Are we screwed?

169 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Are we screwed?

by RoyalBlue » 07 Aug 2019 10:00

WestYorksRoyal Right, time to say it. I'm really concerned by this Puscas rumour that looks true. Yesterday's business looked rational, but this just looks like tipping point.

Rafael was a free and Pele was a loan, so they are sensible. The club may still be hoping to move on a couple of high earners, in particular Gunter, but overall I understand how they don't screw us. Joao's fee was supposedly financed by the Hector sell on fee and structured to ensure a greater expense hit our account next year, after the £20m loss goes off our FFP calculation.

I don't know what Howe et. al know, but given everything we've heard this summer, I simply don't understand how that leaves room to smash our transfer record, however we structure it. If we funnel the expense into future years, it's a short term fix; not a long term solution.

My worry is that this has come from the owners, who do occasionally get involved and are ambitious. I like our owners overall; Bearwood is a great development and the free away travel is a fantastic gesture. But they don't know the English game like Howe, who presided over such a successful era.

I also don't see a clear need for Puscas. We are well stocked in attacking positions now, and I want a chance for Loader, Olise and Barrett to push on this season. Puscas pushes that door shut a little more. The 3 other signings seemed to fill a clear need in the squad; this doesn't.

I share the desire to the Premier League again, but it doesn't have to be this session. We need to develop the foundations of the squad, and add a few key acquisitions year on year until our team is awesome, as in 2006.

Maybe it's suspicion through experience. In SJMs era, we dreamed of weeks like this and they never happened. But we consistently played good football and were in the promotion mix. Since that era ended, which I view as triggered by the disastrous Pogrebnyak signing, we've lost that. Our recruitment has not had any sort of strategy and it's resulted in dross.

That last bit absolutely could not be said about our recruitment in the last winter transfer window!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Aug 2019 10:01

Hefty cheque come in for new stadium naming rights, that’s what has done it ;-)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Aug 2019 10:04

windermereROYAL
paddy20 Just as we thought we were getting to grips with FFP everything seems to have been turned on its head. Will Howe enlighten us or are we just going for points and accepting a 9 pt deduction as inevitable anyway so lets make it worthwhile.

9 points is not carved in stone, could be more if the league deem we`ve done it purposely.

And which club to date really hasn't done it purposely? You don't sign players accidentally even if you accidentally sign crap players!

QPR's 'punishment' was absolutely laughable. If anything it helped them with the order that loans be written off! There again we are Reading so would probably get by far the harshest punishment in league history for being a horrible middle class plastic club!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Aug 2019 10:19

Nameless
paddy20 Just as we thought we were getting to grips with FFP everything seems to have been turned on its head. Will Howe enlighten us or are we just going for points and accepting a 9 pt deduction as inevitable anyway so lets make it worthwhile.

Luckily Howe understands the situation so we can ignore the concerns of fans who don’t understand FFP, don’t understand our finances, don’t understand how deals are put together and don’t understand our long term plans.
We need to go back to just watching the football because for most of us (myself at the head of the queue) the detail,of the finances is always going to be opaque so we may as well let the peop,e in charge deal with it.
You either trust Nigel Howe to get it right or not and either way there is nothing we can do about it

'greed 100%

biff

by biff » 07 Aug 2019 11:53

These deals will all be amortised over the course of the contracts. We don't know how they're structured, but with the wages we've shifted for this season, it's perfectly plausible we've enough headroom to put a down payment on the players we've paid out for.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2019 11:55

biff These deals will all be amortised over the course of the contracts. We don't know how they're structured, but with the wages we've shifted for this season, it's perfectly plausible we've enough headroom to put a down payment on the players we've paid out for.

Although we’ve got to pay the new players wages as well. We’re not Boris Johnson, we can’t spend the same money on lot’s of different things things !

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 07 Aug 2019 11:58

Sorry if this has been discussed/mentioned before but does anyone know where we are in the three year FFP cycle? Is this current player recruitment because June was the end of year three in the last cycle or are we now in year three?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Aug 2019 12:02

windermereROYAL With only 9 weeks to go yes obviously.

You were right. I panicked too early. My bad.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2019 12:05

Tilehurstsouthbank Sorry if this has been discussed/mentioned before but does anyone know where we are in the three year FFP cycle? Is this current player recruitment because June was the end of year three in the last cycle or are we now in year three?

It’s a rolling cycle. We are currently in year 1,2 and 3 of 3 different cycles.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 07 Aug 2019 12:48

Nameless
Tilehurstsouthbank Sorry if this has been discussed/mentioned before but does anyone know where we are in the three year FFP cycle? Is this current player recruitment because June was the end of year three in the last cycle or are we now in year three?

So clear as mud then? :lol:

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 07 Aug 2019 14:24

Tilehurstsouthbank
Nameless

So clear as mud then? :lol:

Clear as crystal.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 07 Aug 2019 14:58

Silver Fox
Nameless

Luckily Howe understands the situation so we can ignore the concerns of fans who don’t understand FFP, don’t understand our finances, don’t understand how deals are put together and don’t understand our long term plans.
We need to go back to just watching the football because for most of us (myself at the head of the queue) the detail,of the finances is always going to be opaque so we may as well let the peop,e in charge deal with it.
You either trust Nigel Howe to get it right or not and either way there is nothing we can do about it

'greed 100%

Completely agree we can't do anything , lets just enjoy the ride!

I can understand the sentiment of those worrying about the future though! Do fans have short memories? Who was the CEO when we ended up having to sell Le Fondre to avoid going into administration to stave off HMRC ?

"Don’t you worry, dad will give me a cheque" Got him in a mess before - what difference is "no problem we will sell a shopping mall"
https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... we-8672890

Don't get me wrong I'm much more confident in the underlying wealth of the Dais. But to trust Howe is surely forgetting he was a "yes man" to Madejski, he borrowed at huge interest rates for Zingarevich , he sold the car park to the Thais - but this time we don't need to worry about 10m here or there because Nigel is at the wheel?! :shock:

We can't do anything about it - and want to just focus on the football. But we will still be there at Wycombe away if the next time is in administration in League 1, like Bolton.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Aug 2019 15:21

its a rolling total, so youre always in the last year

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 07 Aug 2019 16:16

Maneki Neko

Cheers. So getting the figure down is all about financial prudence in the long term. I trust Howe in this respect a lot more than Gormless. :roll:

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Aug 2019 16:53

paultheroyal Hefty cheque come in for new stadium naming rights, that’s what has done it ;-)

:D on the wind up or is this serious?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2019 17:04

Tilehurstsouthbank
Maneki Neko

Cheers. So getting the figure down is all about financial prudence in the long term. I trust Howe in this respect a lot more than Gormless. :roll:

That is the entire point of FFP. Supposedly it stops owners running up short term debt then running away and leaving some9ne elseto sort out the mess. It tries to make clubs live within their means although unfortunately means genuine owners wishing to invest large amount in the club have barriers to actually doing that.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 08 Aug 2019 18:26

Owners with real money to match their ambition.
A manager who wants to play attractive attacking football.
A club attracting decent players
A CEO we all trust and who can manage FFP
New state of the art training facilities.
A fan base back onside.
A core of emerging academy players

.... And we have a plan.

I don’t think we’re screwed, not yet anyway

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Aug 2019 18:38

Oilroyal Owners with real money to match their ambition.
A fan base back onside.

.... And we have a plan.

.....And once we lose on Saturday we will all be miserable again.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Aug 2019 20:57

Zip
A fan base back onside.

.... And we have a plan.

.....And once we lose on Saturday we will all be miserable again.

Perming the available players into a team is going to take time.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Aug 2019 21:20

A fan base back onside.

.... And we have a plan.

Just need a few results on the terraces to put the cherry on top

169 posts