Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by 72 bus » 28 Apr 2019 18:59

Denver Royal
72 bus
Denver Royal Re. 1st paragraph, I'd like to think we could sign one of them permanently by getting rid of the dead wood.
Signing a second one permanently may be dependent on us selling Swift and/or Moore.
And yes, getting another 1 or 2 re-signed on a loan again would be great.

Re. 2nd paragraph, that scouting network presumably were instrumental in finding those 5, and so it seems reasonable to think they could find some 'other' players too. Even if we don't bring back any of the 5 and have to move on, it suggests we're in good hands and that a blueprint is in place with regard to identifying players that fit our specific needs.

The Loan players were nothing to do with the scouting network, they were basically sourced by Kia Joorabchian's
agency

What, so we never even looked at them then? Given the success of those 5, is it possible we can/should go down a similar route this Summer, and not actually need a scouting network? In the case of Oliveira, we had reportedly been wanting him for a couple of years, so he didn't need much scouting anyway.

We knew about them, Maizaga we wanted before he went to chelsea, Baker we had been keeping tabs on for a while and he is a friend of Swifts from Chelsea and England, Martinez we will have known about through his goalkeeping coach at Arsenal Sal Bibbo, the only one possible not known well to us would have been the liverpool lad.
Joorabchian's agency brokered the deals, hence Mikael Sylvestere's presence at the ground.
There will be a cost to all this somewhere down the line though, no doubt about that.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 Apr 2019 19:28

72 bus
Denver Royal
72 bus
The Loan players were nothing to do with the scouting network, they were basically sourced by Kia Joorabchian's
agency

What, so we never even looked at them then? Given the success of those 5, is it possible we can/should go down a similar route this Summer, and not actually need a scouting network? In the case of Oliveira, we had reportedly been wanting him for a couple of years, so he didn't need much scouting anyway.

We knew about them, Maizaga we wanted before he went to chelsea, Baker we had been keeping tabs on for a while and he is a friend of Swifts from Chelsea and England, Martinez we will have known about through his goalkeeping coach at Arsenal Sal Bibbo, the only one possible not known well to us would have been the liverpool lad.
Joorabchian's agency brokered the deals, hence Mikael Sylvestere's presence at the ground.
There will be a cost to all this somewhere down the line though, no doubt about that.

Thanks for solving the mystery of why Silvestre was in the hotel pre-match (Leeds?) the other week.
BTW somebody at the club may know Barry Hunter ,who is a scout at Liverpool these days, thus possibly the Ejaria deal.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Apr 2019 20:54

Another interesting(ish) topic up for discussion is to do with formation. Gomes has to varying degrees of success played 2 (rather fluid) formations for the most part.

A 4-2-3-1:
------------GK------------
RB----CB----CB----LB
-------CM-----CM------
AMR----AMC----AML
------------ST------------

And a 5-2-3:
-----CB---CB---CB-----
WBR---------------WBR
-------CM-----CM------
AMR----------------AML
-------------ST------------

(At least by my estimations)

So we should be taking how many players we will need per position (if we can expect Gomes to continue with these 2 formations next season)

Seems to me we should be looking at:
3xGK
2×RB
4xCB
2xLB
4xCM
2xAMR
2xAMC
2xAML
3xST
At a minimum. So thats:
GK?, GK?, Southwood or Ward
Yiadom, Gunter
Moore, CB?, CB?, McIntyre or Osho or Holmes
Blackett, Obita
Rinomhota,CM?, CM?, East
Meite, McCleary
Swift, Olise
Barrow, Barrett
Bodvarson, Baldock, Loader, Novakovich

That really should make our gaps pretty obvious. Especially to those of you who think LB is a priority..
Last edited by NewCorkSeth on 28 Apr 2019 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Apr 2019 21:10

NewCorkSeth Another interesting(ish) topic up for discussion is to do with formation. Gomes has to varying degrees of success played 2 (rather fluid) formations for the most part.

A 4-2-3-1:
RB----CB----CB----LB
-------CM-----CM------
AMR----AMC----AML

And a 5-2-3:
-----CB---CB---CB-----
WBR---------------WBR
-------CM-----CM------
AMR----------------AML

So we should be taking how many players we will need per position (if we can expect Gomes to continue with these 2 formations next season)

3xGK
2×RB
4xCB
2xLB
4xCM
2xAMR
2xAMC
2xAML
3xST
At a minimum. So thats:
Yiadom, Gunter
Blackett, Obita
Rinomhota,CM?, CM?, East
Meite, McCleary
Swift, Barrett
Barrow, AML?

That really should make our gaps pretty obvious. Especially to those of you who think LB is a priority..

Barrett could fill the left wing role or play on the right. Olise is more likely as a central midfielder than Barrett.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Apr 2019 21:17

Nameless
NewCorkSeth Another interesting(ish) topic up for discussion is to do with formation. Gomes has to varying degrees of success played 2 (rather fluid) formations for the most part.

A 4-2-3-1:
RB----CB----CB----LB
-------CM-----CM------
AMR----AMC----AML

And a 5-2-3:
-----CB---CB---CB-----
WBR---------------WBR
-------CM-----CM------
AMR----------------AML

3xGK
2×RB
4xCB
2xLB
4xCM
2xAMR
2xAMC
2xAML
3xST
At a minimum. So thats:
Yiadom, Gunter
Blackett, Obita
Rinomhota,CM?, CM?, East
Meite, McCleary
Swift, Olise
Barrow, Barrett

Barrett could fill the left wing role or play on the right. Olise is more likely as a central midfielder than Barrett.

Cool beans switched it out.

King Coppell

by King Coppell » 29 Apr 2019 00:07

Good to hear Jose has turned Novakovich’s loan club down regarding another loan and said the striker is not for sale. Interesting summer ahead for our younger players!

If Oliveira does come in as well then I think we’ll almost certainly see the back of Baldock and Jon Dadi.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Apr 2019 00:09

I really really really hope Nova can be good enough to be our number 1. As much as I like Nelson, I have huge reservations and if money is going to be tight this summer I’d sooner see it spent on Miazga or Baker.

(FTR that is not an expectation by any means, just a wild fantasy)
Last edited by CountryRoyal on 29 Apr 2019 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Apr 2019 00:13

72 bus
Denver Royal
72 bus
agency

72 bus, cheers, figured you’d know more about the dynamics of ‘agencies’ than I do.
Whatever the recipe was in Jan, wonder if that was a one-off or whether we will/should approx some of that in the Summer?
Wolves did some agency stuff, right? People said they’d get hit with FFP. It never materialized, they’ve never looked back, and they’re shooting for Europa League.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Apr 2019 00:26

CountryRoyal As much as like Nelson, I have huge reservations.

Yep, you’re usually astute, and tbh I have some too.
Then again, he’s in the shop window right now, and I’ve wondered how he might be different here (and how Gomes might be different with him), if he became a permanent player here vs. just being here on loan.
But yes, he’ll score goals in the Champ, and doubt he’d be a bust in that regard.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Apr 2019 08:45

Looks like we might be looking at players from Jose's old club:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/reading-frida ... c-options/

From the article -

There are four players from the home side who may have impressed. One of them was striker Ronan, who was brought in the second half and scored an important goal to equalise.

Midfielder Gelson Dala, who’s been on loan from Sporting, created several chances and made the assists for both of Rio Ave’s goals. He now has six goals and nine assists this season.

Midfielder Felipe Augusto also had a great job controlling possession in midfield, and winger Nuno Santos, besides creating constant danger, also scored an important goal to start Rio Ave’s reaction.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Apr 2019 10:11

Today's EP site has a write up on expectation for some

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... r-16141630

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2019 13:24

CountryRoyal I really really really hope Nova can be good enough to be our number 1. As much as I like Nelson, I have huge reservations and if money is going to be tight this summer I’d sooner see it spent on Miazga or Baker.

(FTR that is not an expectation by any means, just a wild fantasy)

Yeah Nelson is quality but definite question marks over his team ethic given the first few hints of some greedy play.

So if it's a question or Nelson or Baker / Miazga and we can give Nova a go instead then I'm cool with that. No Nova and I think we have to take Oliveira as a priority.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Apr 2019 13:35

I think we would win more points in total next season by signing Miazga or Baker over Oliveira. I like him a lot and he might become a good fulcrum in attack but he had several times in his brief stint so far where he should have passed but didnt.

I like a striker who's desperate to score but I prefer one who is desperate to win.

A solid backline, a proper keeper or a partner for Rinomhota should all be ahead of the "new striker" issue. Not that I think we will be able to do all 3 this summer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2019 17:45

The counter arguments to that are Fozzie

And if you don't have a goalscorer you'll not only struggle to score but struggle to threaten the opposition which gives them more freedom to attack, putting you under more pressure. If you dont score you can't win and wins are way more valuable than draws. 46 0-0 draws is not a very safe season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Apr 2019 17:52

Snowflake Royal The counter arguments to that are Fozzie

And if you don't have a goalscorer you'll not only struggle to score but struggle to threaten the opposition which gives them more freedom to attack, putting you under more pressure. If you dont score you can't win and wins are way more valuable than draws. 46 0-0 draws is not a very safe season.

Theres always penalties? :wink:

Also if Meite and Barrow build on their bromance we should get at least 15 goals..

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Apr 2019 17:56

King Coppell Good to hear Jose has turned Novakovich’s loan club down regarding another loan and said the striker is not for sale. Interesting summer ahead for our younger players!

If Oliveira does come in as well then I think we’ll almost certainly see the back of Baldock and Jon Dadi.

...and McNulty

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Apr 2019 18:52

morganb Looks like we might be looking at players from Jose's old club:

From the article -

There are four players from the home side who may have impressed. One of them was striker Ronan, who was brought in the second half and scored an important goal to equalise.

Midfielder Gelson Dala, who’s been on loan from Sporting, created several chances and made the assists for both of Rio Ave’s goals. He now has six goals and nine assists this season.

Midfielder Felipe Augusto also had a great job controlling possession in midfield, and winger Nuno Santos, besides creating constant danger, also scored an important goal to start Rio Ave’s reaction.

Will be interesting to see whether brexit has a bearing on signings this year. Not that there is any restrictions but it may make foreign players a bit nervy signing a 3 year contract with no idea of what is going to happen.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Apr 2019 18:53

linkenholtroyal

From the article -

Will be interesting to see whether brexit has a bearing on signings this year. Not that there is any restrictions but it may make foreign players a bit nervy signing a 3 year contract with no idea of what is going to happen.

I doubt they will deport people earning that amount of money.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Apr 2019 18:53

Zip
King Coppell Good to hear Jose has turned Novakovich’s loan club down regarding another loan and said the striker is not for sale. Interesting summer ahead for our younger players!

...and McNulty

If it was me I would keep bod he is the best target man of the 3 not as good a oli but he can hold the ball up and play it off. Also goal to game ratio is pretty good.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Apr 2019 18:55

NewCorkSeth
linkenholtroyal

From the article -

I doubt they will deport people earning that amount of money.

No but another European club maybe seen as less of a risk to them. Uncertainty breeds weird things.

1826 posts