RFC to become the 4th...

East Grinstead Royal

RFC to become the 4th...

by East Grinstead Royal » 07 May 2019 10:43

...oldest club in the League (PL + EFL), following the relegation of Notts County last weekend. Stoke City will become the oldest next season, followed by Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday. Chesterfield's relegation from the EFL a year ago had moved Reading up to 5th (although Chesterfield's claim ignores their liquidation and re-formation early in the 20th century).

Which reminds me that RFC will be 150 years old in 2 seasons' time. I wonder if we will use a "historical kit" as a number of other clubs have done when reaching milestones? Hopefully, more will be done to mark the date than was done 48 years ago when the club pretty much ignored its own centenary and got relegated for the first time in more than 40 years.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RFC to become the 4th...

by Sutekh » 07 May 2019 10:50

East Grinstead Royal ...oldest club in the League (PL + EFL), following the relegation of Notts County last weekend. Stoke City will become the oldest next season, followed by Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday. Chesterfield's relegation from the EFL a year ago had moved Reading up to 5th (although Chesterfield's claim ignores their liquidation and re-formation early in the 20th century).

Which reminds me that RFC will be 150 years old in 2 seasons' time. I wonder if we will use a "historical kit" as a number of other clubs have done when reaching milestones? Hopefully, more will be done to mark the date than was done 48 years ago when the club pretty much ignored its own centenary and got relegated for the first time in more than 40 years.

One hopes it is already on Nigel's radar and something suitable will be done to celebrate. Love to see the standard commemorative books and DVDs but the kit has to be something special.

Seem to recall the 100 year anniversary barely got a mention when it came round so really do need to make up for that.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 May 2019 11:49

Sutekh
East Grinstead Royal ...oldest club in the League (PL + EFL), following the relegation of Notts County last weekend. Stoke City will become the oldest next season, followed by Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday. Chesterfield's relegation from the EFL a year ago had moved Reading up to 5th (although Chesterfield's claim ignores their liquidation and re-formation early in the 20th century).

One hopes it is already on Nigel's radar and something suitable will be done to celebrate. Love to see the standard commemorative books and DVDs but the kit has to be something special.

Seem to recall the 100 year anniversary barely got a mention when it came round so really do need to make up for that.

The 150th year will be the same year as Macron's 50th, so could see something really special. This was mentioned in the press release so I assume it is on their radar.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 May 2019 12:17

Don't Sheff Utd claim lineage from Sheffield FC ?

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 07 May 2019 12:44

Does this cement our position as the League Club with the most FA Cup defeats?

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 07 May 2019 13:20

Nameless Don't Sheff Utd claim lineage from Sheffield FC ?

They can claim lineage in the way that Liverpool can claim lineage from Everton, but they definitely aren't the same club. Sheffield FC still play in level 8.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 May 2019 14:02

I believe the Post Office issued a commemorative first day cover, I'm sure someone in my family has it. The centenary game itself I believe was a home defeat to Gillingham (1-2) in Autumn 1971, during our first season in the 4th tier. There were highlights on Southern TV the following afternoon....be great if it was available but can't see anything on line.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 07 May 2019 14:40

The 150th is definitely on the club’s and STAR’s radar.

To comment on the points above.

Stoke’s claim to be older than us is a bit of a fraud as they went out of business for over a year just before WWI. Elsewhere Forest have been acknowledged as the soon to be oldest League club.

We already hold the record for most unsuccessful attempts at the FA Cup by a now League club. We first entered the same year as Notts but they won it once.

Sheffield and Sheffield U don't share the same lineage.

As mentioned above our centenary was commemorated only by a First Day Cover and the first TV coverage in highlight form of a Reading league game, 1-2 vs Gilingham at Elm Park in Nov ? 1971.

There will be a lot more about the 150th.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 May 2019 14:42

East Grinstead Royal I wonder if we will use a "historical kit" as a number of other clubs have done when reaching milestones?
We have a new kit every season, so might as well.

I guess it will be the first one, but with a Carabao log on the front
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Reading/Reading.htm

Alternatively, they may just opt to use a more traditional Elm tree badge or even design a new one-off badge?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 May 2019 14:43

STAR Liaison We already hold the record for most unsuccessful attempts at the FA Cup by a now League club. We first entered the same year as Notts but they won it once.
Bet they were gutted to lose out on that honour.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 May 2019 14:49

STAR Liaison The 150th is definitely on the club’s and STAR’s radar.

To comment on the points above.

Stoke’s claim to be older than us is a bit of a fraud as they went out of business for over a year just before WWI. Elsewhere Forest have been acknowledged as the soon to be oldest League club.

We already hold the record for most unsuccessful attempts at the FA Cup by a now League club. We first entered the same year as Notts but they won it once.

Sheffield and Sheffield U don't share the same lineage.

As mentioned above our centenary was commemorated only by a First Day Cover and the first TV coverage in highlight form of a Reading league game, 1-2 vs Gilingham at Elm Park in Nov ? 1971.

There will be a lot more about the 150th.

Thanks for the info. Good to hear it is on the radar.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 May 2019 15:30

Forbury Lion
East Grinstead Royal I wonder if we will use a "historical kit" as a number of other clubs have done when reaching milestones?

Alternatively, they may just opt to use a more traditional Elm tree badge or even design a new one-off badge?

Will they do the matching caps as well as the knickerbocker shorts? 50% wool as well no doubt.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 07 May 2019 15:38

Sutekh
Forbury Lion

Will they do the matching caps as well as the knickerbocker shorts? 50% wool as well no doubt.

I'd love that first kit to be used again - we could sing, "We've got more hoops than you" when we play QPR.

Thanks for the replies.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 May 2019 16:22

East Grinstead Royal
Sutekh
Forbury Lion We have a new kit every season, so might as well.

I'd love that first kit to be used again - we could sing, "We've got more hoops than you" when we play QPR.

Thanks for the replies.

For the 150, I want not just the kit, but the team photo to be like the first one. Would be brilliant.

https://twitter.com/ReadingPast/status/ ... 56/photo/1

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 May 2019 17:12

There was a very limited edition of the original kit done a few years ago. I have one and wear it sometimes.....

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 07 May 2019 17:16

muirinho
East Grinstead Royal
Sutekh

Thanks for the replies.

For the 150, I want not just the kit, but the team photo to be like the first one. Would be brilliant.

https://twitter.com/ReadingPast/status/ ... 56/photo/1

What a picture! That would be so good. Makes you wonder what the photographer had said or done about 5 seconds earlier.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 May 2019 22:07

Is “The league” still a thing in this context, why such a cutoff between division 4 and the conference?

Presumably used to be an amateur/professional thing but those lines are blurred now, as are associations running the things following the formation of the premier league.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 May 2019 09:31

Green Is “The league” still a thing in this context, why such a cutoff between division 4 and the conference?

Presumably used to be an amateur/professional thing but those lines are blurred now, as are associations running the things following the formation of the premier league.
Maybe it's a branding thing - "We're the top conference side" may sound better than "We're the top team league 4"....... like the Championship not calling itself Division 2 or League 2 which would be more accurate as it is the second tier.

It does get a bit messy when split out into regions with there being 8 divisions at the 8th tier.

http://www.myfootballfacts.co.uk/englan ... id-system/

If I was a young billionaire, I'd say fcuk buying a Premier League team, I'm going to start a club from scratch and get 10 promotions in a row with the aim of bowing out with the club winning the European Cup. That will be a legacy to remember...... may not happen, but why not give it a go.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 May 2019 09:59

Green Is “The league” still a thing in this context, why such a cutoff between division 4 and the conference?

Though slightly corrupted by the arrival of the Premier League and subsequent renaming of the divisions the Football League is "the league" and everything outside of that is non-league.

Yes it was an amateur/professional thing originally but though that has now changed due to 30 years or so of proper promotion/relegation everyone still treats the top 4 divisions in England as the league

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 09 May 2019 10:12

Forbury Lion

Maybe it's a branding thing - "We're the top conference side" may sound better than "We're the top team league 4"....... like the Championship not calling itself Division 2 or League 2 which would be more accurate as it is the second tier.

It does get a bit messy when split out into regions with there being 8 divisions at the 8th tier.

http://www.myfootballfacts.co.uk/englan ... id-system/

If I was a young billionaire, I'd say fcuk buying a Premier League team, I'm going to start a club from scratch and get 10 promotions in a row with the aim of bowing out with the club winning the European Cup. That will be a legacy to remember...... may not happen, but why not give it a go.

FFP?