Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Zip » 30 May 2019 18:54

Snowflake Royal
Zip Agreed Ian. It’s very early to be selling/signing players. I am though concerned there will be little interest in the likes of Popa, Meyler, Walker, Kelly, Watson etc let alone the likes of Gunter, Baldock and GMac who are still involved in the squad. We know Hibs want McNulty. It would be nice to get that deal done soon to get another off the books.

There's no money IN Scottish football. I doubt Hibs could find £500k for him let alone the over a million we'd want.

Hibs will have some money to spend and £500,000 would be below their transfer record. That would be the bare minimum he should go for. In reality we should be looking at getting £800,000 for him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 May 2019 19:15

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip Agreed Ian. It’s very early to be selling/signing players. I am though concerned there will be little interest in the likes of Popa, Meyler, Walker, Kelly, Watson etc let alone the likes of Gunter, Baldock and GMac who are still involved in the squad. We know Hibs want McNulty. It would be nice to get that deal done soon to get another off the books.

There's no money IN Scottish football. I doubt Hibs could find £500k for him let alone the over a million we'd want.

Hibs will have some money to spend and £500,000 would be below their transfer record. That would be the bare minimum he should go for. In reality we should be looking at getting £800,000 for him.

After his loan success I'd be looking for £1.5m.

Got a Hibby chum who is convinced they can't afford transfer fees and can only get loans, frees and cheapos.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 May 2019 19:29

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal There's no money IN Scottish football. I doubt Hibs could find £500k for him let alone the over a million we'd want.

Got a Hibby chum who is convinced they can't afford transfer fees and can only get loans, frees and cheapos.

Well they can do one then. I’m not sure anyone would pay us £1.5 million. He has yet to show he can cut it in the Championship.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 May 2019 19:34

I'd still rather keep and sell Baldock. Borderline between him and Bod tbh.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 May 2019 19:46

Snowflake Royal I'd still rather keep and sell Baldock. Borderline between him and Bod tbh.

Agreed. Although not fussed if all three go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 May 2019 19:50

Zip
Snowflake Royal I'd still rather keep and sell Baldock. Borderline between him and Bod tbh.

Three is probs too many.

That would leave Loader, Nova, Meite. Although Loader, Nova, Meite, Oliveria is a different matter.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 May 2019 20:04

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Well they can do one then. I’m not sure anyone would pay us £1.5 million. He has yet to show he can cut it in the Championship.

Can't see us selling for less than he cost us.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 May 2019 20:12

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Three is probs too many.

That would leave Loader, Nova, Meite. Although Loader, Nova, Meite, Oliveria is a different matter.

I’m hoping for the four you have mentioned in your final sentence.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 May 2019 20:15

maffff
Zip
Snowflake Royal After his loan success I'd be looking for £1.5m.

Can't see us selling for less than he cost us.

I think he cost us £1.3 million. I can’t see a Scottish club paying that unless it’s one of the big two. So that then leaves Championship clubs and maybe Sunderland. Not convinced anyone will offs that for him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 May 2019 20:47

Would be shocked if we held out for that much. Think it'll be a case of getting rid of him at any price to be honest without it being ridiculously low

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 May 2019 20:49

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Three is probs too many.

No, we need to keep one of the other three. Loader is a attacking midfielder. Nova is untested in this league. Meite is a winger. Oliveira played 10 out of 20 games whilst being here. We'll definitely need to keep one of them at least

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 May 2019 20:51

URZZZZ
Zip
Snowflake Royal Three is probs too many.

No, we need to keep one of the other three. Loader is a attacking midfielder. Nova is untested in this league. Meite is a winger. Oliveira played 10 out of 20 games whilst being here. We'll definitely need to keep one of them at least

Meite can play centre forward or on the wing. He played in both positions regularly throughout last season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 May 2019 21:38

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

Meite can play centre forward or on the wing. He played in both positions regularly throughout last season.

You've got to factor in that Urzzz still thinks he isn't a footballer.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 May 2019 21:42

Snowflake Royal
Zip
URZZZZ

That’s slightly unfair. Even when Meite was at his worst up front , I still suggested he’d be a decent option off the wing. To me, there’s nothing to show he has decent attributes as a striker, he scores as many on the wing and looks a lot more dangerous there

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 May 2019 21:48

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Zip

That’s slightly unfair. Even when Meite was at his worst up front , I still suggested he’d be a decent option off the wing. To me, there’s nothing to show he has decent attributes as a striker, he scores as many on the wing and looks a lot more dangerous there

Happy to see him in either position. He had a couple of months when it wa a struggle but it did coincide with his ankle injury.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 31 May 2019 13:41

Gomes's comments to the Portuguese media don't look great for incomings. Apparently we can only look at free Transfers at the moment and cant even afford any loan players.

I think we can forget about strengthening the squad overall, at this moment in time we just need a starting 11 that is competitive in the Championship. So that will be a new Goalkeeper, Center Back, Midfielder and a Striker at the very least. The rest of the squad will then need to be bulked up by the Academy.

So basically we are shopping in the free transfer market which in the past has resulted in us buying rubbish on big bumper contracts with no resale value.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 May 2019 14:28

Getthebeerens Gomes's comments to the Portuguese media don't look great for incomings. Apparently we can only look at free Transfers at the moment and cant even afford any loan players.

I think we can forget about strengthening the squad overall, at this moment in time we just need a starting 11 that is competitive in the Championship. So that will be a new Goalkeeper, Center Back, Midfielder and a Striker at the very least. The rest of the squad will then need to be bulked up by the Academy.

So basically we are shopping in the free transfer market which in the past has resulted in us buying rubbish on big bumper contracts with no resale value.

The Tilehurst End site gives an insight on his comments here

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 May 2019 17:24

If this is accurate we're almost as good as down with the squad we have unless three or four Academy lads make a big step up, we have no injuries or we do better shifting players than is likely.

The ones who are valuable mostly need replacing if they go. The ones who are costly aren't attractive prospects to others.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 May 2019 17:37

Snowflake Royal If this is accurate we're almost as good as down with the squad we have unless three or four Academy lads make a big step up, we have no injuries or we do better shifting players than is likely.

The ones who are valuable mostly need replacing if they go. The ones who are costly aren't attractive prospects to others.

I think that’s a little harsh on Gomes. Yes without doubt the loanees were the quality and catalyst we needed to survive, but a lot of players seemed to up their game under Gomes and his man management appeared very good. Let’s not forget we don’t have to replicate our end of season form to avoid relegation, we were pushing playoff form.

It’s not great reading but there’s no reason to worry just yet.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 May 2019 17:56

We've got:
Barely 1 senior keeper
1 senior CB
3 senior midfielders, one who has been sidelined
And striker isn't exactly inspiring.

I'm far from convinced it's as bad as described, but that's bleak.

But thoughts of mid-table or upper half are a mega distance away based on that.

1826 posts