Jaoo Virginia, mountain mama
Take us home, country roads"?

Or

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B13QoA59tA4

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Joao Virginia

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jul 2019 09:22

Can't help but feel this is pretty risky, and disappointed we've released two of our own promising young keepers to bring in someone else's for a year.

But, Gomes has done well so far, so this kid must really have something about him, in which case it could prove a great move.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Jul 2019 09:34

Sutekh
NewCorkSeth
Snowball at least a song will be easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrEljMfXYo

"Country roads, take us home
To the league, we belong
Jaoo Virginia, mountain mama
Take us home, country roads"?

Or

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B13QoA59tA4

Great shout.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jul 2019 13:12

Snowflake Royal Can't help but feel this is pretty risky, and disappointed we've released two of our own promising young keepers to bring in someone else's for a year.

But, Gomes has done well so far, so this kid must really have something about him, in which case it could prove a great move.

Heard lots of encouraging noises about him. Could turn out to be a master stroke - similar to Pickford at Preston a couple of years back. Obvs could fail more like Bond if he is too inexperienced for the champ

Shame about Southwood, Ward and co, but it’s not like Gomes are ignoring our own youth. They clearly just don’t rate them as highly as Virginia, or the potential of Andrésson and CBC. Fair enough really, they see and know far more than we do. But yeah it’s disappointing

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 14 Jul 2019 22:52

Hound
Snowflake Royal Can't help but feel this is pretty risky, and disappointed we've released two of our own promising young keepers to bring in someone else's for a year.

Heard lots of encouraging noises about him. Could turn out to be a master stroke - similar to Pickford at Preston a couple of years back. Obvs could fail more like Bond if he is too inexperienced for the champ

Shame about Southwood, Ward and co, but it’s not like Gomes are ignoring our own youth. They clearly just don’t rate them as highly as Virginia, or the potential of Andrésson and CBC. Fair enough really, they see and know far more than we do. But yeah it’s disappointing

Was also thinking that I hope he doesn’t turn into our next Jonathan Bond

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jul 2019 08:16

3points
Hound

Was also thinking that I hope he doesn’t turn into our next Jonathan Bond

Bond’s case is different in the sense he’d already had some first team experience before joining us, whereas Virginia is being thrown in the deep end

It’s obviously a massive risk but a good indication of how good a player is the reaction from the parent club and their fans, and they seem to think he has huge potential so I’m optimistic

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2019 08:22

One game an all, but the back up keepers did pretty well against Sevilla, both pulled off some good saves under pressure.

So if he doesn't work out there is some degree of decent back up there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jul 2019 08:25

Happy enough with Walker as a back up. He did ok for us bar one game really last year

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jul 2019 08:28

Hound Happy enough with Walker as a back up. He did ok for us bar one game really last year

Yep, Walker is more than capable at this level especially as back up - probably not as you absolute no 1 but wouldn't be paniced to see him in the team on 3rd August - he had one mare at WBA and seems to be stuck with a reputation as not good enough. The fact we seem to be letting a lot of the younger keepers go, suggests the coaching staff are happy with him and Virginia being the main keepers with probable Andresson as 3rd choice.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jul 2019 09:03

Also possibly that he is fairly cheap hopefully, as he didn’t really join as a #1

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 15 Jul 2019 12:44

I liked Jakkola. Thought he was a very dependable back-up keeper, and better than Walker imho. I agree though that Walker is likely to be a very low cost given he was out of contract at Colchester. Wouldn't expect he's on much more than £4-5k per week and clearly bought in to challenge Jakkola as No 1 last season as we thought Mannone would have moved on last summer (which of course he didn't)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jul 2019 12:47

guessing they were fairly interchangeable - difference being Anssi was ooc so easy to get rid of

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Jul 2019 15:57

Anssi was also very poor with the ball at his feet. I can't really remember what Walker was like, which says to me he wasn't as bad, at the very least.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2019 17:42

Jaakkola was actually plenty good enough under Clement, he just falls apart when asked play out. So given that's how Gomes plays and he was ooc that was an obvious decision.

Not sure I fancy Walker playing out either but he might be able to cope if not be comfortable.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jul 2019 06:28

I too was quite looking forward to seeing one of our younger keepers have a go but considering we hadn’t really seen them it was a big leap of faith. Let’s not forget that the highest rated of the two, whilst was popular and seemingly garnered good reviews, did so at a non league club. As much as I would have liked to see one of our own given a shot it’s not a huge stretch to believe those that saw enough just didn’t think he’d make the grade.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 17 Jul 2019 17:51

Hey Joao Virginia
Being a backup sounds quite shitty
Reading needs a starting keeper
WIth that hair you look so pretty
Yes, you do
Jose Gomes is Portuguese too
I swear, it's true

Oh, it's all for RFC
Oh, it's all for RFC
Oh, it's all for RFC
Oh, it's all for RFC
It's all for RFC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlPzrX8u0A

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Jul 2019 10:26

Alright then, seeing as everyone is too scared to say it I will. Clearly not good enough, as expected. No experience, no composure, completely the wrong decision to give him the number one spot at a Championship club. We aren't in League 2 where players can just use us for experience. As for Sam Walker's 'display' in the second half, I don't think I've seen a worse performance since one of the many Al Habsi flap-fests. Gomes needs to wake up and get a proper keeper in this week and stop messing around.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2019 10:42

John Smith Alright then, seeing as everyone is too scared to say it I will. Clearly not good enough, as expected. No experience, no composure, completely the wrong decision to give him the number one spot at a Championship club. We aren't in League 2 where players can just use us for experience. As for Sam Walker's 'display' in the second half, I don't think I've seen a worse performance since one of the many Al Habsi flap-fests. Gomes needs to wake up and get a proper keeper in this week and stop messing around.

In the other friendlies, was Virgina slated for weakness?

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 29 Jul 2019 17:58

Snowball
John Smith Alright then, seeing as everyone is too scared to say it I will. Clearly not good enough, as expected. No experience, no composure, completely the wrong decision to give him the number one spot at a Championship club. We aren't in League 2 where players can just use us for experience. As for Sam Walker's 'display' in the second half, I don't think I've seen a worse performance since one of the many Al Habsi flap-fests. Gomes needs to wake up and get a proper keeper in this week and stop messing around.

In the other friendlies, was Virgina slated for weakness?

Odd to agree with the beer, but against Posh he really did not look convincing. I wrote it off to the day, but yesterday, again? We’re just a bit spoilt by the big Argentinian’s skills last half-season. Agree if either Walker or Virginia are to be no 1, miraculous improvement or 8 at the back are the only prospects of not conceding again and again and again and...

124 posts