Are we screwed?

169 posts
paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Are we screwed?

by paddy20 » 23 Jul 2019 17:18

Snowflake Royal Goalkeeper is at least adequate.
Defence looks good.
Midfield is desperate.
Attack looks solid.
Striker is shallow and weak.

A first choice midfielder and striker will do wonders, though we'll still be in trouble if injuries stack up unless more Academy lads than is reasonable to expect step up.

As is, we're going to really struggle IMO.

The lack of a good striker will mean we will really struggle

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2019 17:40

I think we’ll be fairly comfortable. Confident we’ll get in another midfielder soon enough. Swift/Rino and Ejaria(?) all good champ players. Back 5 and Keeper are mid table+.

Attack could either be fantastic or shit. I’ve no idea. Loader, Nova and Baldock could be superb or could be useless. It’s a gamble but prob no more so than spending 5m on Sam Gallagher. Someone like Jordan Hugill is available and maybe a sensible option if Gomes doesn’t think they are up to it

Meite and Barrow concern me. Blow both hot and cold and we have no cover. Which is where McCleary would have done a job. I’d go for another winger over CF at this point in time, Meite can always go CF if desperate

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jul 2019 18:11

Baldock has made a career of being a reliable, competent hard worker without being a prolific goalscorer. Could work out if others around chip in, but not the answer by himself.

Novakovich and Loader are the ones who could spring a few surprises, but they're a risk.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jul 2019 23:18

Hound I think we’ll be fairly comfortable. Confident we’ll get in another midfielder soon enough. Swift/Rino and Ejaria(?) all good champ players. Back 5 and Keeper are mid table+.

Attack could either be fantastic or shit. I’ve no idea. Loader, Nova and Baldock could be superb or could be useless. It’s a gamble but prob no more so than spending 5m on Sam Gallagher. Someone like Jordan Hugill is available and maybe a sensible option if Gomes doesn’t think they are up to it

Meite and Barrow concern me. Blow both hot and cold and we have no cover. Which is where McCleary would have done a job. I’d go for another winger over CF at this point in time, Meite can always go CF if desperate

Disagree. McCleary was so far past it it was unbelievable, literally stole a living from 2017 to now, with 1 goal scored in that period! No offence intended but honestly finding it hard to believe how people could think he could still do a job. Don’t necessarily agree with the way Gomes has banished the players, but selling McCleary is 100% the correct call IMO

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 24 Jul 2019 01:04

If novakovich is as good as we all want him to be, we're in for a decent season.

If he isn't, we are going to really struggle for goals.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jul 2019 07:23

URZZZZ
Hound I think we’ll be fairly comfortable. Confident we’ll get in another midfielder soon enough. Swift/Rino and Ejaria(?) all good champ players. Back 5 and Keeper are mid table+.

Disagree. McCleary was so far past it it was unbelievable, literally stole a living from 2017 to now, with 1 goal scored in that period! No offence intended but honestly finding it hard to believe how people could think he could still do a job. Don’t necessarily agree with the way Gomes has banished the players, but selling McCleary is 100% the correct call IMO

3rd in the assists stakes last season though.

Clearly still able to do a decent job.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 07:33

I know urzzz wasn’t a fan and fair enough. But I thought he did a reasonable job last year - and as you’ve pointed out got some decent assists

Still offers more than our back up wingers currently I think - though I think that list starts and ends with Josh barrett

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jul 2019 08:27

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

3rd in the assists stakes last season though.

Clearly still able to do a decent job.

Decent job is massively over the mark. We’ve struggled to score now for two successive seasons, aside from one decent scoring run we got under Clement last season, so I think it’s time to explore other options rather than using the tried and tested

When on form McCleary was up there with the best winger in the league. Unfortunately his injuries curtailed that and he lost a lot of his pace, and he’s been a passenger for two and a bit seasons now. Would rather have kept Harriott in all honesty

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jul 2019 08:29

Hound I know urzzz wasn’t a fan and fair enough. But I thought he did a reasonable job last year - and as you’ve pointed out got some decent assists

Still offers more than our back up wingers currently I think - though I think that list starts and ends with Josh barrett

Would add Richards to that
Possibly Frost - not sure how much Gomes fancies him
Holsgrove played a bit there in pre season
But I agree with the concept that a winger is needed

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jul 2019 08:31

Have to agree - McCleary has been great for us but this is absolutely the right time for the club and him to part ways. Could still do a job in L1 but not really an option we want to be counting on going forward - would rather we use a young player out wide if needed.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2019 08:36

McCleary can still do a job in the Championship, to say he is now suddenly League 1 standard is a bit far IMO. He just needs regular 1st team football and he will be fine. A club like Charlton could do with someone like McCleary, vast experience that will only help their young squad.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 08:50

I'd say he is still L1 level. Which really equates to being a back up winger in the champ

Its not ideal, but considering he is under contract, and our current situation, I'd personally have kept him on. Wouldn't want him to be starting every week by any means

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jul 2019 11:47

Hound I'd say he is still L1 level. Which really equates to being a back up winger in the champ

Its not ideal, but considering he is under contract, and our current situation, I'd personally have kept him on. Wouldn't want him to be starting every week by any means

It's right to try to move him on as he'll be one of our higher earners. But if we can't, we'd be mad not to use him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 11:50

Snowflake Royal
Hound I'd say he is still L1 level. Which really equates to being a back up winger in the champ

It's right to try to move him on as he'll be one of our higher earners. But if we can't, we'd be mad not to use him.

yeah that pretty much

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Jul 2019 12:04

If he is off the books then great but if not only back up is also great - but an expensive back up.
I would say McCleary knows that as a club we need him off the books and probably understands his and Readings financial position.
He is a model pro, would not sulk or be disruptive regardless of his position and always be prepared to play. Same can be said of Gunter.

I am not sure that can be said of Meyler or McNulty. I haven't heard that they are disruptive but they sure dont look willing to knuckle down and force themselves into the 1st team set up.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 24 Jul 2019 12:18

URZZZZ

I'm not so sure he did actually banish them. It was probably more a case of he told them the score, the club can't afford to keep them so instead of coming on tour, they can stay home, train and dedicate the rest of their time to finding a new club.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2019 12:58

Surprised McLeary has not dropped back to play fullback. Still several years in him if he played there, although not for us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jul 2019 13:22

Nameless Surprised McLeary has not dropped back to play fullback. Still several years in him if he played there, although not for us.

He wasn't great at it when he's done it in the past because he doesn't like it. He wants to get forward too much.

He's good enough to do damage at L1 as a winger and not a bad option as back up for Championship.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2019 13:36

Snowflake Royal
Nameless Surprised McLeary has not dropped back to play fullback. Still several years in him if he played there, although not for us.

He wasn't great at it when he's done it in the past because he doesn't like it. He wants to get forward too much.

He's good enough to do damage at L1 as a winger and not a bad option as back up for Championship.

Did a pretty good job when I saw him play there to be honest. He’s clearly not really a good back up option for the Championship given that’swhat He’s been for a couple of years with diminishing impact. His acceleration has gone and he doesn’t have the tricks Little had which meant he could be effective and slow.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jul 2019 13:38

Nameless
Snowflake Royal

Did a pretty good job when I saw him play there to be honest. He’s clearly not really a good back up option for the Championship given that’swhat He’s been for a couple of years with diminishing impact. His acceleration has gone and he doesn’t have the tricks Little had which meant he could be effective and slow.

Yes he struggles to get away from a player and his finishing is gone. But he still created 3 goals in a small run of games.

Barrow would be getting hailed by some for that.

169 posts