BFTG - Brentford

168 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Brentford

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Apr 2019 20:40

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Just because we saw in a paper that Leeds were after Swift doesn't mean he's definitely going. The way Gomes has used him, starting near enough every game makes me think he may still stay. Some people are acting like he's already gone

Selling Mannone, Jaakkola/Walker, McShane, O'Shea, Meyler, Kelly :twisted: , Aluko, McNulty, Baldock, Bodvarsson/Novakovich would free up enough budget/wages surely

Yeah, but how many of them are going to be wanted, or if wanted, earn us any money.

At least 2. Which 2 is up to you.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2019 20:49

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Just because we saw in a paper that Leeds were after Swift doesn't mean he's definitely going. The way Gomes has used him, starting near enough every game makes me think he may still stay. Some people are acting like he's already gone

Selling Mannone, Jaakkola/Walker, McShane, O'Shea, Meyler, Kelly :twisted: , Aluko, McNulty, Baldock, Bodvarsson/Novakovich would free up enough budget/wages surely

Yeah, but how many of them are going to be wanted, or if wanted, earn us any money.

The only one of them I think we could get good money for is Nova and he's the one I'd least like to see go.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Apr 2019 20:51

This

Nova seems to be progressing very well away from us....time to reel him back in...let’s have a decent look at him

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Apr 2019 21:01

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Yeah, but how many of them are going to be wanted, or if wanted, earn us any money.

The only one of them I think we could get good money for is Nova and he's the one I'd least like to see go.

Bodvarson could get us a couple of mil. I dont particularly want to see him go but if it's for "the greater good" then that's fine.

Kelly and McNulty we could get 1 million for at least.

Baldock (again think he might be worth holding on to) could be worth 1 million too.

Gunter maybe 2 million?

If we release the rest of the crap then we free a fair amount in wages and the above transfers sort us out with 6 million or so?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Apr 2019 21:07

Wonder if Gomes thinks anything of Popa? Personally think he's one of the worst wingers I've ever seen for Reading but people used to bang on about him all the time last season. After all, Gomes did sign him for his last club

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Apr 2019 21:18

Interesting some would rather let Bod go than Moore. I'm not disagreeing, just saying. A season in footy is a long time.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 14 Apr 2019 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Apr 2019 21:22

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth At least 2. Which 2 is up to you.

Bodvarson could get us a couple of mil. I dont particularly want to see him go but if it's for "the greater good" then that's fine.

Baldock (again think he might be worth holding on to) could be worth 1 million too.

Gunter maybe 2 million?

If we release the rest of the crap then we free a fair amount in wages and the above transfers sort us out with 6 million or so?

We would do well to get a million for Bod and £500;000 for Gunter imo.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Apr 2019 21:50

Get Bod fit and him and Oliveira would get 15+ goals each.

Moore goes, get Miazga in. Maybe make him captain.

Baker, Rinomhota and Ezatolahi midfield.

Meite, Bod, Oliveira, Barrow, 2 more wingers.

That’s not a bad basis for a team.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Apr 2019 22:10

Bod is scoring a goal every three games this season. That's roughly the level of our other senior strikers at their best. If we're planning on signing Oliveira for £7m (31 goals in 100 games at this level) then we should be looking to get £5m for Bod (16 goals in 55 games for us - translates to 29 goals in 100 games - obviously weighed down somewhat by his crap record at Wolves but he hasn't got worse since we paid £3m for him).

Guess there's an argument that Meite, Oliveira, and Novakovich with Baldock and McNulty or Loader as alternatives is plenty, but I don't get where the "Bodvarsson isn't good enough" thing is coming from.

Edit: bah, Leon comes in and says pretty much what I agree with. Don't think the balance would be right with a three of Baker, Ezatolahi, and Rinomhota but I want all three in the squad.

Really like the thought of:
Southwood; Yiadom, Moore/Miazga, McIntyre, Blackett; Ezatolahi/Baker, Rinomhota, Swift-but-not-Swift; Meite, Oliveira, Barrow
Subs: Jaakola, Osho, Gunter, Ezatolahi/Baker, new winger, Baldock, Bodvarsson

Even better if we kept both Moore and Miazga, but I'd rather we focused on Baker and Ezatolahi - McIntyre and Osho both look ready to step up but East does not.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Apr 2019 22:19

SCIAG Bod is scoring a goal every three games this season. That's roughly the level of our other senior strikers at their best. If we're planning on signing Oliveira for £7m (31 goals in 100 games at this level) then we should be looking to get £5m for Bod (16 goals in 55 games for us - translates to 29 goals in 100 games - obviously weighed down somewhat by his crap record at Wolves but he hasn't got worse since we paid £3m for him).

Guess there's an argument that Meite, Oliveira, and Novakovich with Baldock and McNulty or Loader as alternatives is plenty, but I don't get where the "Bodvarsson isn't good enough" thing is coming from.

Edit: bah, Leon comes in and says pretty much what I agree with. Don't think the balance would be right with a three of Baker, Ezatolahi, and Rinomhota but I want all three in the squad.

Southwood; Yiadom, Moore/Miazga, McIntyre, Blackett; Ezatolahi/Baker, Rinomhota, Swift-but-not-Swift; Meite, Oliveira, Barrow

Even better if we kept both Moore and Miazga, but I'd rather we focused on Baker and Ezatolahi - McIntyre and Osho both look ready to step up but East does not.

No-one is doubting whether Bodvarsson is good enough. People are questioning if he can ever stay fit, let's not forget he's already had 7 spells where he's been out in under two seasons. No point keeping sicknotes if finances are tight

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Apr 2019 22:21

SCIAG Bod is scoring a goal every three games this season. That's roughly the level of our other senior strikers at their best. If we're planning on signing Oliveira for £7m (31 goals in 100 games at this level) then we should be looking to get £5m for Bod (16 goals in 55 games for us - translates to 29 goals in 100 games - obviously weighed down somewhat by his crap record at Wolves but he hasn't got worse since we paid £3m for him).

Bod’s constantly unavailable. No point keeping him when he’s nearly always on the treatment table.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Apr 2019 22:44

Zip, yep I hear you. With only 4 games left, I suppose in an ideal world they might shut Bod down for the season (and Eza, for that matter). Must admit, I'd be interested what Gomes' super-duper fitness and training programs could do for them next season. Also wonder if Bod might fare better injury-wise with more rotation, if we got Nelson in, and with Meite emerging.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Apr 2019 23:23

I’ve always like your posts SCIAG unemotional and intelligent. 2 things generally absent on the team board.

My point about midfield was these were the ones we should keep. We also need creativity from the centre so I guess Swift or similar is required. However if we’re playing a front 3 more solidity rather than creativity as you’d expect Barrow etc to provide that and tbf the three I’ve put in can pass a ball.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Apr 2019 07:29

Zip

Bod’s constantly unavailable. No point keeping him when he’s nearly always on the treatment table.

And not much chance of selling him either......

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Apr 2019 07:55

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal The only one of them I think we could get good money for is Nova and he's the one I'd least like to see go.

Gunter maybe 2 million?

Bod is still a good player with a good record on a reasonably long contract. 1 million would be a steal.

Gunter I was estimating based in his reputation. Just because we know hes not good enough doesn't mean other clubs do. If Cyrus Christie can be bought for similar amounts 2 seasons in a row I see no reason Gunter cant go for around that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2019 08:31

NewCorkSeth
Zip
NewCorkSeth Bodvarson could get us a couple of mil. I dont particularly want to see him go but if it's for "the greater good" then that's fine.

Gunter maybe 2 million?

Bod is still a good player with a good record on a reasonably long contract. 1 million would be a steal.

Gunter I was estimating based in his reputation. Just because we know hes not good enough doesn't mean other clubs do. If Cyrus Christie can be bought for similar amounts 2 seasons in a row I see no reason Gunter cant go for around that.

Has Gunter not shown over the past 2 games that he is certainly good enough? You could make the argument that he wasn't initially suited to the way Gomes wants us to play but he has not put a foot wrong over the last 2 games.

Whether he would be worth keeping (or happy to stay) as a back-up is open to question of course.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Apr 2019 08:35

Stranded
NewCorkSeth
Zip

Has Gunter not shown over the past 2 games that he is certainly good enough? You could make the argument that he wasn't initially suited to the way Gomes wants us to play but he has not put a foot wrong over the last 2 games.

Whether he would be worth keeping (or happy to stay) as a back-up is open to question of course.

I would be a tad foolish to discount years of him being generally just not quite good enough in favour of the last 2 games where he has admittedly been thoroughly decent.

Arguments could be made that he is playing well by virtue of the increased strength of the defense around him. He has certainly been better at closing down his man in the last 2 games (something he has more than struggled with in the past)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2019 08:42

NewCorkSeth
Stranded
NewCorkSeth Bod is still a good player with a good record on a reasonably long contract. 1 million would be a steal.

I would be a tad foolish to discount years of him being generally just not quite good enough in favour of the last 2 games where he has admittedly been thoroughly decent.

Arguments could be made that he is playing well by virtue of the increased strength of the defense around him. He has certainly been better at closing down his man in the last 2 games (something he has more than struggled with in the past)

I think it's a tad foolish to suggest there has been years of him generally not being good enough, as that would be inaccurate. He has had a bad 12-18 months, coinciding with the team as a whole regressing but before that was more than solid. Gunter is pretty much a bellweather amongst Reading fans - if we're doing badly, Gunter gets the stick. Every team has a player like that, Gunter is ours.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Apr 2019 08:44

Ejaria MOTM for me, not only was he tackling and winning the ball but he seemed to be wearing Glen Little's magic boots as the ball was sticking to his feet at times when it really shouldn't have.

Rinamota and Ejaria - That's who I'd like to see the midfield built around,

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Apr 2019 08:46

Stranded
NewCorkSeth
Stranded

I think it's a tad foolish to suggest there has been years of him generally not being good enough, as that would be inaccurate. He has had a bad 12-18 months, coinciding with the team as a whole regressing but before that was more than solid. Gunter is pretty much a bellweather amongst Reading fans - if we're doing badly, Gunter gets the stick. Every team has a player like that, Gunter is ours.

Maybe Gunter was overplayed in the past? - Maybe the break from first team action has done him some good.

168 posts