Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by maffff » 19 May 2019 20:28

Based in u23s alone I'd say Howe has a lot more to him than Watson. Watson's unsuccessful loan doesn't do him any favours either. Watson seems to have the same issue as Gunters, stands off too much

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 May 2019 20:50

maffff Based in u23s alone I'd say Howe has a lot more to him than Watson. Watson's unsuccessful loan doesn't do him any favours either. Watson seems to have the same issue as Gunters, stands off too much

It's a shame because when Watson broke onto the scene, he looked a real tidy player, I remember Arsenal away in the cup and he didn't look out of place there at all. He still made 24 appearances this season which isn't too shabby and Wimbledon fans seemed to appreciate his contribution in general so it wasn't a disaster. Just not sure if he'll ever make it here

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 May 2019 21:03

Watson has also been very brittle which doesn’t help.
Personally I am unconvinced by both him and Richards as defenders. Richards is very naive on the defensive side although looks good going forward.

I don’t share Ian’s confidence about our full-back options especially as we just don’t know if Obita can return to his previous level having barely played for two years.
Howe is unknown at the moment.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 May 2019 21:08

Zip Watson has also been very brittle which doesn’t help.
Personally I am unconvinced by both him and Richards as defenders. Richards is very naive on the defensive side although looks good going forward.

I don’t share Ian’s confidence about our full-back options especially as we just don’t know if Obita can return to his previous level having barely played for two years.

Scanning through, his point wasn't that we had necessary "quality" there, just we have a lot of options there, especially considering we're light in other areas

Gunter - first team for many years
Yiadom - contender for POTS
Blackett - improved, played regularly for three seasons
Obita - has played for nearly four seasons at first team level, maybe he won't return to his pre-injury levels but he could still be a good option
Watson - played first team for half a season
Richards - been on the cusp of the team for two seasons now

Of course there are qualms about all of them. But if you were to compile a list of players in each position, I'd say fullbacks is where we're most stocked. Certainly compared to CB where we have Moore, then three youngsters who hasn't played more than one/two games each

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 May 2019 21:13

URZZZZ

Scanning through, his point wasn't that we had necessary "quality" there, just we have a lot of options there, especially considering we're light in other areas

Obita - has played for nearly four seasons at first team level, maybe he won't return to his pre-injury levels but he could still be a good option

Of course there are qualms about all of them. But if you were to compile a list of players in each position, I'd say fullbacks is where we're most stocked. Certainly compared to CB where we have Moore, then three youngsters who hasn't played more than one/two games each

Plenty of quantity. Unconvinced about the quality.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 May 2019 21:16

Zip
URZZZZ

Plenty of quantity. Unconvinced about the quality.

Do disagree here. Yiadom on one side and Gunter/Blackett sharing the other is an adequate set. Not amazing but good enough. Fair enough though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 May 2019 23:16

I think the comment related to Obita making a full recovery which would mean we had four proven Championship quality full backs plus three with first team appearances who all show various degrees of significant promise.

As I said, not up to the standard of Murty and Shorey or Griffin and Harte, but when you look beyond them we had Makin and Cummings plus Mills respectively and not a whole lot else. So the back up quality is better and in greater numbers now.

When was the last time we had seven full backs all with Championship appearances?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 May 2019 10:06

Novakovich said goodbye to Fortuna Sittard this moring, looks like he could feature next term .

https://twitter.com/AndrijaNovakov3/sta ... 9302103040

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 May 2019 11:02

windermereROYAL Novakovich said goodbye to Fortuna Sittard this moring, looks like he could feature next term .

He won't

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 May 2019 11:30

John Smith
windermereROYAL Novakovich said goodbye to Fortuna Sittard this moring, looks like he could feature next term .

He won't

Sorry Jose , thought you might take a look first before judging him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 May 2019 14:47

According to Courtney, Reading are one of "several" Championship clubs to have offered to take Ejaria for the season ahead as he will not be featuring in Klopp's plans. This will be sorted out after their final vs Tottenham

However,it's doubtful that Lewis Baker will be returning next season due to finance

Hugely disappointed with that

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 24 May 2019 15:27

Good to hear. Hopefully his relationship with Jose helps bring him back for a season. He’s surplus at Liverpool so May prefer a perm deal.

Shame about Baker.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 May 2019 15:54

Happy to have him back. Looked a real talent in the making.

Doubt pool would want a permanent deal at this point as if he plays as well as he did for a full season they can add a couple of million to his asking price.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 May 2019 21:37

Not sure I'd want Ejaria on a perm. Of Gomes' loanees he was the least convincing and consistent, but another loan would be good as we know him and he fits in well at low (hopefully) cost.

No Baker would be unsurprising but a real shame. He was absolute quality. Him Miazga and Martinez would be right up there as my preferred crucial players to target. All important areas (spine of team) where we lack quality. Ejaria, a little less so.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 May 2019 22:31

Agreed. If we were to only get Ejaria of the 6 loanees, I'd be disappointed because he's just a bit...average. He's not as good as Swift at CAM, he's not as good as Barrow or Meite on the wings

But if we were to bring him in with another of the loanees, I'd be happier, he'd be a good player to have in the squad, just not as a regular starter IMO

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 May 2019 22:48

I for one would be absolutely delighted to have Ovie back. He improved considerably during his time here and offers something different. Ejaria > Swift. Fight me x

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 May 2019 23:00

Would certainly take him

But yes, I’d rather have Baker. As anyone pretty much would as he was a class above

Be interesting to see where he goes though. 2 dismal loans before he came to us. Not sure there will be that many takers, and obvs Chelsea paying him a fair whack as well

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 May 2019 23:37

CountryRoyal I for one would be absolutely delighted to have Ovie back. He improved considerably during his time here and offers something different. Ejaria > Swift. Fight me x

Yep agreed.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 May 2019 00:21

Snowflake Royal I think the comment related to Obita making a full recovery which would mean we had four proven Championship quality full backs plus three with first team appearances who all show various degrees of significant promise.

As I said, not up to the standard of Murty and Shorey or Griffin and Harte, but when you look beyond them we had Makin and Cummings plus Mills respectively and not a whole lot else. So the back up quality is better and in greater numbers now.

When was the last time we had seven full backs all with Championship appearances?

Shorey in his early days was constantly caught out of position, made mistakes etc. Far from the finished product.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 May 2019 07:38

Zip
CountryRoyal I for one would be absolutely delighted to have Ovie back. He improved considerably during his time here and offers something different. Ejaria > Swift. Fight me x

Yep agreed.

Another +1 here, I was really impressed with him and would be happy to have him back.

1826 posts