Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Hound » 05 Jun 2019 09:40

John Smith
URZZZZ
Brain Traysers I agree on him being a cheaper option, but 9 in 27 (+2) in the Eredivisie is hardly prolific - joint 26th top scorer in the league and 52nd for goals per 90 (min 10 games). 1.8 shots per 90 also suggests a very different style of play to Oliveira, who averages over double that across his career. Put another way, how excited would be be about signing outright a player with that record? Would we expect them to be a main contributor next season?

My expectations for him are very low - it was a good loan spell but not a great one IMO. I very much hope to be proved wrong

Very much this. I think he may be able
to do a job but people seem to be overhyping him with insufficient evidence that he actually is an adequate Championship striker. Unless we keep Bodvarsson/Baldock/McNulty, relying on Nova, Loader and even Nelson if we somehow get him back would be really risky IMO

Thanks for applying some sense to this subject you two.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to come in and shoot us to promotion.

Facts (well if wikipedia is correct - which isn't a given) are though in the last couple of years he has scored 33 goals in 68 games in the Dutch first and second division (+cups) , and 3 in 5 for USA U20. Also been called up the the USA first team.

Thats pretty good stats overall, and I'd expect him to be an option for us next season if he does stay

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2019 09:41

URZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZ
Congratulations on stating the obvious. We were told we would be doing early business to work on the squad over pre season etc...nothing yet (ins or outs). It’s all well and good saying “it closes on 8th August” but the reality is we need to bring players in ASAP so they can work with the squad over the summer. It took our squad a good 5/6 weeks after the January window to reach its potential and gain results. We can’t afford another slow start to the season waiting for players to adapt

:|

You know this isn't football manager and things don't just happen at the click of a button? I would expect work to be going on behind the scenes, the club isn't obligated to keep us mongs informed of every little thing they do.

Players, agents, admin staff go on holiday, football works slowly over the summer and there can be a domino effect on transfers.

Pre-season hasn't even started yet, so the players aren't even back together, they don't fly out to Spain until 7th July...

Added to this, there has been a grand total of ONE transfer completed for Championship clubs so far this summer... and that is Bristol City signing someone, there hasn't been any sales.

https://www.skysports.com/football/transfer-deals

So why would Gomes explicitly say that business would be done in the first couple of weeks then. Don’t say something if you can’t stick to it because all it does it raise hope and give out false expectations

Think he said wanted it to be done, rather than would be done. Quite significant difference. I want to see Walker, Kelly, Meyler, McNulty etc sold off asap, but its unlikely to happen quite yet

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jun 2019 09:50

Hound
URZZZZ
Hendo

You know this isn't football manager and things don't just happen at the click of a button? I would expect work to be going on behind the scenes, the club isn't obligated to keep us mongs informed of every little thing they do.

Players, agents, admin staff go on holiday, football works slowly over the summer and there can be a domino effect on transfers.

Pre-season hasn't even started yet, so the players aren't even back together, they don't fly out to Spain until 7th July...

Added to this, there has been a grand total of ONE transfer completed for Championship clubs so far this summer... and that is Bristol City signing someone, there hasn't been any sales.

https://www.skysports.com/football/transfer-deals

So why would Gomes explicitly say that business would be done in the first couple of weeks then. Don’t say something if you can’t stick to it because all it does it raise hope and give out false expectations

Think he said wanted it to be done, rather than would be done. Quite significant difference. I want to see Walker, Kelly, Meyler, McNulty etc sold off asap, but its unlikely to happen quite yet

Correct.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/reading-fc-boss-jose-gomes-16207487

Aims for the transfer window

I would like to fix everything before we start. I will talk with all the players I am not counting with after Sunday, it's also a sign of respect for them - giving the time to find a better solution for their career.

And I will try to bring in and sign the new players as soon as possible. This way I can organise the squad in time for July 1 so we have the players we are counting on for pre-season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jun 2019 10:00

Fair enough but the point still stands that he wants business done before the players come back for pre season (1st July) which is what my last point was. Most signings that are done a week or two before the window are panic signings (like Eza last year when it was obvious Meyler wasn’t good enough, although tbf he looked OK in his few appearances). So my original point that it shouldn’t really be “weeks” that we’re targeting still stands considering we’re only a few away from pre season...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Jun 2019 11:54

I don't think there's any reason to fret just yet. Most clubs still haven't started their business and the only newsworthy transfer - excluding pre-arranged ones - has been Jovic to Madrid.

All business done before the start of July seems completely unrealistic on Gomes' part (the start of August might be a more sensible goal) but that is still over three weeks away.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 Jun 2019 11:55

I'd like us to sign Messi and play in the champions league next season.

It doesn't change the fact that if it wasnt actually realistic or even possible, what was the point in Gomes saying it?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jun 2019 11:58

Jagermesiter1871 I'd like us to sign Messi and play in the champions league next season.

It doesn't change the fact that if it wasnt actually realistic or even possible, what was the point in Gomes saying it?

Things might work differently in Portugal compared to over here?

He has probably done a lot of work scoping out what areas he wants to improve on and what type of player he wants, given it to the board who then will go out and try to do the business. I highly doubt everyone is just sat around twiddling their thumbs.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 05 Jun 2019 12:32

can someone summarise please. Have all the loanees returned back to their clubs?
(Nelson, Martinez, Baker Miazga etc etc)

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Jun 2019 12:48

LUX can someone summarise please. Have all the loanees returned back to their clubs?
(Nelson, Martinez, Baker Miazga etc etc)

Very simple summary right now.

All loanees back with their clubs
All senior players out of contract have been released.
All players we had out on loan are officially back with us (Meyler, Popa, McNulty etc)

I'm hoping that all the players Gomes doesn't want / cost too much have been informed, and their agents along with the club are busy scouting out opportunities. But to be honest, nothing is happening anywhere - most players are either on holiday, or away with their respective countries. Maybe last week of June things will start moving.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 05 Jun 2019 13:15

thanks for that.

Bit worrying, but it'll all turn out for the best :P

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jun 2019 13:45

Brain Traysers
Hound 1 in 3 in a struggling team is more than decent

Perhaps in a good league which Eredivisie is not (Ajax and PSV aside). 2 of the 3 teams that finished below Fortuna had a player scoring more, and I would hope we aren't interested in either. It would be a huge gamble for him to be the/a main striker at the start of next season.

27 players played 10+ games as a striker in the Eredivisie last season - he ranked 18th for both goals/90 and assists/90. Personally, I would say he needed to perform in the top half of players to be "more than decent for a struggling team" - I think he did OK in a bad team.

He's ours, he's delivered at every level he's gone.

Main man? Maybe, maybe not. But then we've also got Bod, Baldock and Meite.

He's delivered more than Loader in professional football so far. And we've got no money.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 05 Jun 2019 15:39

SCIAG I don't think there's any reason to fret just yet. Most clubs still haven't started their business and the only newsworthy transfer - excluding pre-arranged ones - has been Jovic to Madrid.

All business done before the start of July seems completely unrealistic on Gomes' part (the start of August might be a more sensible goal) but that is still over three weeks away.

The start of August isn't much of a target considering we'll only be able to sell to lower leagues after the 8th.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2019 15:49

tbh thats the only place most of them are going...

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jun 2019 15:59

Apart from Kelly, he’s on the way up

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 Jun 2019 17:44

Hendo
Jagermesiter1871 I'd like us to sign Messi and play in the champions league next season.

He has probably done a lot of work scoping out what areas he wants to improve on and what type of player he wants, given it to the board who then will go out and try to do the business. I highly doubt everyone is just sat around twiddling their thumbs.

Orite, so instead of the manager lying he's actually clueless to English football and how transfers work here. Even better.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 05 Jun 2019 19:06

Jagermesiter1871
Hendo

Orite, so instead of the manager lying he's actually clueless to English football and how transfers work here. Even better.

Doubt he's clueless.
He may not be as familiar as some.
Shocker.
He prolly should have put in a qualifier (for some).
"Ideally, I'd like to fix everything b4 we start".

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 05 Jun 2019 19:21

https://www.footballinsider247.com/excl ... t-reading/

Striker Sam Smith and goalie Luke Southwood have been told they can leave... Bit surprised about Southwood as expected him to be 2nd choice keeper next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2019 19:29

Hmm surprised with Southwood. Thought Ward looked decent for FGR though

Not surprised in the slightest by Smith.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jun 2019 20:16

Seem to have quite a few promising goalies so whilst I'm disappointed with Southwood, it's not like we're short of options in that department. Smith is dreadful so that doesn't come as a surprise to me. Not sure how reliable the article is though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jun 2019 20:21

morganb https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-striker-and-goalkeeper-to-quit-reading/

Striker Sam Smith and goalie Luke Southwood have been told they can leave... Bit surprised about Southwood as expected him to be 2nd choice keeper next season.

oxf*rd is this shit. We have no senior gks and we are telling perhaps our best option he is not needed?

I guess the club knows better than I do.

1826 posts