Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Elm Park Kid » 03 May 2019 15:59

If we let Rinomhota go for £4m there would surely be uproar.

Whereas £4m for Loader would be a very acceptable figure.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 May 2019 16:00

Don’t think Gunter has the aura to drive forward the younger kids, you could see how spineless he was when he was captain for a brief spell

Possibly McCleary though I suppose

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 May 2019 16:03

Elm Park Kid If we let Rinomhota go for £4m there would surely be uproar.

Whereas £4m for Loader would be a very acceptable figure.

Very acceptable or the minimum amount fans would accept without throwing a massive tantrum? I wouldn't be happy losing a prospect like him for roughly half an Aluko.

Basildon

by Basildon » 03 May 2019 16:04

URZZZZ Don’t think Gunter has the aura to drive forward the younger kids, you could see how spineless he was when he was captain for a brief spell

I'd say Gunter is a great role model for the younger players, he is a model professional.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 May 2019 16:24

Basildon
URZZZZ Don’t think Gunter has the aura to drive forward the younger kids, you could see how spineless he was when he was captain for a brief spell

I'd say Gunter is a great role model for the younger players, he is a model professional.

+1 never really injured either so his training methods must be up to scratch.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 May 2019 16:33

URZZZZ This is forgetting the likes of McIntyre, Osho, Barrett etc but they should be kept on anyway. Not sure what Southwood and Ward are like in all honesty

Sam Smith valued at 1 million was a bit of a joke. Jonathan Low has improved massively but that's ridiculous, Smith is just the striker version of George Evans, completely bang average, and struggling to make the bench of a league 1 relegation team

Well transfermarkt assesses George Evans value at 900K, so.... :D

I wouldn't be against keeping Meyler, dependant on wages, I think he would be a decent model for the younger lads, and I'm a bit wary of kicking out all the experience we have left in the squad

how many experienced players, who don't get on the pitch, do we need? I like Meyler, but all else being equal, I'd rather keep the players that Gomes values enough to occasionally play, "for dressing-room experience", rather than one he was desperate to ship out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 May 2019 16:41

muirinho
URZZZZ This is forgetting the likes of McIntyre, Osho, Barrett etc but they should be kept on anyway. Not sure what Southwood and Ward are like in all honesty

Sam Smith valued at 1 million was a bit of a joke. Jonathan Low has improved massively but that's ridiculous, Smith is just the striker version of George Evans, completely bang average, and struggling to make the bench of a league 1 relegation team

Well transfermarkt assesses George Evans value at 900K, so.... :D

I wouldn't be against keeping Meyler, dependant on wages, I think he would be a decent model for the younger lads, and I'm a bit wary of kicking out all the experience we have left in the squad

how many experienced players, who don't get on the pitch, do we need? I like Meyler, but all else being equal, I'd rather keep the players that Gomes values enough to occasionally play, "for dressing-room experience", rather than one he was desperate to ship out.

Incidentally, if you were wondering, as far as I can make out since his move George Evans has made 1 start for Derby in the league cup and 3 sub apps in the league. Still wish Reading would have kept him though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 May 2019 16:44

I'm pretty sure he has made more than that. After we played them scanned their site, and they generally thought he was pretty useless. Much like me tbh

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 May 2019 16:55

Hendo
Basildon

+1 never really injured either so his training methods must be up to scratch.

+2 - seems to have great respect from his fellow-pros and every manager he's played for - Gomes was praising him last week.

I reckon "on pitch aura" is something fans want, and is not necessarily something the team needs, from the captain. For all that he's a lot quieter, there was minimal difference in results, if any, between games in, for instance, our promotion season with McShane as captain and Gunter as captain.

Either McCleary or Gunter would be great to have as dressingroom role models for the younger kids - don't know if you'd need both though, given wages, and I'd say it would be easier to move Gunter on, because clubs taking him wouldn't worry about injuries

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2019 17:01

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ May be shot down for this but I think ejaria is one of those players who will thrive in the German/Dutch leagues, I don’t think he’s suited to the championship too much. As it goes, I don’t think he’s done enough here, a poor start, followed by a few decent games in the middle and then he’s been poor again in April really, other than Brentford

I cant remember him being poor. For me hes been a player in the making during his time here. Hes got so much potential.

IMO there's a reason that Ejaria hasn't started pretty much every match he's been available whilst Martinez, Miazga and Oliveira mostly have and Baker got to that position after about a month.

It's not that our options in his area where great, it's that he was nowhere near as reliable as MMO and latterly Baker.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 May 2019 17:17

Basildon

I'd say Gunter is the player equivalent of Clement. Generally nice and honest, but when the tough gets going, I don't think they'll have the backbone to tell the players as it is, unlike people like Meyler, McShane. Gunter is a useful player to have around, but not as one of the leaders of the squad

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 May 2019 17:20

Probably the worst kept secret but Danzell is already looking for a new club

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... reading-fc

Presuming that the official released list will be known by this time next week.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 May 2019 17:20

Hound I'm pretty sure he has made more than that. After we played them scanned their site, and they generally thought he was pretty useless. Much like me tbh

He's played 10 games in the league with a few starts dotted in there. Was injured for a long time TBF to him. Scanning through their sites, most said they didn't understand what he brought. However, he came on against Bristol on the weekend in their playoff deciding game and played CB and by all means he did well there. I know Stam put him there occasionally, maybe that's his most effective position

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2019 15:19

Olise and to a lesser extent Barrett just pushed me further towards the idea we can cash in on Swift this summer without too much trouble. Baker would be such a great signing.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 May 2019 15:31

Worst case scenario, no signings at all:

Southwood, Ward
Yiadom, Blackett, Gunter, Richards (Obita)
Moore, McIntyre, Osho, Holmes
Rinomhota, Swift, Kelly, East, Holsgrove
Barrow, Meite, Loader, Barrett, Olise
Bodvarsson, Novakovich, Baldock

Centre midfield the clear weak spot particularly if Kelly remains frozen out. Could also use a winger and a centre back. Miazga, Baker, Ejaria, and a winger (Harriott maybe?) should see us through.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 May 2019 16:26

All we know is that every single player at the club could move on in the summer (which, unless you are Barcelona or ManC is probably true of any club anywhere) so is hardly news.

Top of the list to be moved on, IMO, will be any player signed under Ron Gourlay’s regime (so those signing contracts between summer 2017 and winter 2018).

JG to be having those conversations with those specific players and their agents this week so some may be bought out while others may have their names circulated to clubs that have shown previous interest.

JG wants to get business tied up quickly and he mentioned end of May so planning and organisation for the new season can be as smooth and organised as possible but as we know this is probably going to be unlikely given the nature of the business.

The dynamic has to shift as with the loanees all leaving the the squad is obviously going to be one that is relegation bound so 5/6 players have to come in and be as high quality and successful as those loanees.

Probably going to be a surprising and busy 90 days until the start of the new season then.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2019 16:36

Assuming all the ooc players are gone

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 May 2019 16:42

Sutekh All we know is that every single player at the club could move on in the summer

Only if the transfer made sense though. Today we saw the core of next seasons squad and what the future holds. If O'Shea does indeed stay on the coaching staff. Then he'll tick the boxes in as far as having experience in the dressing room is concerned. Having no DOF will save a considerable amount of money for the club as well.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2019 16:43

Very telling that Bodvarsson wasn’t in the squad even thought he was fit. No game time for Baldock or Ezatolahi. Kelly and Harriott not in the squad. I would be surprised if any of these players were still here next season

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 05 May 2019 16:49

Sutekh With the loanees all leaving the the squad is obviously going to be one that is relegation bound so 5/6 players have to come in and be as high quality and successful as those loanees.

Or at least much better than last Summer's signings ('good ideas', aside).

1826 posts