Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by URZZZZ » 22 Jul 2019 21:54

Tbf although we had some injury prone defenders last year, against Boro at home, we had our 5th and 7th choice CB’s starting

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 21:55

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
Yes it is harsh on McIntyre. He’s gone from second choice to fourth choice. The other young CB’s will benefit from loans.

If we get Miazga then I think we'd be better off getting McIntyre L1 or 2 experience and using Osho or Odimayo as 4th choice back up given 4th choice is unlikely to play. Maybe 6 months then switch.

Moore, Morrison and Miazga all seem fairly robust and (touch wood) injury free.

Three strong centre backs but will they all play?

No, I can't see Gomes switching shape just because we have three good CBs. We didn't take Holmes on tour (injury?) and we've shown no sign of three at the back as anything other than late game tinkering.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2019 22:00

McIntyre has had 2 pro games hasn’t he? Don’t think I’m forgetting a loan

He looks a good player but bring him through him cup games and when needed in the first 11. 4 CBs is fine. Osho should go on loan imo

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jul 2019 22:01

If Miazga is done then a CB selection of Moore, Miazga, Morrison & McIntyre is pretty solid and you would be comfortable with any combination there. 3 captains too.

Wouldn't be upset if McIntyre went for minutes on loan but Osho hasn't looked ready in pre-season so may be best for him to stay.

Gomes did play 3 CBs at times last year, so opportunities will come.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2019 22:03

Away at the likes of Cardiff and to protect a lead, can very much see us play 3 at the back

3 quality experienced CBs- more than happy with that position now. Actually the whole back line.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 22 Jul 2019 22:03

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal If we get Miazga then I think we'd be better off getting McIntyre L1 or 2 experience and using Osho or Odimayo as 4th choice back up given 4th choice is unlikely to play. Maybe 6 months then switch.

Moore, Morrison and Miazga all seem fairly robust and (touch wood) injury free.

No, I can't see Gomes switching shape just because we have three good CBs. We didn't take Holmes on tour (injury?) and we've shown no sign of three at the back as anything other than late game tinkering.

Three at the back was used for several away games at the back end of last season and we had to shift Yiadom into the centre. At least he can now say in his natural position

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Jul 2019 22:24

It's starting to take shape. Get in Ejaria, one more CM/CDM and an attacking option and I'd say we've got a team capable of 15th or so.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jul 2019 22:27

morganb
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Three at the back was used for several away games at the back end of last season and we had to shift Yiadom into the centre. At least he can now say in his natural position

Yiadom started off as a winger so maybe Moore and Miazgo in the middle, Morrison at RB and Yiadom into midfield.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Jul 2019 06:24

Miazga next to be confimred. That’d leave Ejaria and a striker and Reading will be up and running for the season

Going to be very interesting to see what JG does with that eg.

Virginia
Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett
Swift
Rinomhota
Ejaria
Barrow
Meite
Strikerbloke

Walker
Adam
Novakovich
Loader
Olise
Morrison
Boadu/Barrett

Plus Obita to consider when eventually match fit.

Try and also get some decent loans in place for Osho, East, McIntyre, Holsgrove (maybe even Richards).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2019 07:37

Yep think that’s pretty close to how we’ll line up. Loader will prob start the season up front I reckon. Interesting to see if Baldock is involved, as a useful option on the bench

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jul 2019 08:15

If Adam is fit, in his interview he said he'd got a few games under his belt - so assume he is, he has to start unless we sign another midfielder.

Signing Adam and putting him on the bench when starting Swift as Rino's partner has to be some sort of crime.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2019 08:56

Sutekh Miazga next to be confimred. That’d leave Ejaria and a striker and Reading will be up and running for the season

Going to be very interesting to see what JG does with that eg.

Virginia
Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett
Swift
Rinomhota
Ejaria
Barrow
Meite
Strikerbloke

Walker
Adam
Novakovich
Loader
Olise
Morrison
Boadu/Barrett

Plus Obita to consider when eventually match fit.

Try and also get some decent loans in place for Osho, East, McIntyre, Holsgrove (maybe even Richards).

Strikerbloke is an amazing coincidence of a name? When did we sign him?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2019 09:05

Snowflake Royal If Adam is fit, in his interview he said he'd got a few games under his belt - so assume he is, he has to start unless we sign another midfielder.

Signing Adam and putting him on the bench when starting Swift as Rino's partner has to be some sort of crime.

When our form was good last year - what was our midfield? Rino/Baker/Swift or Ejaria. When Rino was injured, I think we played Swift, Baker and Ejaria.

It sounds softer than it is. I don't remember us being over run in midfield - in fact we actually dominated some games. Rino is a strong lad, Swift and Ejaria are both 6ft plus. Baker was certainly not an enforcer in there.

As long as the back 4 is solid, which it is, I think we could play Rino, Swift and Ejaria together successfully. Not in every game, but most home games at least. Aware others disagree

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jul 2019 09:12

Hound
Snowflake Royal If Adam is fit, in his interview he said he'd got a few games under his belt - so assume he is, he has to start unless we sign another midfielder.

When our form was good last year - what was our midfield? Rino/Baker/Swift or Ejaria. When Rino was injured, I think we played Swift, Baker and Ejaria.

It sounds softer than it is. I don't remember us being over run in midfield - in fact we actually dominated some games. Rino is a strong lad, Swift and Ejaria are both 6ft plus. Baker was certainly not an enforcer in there.

As long as the back 4 is solid, which it is, I think we could play Rino, Swift and Ejaria together successfully. Not in every game, but most home games at least. Aware others disagree

Baker brought balance. He was intelligent, disciplined, good on the ball and dictated play. Adam could do that role but I worry about fitness over a long season. Ideally we'd have another option capable of that role, and from what we've seen in 3 years that option isn't Swift.

I also thought we missed Rino greatly when injured. You need a bit of energy and muscle in there and nobody else provides it. In those key wins against Ipswich and Wigan without him, late goals covered up bad performances against poor teams, which was seen a gritty and hard fought in the circumstances
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 23 Jul 2019 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jul 2019 09:19

Hound

I don't think there's anything we haven't already said about this and we clearly just disagree. If Swift plays 30 games alongside Rinomhota I think we'll be relegated.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2019 09:22

Lol at any of our players playing 30 games together. You forgetting our injury crisis is annual?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2019 09:26

WestYorksRoyal
Hound

Baker brought balance. He was intelligent, disciplined, good on the ball and dictated play. Adam could do that role but I worry about fitness over a long season. Ideally we'd have another option capable of that role, and from what we've seen in 3 years that option isn't Swift.

I also thought we missed Rino greatly when injured. You need a bit of energy and muscle in there and nobody else provides it. In those key wins against Ipswich and Wigan without him, late goals covered up bad performances against poor teams, which was seen a gritty and hard fought in the circumstances

Wouldn't disagree that Rino is massively important in there, and we look hugely better with him in there

Fair point on Baker - its probably not the physicality of his play that would be missed, but the ability to come and collect the ball and get things started. I was a massive fan, thought he was top class.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Jul 2019 09:45

How many more do you think we now need??
I think after Miazga and Ejaria come it is a CF and another CM option but that may well end up as Meyler.

I hate to say it but if Meyler, Gmac and Gunter are not gone by next week they are best being brought back into the fold. Even if it is to try and get some playing time to get them sold in January. We have still got to pay there wages. All 3 have contracts till next summer so will go in the end.
McNulty and Popa I believe will be easier to shift even just on loan.
Isn’t Popa on some insane amount of money a week though even more than Gunter and Gmac.?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2019 10:16

Considering we only have Meite and Barrow, and surprised McCleary is not involved. Still did a job last year

Gunter's time is over with Watson and Howe coming through

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jul 2019 10:20

Great analysis of Nova here.

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... -fc-royals

I'd still like another CF, but if it's not possible I'd go Barrow-Nova-Meite as a front 3 with Baldock and Loader bench options. I agree with the comment above that McCleary could still have a role too.

1826 posts