BFTG - The miracle of Carrow Road.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - The miracle of Carrow Road.

by Millsy » 11 Apr 2019 09:25

Funny one. My talking points:

First Goal

Completely against the run of play but it's what we had planned and we executed it brilliant. Yet another ball to Barrow, use his pace, and Meite in the right place with a great finish. Gomes' tactics spot on.

Gomes' tactics

Spot on it seems. 5 at the back, a pacey and a strong player up front who caused them havoc when they had the chance. At 2-2 we hand it to him as a brilliant stroke of genius. BUT at 2-1 I was cursing him for doing the same old bullshit of trying to hold onto 1-0. How many times have we seen this before? Far far too many times, trying to hold on only for us to eventually concede in the dying minutes. Yet we've also see that when we have nothing to lose and try and attack we seem to manage it. Attack is another form of defence, and had it ended 2-1 I'd have said he got that tried and failed tactic of holding onto a lead completely wrong. But as it happens he go a point and we'll be calling him a genius.

Blackett

I shall no longer call him Liability Blackett. The guy is really turning into a good player.

The team

All brilliant. Can't fault anybody at all and all were heroes in different ways. All did a great job from what I could tell.

The ref

Awful.

The score

Obviously a brilliant result which I'd have snapped up before the game. More importantly is what it does for spirit and morale. At 1-1 it'd have felt like a defeat. The 2-2 feels like a victory and the players must be in really high spirits, which is exactly what we need right now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2019 09:26

2 world wars, 1 world cup The 2-2 feels like a victory and the players must be in really high spirits, which is exactly what we need right now.

yep, that goal massively change the confidence. will come back bouncing from that game, where it looked like a huge kick in the teeth

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 11 Apr 2019 09:26

Well, that was the emotional roller-coaster.

I'm being churlish after a performance of such grit and determination but, while Meite is a very willing runner and shows some pace and strength, he really does need to work tirelessly on his first touch. It is still completely woeful. If he did manage to control a ball he would probably be one hell of a player.

Full creds to Gunts who was completely assured and Blackett who, despite continuing to give a good impression of Bambi on ice at times, had a stonking game last night.

Re: subs. I thought Adi's comment about "not wanting to disrupt the back eight (!), they all know their tasks and who to mark so don't fiddle with it with subs unless someone is completely flagging" had some real sense to it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Apr 2019 09:32

sandman If you look at Rinomhota goal carefully you can actually pinpoint the second the Norwich fans hearts rip in half.

A win for them last night followed by another on Saturday would have been them up wouldn't it? Shame.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Apr 2019 09:37

sandman If you look at Rinomhota goal carefully you can actually pinpoint the second the Norwich fans hearts rip in half.

It's the collective intake of breath and then the silence - the beautiful silence that gets me.

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 11 Apr 2019 09:40

Denver Royal Yeah, doubt we ‘controlled and held them’ at any point really? Could have been 5-1 or more if I’m honest. Fine margins. I’ll watch it again, as I often do, but can’t fault the effort either way.
McCleary disappointing, step slow, even vs tired legs.
Blackett, tweener LB, stiff & too far off his man, tho his height really helps in this side.
Baker, player in there, but needs better team around him, a la Swift.
Rino, great goal for us and him.
Miazga, has done really well, but think we could sign a tall-ish CB?
Meite, they are bringing him along well in Champ, Oli has influenced.

Miazga, 6'4" I think, when you say tall-ish, just how tall are you thinking?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2019 09:40

Stranded

It's the collective intake of breath and then the silence - the beautiful silence that gets me.

The silence from the commentators (the tw@t was Tony Gale wasn't it?) was also a thing of beauty

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Apr 2019 09:44

Hound
Stranded

The silence from the commentators (the tw@t was Tony Gale wasn't it?) was also a thing of beauty

He was a prick the whole game, going on about our time wasting and sitting back behind the ball as if we were meant to go there and make it nice and open for top of the league Norwich.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 09:51

I was delighted for 84 minutes. We looked tough to beat. We rarely look tough to beat. I say it every week now but those oxf*rd January loans. I struggle to believe any other team has ever had 5 loans from 1 window go down quite so well.

Martinez deservedly getting praise. Hes a hell of a keeper. His distribution was a little panicked but he did well throughout I thought.

Gunter did a superb job. In the first half he looked top notch. You would never have guessed hes been out of the team for a while based on that performance.

Yiadom filled in very well as a CB. What a great buy he was. He looked composed and confident.

Miazga did a Miazga. He has such good positional sense and has a talent for nicking balls away from tricky players.

Moore was a rock. He was solid throughout.

Blackett was surprisingly the best of the back 5. He maybe left a little too much space between him and touch but for the most part he was excellent. It speaks to his improved ability that he wasnt shunted into CB.

Rinomhota was very good again. Who wanted to rest him??? (coughURZZZcough) Well taken goal and the exact sort of commanding presence we have been crying out for. delighted to have witnessed his first senior goal and they dont come much better.

Baker was good enough. Hes usually a bit more in control I think? Still he played well. Got called for a lot of minor fouls most refs would have let go.

Ejaria was tricksy and fast but mucked up a few counter attacking passes. Needs experience but played well. Better than Kelly...

Barrow is showing why I spent the first half of the season defending him. While he was in poor form under Clement so many people turned on him. "Hes lazy" "Waste of Space" etc.. Those comments were harsh then and reflect poorly on those of you who said them. On Twitter in February some guy complained endlessly about Barrow and said after he was dropped to the bench for a game that Gomes obviously didnt fancy him. I hope that guy takes a long hard look at himself. Barrows pace has yet again created a goal for us. He simply offers too much to this team and his pairing with Meite is becoming beautiful.

Meite was very good again. Well taken goal and looked strong on the ball.

The tactics were spot on. I was worried when I saw the formation on Twitter but then we played a different formation and it really played to our strengths. Meite and Barrow playing as a striking pair was actually pretty good. Keep that one in the back pocket Gomes. It might come in handy again.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 09:55

Don't Panic
Denver Royal Yeah, doubt we ‘controlled and held them’ at any point really? Could have been 5-1 or more if I’m honest. Fine margins. I’ll watch it again, as I often do, but can’t fault the effort either way.
Blackett, tweener LB, stiff & too far off his man, tho his height really helps in this side.

Millwall have a CB who is 6ft6 or 6ft7 depending on the source. Maybe give him a look?

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 11 Apr 2019 09:58

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Gomes' tactics

Spot on it seems. 5 at the back, a pacey and a strong player up front who caused them havoc when they had the chance. At 2-2 we hand it to him as a brilliant stroke of genius. BUT at 2-1 I was cursing him for doing the same old bullshit of trying to hold onto 1-0. How many times have we seen this before? Far far too many times, trying to hold on only for us to eventually concede in the dying minutes. Yet we've also see that when we have nothing to lose and try and attack we seem to manage it. Attack is another form of defence, and had it ended 2-1 I'd have said he got that tried and failed tactic of holding onto a lead completely wrong. But as it happens he go a point and we'll be calling him a genius.

This.

We could and probably should have lost this game because of the tactics in the second half.. much the same as Hull. Having 2 (at times) up top left us exposed, neither Meite or Barrow touched the ball for about 20 mins and we weren't even getting the ball to the half way line before they were coming again with another attack. It left us tired and exposed (not faulting the players effort!)

Hopefully Gomes will pause and reflect on his in game management. Good set up initially, but needs to react better.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 11 Apr 2019 10:10

royal_rumble
Gomes' tactics

This.

We could and probably should have lost this game because of the tactics in the second half.. much the same as Hull. Having 2 (at times) up top left us exposed, neither Meite or Barrow touched the ball for about 20 mins and we weren't even getting the ball to the half way line before they were coming again with another attack. It left us tired and exposed (not faulting the players effort!)

Hopefully Gomes will pause and reflect on his in game management. Good set up initially, but needs to react better.

Said in the match report that Barrow could have been used more as an out ball but to suggest that we should have been more expansive when one-nil up is pushing it. If we had done that Norwich would have ripped us to shreds.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Apr 2019 10:12

NewCorkSeth Rinomhota was very good again. Who wanted to rest him??? (coughURZZZcough) Well taken goal and the exact sort of commanding presence we have been crying out for. delighted to have witnessed his first senior goal and they dont come much better.

Ejaria was tricksy and fast but mucked up a few counter attacking passes. Needs experience but played well. Better than Kelly...

Barrow is showing why I spent the first half of the season defending him. While he was in poor form under Clement so many people turned on him. "Hes lazy" "Waste of Space" etc.. Those comments were harsh then and reflect poorly on those of you who said them. On Twitter in February some guy complained endlessly about Barrow and said after he was dropped to the bench for a game that Gomes obviously didnt fancy him. I hope that guy takes a long hard look at himself. Barrows pace has yet again created a goal for us. He simply offers too much to this team and his pairing with Meite is becoming beautiful.

Rinomhota was completely tired out in the last 25, and should have given away a penalty with a lazy, tired looking challenge. Had we have had a CM who was capable on the bench, we may have regained some sort of control

But I've basically now given up calling for him to play. When you're behind Josh Barrett in the pecking order, you know it's time to move on. Real shame, played so well up at Manchester. Let's hope he's not like Olly ey who's on course for a triple promotion but wasn't good enough here according to some

Barrow was a waste of space up until March. He didn't score a goal starting a game until March. It took him 7 months of the season to play well. Happy days

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 10:15

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Rinomhota was very good again. Who wanted to rest him??? (coughURZZZcough) Well taken goal and the exact sort of commanding presence we have been crying out for. delighted to have witnessed his first senior goal and they dont come much better.

Rinomhota was completely tired out in the last 25, and should have given away a penalty with a lazy, tired looking challenge. Had we have had a CM who was capable on the bench, we may have regained some sort of control

But I've basically now given up calling for him to play. When you're behind Josh Barrett in the pecking order, you know it's time to move on. Real shame, played so well up at Manchester. Let's hope he's not like Olly ey who's on course for a triple promotion but wasn't good enough here according to some

Barrow was a waste of space up until March. He didn't score a goal starting a game until March. It took him 7 months of the season to play well. Happy days

Ooooh I think that's harsh on Rinomhota. It wasnt a lazy challenge. He didnt even see the guy. He was just stretching for the ball and the Norwich player got there first so his outstretched leg hit his shin rather than the ball. Inexperience more than tiredness imo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2019 10:18

Kelly's time is most definitely up. Major mistake on his behalf not going on loan. The only way he's stay is if we go down

We may have Swift back in the next few games, Bod as well. Ezatolohi sounds like he may be fit if one of the other loanees gets injured.

He's not going to even be considered for the rest of this year

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Apr 2019 10:25

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Stranded

He was a prick the whole game, going on about our time wasting and sitting back behind the ball as if we were meant to go there and make it nice and open for top of the league Norwich.

And yet, ex Norwich player Dean Ashton on the highlights on Quest praises us for executing a game plan and having spirit and fight. He also criticised Norwich for thinking the game was won when they took the lead, describing their goal celebrations as "embarassing".

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Apr 2019 10:34

Tony Gale bless him didn't like the technique Rinomhota used to strike the ball :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2019 10:34

Watched the Derby - Wigan game on SS a few weeks back and Gale was the commentator then. He was just as much a prick in that game - same thing, massive bias to FL's Derby. It was embarrassing - and I wanted Derby to win that.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Apr 2019 10:41

From Despair To Where?
Old Man Andrews
Hound

And yet, ex Norwich player Dean Ashton on the highlights on Quest praises us for executing a game plan and having spirit and fight. He also criticised Norwich for thinking the game was won when they took the lead, describing their goal celebrations as "embarassing".

I like Dean Ashton, shame he got such a bad injury as he was a decent player.

NewCorkSeth
Don't Panic

Millwall have a CB who is 6ft6 or 6ft7 depending on the source. Maybe give him a look?

:roll:

Can't even compare MM to JC, they are worlds apart in terms of overall footballing ability.

Met MM after the Preston game as he was MoTM and I can assure you he is pushing 6ft 5"/6ft 6". This is coming from someone who is on the tall side as well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Apr 2019 10:46

royal_rumble
Gomes' tactics

This.

Not sure what else he could have done to change it - maybe pull Barrow off for a more defensive player and go 5-4-1? It was working and Norwich weren't really creating any chances of note - Martinez made what 1 save from Pukki and they hit the post from distance. The defence was coping with everything and their equaliser was a great hit came when one of the 2 forward players came back in (Meite) meaning the CB could move forward without worrying about being caught on the break. Even then when a CB hits a shot like that 9 times out of 10 they will fly harmlessly over.

The 2nd was just one player switching off at a corner to give their man a free header. The team nearly executed the plan to perfection - just one screamer turned the game but the belief to fight back can't be faulted.