Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2019 13:17

Elm Park Kid
NewCorkSeth I know its generally not a good thing but I am quite excited about how many youngsters have been brought on the trip.

If we presume the senior squad looks something like this:
GKs - Walker
RBs - Yiadom, Watson, Howe
CBs - Moore, Osho, McIntyre
LBs - Blackett, Obita, Richards
CMs - Rinomhota, East, Holsgrove
AMs - Meite, Barrow, Swift, Loader, Olise, Barrett
STs - Novakovich

For the moment then we might actually get by with a few, clever loans or sneaky free transfers. We only have 4 holes in the squad (only..) being GK, CB, CM and ST (yes that is literally an entire spine of a team missing but I'm trying to look on the bright side)

We are set at Right and Left back which feels weird to say considering since our last relegation we have never been set in both these positions (including back up), our attacking mids are pretty good as far as championship quality. Meite, Swift and Barrow as an attacking trio could be very dangerous at times. Loader, Olise and Barrett (if he can make the step up) all make decent back up material. Finally 2 of the positions we desperately need to fill will be partnered with 2 of our best players in Moore and Rinomhota. So its not like the entire spine needs to be built.

If we focus on those 4 key positions Gk, CB, ST and CM (in that order please) then we should be fine to use this season as a building block while steering clear of a relegation battle.

We would be extremely vulnerable to injuries though. . . . . .

If you want to stay in this league then every game you need to start with at least 8-9 players that are proven at Championship level. We have barely that number in the squad at the moment.

There is probably only a handful of clubs in the world who are not vulnerable to injury. We have to accept that we will need a little bit of luck on the injury front this season regardless of whether or not we get another 4 players in the door. The younger players I have listed above should really be pushing to get on the bench and hopefully the coaching team can get them to the point where should we suffer a couple of bad injuries they can fill in until January/end of the season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2019 13:20

we should have a reasonable 2 players for every position once we get the new signings in. That can cover for injuries as much as you can really plan for in our position

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2019 13:24

Hound we should have a reasonable 2 players for every position once we get the new signings in. That can cover for injuries as much as you can really plan for in our position

And we may yet be stuck with a few of the unwanteds. Meyler doesnt appear to be in a rush to leave for one.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Jul 2019 14:00

NewCorkSeth
Elm Park Kid
NewCorkSeth I know its generally not a good thing but I am quite excited about how many youngsters have been brought on the trip.

GKs - Walker
STs - Novakovich

For the moment then we might actually get by with a few, clever loans or sneaky free transfers. We only have 4 holes in the squad (only..) being GK, CB, CM and ST (yes that is literally an entire spine of a team missing but I'm trying to look on the bright side)

We are set at Right and Left back which feels weird to say considering since our last relegation we have never been set in both these positions (including back up), our attacking mids are pretty good as far as championship quality. Meite, Swift and Barrow as an attacking trio could be very dangerous at times. Loader, Olise and Barrett (if he can make the step up) all make decent back up material. Finally 2 of the positions we desperately need to fill will be partnered with 2 of our best players in Moore and Rinomhota. So its not like the entire spine needs to be built.

If we focus on those 4 key positions Gk, CB, ST and CM (in that order please) then we should be fine to use this season as a building block while steering clear of a relegation battle.

If you want to stay in this league then every game you need to start with at least 8-9 players that are proven at Championship level. We have barely that number in the squad at the moment.

There is probably only a handful of clubs in the world who are not vulnerable to injury. We have to accept that we will need a little bit of luck on the injury front this season regardless of whether or not we get another 4 players in the door. The younger players I have listed above should really be pushing to get on the bench and hopefully the coaching team can get them to the point where should we suffer a couple of bad injuries they can fill in until January/end of the season.

There aren't too many teams where 2-3 bad injuries would result in almost certain relegation - which I think it would with our current squad with even a few additions.

I said in another thread that there's not much that can be done now, we are where we are and lets just support the team. But I have no delusions about next season. Academy players are just random elements - like rolling a dice and hoping it lands at least on a 4. You can't base a team around them. Maybe they will all come good and we'll be fine - maybe none of them will and we'll get relegated.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2019 14:13

'Academy lads' is a little misleading in a sense

Richards - has had a couple of seasons in the first team squad now and can do a job
Watson - a season on loan playing about 30 games I think in Div1. And some for us the season before
Nova - 2 full solid seasons in Netherlands
Rino - POTS for us last year
Loader - 25 odd games for us now
Barrett - A absolute ton of games in the U23 where he has constantly performed

Olise and McIntyre look quality and I think McIntyre is certainly ready for 20 odd games this year.

Don't think the likes of Osho, East, Holsgrove, Howe are realistically like to play that much. And if they do, its because they have performed very well in training/U23 rather than having to play out of desperation.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2019 14:21

Elm Park Kid
NewCorkSeth
Elm Park Kid

There aren't too many teams where 2-3 bad injuries would result in almost certain relegation - which I think it would with our current squad with even a few additions.

I said in another thread that there's not much that can be done now, we are where we are and lets just support the team. But I have no delusions about next season. Academy players are just random elements - like rolling a dice and hoping it lands at least on a 4. You can't base a team around them. Maybe they will all come good and we'll be fine - maybe none of them will and we'll get relegated.

I think you are masking pessimism as realism there buddy.

In reality a first team of
---------------------GK
Yiadom--Moore--Blackett--Obita
------Rinomhota---CM
Meite-----------Swift----------Barrow
---------------------ST

Walker/Boyce-Clarke
Watson/Howe
Osho/McIntyre
Richards
East/Holsgrove
Olise/Barrett
Loader/Novakovich

is not nearly as dire as it first appears to be. 4 strong additions in GK, CB, CM and ST and we have a full team. A full team with several quality players already in it. Yiadom, Moore, Rinomhota, Meite, Barrow and Swift are all good standard for this league. Obita too if he makes a good recovery.

Olise looked bright and capable and Loader is one of the most sought after young talents in the league.

Now we might not get someone good enough for each position we are currently lacking numbers in but we could be a lot worse off.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2019 15:06

Drop Virginia, Miazga, Baker/Ejaria and Oliveria in and you'd have a decent line up such as:

---------------------Virginia
Yiadom--Moore--Miazga - Blackett
------Rinomhota---Ejaria/Baker
---------------------Oliveria

Walker
Watson/Howe
McIntyre
Richards
Olise
Loader
Novakovich

As long as Kia/Howe get in the right loans we line up fairly well. Gone a bit quiet on Diaby and that Brazilian winger, but thats two more who could come in.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2019 17:04

We can officially drop Kelly out of this thread.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jul 2019 17:17

NewCorkSeth
Elm Park Kid

GKs - Walker
STs - Novakovich

Reading’s horrendous injury problems of the last 2 years (something like a minimum of what would have been 3/4 first team players out every week) simply have to be improved as it certainly must be a bog factor in the team struggling throughout the period.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jul 2019 17:27

NewCorkSeth We can officially drop Kelly out of this thread.

Transfer fee for Kelly was £0!

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Jul 2019 17:29

At the foot of the Kelly page it also said that Reading can also confirm that it has been mutually agreed that young Dutch defender Darren Sidoel will part company with the Royals in advance of the expiration of his contract with the club.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2019 17:36

URZZZZ

Sauce?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2019 17:37

URZZZZ

Is that confirmed? Bit poor if we didn’t get anything at all for him

Edit: just seen that on Friday’s thread. Along with Kelly’s goodbye message (guessing by the grammar he didn’t spend too long thinking about that one)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Jul 2019 22:53

Ghana eliminated tonight, Yiadom will get a few extra weeks off before he joins the squad I would think.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jul 2019 10:14

Courtney reckons Baldock not going anywhere unless wages are fully paid up. Wonder if thats partly why he is on the Spain tour, realised how difficult he'll be too get rid of

I think he could offer something tbf. Partnered with Novakovich for example, could be a good big man/little man

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Jul 2019 10:21

Hound Courtney reckons Baldock not going anywhere unless wages are fully paid up. Wonder if thats partly why he is on the Spain tour, realised how difficult he'll be too get rid of

I think he could offer something tbf. Partnered with Novakovich for example, could be a good big man/little man

He needs a partner to fully thrive but I cant see Gomes making such large changes for an unwanted player.

I still think he a decent player who can do a job on the left as well as up front. He offers good coverage for the inevitable injury crisis and has plenty of experience to lend the younger players.

If he wasnt on such (reportedly) high wages then I wouldn't even have him on my get rid list.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jul 2019 10:22

agreed. I think he is a good player. The fitness issues are a major worry though - he was injury prone for Brighton, and the number of lay offs last year were not acceptable

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Jul 2019 10:27

NewCorkSeth
Elm Park Kid
NewCorkSeth There is probably only a handful of clubs in the world who are not vulnerable to injury. We have to accept that we will need a little bit of luck on the injury front this season regardless of whether or not we get another 4 players in the door. The younger players I have listed above should really be pushing to get on the bench and hopefully the coaching team can get them to the point where should we suffer a couple of bad injuries they can fill in until January/end of the season.

---------------------GK
------Rinomhota---CM
---------------------ST

Walker/Boyce-Clarke
Watson/Howe
Osho/McIntyre
Richards
East/Holsgrove
Olise/Barrett
Loader/Novakovich

is not nearly as dire as it first appears to be. 4 strong additions in GK, CB, CM and ST and we have a full team. A full team with several quality players already in it. Yiadom, Moore, Rinomhota, Meite, Barrow and Swift are all good standard for this league. Obita too if he makes a good recovery.

Olise looked bright and capable and Loader is one of the most sought after young talents in the league.

Now we might not get someone good enough for each position we are currently lacking numbers in but we could be a lot worse off.

think its easy to underestimate how much difference a fit obita and a confident nova could make to this squad

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Jul 2019 10:29

Hound agreed. I think he is a good player. The fitness issues are a major worry though - he was injury prone for Brighton, and the number of lay offs last year were not acceptable

It wouldn't be a new season at Reading if there wasnt an impending injury crisis.

Hopefully Obita has put the worst behind him and with McCleary moving out that's one less injury prone player to worry about.

My biggest concern is Meite. If his (hamstring?) Isnt sorted then we look awful weak on the right flank. Yes Barrett and Olise might be able to slip in there. Ejaria too. But they are all fairly untested and none are natural wingers. We just have to pray the plan is to play with inside forwards rather than out and out wingers.

I know he wasnt spectacular but it would have been nice to keep Harriott around for this exact problem. He cant have been on too high a wage and started putting in some decent performances. Maybe Baldock can do a job as cover there too though.

I know it's not the bible but on football manager Baldock has a load of appearance fees due to Brighton for certain landmark games. If true then I would be cautious about using him unless his form picks up a huge amount.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Jul 2019 10:31

Maneki Neko
NewCorkSeth
Elm Park Kid

---------------------GK
------Rinomhota---CM
---------------------ST

Walker/Boyce-Clarke
Watson/Howe
Osho/McIntyre
Richards
East/Holsgrove
Olise/Barrett
Loader/Novakovich

think its easy to underestimate how much difference a fit obita and a confident nova could make to this squad

Novakovich is in the unfortunate position being the only* striker we have right now. That's why I include that position as a troubling area.

*obviously we have Meite, Loader and Baldock able to play there currently but one is our Right winger, one played all his games for us (I think) as an attacking midfielder/side forward and one is unwanted.

Agree on Obita. He was a fairly decent LB before his injury. Could add a lot to the team.

1826 posts