Don’t forget we still need to offload
Aluko and Mannone as well!!!!!!!

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Bod to Millwall.

by linkenholtroyal » 12 Jul 2019 14:47

Clockwatcher Don’t forget we still need to offload

I believe that from various sources they both have obligations in there loans for them to be signed permanently by both clubs. I dont know if this is appearance based or just an obligation. all that matters is that we are not paying all there wages atm

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 12 Jul 2019 15:49

John Madejski's Wallet Real shame this.

A previous posters have said. Criminally underused by Stam and his injury co-incided with a bad run. Never really had a chance since (partly due to injuries)

Great for both for both parties as Millwall absolutely play to his strengths.

Wish him well

Actually was thinking the opposite, he is not good in the air for a big player (where the ball spends most of its time at Millwall) and his hold up play is generally poor ....yes he'll run all day but in all honesty he could have found a better club.

Seems a top bloke though so really hope it works out for him.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Jul 2019 17:08

Clockwatcher Don’t forget we still need to offload

Jesus!!! I still struggle to believe Aluko is a Reading player.
Wonder how long he has left on his contract?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Jul 2019 17:10

John Madejski's Wallet A previous posters have said. Criminally underused by Stam.

And his 3 other managers here?

He had disappointed at Wolves, and Stam gave him a chance here.

In 2017, he started 1st game of season (for a playoff team) and got injured. Was essentially hampered by injury Aug thru Nov, but still played in 27 of 37 total games under Stam.
In actuality, he was unavailable for 7 of those 37 directly thru injury, basically missing Aug and Oct.
So, he played in 27 of the 30 Champ games he was available to Stam. (Also played in FA Cup 3rd Rd scoring hattrick)

Coming back from serious injury, played mostly as sub in Dec, which is basically the only time frame that I could criticize really. Again, unsure if he was completely fit, so maybe they were easing him back slowly.
Once fully fit, etc, starting in Jan, in Stam's last 10 games, he played 90, 90, 90, 63, 90, 90, 17, 90, 83 mins.

He played 90 mins only once in 8 games in Clement's first season.
In Clement's 2nd season he only played 90 mins 4 times in the 12 games he was available.
The 8 other games read: 75, 17, 81, not in squad, 5, 21, 63, and 26 mins.

He played 11 and 5 mins in 2 games under interim manager.

Gomes only played him in 7 games, and they read: 8, 29, 82, 63, 11, 1, and 45 mins

He may well be a good bloke, although I never met him myself.
Not sure I want him to do well for Millwall as they are opponent/rival in our div. Would be better for us if he flops.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 12 Jul 2019 17:39

Denver Royal
John Madejski's Wallet A previous posters have said. Criminally underused by Stam.

In 2017, he started 1st game of season (for a playoff team) and got injured. Was essentially hampered by injury Aug thru Nov, but still played in 27 of 37 total games under Stam.
In actuality, he was unavailable for 7 of those 37 directly thru injury, basically missing Aug and Oct.
So, he played in 27 of the 30 Champ games he was available to Stam. (Also played in FA Cup 3rd Rd scoring hattrick)

Coming back from serious injury, played mostly as sub in Dec, which is basically the only time frame that I could criticize really. Again, unsure if he was completely fit, so maybe they were easing him back slowly.
Once fully fit, etc, starting in Jan, in Stam's last 10 games, he played 90, 90, 90, 63, 90, 90, 17, 90, 83 mins.

Exactly. So, saying he was criminally underused by Stam is total rubbish then. But of course, Stam is the current scapegoat manager, so I'm sure it's still his fault somehow.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 12 Jul 2019 17:42

Mid Sussex Royal

A previous posters have said. Criminally underused by Stam and his injury co-incided with a bad run. Never really had a chance since (partly due to injuries)

Wish him well

Actually was thinking the opposite, he is not good in the air for a big player (where the ball spends most of its time at Millwall) and his hold up play is generally poor ....yes he'll run all day but in all honesty he could have found a better club.

Yes I think he falls into the Peter Crouch category of being big, but actually better with his feet. Won only 37% of aerial duels in his time with us, although 43% of his 44 shots were headers, but only 3 (21%) of his goals were.

I think Nova will be his replacement as a 'sort of' plan B - slightly taller/more aerial presence but a long way from the traditional big lump of a centre forward. For comparison he won 43% of aerial duels last season (albeit in a a mostly inferior league), but only one of his 9 goals came via his head.

It will be interesting to see if that changes with Millwall's more direct style. I echo the good wishes of others, cant really fault him having come here as a budget striker with poor goal-scoring record thanks to being played out of position at Wolves. A technically limited player who gave his all, and got really unfortunate with injuries just as he hit the best form of his career.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2019 17:50

muirinho
Denver Royal

Exactly. So, saying he was criminally underused by Stam is total rubbish then. But of course, Stam is the current scapegoat manager, so I'm sure it's still his fault somehow.

It’s interesting stats but how many games did he start out of those first 17? We’ve got the minutes played under PC and JG, but I don’t remember him starting as often as he should under Stam, and seem to remember a fair bit of noise about him not playing when we were trying McCleary/Beerens up front. I’ve no doubt he came on when sub a lot as our plan B. I do then remember him becoming first choice later in the season

Happy to be proven completely wrong but I did also have the impression that Stam didn’t play him as much as he should have done

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2019 18:01

Scrap that. Just had a look myself. Seemed like he started in 1 of a spell of 15 games (19th Sept through to 31st Dec). Suspect had he not scored a hatrick on his return to a starting spot he’d have stayed on the bench as well

So think posters are within their rights to suggest Stam under-played him tbh.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Jul 2019 18:10

Mid Sussex Royal

Wish him well

Haven't Millwall also signed Matt Smith?
If that is the case he would probably be the main target man with Bod either playing alongside or out wide.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Jul 2019 18:18

1. Has anyone questioned anybody's rights?
2. I was showing a case could be made that he was under-played by the other 3 managers too).
3. I think he was under-played by Stam in Dec myself, and said so.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 12 Jul 2019 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jul 2019 18:19

Hound Scrap that. Just had a look myself. Seemed like he started in 1 of a spell of 15 games (19th Sept through to 31st Dec). Suspect had he not scored a hatrick on his return to a starting spot he’d have stayed on the bench as well

This is my recollection too. He rarely started under Stam. Even when he did score it wasn’t enough for him to start in the following game.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 12 Jul 2019 18:22

Victor Meldrew
Mid Sussex Royal

Wish him well

Haven't Millwall also signed Matt Smith?
If that is the case he would probably be the main target man with Bod either playing alongside or out wide.

Yeah I'm guessing he'll either play up with Smith or Bradshaw in a 2 or wide in a 3.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2019 18:34

Zip
Hound Scrap that. Just had a look myself. Seemed like he started in 1 of a spell of 15 games (19th Sept through to 31st Dec). Suspect had he not scored a hatrick on his return to a starting spot he’d have stayed on the bench as well

This is my recollection too. He rarely started under Stam. Even when he did score it wasn’t enough for him to start in the following game.

Also bear in mind that last Stam 10 games he scored 7 goals, starting with the hatrick and a vital double against Burton. Stam would have been insane to drop him

And in the first half of the season rather than play Bod, he started without a striker at all - favouring 3 wingers

So it’s perfectly justifiable criticism imo

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2019 18:36

Denver Royal 1. Has anyone questioned anybody's rights?
2. I was showing a case could be made that he was under-played by the other 3 managers too).
3. I think he was under-played by Stam in Dec myself, and said so.

Are you actually responding to me??

It’s a start I suppose :wink:

As it happens I was more interested in muirinhos ‘total rubbish’ comment

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Jul 2019 18:40

Zip This is my recollection too. Even when he did score it wasn’t enough for him to start in the following game.

Scored in 7 games for Stam, and started the next game 4 times.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jul 2019 18:44

Hound
Zip

Also bear in mind that last Stam 10 games he scored 7 goals, starting with the hatrick and a vital double against Burton. Stam would have been insane to drop him

And in the first half of the season rather than play Bod, he started without a striker at all - favouring 3 wingers

I was going to say this. I recall both GMac and Beerens being played up front on separate occasions but was Bod injured at the time?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jul 2019 18:48

Denver Royal
Zip This is my recollection too. Even when he did score it wasn’t enough for him to start in the following game.

Scored in 7 games for Stam, and started the next game 4 times.

My memory is good. I recalled him scoring against Hull late on in the game Obita was badly injured at the end. Next game v Millwall he was on the bench.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jul 2019 18:50

Zip
Hound
Zip

I was going to say this. I recall both GMac and Beerens being played up front on separate occasions but was Bod injured at the time?

This is how I remembered it. Bod started against Bristol, when everyone was hyped about the season, just signed Aluko etc...he missed two absolute sitters. Week later he started against Brentford, was really poor and Beerens had one of his best games in a reading shirt when he came on for Bod at half time

So I suppose at that time, it made sense to leave Bod on the bench. But then we played Hull with a “false nine”, with Beerens and McCleary rotating up frint and it was pathetic. Bod came off the bench and scored and that should have been the time to abandon the fluid front three nonsense. But he didn’t and we looked toothless for a few games without a striker (even with him being available)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jul 2019 18:54

URZZZZ
Zip
Hound

This is how I remembered it. Bod started against Bristol, when everyone was hyped about the season, just signed Aluko etc...he missed two absolute sitters. Week later he started against Brentford, was really poor and Beerens had one of his best games in a reading shirt when he came on for Bod at half time

So I suppose at that time, it made sense to leave Bod on the bench. But then we played Hull with a “false nine”, with Beerens and McCleary rotating up frint and it was pathetic. Bod came off the bench and scored and that should have been the time to abandon the fluid front three nonsense. But he didn’t and we looked toothless for a few games without a striker (even with him being available)

Yep that’s my recall. The Bristol City result was a bit of a shock as we missed some sitters and they nicked it. We had already thrown two points away in our first home game against ten men Fulham thanks to Van Den Berg.

It is currently 19 Mar 2024 11:42