Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Hull City (a) sponsored by Billy Whitehurst

by Sutekh » 03 Apr 2019 10:03

When : Saturday 6th April, 3pm
Where : KCOM Stadium, The Circle, Walton St, Hull, HU3 6HU
Capacity 25,404
Away Stand : North East Corner
What might I see in the area : A bridge

After the upbeat performance against Preston that saw only two injuries being picked up the entourage moves onto Hull and another meet up with former Royals boss Nigel Adkins.

Hull are sat in 12th place and still with an outside chance of the play offs after an utterly miserable start to their season which actually saw them below Reading at one point. A rallying run late last year that saw them win 8 and draw 3 from 12 games lifted them away from danger and since then they’ve been hanging onto the edge of the playoff race.

The last 10 league games played by Hull has seen them gain 4 wins and 2 draws but in their most recent run it’s just the 1 win from the last 4 (and that win was at Ipswich). Their last home game was against QPR which resulted in a 2-2 draw and QPR are about as far away from being a form team as you can get so there are opportunities to be had against Hull due to their inconsistence but then that inconsistence might mean a very bleak day for JG and co.

Reading’s injury woe got worse last week with Barrow and Swift picking up knocks although it is hoped both will be fit enough to partake of some sporting dalliance on a Saturday springtime afternoon. Hull will be without Stephen Kingsley and have doubts over Reece Burke and Frazier Campbell.

So another awkward northern trip where Reading are probably expected to come a cropper by many observers. However the team is more balanced now that Rino has returned and with Oliveira back as well then hopefully there will be enough to cause more inconsistency for Hull. But it will be a difficult challenge and with Norwich looming next week I’m sure we’d rather not lose the 4 point cushion via the result at Hull.

Referee

Tim Robinson returns for this one and Reading have another chance to arrest the run of league defeats that seems to be developing under his auspices.

Previously

01 Jan 19 > Reading 1-4 Swansea City
19 Sep 18 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
16 Jan 18 > Reading 3-0 Stevenage (FA Cup 3)
30 Sep 17 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
29 Apr 17 > Reading 1-0 Wigan Athletic
01 Oct 16 > Reading 1-1 Derby County
02 Feb 16 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
21 Sep 13 > Derby County 1-3 Reading

Historically

This will be the 25th league trip to Hull for Reading. The previous visits have yielded 7 wins, 9 draws and 8 defeats. There is a bit of an issue starting to develop though as Reading's last win in Hull was in 1994 at Boothferry Park which means Reading are yet to win at Hull's nice not quite so new shiny plastic spakkerdome. In the 5 visits there Reading have managed 3 draws.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel all the way up north
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Hull City (a) sponsored by Billy Whitehurst

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Apr 2019 10:05

Nice use of auspices.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2019 12:20

fairly confident for this one.

Same team if everyone fit. McCleary or Harriott for Barrow if he isn't fit, and Nelson if fit for Swift if he isn't.

Martinez
Yiadom Miazga Moore Blackett
Rino Baker
Swift
Ejaria Meite Barrow

Jaakkola, Gunter, McIntyre, McCleary, Harriott, Oliveira, Baldock/Bod (if fit)/Olise/Loader

Strong line up

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 03 Apr 2019 12:26

I am reliably informed far from it's reputation as being a shlthole, Hull is actually quite a nice place. I've never been, nor am I likely to, so cannot comment further.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2019 12:28

I've been before. It didn't stand out as being particularly bad, and got an amazingly good fish and chips for about £2 or something. Fairly typical northern type town. Cold obviously.

Its one hell of a journey to get there though

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Apr 2019 12:32

Hound fairly confident for this one.

Same team if everyone fit. McCleary or Harriott for Barrow if he isn't fit, and Nelson if fit for Swift if he isn't.

Martinez
Rino Baker
Swift
Meite Barrow Ejaria

Jaakkola, Gunter, McIntyre, McCleary, Harriott, Oliveira, Baldock/Bod (if fit)/Olise/Loader

Strong line up

Agreed but edited for you. Would have Kelly on the bench as the 7th man but that seems unlikely now so better stick with Olise as he's a midfielder. Also doubt he'll drop McShane from the squad, even though he played as poorly as he did

Want to fit Nelson in there, especially considering he won't be available on Tuesday but if the whole team is fit then it's harsh to drop anyone so it should really be the same team

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Apr 2019 12:34

URZZZZ

Martinez
Rino Baker
Swift
Meite Barrow Ejaria

Strong line up

Would have Kelly on the bench as the 7th man

zzzzzzzz. It's just boring now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2019 12:37

yes Meite on the wing.

Kelly seems to be well out of favour. Slightly strange, and even though not his biggest fan, I think its a little unjustified. Would prob have him as that 7th man but its not going to happen

Interesting to see if Baldock (presume he is) or Bod are fit. Got some quite nice options on the bench if they are

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Apr 2019 12:37

Key to winning this one is nullifying their wingers, between Bowen, Grosicki and Pugh they've scored 30 goals between them, so Yiadom and Blackett need to be on their game, no ambling back from Blackett particularly

No doubt Martin will probably score against us, especially as Campbell went off injured last game

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2019 12:38

How many of those has Bowen got? 20?

He is a top player.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Apr 2019 12:38

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Martinez
Rino Baker
Swift
Meite Barrow Ejaria

Strong line up

Would have Kelly on the bench as the 7th man

zzzzzzzz. It's just boring now.

You were boring 18 months ago so don't go giving out that insult. Now go hop along under your bridge

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Apr 2019 12:40

Hound How many of those has Bowen got? 20?

He is a top player.

21, has a goal every 160 minutes approximately which is scary for a winger

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Apr 2019 14:32

----------------Martinez
Yiadom--Miazga---Moore--Blackett
-------Rinomhota---Baker
Meite------------Swift-----------McCleary
------------------Barrow

Dangerous wingers you say? I drop Ejaria for the more defensive and experienced McCleary. Blackett will need the support and McCleary is capable of lending it. Hes also been a step or 2 away from a goal or assist in most of his recent games.

Keep Barrow up top for the first bit. Swap Oliveira in for whoever isn't performing well (probably McCleary now that I have backed him).

Swift is oft derided on here but statistically his defensive contribution has been better since moving back to a pure number 10. He pips Ejaria at the post for me for being just a little bit better in every category.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Apr 2019 14:51

Will be my first trip to Hull so looking forward to it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Apr 2019 14:54

CountryRoyal Will be my first trip to Hull so looking forward to it.

Yeah don't get too excited :D :D :D

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Apr 2019 18:25

grey_squirrel I am reliably informed far from it's reputation as being a shlthole, Hull is actually quite a nice place. I've never been, nor am I likely to, so cannot comment further.

Hull suffers from past reputation and from geographically being out on a limb, but it's really not that bad a place and certainly no worse than most large northern cities. The people are generally nice and can be applauded for their RL inspired pathalogical hatred of all things Leeds.

I think we've got a very good chance of coming away with something from the game.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Apr 2019 18:50

grey_squirrel I am reliably informed far from it's reputation as being a shlthole, Hull is actually quite a nice place. I've never been, nor am I likely to, so cannot comment further.

It’s a shithole although Hessle isn’t too bad.

Oliveira likely to be fit for Hull according to Jonathan Low. Talking of which on his Q & A a certain Ian Royal suggested that Van Den Berg and Meyler should be brought back and that McNulty will be our top scorer next season. :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2019 21:02

Zip

It’s a shithole although Hessle isn’t too bad.

Oliveira likely to be fit for Hull according to Jonathan Low. Talking of which on his Q & A a certain Ian Royal suggested that Van Den Berg and Meyler should be brought back and that McNulty will be our top scorer next season. :lol:

Lolz, top trolling

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Apr 2019 21:19

Probably best to keep Oliveira on the bench because he can`t play against Norwich, that will give him another week to get up to speed for the last 5 games.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Apr 2019 00:15

From Despair To Where?

Hull suffers from past reputation and from geographically being out on a limb, but it's really not that bad a place and certainly no worse than most large northern cities. The people are generally nice and can be applauded for their RL inspired pathalogical hatred of all things Leeds.

I think we've got a very good chance of coming away with something from the game.

My one and (prolly) only time in Hull, many years ago, I stayed there overnight on a golf trip. Played at Woodhall Spa, stayed in Hull, and then played at Ganton. (Those courses are really hard, wet and windy, think I just about broke a hundred on one of them). I thought Hull was alright really, had a few pints with locals, etc. It’s proper northern though. On way back, stayed in Beverley, which is a nice town.

Whoever draws Bowen has his work cut out. He normally lines up on the right(?), so it could be Blackett. Not a great matchup. Wouldn’t be shocked if we (should?) switch things around.