Are we screwed?

169 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Are we screwed?

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2019 14:50

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal He wasn't great at it when he's done it in the past because he doesn't like it. He wants to get forward too much.

He's good enough to do damage at L1 as a winger and not a bad option as back up for Championship.

Did a pretty good job when I saw him play there to be honest. He’s clearly not really a good back up option for the Championship given that’swhat He’s been for a couple of years with diminishing impact. His acceleration has gone and he doesn’t have the tricks Little had which meant he could be effective and slow.

Yes he struggles to get away from a player and his finishing is gone. But he still created 3 goals in a small run of games.

Barrow would be getting hailed by some for that.

At least one of those had nothing to do with being a winger, can’t recall the other 2.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 30 Jul 2019 08:31

Our illustrious owners haven't paid the wage bill at their Belgian club for 5 months.

Keep hearing about how much money they have, but I just don't see it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2019 08:56

yeah something weird going on over there. Released 15 or so players without any replacements

Tevreden gone as well

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 30 Jul 2019 09:37

Hound yeah something weird going on over there. Released 15 or so players without any replacements

Tevreden gone as well

Can't imagine the wage bill is too high and would have thought that if they were trying to sell, they'd at lease keep it saleable.

It paints a worrying picture.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Jul 2019 09:38

StellaPlease

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/bearwood-park--first-football-played-at-state-of-the-art-new-training-facility/

:?

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 30 Jul 2019 09:41

Hendo
StellaPlease

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/bearwood-park--first-football-played-at-state-of-the-art-new-training-facility/

:?

Ok, fair enough :lol:

But still,to let a club practically 'die' does t day much for their character.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 30 Jul 2019 10:13

Brazilian businessman poised to take them over. Still, doesn't fill me with confidence at all.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jul 2019 11:00

2 world wars, 1 world cup Not a negative post, a genuine question as I've been out the loop since the end of the season. I'm hoping I can be reassured.

Now we've lost the loan players are we not going to be in trouble? It doesn't look like any of them are staying permanently or for repeat loans. On top of that we're possibly losing Barrow/Loader etc.

Part of me was thinking we would buy Oliveira, Martinez and Baker or Ejaria but that's clearly not happening.

So we're going to be even worse off than before the loanees arrived because of our financial situation.

All of this spells big trouble. Am I the only one who's getting a bit worried?

Checking back in on my original post.

Losing loan signings

We lost Martinez but have another chap who presumably must be not bad.

We did actually get Miazga back - brilliant!

Possibly losing Barrow/Loader

Not losing either. Possibly more importantly not losing Meite or Moore either, thank God.

-

I'm actually quite optimistic now and genuinely really look forward to watching the guys. I feel like I have my Reading back.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Jul 2019 11:28

2 world wars, 1 world cup We lost Martinez but have another chap who presumably must be not bad.

Don't presume - the new 'chap' is total dogshit.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jul 2019 11:29

StellaPlease Our illustrious owners haven't paid the wage bill at their Belgian club for 5 months.

Out of interest what is it you don’t see ?
They are extremely wealthy. However that is them, not any of the clubs they own. If they choose not to fund clubs out of their private wealth that is their choice. You can also gripe about how they run their businesses butnot sure how you could argue they don’t Have much money !

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 30 Jul 2019 12:42

Having a decent goalie that players trust is so important. It gives the defence a bit more confidence - which means more attacking play in general. Getting one of Martinez' quality was a bit of a fluke though, it's unlikely that anyone we could get in would start performing instantly like him.

I'm still worried about left-back - Obita hasn't played a minute of pre-season right? I said 2 seasons ago that we need to bite the bullet and spend money replacing him. I would have personally chosen that over bringing Miazga back.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 30 Jul 2019 12:50

I think Goalie real concern.
I had Walker in to start-but looks like once again hes blotted his copybook (remember West Brom away howler ).Virginia never started a league game ?

Defence looks good. Hopefully Tyler is fit. If not Yiadom will move across and Morrison play RB.

Midfield: Of concern ? Baker was absolutely integral to our system last season and I think we should have moved mountains to get him back. Huge question mark against Adams. If we are to survive; we will need a fit , full season from him.Maybe we can get Baker again in Jan ?

Wingers: Meite is an asset out wide-bull in a china shop , Olise looks very promising & Barrow, well if the motivation is there can cause problems.

Strikers: We look light. Nova is unproven and I am unsure where Danny fits in.Against this Baldock has the proven track record at this level.

My guess is we will end up more or less, where we were over the last two seasons.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jul 2019 13:02

Westwood52 I think Goalie real concern.
I had Walker in to start-but looks like once again hes blotted his copybook (remember West Brom away howler ).Virginia never started a league game ?

Defence looks good. Hopefully Tyler is fit. If not Yiadom will move across and Morrison play RB.

Midfield: Of concern ? Baker was absolutely integral to our system last season and I think we should have moved mountains to get him back. Huge question mark against Adams. If we are to survive; we will need a fit , full season from him.Maybe we can get Baker again in Jan ?

Wingers: Meite is an asset out wide-bull in a china shop , Olise looks very promising & Barrow, well if the motivation is there can cause problems.

Strikers: We look light. Nova is unproven and I am unsure where Danny fits in.Against this Baldock has the proven track record at this level.

My guess is we will end up more or less, where we were over the last two seasons.

Can we nip this in the bud now - his name is Charlie Adam - not Adams

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jul 2019 15:11

Stranded

Whatever his name is, he's not going to have the same effect on the Majeski as Simon Osbourne had for us in the 90s.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jul 2019 15:12

John Smith
2 world wars, 1 world cup We lost Martinez but have another chap who presumably must be not bad.

Oh. :(

Although I've read the chat on here and not everyone shares that opinion. I'm (as I'm sure you too are) hoping you're wrong.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jul 2019 15:38

2 world wars, 1 world cup
John Smith

Oh. :(

Although I've read the chat on here and not everyone shares that opinion. I'm (as I'm sure you too are) hoping you're wrong.

So far I’d say it’s no worse than ‘unproven’. While Martinez was immediately impressive Joao isn’t, but he’s not done much wrong. He may settle and prove to be a good keeper, we’ve not had a chance to see what he is like at reflex saves or one on ones.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 30 Jul 2019 16:21

Stranded

Whatever his name is, he's not going to have the same effect on the Majeski as Simon Osbourne had for us in the 90s.

Super Si only played one season for us iirc. Left way before we moved to the Mad Stad.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Jul 2019 16:24

Tilehurstsouthbank
Stranded

Super Si only played one season for us iirc. Left way before we moved to the Mad Stad.

And today's prize for missing the point goes to …...

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jul 2019 17:46

Franchise FC
Tilehurstsouthbank

And today's prize for missing the point goes to …...

:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2019 18:08

Stranded

Given people still call McCleary, McLeary... it seems unlikely.

169 posts