Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
alfie9

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by alfie9 » 14 Jul 2019 04:25

NewCorkSeth
Sutekh
FiNeRaIn
Pretty sure I got lambasted for saying the same thing a few weeks ago.

Positive noises or not, we still haven't signed anyone of note and offloaded Kelly, who despite having a downer of a season was a strong player. Our squad is MASSIVELY weaker than last year, of course we are tipped for relegation. It's time to get going on signings...

Let’s also not lose sight of the fact that we get Mannone and Aluko back at the end of the year and so have to be able to cover their wages until they can be moved on again.

Potential that Mannone is a loan to buy and they have made a commitment to purchasing him following the completion if his loan.

I think there is at least a 90% chance that Minnesota buy Mannone in January. They love him, he had another game-winning penalty save in stoppage time today

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jul 2019 07:54

Having watched the Sevilla friendly I'm increasingly convinced we definitely do not want any more attacking midfielders.

Swift - still rubbish in CM, only an AM
Loader - can't lead the line, definitely an AM where he can drift between the lines and drop deeper
Olise - great prospect and AM probably best position, but can do wide as well, should get plenty of minutes from the bench this season
Holsgrove - can play wider but I prefer him central, maybe CM as well
McNulty - until he leaves he's a similar option to Loader in behind IMO, different styles obviously
Baldock - doesn't really fit the shape, but can run around a lot in that AM role, prefer him wide if at all

If Ejaria comes he's similar to Olise in that he can do a job across that front 3 behind the striker... maybe CM, but not keen there.

Compared to CM where we have Rinomhota.... and er... East, maybe Holsgrove, Buadu didn't look up to it, Swift spends all his time there setting up attacks, but it's a coin toss whether it's theirs or ours.

CD looks much better covered with Moore, McIntyre, Osho and maybe Blackett.

Upfront it's also just Novakovich and Meite - who already has a starting position elsewhere nailed down. Neither Loader nor Baldock are the right players to lead the line solo for us. Oliveira is a must.

We're a bit raw in our depth but we've generally got decent coverage everywhere but CM and ST.
GK: Virginia, Walker, Andresson
RB: Yiadom, Howe, Watson
LB: Blackett, Obita, Richards
CB: Moore, Osho
CB: McIntyre, Odimayo
CM: Rinomhota,
CM: East,
AM: Swift, Loader, Olise, Holsgrove, Baldock
RW: Meite, Frost
LW: Barrow, Barrett
ST: Novakovich, ,

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Jul 2019 08:09

Wouldn’t disagree Ian, CM needs bolstering along with CB and CF. Huge pressure on Rino if we dint bring him in some help

Happy enough with everything else, got options all over the place. Barrett another capable ACM

Would be happy to keep Baldock tbh. He was helping out Nova a lot with his positioning last night I noticed

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jul 2019 08:28

Agreed as well but I’d like to see Boadu in the first XI before passing judgement. Also think Swift can do a job as one of the two midfielders against teams that drop back, he had one of his best games in a Reading shirt against QPR who gave him the time and space. When teams press high, I don’t think he’s an option there

Would just add McIntyre struggled with Sevilla’s high press and played quite a few sloppy passes out. Howe looks a better prospect than Watson and Richards isn’t good enough as a LB

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Jul 2019 09:48

Right. So going over the original post we have actully shifted a fair amount of players out and I have listed in red the players who are likely on the transfer list but are still here. At the start of the week Gomes said he wanted 3-4 players in this week. We have 1 and maybe another today if we are lucky. However looking at the list I think we need 4 more to have a full squad.

GOALKEEPERS
J. Virgínia (Loan)
S. Walker
J. Andresson
RIGHT BACKS
A. Yiadom
C. Gunter
T. Watson
T. Howe
LEFT BACKS
J. Obita
T. Blackett
O. Richards
CENTRE BACKS
L. Moore
T. McIntyre
T. Holmes
G. Osho
CENTRE MIDS
A. Rinomhota
D. Meyler
R. East
RIGHT WING
Y. Meite
G. McCleary
A. Popa
ATTACKING MIDS
J. Swift
D. Loader
M. Olise
J. Barrett
LEFT WING
M. Barrow
STRIKERS
S. Baldock
M. McNulty
A. Novakovich
S. Smith

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jul 2019 10:15

URZZZZ Agreed as well but I’d like to see Boadu in the first XI before passing judgement. Also think Swift can do a job as one of the two midfielders against teams that drop back, he had one of his best games in a Reading shirt against QPR who gave him the time and space. When teams press high, I don’t think he’s an option there

Would just add McIntyre struggled with Sevilla’s high press and played quite a few sloppy passes out. Howe looks a better prospect than Watson and Richards isn’t good enough as a LB

Agree. Just don't think you can pick your central midfield based on the level of press you expect.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Jul 2019 11:17

Gomes not holding back in his interview post match about needing new players asap

And I don’t just think he means getting Boadu to sign a deal

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Jul 2019 13:44

Hound Wouldn’t disagree Ian, CM needs bolstering along with CB and CF. Huge pressure on Rino if we dint bring him in some help

Happy enough with everything else, got options all over the place. Barrett another capable ACM

Would be happy to keep Baldock tbh. He was helping out Nova a lot with his positioning last night I noticed

Agree with both of you. My concern is that if Rinomhota gets injured we look very lightweight in midfield.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jul 2019 14:16

Zip
Hound Wouldn’t disagree Ian, CM needs bolstering along with CB and CF. Huge pressure on Rino if we dint bring him in some help

Agree with both of you. My concern is that if Rinomhota gets injured we look very lightweight in midfield.

That's being kind.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 14 Jul 2019 14:31

NewCorkSeth Right. So going over the original post we have actully shifted a fair amount of players out and I have listed in red the players who are likely on the transfer list but are still here. At the start of the week Gomes said he wanted 3-4 players in this week. We have 1 and maybe another today if we are lucky. However looking at the list I think we need 4 more to have a full squad.

GOALKEEPERS
J. Virgínia (Loan)
S. Walker
J. Andresson
RIGHT BACKS
A. Yiadom
C. Gunter
T. Watson
T. Howe
LEFT BACKS
J. Obita
T. Blackett
O. Richards
CENTRE BACKS
L. Moore
T. McIntyre
T. Holmes
G. Osho
CENTRE MIDS
A. Rinomhota
D. Meyler
R. East
RIGHT WING
Y. Meite
G. McCleary
A. Popa
ATTACKING MIDS
J. Swift
D. Loader
M. Olise
J. Barrett
LEFT WING
M. Barrow
STRIKERS
S. Baldock
M. McNulty
A. Novakovich
S. Smith

This squad looks woefully short of quality and depth to me.

I think we have some good youngsters but I am not sure how they will fair in a tough 46 games campaign in the Championship.

We have one proven central defender in Liam Moore and our left back options look really poor. Will Obita be the same player post injury?

At least we have time to bring players in but they won’t have much time to bed in before the season starts.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jul 2019 14:34

We won't be bringing in a LB that's for sure. And surely we look stronger at CB than midfield and striker.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Jul 2019 14:39

blythspartan
NewCorkSeth Right. So going over the original post we have actully shifted a fair amount of players out and I have listed in red the players who are likely on the transfer list but are still here. At the start of the week Gomes said he wanted 3-4 players in this week. We have 1 and maybe another today if we are lucky. However looking at the list I think we need 4 more to have a full squad.

GOALKEEPERS
J. Virgínia (Loan)
S. Walker
J. Andresson
RIGHT BACKS
A. Yiadom
C. Gunter
T. Watson
T. Howe
LEFT BACKS
J. Obita
T. Blackett
O. Richards
CENTRE BACKS
L. Moore
T. McIntyre
T. Holmes
G. Osho
CENTRE MIDS
A. Rinomhota
D. Meyler
R. East
RIGHT WING
Y. Meite
G. McCleary
A. Popa
ATTACKING MIDS
J. Swift
D. Loader
M. Olise
J. Barrett
LEFT WING
M. Barrow
STRIKERS
S. Baldock
M. McNulty
A. Novakovich
S. Smith

I think we have some good youngsters but I am not sure how they will fair in a tough 46 games campaign in the Championship.

We have one proven central defender in Liam Moore and our left back options look really poor. Will Obita be the same player post injury?

At least we have time to bring players in but they won’t have much time to bed in before the season starts.

Have to say (and you're not alone in this) I find the obsession with LB astonishing. We have 1 GK on the books who has made a senior appearance (provided Southwood is off), 1 senior CM, 2 senior wingers and Novakovich sharing duties with the unwanted Baldock.

Yes you could argue that the front 3 will shift about and Loader will be amongst them but that is 4 players for 3 positions.

Left back is our second strongest position right now after AMC.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 14 Jul 2019 15:00

NewCorkSeth
blythspartan

GOALKEEPERS
J. Virgínia (Loan)
S. Walker
J. Andresson
RIGHT BACKS
A. Yiadom
C. Gunter
T. Watson
T. Howe
LEFT BACKS
J. Obita
T. Blackett
O. Richards
CENTRE BACKS
L. Moore
T. McIntyre
T. Holmes
G. Osho
CENTRE MIDS
A. Rinomhota
D. Meyler
R. East
RIGHT WING
Y. Meite
G. McCleary
A. Popa
ATTACKING MIDS
J. Swift
D. Loader
M. Olise
J. Barrett
LEFT WING
M. Barrow
STRIKERS
S. Baldock
M. McNulty
A. Novakovich
S. Smith

Have to say (and you're not alone in this) I find the obsession with LB astonishing. We have 1 GK on the books who has made a senior appearance (provided Southwood is off), 1 senior CM, 2 senior wingers and Novakovich sharing duties with the unwanted Baldock.

Yes you could argue that the front 3 will shift about and Loader will be amongst them but that is 4 players for 3 positions.

Left back is our second strongest position right now after AMC.

I agree about AMC but with regards to LB I just don’t rate Richards and I’ve always thought that Blackett would be a better CB. If Obita is as good as ever and can remain injury free then I wouldn’t be so concerned.

I had convinced myself that we would be okay this season but the helpful squad of players that you put together made me realise that we look short in many areas.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Jul 2019 15:28

Blackett has just come off a really good season, and we can always play one of the right backs on the left, Yiadom and Gunter both look comfortable there. If we bring in a centre back or Osho steps up, then McIntyre also becomes an option there.

If we don't sign another central midfielder, and probably two, then I find it hard to imagine us not being relegated.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jul 2019 15:57

SCIAG Blackett has just come off a really good season, and we can always play one of the right backs on the left, Yiadom and Gunter both look comfortable there. If we bring in a centre back or Osho steps up, then McIntyre also becomes an option there.

If we don't sign another central midfielder, and probably two, then I find it hard to imagine us not being relegated.

Yeah. Blackett is a much better LB than CB in a two for me. Maybe best at a left sided CB in three, but we don't play that enough to really judge.

With Gunter still here, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think our depth at fullback is phenomenal. Not up with the best in the division for the first choice players maybe... but I'd be reasonably comfortable seeing Richards and Watson play for 5/10 games if there's injuries. How many teams can say that about their 4th RB and 3rd LB?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Jul 2019 23:10

Hound Gomes not holding back in his interview post match about needing new players asap

And I don’t just think he means getting Boadu to sign a deal

Yep. Not really happy about the situation, for sure

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Jul 2019 11:18

According to local press in Norwich Oliveira has agreed personal terms with AEK. Very disappointing if he ends up in Greece having been training with us this summer.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jul 2019 11:34

Zip According to local press in Norwich Oliveira has agreed personal terms with AEK. Very disappointing if he ends up in Greece having been training with us this summer.

Was he actually training with us or did he just hire our fitness coach to keep him/get him fit when he wasn't otherwise engaged with the club?

I think with Oliveria there has been a lot of bits and pieces that he was definitely coming this summer when all we really knew is we had an option to buy him - but also we knew we don't have the financial flexibility to do - at least not quickly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2019 12:06

Would explain Gomes' growing frustration if he's been there for the taking for weeks and we lose out because no one but Gourlay wants Sam Baldock or David Meyler.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jul 2019 12:40

I do wonder if it’s partly why Baldock came on tour - that they knew NO was likely to go elsewhere

1826 posts