Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Sutekh » 01 May 2019 09:36

Hound Rumours that Popa has agreed a perm deal with Ludogrets

also mention that we might be interested in Livingstone 'Keeper Liam Kelly for 50k. Apparently a 'modern-day' keeper who is good with the ball at his feet, so would fit

Two Liam Kellys there's only 2 Liam Kellys ...

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 May 2019 10:13

Remember when people were having a hissy fit over here and twitter when Stam refused to play Popa, bloke was completely useless, can't think of a worse winger we've had in a long time than him

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2019 10:19

I don't particularly like criticising players for their attitude when you don't know anything about them behind the scenes, but really did feel Popa was just here for the holiday and pay

There's probably a decent player in there somewhere, but 3 managers shipped him out pretty quickly

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 May 2019 12:11

Hound I don't particularly like criticising players for their attitude when you don't know anything about them behind the scenes, but really did feel Popa was just here for the holiday and pay

There's probably a decent player in there somewhere, but 3 managers shipped him out pretty quickly

To counter that he played several times for the U23 side and always put full effort in. A player with an attitude problem would have tweaked a calf or picked up a virus rather than play for the U23.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 May 2019 12:15

Nameless
Hound I don't particularly like criticising players for their attitude when you don't know anything about them behind the scenes, but really did feel Popa was just here for the holiday and pay

To counter that he played several times for the U23 side and always put full effort in. A player with an attitude problem would have tweaked a calf or picked up a virus rather than play for the U23.

I think it was more a case of being the type of player that wanted to play matches but wasn't so keen on training.

That was never going to wash with Stam.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2019 12:25

Nameless

yes thats true. Watched him a couple of times for the U23 and he did put the effort in. Vision may well be right

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 May 2019 13:01

Sutekh

also mention that we might be interested in Livingstone 'Keeper Liam Kelly for 50k. Apparently a 'modern-day' keeper who is good with the ball at his feet, so would fit

He's from Livingstone
He's from Livingstone
The other Liam Kelly
He's from Livingstone

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 01 May 2019 13:06

muirinho
Sutekh

He's from Livingstone
He's from Livingstone
The other Liam Kelly
He's from Livingstone

There will be:

Liam Kelly

and

'Future England star' Liam Kelly

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 01 May 2019 13:15

Sutekh

there is a cm at Coventry called Liam Kelly aswell can we get the set. just to screw with Tim and Micks head on BBCRB. kelly hoofs one out to Kelly, who passes to Kelly then passes it back to Kelly.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 May 2019 16:20

linkenholtroyal
Sutekh

there is a cm at Coventry called Liam Kelly aswell can we get the set. just to screw with Tim and Micks head on BBCRB. kelly hoofs one out to Kelly, who passes to Kelly then passes it back to Kelly.

And Kelly gives it away.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2019 16:39

interesting interview with Gomes in the presser.

So much is going to hinge on who we can get rid of this summer from the sound of it. Also seems to confirm Anssi is leaving.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 May 2019 17:51

Sutekh
Hound well bang on cue - looks like O'Shea is retiring...

edit: confrimed. Well thats one off the wage bill...

According to the BBC Berks 5.30pm sports desk last night John O'Shea announced his retirement from professional rugby,

Gomes not adverse to O'Shea remaining it seems.......

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 May 2019 19:00

Hound interesting interview with Gomes in the presser.

So much is going to hinge on who we can get rid of this summer from the sound of it. Also seems to confirm Anssi is leaving.

It seems Martinez may be up for staying but some of the loanees want bigger challenges. Gut feeling is that Miazga and Ejaria won’t want to return.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2019 19:07

Yep saw on some US site about Miazga not likely to return and wanted a Prem club a few weeks ago. Ejaria probably likely to give Liverpool one more to, if not another prem club

Think we’ll end up with Baker (hopefully) and maybe one of the other two

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 02 May 2019 18:45

Miazga has to aim for higher-level football. I can see Ejaria getting loaned-out again but maybe another PL club (perhaps one of the newly-promoted) will make an offer.

What I cannot get over is that Gomes et al went 5-for-5 with this crew of loanees and they pretty-much slotted in from the get go. I feel pretty comfortable that, of those that we cannot get on a new loan or permanent, we can find adequate or like-for-like replacements. Gomes clearly knows how to man-manage.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 May 2019 18:57

It's plausible that Ejaria might thrive in the PL, but given he failed at Sunderland and Rangers and hasn't exactly torn the place up here, I don't see why a PL club would want him. The Championship is his level imo.

If Ejaria does get a PL loan then things look bad for our already weak prospects of signing Baker. Given their transfer ban, Chelsea could decide they want him to act as cover for Jorginho. He should also be an attractive prospect for lots of PL sides.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 May 2019 19:05

May be shot down for this but I think ejaria is one of those players who will thrive in the German/Dutch leagues, I don’t think he’s suited to the championship too much. As it goes, I don’t think he’s done enough here, a poor start, followed by a few decent games in the middle and then he’s been poor again in April really, other than Brentford

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 May 2019 19:24

URZZZZ May be shot down for this but I think ejaria is one of those players who will thrive in the German/Dutch leagues, I don’t think he’s suited to the championship too much. As it goes, I don’t think he’s done enough here, a poor start, followed by a few decent games in the middle and then he’s been poor again in April really, other than Brentford

I cant remember him being poor. For me hes been a player in the making during his time here. Hes got so much potential.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 May 2019 19:33

Baker and Ejaria are going nowhere near the prem and I’d be surprised if Miazga is just yet. Baker hasn’t played much and was toilet at Boro and Leeds, Ejaria hasn’t pulled up any trees and has only really had 25 or so appearances at this level. This has been Miazga’s first real taste of competitive English football.

If I was a premier league club I wouldn’t be in a hurry to sign up some players who have shone in a shocking Reading side fighting at the foot of the table. They should all be looking at season long moves back to the championship.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 May 2019 19:55

The Howe statement earlier clearly indicates that Gourlay completely messed the club up with far too many costly signings and we have run into major issues with FFP. Howe now has a major problem on his hands as we need to offload a lot of cost whilst at the same time completely rebuilding the playing staff.

There is no doubt that the squad was bloated and probably all the out of contract players will now go (maybe Harriott will get a year) but it does not sound like we will be able to afford to bring many in - my guess is 4-5 tops and some of those are likely to be loans and so we will most likely only have 15-18 players with any significant FL experience by 1st August. The only way we might be able to add more players would be to cash in on the likes of Swift and Moore but that could be counter productive as it would cause even more gaps.

This means it will be a massive year for the Academy as we will need 6-10 players to step up from the Academy to fill all the gaps - especially if we have yet another dire season in terms of injuries. The good news is that we have a very promising Academy group but it is a big ask to expect such a large number to step up. However, I do have high hopes for Southwood, McIntyre, Osho, Holmes, Loader, Olise and Novakovich (if we don't cash in) and there are others like East, Barrett, Ward, Medford-Smith, Howe Junior and Pendlebury who might get a shot.

The question is whether this means yet another struggle against the drop or a much better season next time.

Only time will tell and IMO a lot hinges on Gomez miracle worker status.

1826 posts