End of season contracts

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: End of season contracts

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 21:38

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal If we want someone with character to mentor young players we should hire them as a coach (on a much cheaper salary), not resign a player who is no longer up to it on the pitch. So I agree, apart from being very dubious about O'Shea as a coach. I'd rather someone who is a coach than an past it ex pro who might be interested in learning to be o e.

How do you know O’Shea is not a good coach ? Ex players do sometimes make good coaches. He has done his coaching badges so is possibly a bit more than some who might fancy learning to be a coach. You’d think 20 years as a pro, 100 international caps, multiple medals might just give him a few things to pass on....

FFS Nameless you've got a real problem at the moment.

I haven't said he isn't a good coach. I haven't said he can't be a good coach. I said I'm dubious about having him learn on the job with us when we could get someone with a track record.

Being a successful pro is no indication of being a good coach, as we've seen time and time again, so I don't really care about his playing record.

I respectfully suggest the problem may lie with someone who flies into a hissy fit if anyone dare challenge their loose assertions.
Rather than behaving like a child perhaps you could accept that a qualified coach backed up by huge experience is not just ‘someone who might like to become a coach’.
We’re not going to make O’Shea manager, but he’d be a better option than McShane to add to the bsckroom, given that was suggested asvthe plan when he joined.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 23 Apr 2019 23:01

Nameless
TiagoIlori
Nameless
Isn’t O’Shea the ideal one for the O’Shea role ?
When he came it was said it would be a one year playing deal then a move into coaching. If you have acentre back with 100 plus caps On the staff do you need another old pro hanging around as well ?

He’s far too old for me personally, but if he gets a coaching role then so be bit with McShane. However, it is entirely up to Gomes now as Clement was the one who signed him

How can O’Shea be too old to coach at 36 ?

Meant too old as a player

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 23 Apr 2019 23:08

muirinho
TiagoIlori
muirinho
Also not sure McShane is the answer as "character we want in the dressing room" - he can be difficult, and has poor relationships with virtually every manager he has ever worked under, prior coming to Reading - and there's no reason why that would be any different now.

I guess O Shea won't be "in the dressing room" any more if he moves into coaching - but it's not like there's no experience in that dressing room either. I think McCleary, and maybe Gunter will see out their contracts. Liam Moore is 26, he's not a shy 18 year old. Andy Yiadom is 28. How "seasoned" do you want them to be?

Liam Moore has only had 4 1/2 seasons where he has been playing a lot. Yiadom has only played 3 seasons at this level and I’m very sure only recently(3/4 years ago) he actually was converted to a right back. Paul McShane was mainly a bit part player for Hull but the difference is he’s still had more seasons than both of them combined and has a number of Ireland caps.

Yep, but I think it's very likely McCleary, and fairly likely Gunter will still be here. Both loads of seasons, both internationals, both have played more games than McShane. I just don't see him as necessary. If he still had another year to run, then yeah, wouldn't be top of my list to get rid of, but I think signing him on for another year is a bit dumb.

Also, could you keep him but take away the captaincy? At this stage Moore deserves the full captaincy, not just during the games.

Thought McShane still had an extra year? My bad.
McShane would be ok with it I reckon, especially as he’s no longer able to play 46 games a season and he’s had injury problems as of late. Would depend on his ambitions though, does he just want to play or is he happy not playing so much?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Apr 2019 07:24

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless
How do you know O’Shea is not a good coach ? Ex players do sometimes make good coaches. He has done his coaching badges so is possibly a bit more than some who might fancy learning to be a coach. You’d think 20 years as a pro, 100 international caps, multiple medals might just give him a few things to pass on....

FFS Nameless you've got a real problem at the moment.

I haven't said he isn't a good coach. I haven't said he can't be a good coach. I said I'm dubious about having him learn on the job with us when we could get someone with a track record.

Being a successful pro is no indication of being a good coach, as we've seen time and time again, so I don't really care about his playing record.

I respectfully suggest the problem may lie with someone who flies into a hissy fit if anyone dare challenge their loose assertions.
Rather than behaving like a child perhaps you could accept that a qualified coach backed up by huge experience is not just ‘someone who might like to become a coach’.
We’re not going to make O’Shea manager, but he’d be a better option than McShane to add to the bsckroom, given that was suggested asvthe plan when he joined.

You should definitely start reading what I say, because you keep arguing against things with me that I don't actually think or say.

I've not once said we should have McShane as coach over O'Shea.

Deary me.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Apr 2019 07:29

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal FFS Nameless you've got a real problem at the moment.

You should definitely start reading what I say, because you keep arguing against things with me that I don't actually think or say.

I've not once said we should have McShane as coach over O'Shea.

Deary me.

Perhaps you need to take your own advice.
I didn’t suggest you did say McShane would be a better coach, that was entirely a different poster. You need to read all the posts on a thread rather than just your own. This isn’t the Snowflake Royal Show you know, other people do exchange views too.....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Apr 2019 07:31

TiagoIlori
Nameless
TiagoIlori He’s far too old for me personally, but if he gets a coaching role then so be bit with McShane. However, it is entirely up to Gomes now as Clement was the one who signed him

How can O’Shea be too old to coach at 36 ?

Meant too old as a player

But there isn’t even a question of O’Shea continuing as a player....
Neither him or McShane will be around as players next season. The only vague possibility might be if O’Shea is added to the coaching squad. We won’t waste wages on a nonplaying centre back to hold hands with McIntyre and Osho, we’ll sp nd the money on someone who might actually play.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Apr 2019 07:34

I know someone else said it Nameless. I'm paying attention. You're the one who raised O'Shea as a better option than McShane while directly quoting me to have a pop yet again.

You've been consistently jumping on anything I say and misrepresenting it for a day or two now.

It's getting proper weird.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Apr 2019 07:45

Snowflake Royal I know someone else said it Nameless. I'm paying attention. You're the one who raised O'Shea as a better option than McShane while directly quoting me to have a pop yet again.

You've been consistently jumping on anything I say and misrepresenting it for a day or two now.

Are you now posting as Tiagoillori ? My point about O’Shea being a better option to provide mentoring /coaching than McShane was made in response to them.
You’ve been posting some rubbish of late so sorry for coming back at you on some of it. Your latest claim that I always misrepresent anything you say I say another daft claim, paranoia is a wicked thing.....

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Apr 2019 09:40

Nameless
Snowflake Royal I know someone else said it Nameless. I'm paying attention. You're the one who raised O'Shea as a better option than McShane while directly quoting me to have a pop yet again.

Are you now posting as Tiagoillori ? My point about O’Shea being a better option to provide mentoring /coaching than McShane was made in response to them.
You’ve been posting some rubbish of late so sorry for coming back at you on some of it. Your latest claim that I always misrepresent anything you say I say another daft claim, paranoia is a wicked thing.....

It's funny because I wouldn't put you down as a Team Board terroriser. Ian Royal does that have effect on people. :wink: