Pre season tour

603 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pre season tour

by Hound » 07 Jul 2019 08:36

Yes certainly tempers a lot of the annoyance about giving him away in the first place if true

Talk of 4m being accepted, so 1-1.3 coming our way hopefully

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2019 08:42

Hound Yes certainly tempers a lot of the annoyance about giving him away in the first place if true

Talk of 4m being accepted, so 1-1.3 coming our way hopefully

Just realised I posted this in the wrong thread. Should really be in the next season squad one. But seeing as it is here does anyone remember if Stacey was offered and rejected a contract? I seem to remember that being said at the time.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Jul 2019 10:24

Yes he was, which meant anyone looking to sign him had to agree a compensatory package with us.

Argument to be made that if he'd stayed then we might not have signed Aluko, so not sure it's actually turned out all that well for us!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2019 10:38

SCIAG Yes he was, which meant anyone looking to sign him had to agree a compensatory package with us.

Argument to be made that if he'd stayed then we might not have signed Aluko, so not sure it's actually turned out all that well for us!

ugh. Thats really ruined my mood.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Jul 2019 10:44

Stacey was contracted until 2019. He wanted game time we couldn't offer and believed we had youth of a similar level that was younger coming through (which we are realising now). The deal to sell him was structured by us (I've seen no fee and "5 figure fee" mooted) with a large sell on clause.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2019 11:24

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Hes probably saying it's interesting because he (and many others on here) believes that Watson is surplus to requirements. The captaincy thing could be an indication from Gomes that he sees some value in Watson.

I absolutely loved Tennai in the u18s and 21s.

A lot of people have written him off, which is why, as you otherwise say, it's interesting to see him get captaincy over players who are otherwise more fancied for staying.

You'd have to be a raging imbecile to think I meant he might be a contender for club captain.

I'm sure it was in this very thread that there was a discussion where a few people stated they think its time he moved on. Not having watched much of our non-first team football I was interested to know why as I thought he was developing well and his loan seemed to be going ok (which apparently had fallen by the way side in the second half of the season under Downes)

I agree with you, it is interesting. I trust Gomes right now and if he thinks Watson is showing good development and, more importantly, leadership qualities (something everyone on here should agree we are often lacking) then the competition between him and Howe for first back up can only be a good thing.

In other news Twitter seems to be reporting we can between a 20% and 30% sell on fee clause for Jack Stacey who appears set to move for 4 million. Thats some unexpected funds if true.

I'd rather have Stacey. :cry:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jul 2019 12:15

Stacey has come on leaps and bounds playing as a right back/right wing back. He was never going to get his game here in that position. You wouldn’t have played him ahead of Gunter or Yiadom, based on pretty much zero evidence.

Sometimes players have to move away to get better and if he wanted first team football we shouldn’t be a club that stands in people’s way for wanting that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2019 14:02

Hendo Stacey has come on leaps and bounds playing as a right back/right wing back. He was never going to get his game here in that position. You wouldn’t have played him ahead of Gunter or Yiadom, based on pretty much zero evidence.

Sometimes players have to move away to get better and if he wanted first team football we shouldn’t be a club that stands in people’s way for wanting that.

Sorry, not having that. The season he left we played Bacuna at RB loads and Richard's made 9 starts.

He could easily have got 15 to 20 starts with us that season just at RB and if he performed well we wouldn't necessarily have needed to sign Yiadom.

On top of that, Popa got several games and Aluko was abysmal in about 30 of his 36 starts, so Stacey could easily have got 15 RW starts as well or instead.

And we could have saved £7m on Aluko paid far less in wages and had a highly rated saleable asset on our hands and be clear of FFP problems now.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jul 2019 14:34

23 man squad travelling to Spain includes all 22 men who played yesterday with the exception of Holmes and Smith. In comes Baldock, Odimayo (not sure how it’s spelled) and Obita

Guessing Smith is injured which means Baldock is there

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Jul 2019 15:01

tmesis
Zip
URZZZZ
Did we win any in 17/18 either? I know we didn’t last year but I’m pretty sure there was a lot of pessimism before that season started because of a poor pre season

Seriously mate I absolutely cannot recall any of those friendlies.

There was a rather pathetic defeat at Wimbledon, as I recall..

Defending was extremely poor that day.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2019 15:33

URZZZZ 23 man squad travelling to Spain includes all 22 men who played yesterday with the exception of Holmes and Smith. In comes Baldock, Odimayo (not sure how it’s spelled) and Obita

Surprised at Baldock. Reckon Smith is being loaned out. Holmes back to the U23s due to the imminent arrival of a CB

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jul 2019 16:04

Two other transfer listed players were asked to travel to Spain but declined. Don’t blame them to be honest

Davezk

by Davezk » 07 Jul 2019 16:49

Who refused to travel?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 07 Jul 2019 16:53

Probably David Meyler is one because he is too busy making Fifa videos on youtube.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jul 2019 17:51

Hound
URZZZZ 23 man squad travelling to Spain includes all 22 men who played yesterday with the exception of Holmes and Smith. In comes Baldock, Odimayo (not sure how it’s spelled) and Obita

Surprised at Baldock. Reckon Smith is being loaned out. Holmes back to the U23s due to the imminent arrival of a CB

So much for him signing for Charlton any time soon then.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jul 2019 18:19

Davezk Who refused to travel?

If I was to guess, I’d say Gunter and McCleary, I could imagine they’d be a bit peeved off

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2019 19:02

Snowflake Royal
Hendo Stacey has come on leaps and bounds playing as a right back/right wing back. He was never going to get his game here in that position. You wouldn’t have played him ahead of Gunter or Yiadom, based on pretty much zero evidence.

Sorry, not having that. The season he left we played Bacuna at RB loads and Richard's made 9 starts.

He could easily have got 15 to 20 starts with us that season just at RB and if he performed well we wouldn't necessarily have needed to sign Yiadom.

On top of that, Popa got several games and Aluko was abysmal in about 30 of his 36 starts, so Stacey could easily have got 15 RW starts as well or instead.

And we could have saved £7m on Aluko paid far less in wages and had a highly rated saleable asset on our hands and be clear of FFP problems now.

Lucky football clubs aren’t run on 15 levels of speculation !
It’s worked out well all round.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2019 19:38

Nameless
Snowflake Royal

I'm not sure I'd say signing Aluko, losing a talented Academy player, nearly getting relegated twice and being buggered on FFP is working out well for us. Small factor this is in some that.

It's certainly not worked out badly for Stacey.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Jul 2019 20:42

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Sorry, not having that. The season he left we played Bacuna at RB loads and Richard's made 9 starts.

I'm not sure I'd say signing Aluko, losing a talented Academy player, nearly getting relegated twice and being buggered on FFP is working out well for us. Small factor this is in some that.

Yeah, but at the start of that season, we'd just got in the playoffs, were investing heavily in the squad and he would have been looking at being 3rd or 4th choice RW or 2nd or 3rd choice RB. Much like the Antonio situation, you can't say he might have done this or he might have done that or the club fcuked up at the time on the basis of 2 years of hindsight.

His move was driven by a desire for regular first team football and there was absolutely no way we could have guaranteed that.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jul 2019 08:44

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Yeah, but at the start of that season, we'd just got in the playoffs, were investing heavily in the squad and he would have been looking at being 3rd or 4th choice RW or 2nd or 3rd choice RB. Much like the Antonio situation, you can't say he might have done this or he might have done that or the club fcuked up at the time on the basis of 2 years of hindsight.

His move was driven by a desire for regular first team football and there was absolutely no way we could have guaranteed that.

The worst part is that I think he would have been given regular football had he stayed...hindsight and all that

Obita was injured and Blackett was struggling so Gunter had to shift LB. As we had no backup RB, we had to play Bacuna there who was awful there and I think Stacey would have fitted in perfectly there

Or on the wing, Barrow had the left wing cemented. On the right Aluko was contributing very little, McCleary was injured half the time and when he wasn't he was contributing very little, Beerens didn't fancy it any more and Popa was a waster

That doesn't mean however he'd had turned out how he is now had he have stayed. He may not have been ready for regular Championship football at that time and if that was Stam's conclusion at the time, there was probably logic to it

603 posts