BFTG - Baggies

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Baggies

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 09:44

How about we sell Moore to the Yonnge’s Chinese club for £10 million then loan him back for a couple of seasons ?

Everyone happy with that as a constructive compromise ?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Apr 2019 09:45

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth But that's your outward view on the matter. In January many fans were happy to let Meite and Barrow leave. The owners blocked Meite from moving so theres a chance they will try the same with Swift.

Moore is in line to be named captain next season and judging by the parts of his interview I heard he likes it here. He signed a new contract which the owners forced through so they clearly value him.

But Meite is worth about a million whilst Moore and Swift are worth a combined £15m-ish. Nobody is suggesting Moore wants to leave or the club want to sell, its a case of economics. If we can pocket over £7m for him and bring in a suitable replacement for £2m on a lower wage the club simply has to sell.

I know it makes financial sense but would you really suggest transfer listing them just because they're our most saleable assets?

No of course not but we have to expect bigger clubs to come in for Liam Moore so transfer listing isn't even neccessary. They'll be a figure in the clubs mind which is too good to refuse and should it come in officially we sell. We all hope it won't happen of course but just seems invevitable.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2019 09:47

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth I know it might be naive of me but I cant see the club selling Moore AND Swift. The owners wouldn't let Meite go in January so it'll take a lot to make them sell 1 of the above let alone both.

About £15million and a huge wage bill reduction will do it though I'd reckon. Nobody wants Moore to go anywhere but lets be realistic here, Moore will want to be playing Premier League football next season. He is clearly ambitious and Reading are at least 3 years off being a PL club IMO, Moore won't wait forever. Reading between the lines in the interview that he did it sounds like there is a set figure that if it is offered he can talk to interested club so we may have our hands tied on this one.

In all honesty, you are right Moore wants to play in the PL but realistically who takes him there? Brighton were the only club who showed any interest last year, but didn't push it too much - nobody else came in when it was clear he was available following the transfer request.

So maybe one of the promoted teams, who may not say a CB at the club finishing c.20th in the division they just left as an upgrade on what they have.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Apr 2019 09:49

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
But Meite is worth about a million whilst Moore and Swift are worth a combined £15m-ish. Nobody is suggesting Moore wants to leave or the club want to sell, its a case of economics. If we can pocket over £7m for him and bring in a suitable replacement for £2m on a lower wage the club simply has to sell.

I know it makes financial sense but would you really suggest transfer listing them just because they're our most saleable assets?

No of course not but we have to expect bigger clubs to come in for Liam Moore so transfer listing isn't even neccessary. They'll be a figure in the clubs mind which is too good to refuse and should it come in officially we sell. We all hope it won't happen of course but just seems invevitable.

Oh ok I thought you wanted us to look to sell them. Obviously if an offer comes in that matches our valuation we have no choice. That's always been the way.

I dont think the club will actively look to sell them and I reckon they'll make it as difficult as possible for clubs to buy.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 09:51

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Old Man Andrews

Let’s hope Nigel Howe understands economics better than you !

Well that is what we are now, we are a club who has to sell off our biggest and most expensive assets and bring in quality cheaper replacements. Nigel Howe said it live on radio about 14 hours ago, keep up.

I think Nigel is smarter than that.
What you do is not destroy your club by just flogging your key assets, you look at what’s assets are underperforming or poor value and cash those in first. So Aluko is the ideal one to move on and we’ve already seen there is a smart way to do that.
If you really think the club are going to start with their best players and cash in with no regard to performance on the pitch then you need to think again.
Moore may move, any player is only temporary, but our first action won’t be to panic sell our best assets when we can do lots more to address our finances without ripping up any hopes of next season being different to this.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Apr 2019 09:52

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth I know it might be naive of me but I cant see the club selling Moore AND Swift. The owners wouldn't let Meite go in January so it'll take a lot to make them sell 1 of the above let alone both.

About £15million and a huge wage bill reduction will do it though I'd reckon. Nobody wants Moore to go anywhere but lets be realistic here, Moore will want to be playing Premier League football next season. He is clearly ambitious and Reading are at least 3 years off being a PL club IMO, Moore won't wait forever. Reading between the lines in the interview that he did it sounds like there is a set figure that if it is offered he can talk to interested club so we may have our hands tied on this one.

In all honesty, you are right Moore wants to play in the PL but realistically who takes him there? Brighton were the only club who showed any interest last year, but didn't push it too much - nobody else came in when it was clear he was available following the transfer request.

So maybe one of the promoted teams, who may not say a CB at the club finishing c.20th in the division they just left as an upgrade on what they have.

I hope it will be a case of him going under the radar somewhat due to our league position. Just think if a scout from Norwich, Watford Palace or Southampton (or another club of that ilk) had seen him play since January they'd see him as an affordable transfer and an upgrade on what they have or at least a very good squad player.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 09:55

Stranded
Old Man Andrews

By all accounts Brighton made several bids, including one at a level we had agreed with Moore we would accept, and had agreed a contract with Moore. Sounds like he didn’t go because the owners stepped in and he wanted to stay !

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Apr 2019 09:56

Nameless
Stranded
Old Man Andrews

By all accounts Brighton made several bids, including one at a level we had agreed with Moore we would accept, and had agreed a contract with Moore. Sounds like he didn’t go because the owners stepped in and he wanted to stay !

Sounded more like that fat sack of shite Gourlay didn't send the paperwork back to Brighton judging by that Moore interview. :D

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 23 Apr 2019 09:58

Hound
winchester_royal Really good game I thought, as entertaining a 0-0 as I can remember - although much of that probably owed to the atmosphere which was fantastic.

Small gripe - disappointed with the reaction to Loader both in the ground and on here after. The guy is 18 years old ffs, clearly has plenty of developing to do however his record both in the academy and for England youth teams shows that he has the quality. What he needs now is the confidence to go out there and do his thing. I thought yesterday was the first time he actually looked to take men on, get shots on goal etc, and as soon as it goes slightly wrong he gets shouted at by the crowd and called shit on social media afterwards.

If Howe's interview yesterday is anything to go by, we're going to have to get used to some academy players being drafted into the squad before they're fully ready...I just hope the fans' reaction to those players coming in and trying things that don't always go right is better than it was yesterday.

Thought Loader did ok. Best I’ve seen him for a while. He just needs to get stronger - which he will.

I agree, which is what made the reaction that bit more disappointing.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 09:58

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Stranded

Sounded more like that fat sack of shite Gourlay didn't send the paperwork back to Brighton judging by that Moore interview. :D

It may have been one of the few good things Gourlay did if his cock up stopped the deal, although sounds more like it was Moore being a decent bloke and not simply walking away when he could have done.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Apr 2019 10:00

winchester_royal
Hound
winchester_royal Really good game I thought, as entertaining a 0-0 as I can remember - although much of that probably owed to the atmosphere which was fantastic.

Small gripe - disappointed with the reaction to Loader both in the ground and on here after. The guy is 18 years old ffs, clearly has plenty of developing to do however his record both in the academy and for England youth teams shows that he has the quality. What he needs now is the confidence to go out there and do his thing. I thought yesterday was the first time he actually looked to take men on, get shots on goal etc, and as soon as it goes slightly wrong he gets shouted at by the crowd and called shit on social media afterwards.

If Howe's interview yesterday is anything to go by, we're going to have to get used to some academy players being drafted into the squad before they're fully ready...I just hope the fans' reaction to those players coming in and trying things that don't always go right is better than it was yesterday.

Thought Loader did ok. Best I’ve seen him for a while. He just needs to get stronger - which he will.

He grew into the match quite a bit imo. Maybe he just needs to calm down when he gets into shooting positions. I have every faith that Gomes can get the best out of him.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 10:00

winchester_royal
Hound

Where did you hear this reaction ?
In the ED there was nothing negative beyond the disappointment you’d expect when a player misses a chance and would have been the same as reaction to misses by other players.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Apr 2019 10:47

Nameless
winchester_royal
Hound

In the ED there was nothing negative beyond the disappointment you’d expect when a player misses a chance and would have been the same as reaction to misses by other players.

I didn't particularly hear anything negative either (Y24). Yes, groan after the miss, but then applause for the attack/intent.

Plenty criticism on here mind you, but hopefully he knows better than to take social media seriously.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Apr 2019 11:20

winchester_royal

Right, so you want people to say Loader played well because he's from the academy and he's young? The academy and youth teams is completely different to first team football BTW so that's invalid

He was poor yesterday. Time and time again he chose the wrong option, time and time again he was shrugged off the ball and then he missed two really good chances. Irrespective of age, any professional footballer should be performing better than that

No-one is writing him off. But you throw a youth player in before they're ready and after 5 or 6 poor performances, people will naturally start to turn on them. That's just the way modern football is

Saying that, think he should start the next couple now we're safe, I think similar to what Long was like, once he bangs in a couple, hopefully they'll start flowing in for him

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Apr 2019 11:38

muirinho
Nameless
winchester_royal

I didn't particularly hear anything negative either (Y24). Yes, groan after the miss, but then applause for the attack/intent.

Plenty criticism on here mind you, but hopefully he knows better than to take social media seriously.

Didn't hear anything either.
On here , in a match comment topic,I think players are assessed on what they have done in that particular match so criticism is valid.
The lad has now had quite a few opportunities for one so young but , so far, he doesn't look like the natural goalscorer that the stats of his youth football show.
I do think this level is too high for him at the moment and a loan deal elsewhere to a passing side in Div 1 would be the right move.

Contrary to most posters I thought yesterday was a dire game with both sides looking content for an agreed draw and the goal attempts came out of the blue (from both sides)-the game from our perspective was ruined by the two injuries and, quite understandably, the loss of two bigger players up front took away options.
Having said that the game was dire, the occasion was terrific because the crowd were willing us to do better than Rotherham and relief was obvious.

One point on Oliveira-he seems to have gone from hero to zero mainly because he shot rather than pass in the Bristol City game.
He has shown what a proper central striker is like, just as Miazga has shown what a proper central defender is like and Martinez what a proper keeper is like.

Gomes has said that he doesn't see Meite as a central striker and I expect him to make claims for Oliveira to be one of our main targets for next season and his attitude on the pitch has been first class for a loan player, eager to play when probably unfit.
Contrast that with Martin last season.

Great to (almost) finish the season on a high with these hard fought draws in recent weeks against some of the better sides and we can all now enjoy that last game v Birmingham unless next weekend we lose 10-0 at Middlesboro and Rotherham win their game 6-0. :wink:

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 23 Apr 2019 11:54

RoyalBlue
Schmeichel the dog BTW.......how pissed was Sir John on BBC Berks post match? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I heard correctly, he brought along the Club's Employee of The Year and when he went to introduce him couldn't remember his surname!

He was mullered - was having a good laugh in the car listening to that on the way home with RG7jr.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 23 Apr 2019 12:14

muirinho
Nameless
winchester_royal

Yup I didn't hear anything bad from y26 he did his best and it is just the nerves that need to settle before his finishing improves.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Apr 2019 14:11

Anyone got a video of the McCleary penalty shout?

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 23 Apr 2019 14:20

NewCorkSeth Anyone got a video of the McCleary penalty shout?

Not on the normal highlights but can be seen here at 2.40
https://youtu.be/GmYJ9e4bxp0

I didn't have a great view at the time but thought it was a pen. Looking at the replay he just stayed on his feet too long if he had gone down without taking that extra step it would have been easier for refree. .as it was I can see why he thought it was a dive (even though it wasnt)

biff

by biff » 23 Apr 2019 14:30

Barrow had his shirt pulled about 4 feet long in the box on a break. The ref was pretty sh1te.