gunter has been fine spending time on the bench and having a kick around at half-time. :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Mar 2019 13:14

I honestly can't think of anything positive he has done. Or anything at all really. Only single thing that comes to my mind was that handball thing on tv (against Leeds?), when he punched the ball when it was still in play.

And yes, lots of kicking it around at halftime trying to get the ball to roll between McCleary's legs from long range

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2019 13:15

Gunter, Kelly and McShane all oxf*rd off in the summer fills me with joy.

JR

by JR » 12 Mar 2019 19:02

Snowflake Royal

Hear, hear Ian.

Reading’s best player since Jimmy left.

A game without Gunter marauding down the right is a sad game. Haven’t seen any attacking influence from our other right backs.

JR

by JR » 12 Mar 2019 19:04

As you would expect it is chokka (spelling?) in the Greyfriar this evening with a strong Leeds following.

Glad we have Club 1871 or I wouldn’t have been able to get to the bar with 100% more!!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2019 19:19

Reading: Martínez, Yiadom, Blackett, Moore (c), Miazga, Baker, East, Swift, Barrow, Loader, Méïté.
Subs: Walker, Gunter, O’Shea, McShane, McCleary, Harriott, Olise.

Leeds United: Casilla, Ayling, Cooper (c), Bamford, Alioski, Roberts, Jansson, Hernandez, Harrison, Phillips, Klich.
Subs: Peacock-Farrell, Douglas, Dallas, Berardi, Brown, Shackleton, Gotts.

Moore made it and Ryan East starts in place of Ejaria.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Mar 2019 19:26

Sutekh Reading: Martínez, Yiadom, Blackett, Moore (c), Miazga, Baker, East, Swift, Barrow, Loader, Méïté.
Subs: Walker, Gunter, O’Shea, McShane, McCleary, Harriott, Olise.

Leeds United: Casilla, Ayling, Cooper (c), Bamford, Alioski, Roberts, Jansson, Hernandez, Harrison, Phillips, Klich.
Subs: Peacock-Farrell, Douglas, Dallas, Berardi, Brown, Shackleton, Gotts.

Moore made it and Ryan East starts in place of Ejaria.

I'm happy enough with that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2019 20:07

Excited to see East get his chance.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Mar 2019 20:33

Oh Barrow

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Mar 2019 20:35

fcuk me Barrow - what was that? Awful attempt at a tackle.

298 posts