Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Basildon

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Basildon » 11 Jul 2019 14:27

Ascotexgunner
Stranded Listening to Gomes on the website, he is clearly starting to get frustrated at the lack of movement into the squad at the moment.

So am I......every prediction league Ive seen has got us going down and Im starting to think maybe they know something we don't.

Think they know exactly what we do....

Just about survived last year thanks to 5 January loanees, with a good chance none will be coming back, and no money to spend until we offload our overpaid players. Of course we're gonna be tipped to go down.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 11 Jul 2019 17:20

Basildon
Ascotexgunner
Stranded Listening to Gomes on the website, he is clearly starting to get frustrated at the lack of movement into the squad at the moment.

So am I......every prediction league Ive seen has got us going down and Im starting to think maybe they know something we don't.

Just about survived last year thanks to 5 January loanees, with a good chance none will be coming back, and no money to spend until we offload our overpaid players. Of course we're gonna be tipped to go down.

Pretty sure I got lambasted for saying the same thing a few weeks ago.

Positive noises or not, we still haven't signed anyone of note and offloaded Kelly, who despite having a downer of a season was a strong player. Our squad is MASSIVELY weaker than last year, of course we are tipped for relegation. It's time to get going on signings...

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 11 Jul 2019 18:01

it is a very interesting experiment to be fair. one I think that will fall very flat very fast. blooding all the youngsters at once that is.
I think they will start very brightly but the first game we lose it will go down hill from there as heads will drop and there wont be the seasoned heads to push them on again.

TBH who knows what we will start the season with but it is worrying at the moment.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Jul 2019 18:02

Elm Park Kid
Stranded
URZZZZ Not everyone chooses an occupation/lifestyle based off of money. Some people value the quality of their work and I would feel guilty earning as much as he does when he’s not doing anything for it if he’s not included in our squad But everyone thinks different thoughts and he may choose to take the money, which is OK (to some)

Not sure but get the feeling he was on the left side today ahead of Frost who wasn’t seen so maybe he may still have a future

Impossible for you to say that as you are, likely, in a career where the only end date is when you choose to retire as you can change jobs/professions fairly easily. For a football player, they have worked hard for a career where only a small minority make it and have the ability to make enough money to set up their family for life. Baldock is at the age whereby, whilst I am sure he wants to play week in, week out, he will also be aware that his earning potential will be dropping off a cliff wherever he goes after us (arguably our fault for giving him an inflated salary).

He is not retraining or looking to change careers where you would expect a drop in earnings and can plan accordingly, he wants to continue in this same career so he is not being a money grabber but simply stating that he expects to receive the money he is contractually entitled too.

If you worked for a company and were on a 3 year contract at say 60k per year and after a year they made it clear you should move on but there was nothing wrong with your work & they weren't going to fire you but they were just going a different way. You can still come to work every day but the only difference is you can't come to the key team event on a Friday anymore.

You look around and every job out there only pays 40k but that will barely cover the costs you have budgeted for as you rightly expect a 60k salary for the next couple of years - so you've splashed out a bit - paid more for an extra phone - maybe got that car you wanted and spread the payments over a couple of years - booked a better holiday as the family deserve it this year, that sort of thing.

Would you really just shrug your shoulders and go well 40k is better than not getting to go to that meeting and take one of those jobs and figure out how you will cover your costs later or would you not try and come to a mutual agreement with the company that they either pay you your contractually obligated salary now or find an agreement that they will pay you the difference in salary over the next 2 years giving you time to make the changes you need to if you are to take a lower salary long term.

Of course, you have to make those financial decisions. But also really you should think about how you look back on your footballing career. For us, wasting 2 years in an office job that doesn't want us isn't that big of a deal - you take the money and move on. But for a footballer you've got a limited amount of time, and surely you would want to spend that playing week-in, week-out and making the most of things. Scoring goals, winning over fans, becoming part of club legends. And in the long-run maybe that's more important than the extra money you are getting for your salary? Maybe you can establish good ties at a new club that helps you in the future.

There is more to life than money, and even if a footballer earns less when he stops playing he presumably can still earn a living. And that's also the key thing - how depressing must it be to get to 35/36 and have no more real ambition or goals left for your life. You've earn and invested enough to keep you comfortable, so now you can just 'relax' for 50 years?? How many stories do we see of footballers doing that and ending up bankrupt, depressed, gambling, alcoholic etc etc.

If you give up on your career at age 30 just to take a bit more money I think that sets a bad trend for the rest of your life. I say that as someone who decided to give up a very well paid, easy office job at 33 and go and do something else.

Was going to reply but this sums up what I think perfectly. I don’t blame Baldock particularly for having that mindset because different people want different things in life. But the amount of training/time it takes for a footballer to actually get into that profession as opposed to any “regular” job is astronomical, which is why I think it’s a bit of a shame to Chuck it all away (this is of course on the basis Gomes doesn’t use him should he stay, as others have pointed out, should he be here by August time, he may be seen as a viable option)

Let’s not forget, if Baldock is frozen out and stays here, that’ll be three seasons in a row where he’s had limited time. Personally think that’s just a bit of a waste

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2019 19:25

Royal Rother Indeed. He’s got 3 to 4 years earning potential before retirement beckons and then it is likely he’ll be down to ”ordinary man’s” wages. He probably has a financial plan to pay off mortgage, put his kids through private school, lump into a pension scheme etc. etc. based on his contract at Reading.

He must do what is best for him (and his present or future family) to ensure he gets as much money out of the game as he possibly can - end of.

Doing the right thing for Reading FC and its other employees is unlikely to be anywhere on his list of priorities.

Cry me a river for Mr megabucks.

Oh no, he might have to get a normal job. Boo oxf*rd hoo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2019 19:30

Stranded
URZZZZ Not everyone chooses an occupation/lifestyle based off of money. Some people value the quality of their work and I would feel guilty earning as much as he does when he’s not doing anything for it if he’s not included in our squad But everyone thinks different thoughts and he may choose to take the money, which is OK (to some)

Not sure but get the feeling he was on the left side today ahead of Frost who wasn’t seen so maybe he may still have a future

Impossible for you to say that as you are, likely, in a career where the only end date is when you choose to retire as you can change jobs/professions fairly easily. For a football player, they have worked hard for a career where only a small minority make it and have the ability to make enough money to set up their family for life. Baldock is at the age whereby, whilst I am sure he wants to play week in, week out, he will also be aware that his earning potential will be dropping off a cliff wherever he goes after us (arguably our fault for giving him an inflated salary).

He is not retraining or looking to change careers where you would expect a drop in earnings and can plan accordingly, he wants to continue in this same career so he is not being a money grabber but simply stating that he expects to receive the money he is contractually entitled too.

If you worked for a company and were on a 3 year contract at say 60k per year and after a year they made it clear you should move on but there was nothing wrong with your work & they weren't going to fire you but they were just going a different way. You can still come to work every day but the only difference is you can't come to the key team event on a Friday anymore.

You look around and every job out there only pays 40k but that will barely cover the costs you have budgeted for as you rightly expect a 60k salary for the next couple of years - so you've splashed out a bit - paid more for an extra phone - maybe got that car you wanted and spread the payments over a couple of years - booked a better holiday as the family deserve it this year, that sort of thing.

Would you really just shrug your shoulders and go well 40k is better than not getting to go to that meeting and take one of those jobs and figure out how you will cover your costs later or would you not try and come to a mutual agreement with the company that they either pay you your contractually obligated salary now or find an agreement that they will pay you the difference in salary over the next 2 years giving you time to make the changes you need to if you are to take a lower salary long term.

If I knew my employer was oxf*rd financially, my decision would impact the performance of the company and potentially the livelihood of many others and I wouldn't be in a bad place financially?

Hmmm.

Yeah, in an instant.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Jul 2019 20:24

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother Indeed. He’s got 3 to 4 years earning potential before retirement beckons and then it is likely he’ll be down to ”ordinary man’s” wages. He probably has a financial plan to pay off mortgage, put his kids through private school, lump into a pension scheme etc. etc. based on his contract at Reading.

He must do what is best for him (and his present or future family) to ensure he gets as much money out of the game as he possibly can - end of.

Doing the right thing for Reading FC and its other employees is unlikely to be anywhere on his list of priorities.

Cry me a river for Mr megabucks.

Oh no, he might have to get a normal job. Boo oxf*rd hoo.

Bizarre.

And a bit pathetic to be honest.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 11 Jul 2019 20:30

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

If I knew my employer was oxf*rd financially, my decision would impact the performance of the company and potentially the livelihood of many others and I wouldn't be in a bad place financially?

Hmmm.

Yeah, in an instant.

You should come and work for me - as from what you say when I fire you I won't have to pay any redundancy and you will happily leave. You sound like an ideal employee.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2019 20:31

linkenholtroyal it is a very interesting experiment to be fair. one I think that will fall very flat very fast. blooding all the youngsters at once that is.
I think they will start very brightly but the first game we lose it will go down hill from there as heads will drop and there wont be the seasoned heads to push them on again.

TBH who knows what we will start the season with but it is worrying at the moment.

Yeah could definitely go very badly wrong. Esp if Gomes decides he is not getting a fair shot at things

On the other hand our first 11 isn’t that inexperience tbh

Walker, Yiadom, Moore, Blackett, Obita, Rino, Swift, Loader, Meite, Barrow and Novakovich

Is a potential starting 11 who have played a decent amount of games. And that is not including the likes of McCleary, Baldock and Gunter who could all come in and provide experience

Very much for me a case of a couple of good loan signings turning a season of struggle into a comfortable and enjoyable one

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jul 2019 21:49

New Goalkeeper confimred. That's one position knocked off.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jul 2019 08:13

Hound
linkenholtroyal it is a very interesting experiment to be fair. one I think that will fall very flat very fast. blooding all the youngsters at once that is.

Yeah could definitely go very badly wrong. Esp if Gomes decides he is not getting a fair shot at things

On the other hand our first 11 isn’t that inexperience tbh

Walker, Yiadom, Moore, Blackett, Obita, Rino, Swift, Loader, Meite, Barrow and Novakovich

Is a potential starting 11 who have played a decent amount of games. And that is not including the likes of McCleary, Baldock and Gunter who could all come in and provide experience

Very much for me a case of a couple of good loan signings turning a season of struggle into a comfortable and enjoyable one

It doesn’t look a bad team. More height needed IMO in defence, possibly another holding midfielder to slot in. At this moment in time, it seems Loader is first choice striker with Novakovich in the second team

One thing I always like in a team is a right footed - left footed centre half partnership, like Pearce and Gorkss for example, so at least Moore and Blackett would bring that. Out of interest, what foot are Osho and McIntyre, seem to recall McIntyre playing on the left side of defence vs Rotherham

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jul 2019 08:28

FiNeRaIn
Basildon
Ascotexgunner

Positive noises or not, we still haven't signed anyone of note and offloaded Kelly, who despite having a downer of a season was a strong player. Our squad is MASSIVELY weaker than last year, of course we are tipped for relegation. It's time to get going on signings...

Let’s also not lose sight of the fact that we get Mannone and Aluko back at the end of the year and so have to be able to cover their wages until they can be moved on again.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Jul 2019 08:44

Sutekh
FiNeRaIn
Basildon Think they know exactly what we do....

Let’s also not lose sight of the fact that we get Mannone and Aluko back at the end of the year and so have to be able to cover their wages until they can be moved on again.

Potential that Mannone is a loan to buy and they have made a commitment to purchasing him following the completion if his loan.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2019 08:55

very much doubt Aluko will be setting foot in Berkshire again. I believe he has played every game for Beijing, and the full 90 mins in pretty much every game - be very surprised if he doesnt stay there

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jul 2019 11:14

Courtney Friday (who has been pretty on the money this summer - since he stopped actually being a journo for the Chronic) tweeting that Reading's 2nd summer signing is close, states we still lead the Ejaria chase but trying to find out more on who it is.

Signing #2 today?

Wouldn't surprise me if it's Boadu on a 12 month contract given he is with the squad at the mo.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Jul 2019 18:53

Hibs can`t afford McNulty so it will be hard to shift him. nobody is willing to pay the wages that Gormless handed out.

Royal Monkey

by Royal Monkey » 13 Jul 2019 00:51

Lewis Baker been sent home from Chelsea pre season training camp. To finalise loan deal with us perhaps ??

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jul 2019 06:08

To sort out a move from Chelsea to somewhere certainly

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Jul 2019 09:36

I'd give my left nut to have him here again.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Jul 2019 10:47

NewCorkSeth I'd give my left nut to have him here again.

PLEASe report to Jennings Butchers in Caversham where a gent with a sharp knife awaits.....

1826 posts