CONFIMRED - Michael Morrison

Cape Town Royal

Re: CONFIMRED - Michael Morrison

by Cape Town Royal » 19 Jul 2019 16:12

Hound fine. happy enough with that, experienced champ defender.

Obvs not exactly exciting but will allow us to bring McIntyre and Osho through gradually to take over from him

scored 7 goals last year apparently

Me too... I agree not exactly exciting but we have a track record of doing well with non-exciting signings... Look at the likes of Ingimarsson, Sonko, Gorkss etc.. None were stand out 'Wow' signings but boy did they have an impact. Given the young talent we have, whilst I don't know him that well as a player, his age and experience makes total sense to me.

Owlish52

by Owlish52 » 19 Jul 2019 16:20

Not the MM signing I (and I think most of us) would have preferred, but Matt Miazga seems unlikely to be headed back to Reading, so M Morrison seems a good step forward.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 16:21

Apparently Reading like to pass it round the back, so they’re fecked.

https://www.smallheathalliance.com/read ... sg-2712554

Doesn’t sound like a Jose signing tbf.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 19 Jul 2019 16:22

Solid signing. Experienced player in an area where we need that badly. 2 year contract - he's 31, so that makes sense. I believe Birmingham were only offering him a 1 year extension - so hopefully it's the two years we're giving him, rather than some massive wages, that swayed him towards us.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 16:29

Owlish52 Not the MM signing I (and I think most of us) would have preferred, but Matt Miazga seems unlikely to be headed back to Reading, so M Morrison seems a good step forward.

Miazga was always an enormous long shot. We have to be realistic - we are a club with FFP difficulties who are expected to struggle this year. Gomes will know this too and will find a way of using the resources he has.

I think Gomes' ideal style is similar to Stam's, but while Stam was a purist, Gomes is a pragmatist which is what we need now.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 19 Jul 2019 16:31

He will be the Gorkss to Liam Moore's Pearce. Promotion is a done deal

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Jul 2019 16:34

yuomi Club statement is a bit ambiguous on whether Jose played any role in this at all.

What on earth does this mean?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jul 2019 16:38

This signing is absolutely fine. He is a solid and reliable Championship centre half coming here on a free on a two year deal. No problem with this at all.

One87One

by One87One » 19 Jul 2019 16:40

Solid defender, good experience, a leader, wants to help the younger lads come up, scores goes and sticks his head in. Says he’s broken his nose this last couple of seasons and can’t wait to do it for us. Love that.

Birmingham fans are miffed he swapped them for us. Says it all. Happy days.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2019 16:50

NewCorkSeth
WestYorksRoyal
NewCorkSeth Dejavu.

When you don't log on often, it's all about maximising attention your infrequent posts will get.

Fair play. It's working x

It was a beaut, so definitely quality over quantity.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Jul 2019 17:18

CountryRoyal

Looks a solid player, but worried about our lack of height at CB in this division, and was hoping it would be addressed.
For years we've been saying we're vulnerable to high balls in the box. We saw the impact Miazga at 6'4 had, and so I thought we'd take notice and act accordingly (even if it wasn't to be Miazga).
Moore is 6'1 and Morrison is 6'0. Morrison sounds good in the air for his size, but still.
When you give up height with a CB, the trade off can be that the player is good with the ball at his feet, but is he?
Plus, we lost Martinez who came off his line a lot for high balls. Will the new starting keeper be doing this?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2019 17:25

Denver Royal
CountryRoyal

Looks a solid player, but worried about our lack of height at CB in this division, and was hoping it would be addressed.
For years we've been saying we're vulnerable to high balls in the box. We saw the impact Miazga at 6'4 had, and so I thought we'd take notice and act accordingly (even if it wasn't to be Miazga).
Moore is 6'1 and Morrison is 6'0. Morrison sounds good in the air for his size, but still.
When you give up height with a CB, the trade off can be that the player is good with the ball at his feet, but is he?
Plus, we lost Martinez who came off his line a lot for high balls. Will the new starting keeper be doing this?

Meh. I think height can be focused on a little bit too much.

Ilori is 6ft3 but rarely won aerial duels as he didnt go up for them. Moore wins aerial duels because he fights for them. All reports indicate Morrison is a battler and wins his fair share of aerial duels. I mean he scored from 6 corners last season. That's rarely accidental.

I wouldn't worry just yet.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 19 Jul 2019 17:26

A solid signing if nothing else. Won't be the difference between top 10 or 6 but has experiance and is okay. Not overwhelmed or underwhelmed

Just whelmed.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Jul 2019 17:29

I`m well happy with this one.

Kind regards
Mr Grumpypants. :D

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jul 2019 17:31

:lol:

+1

What’s his ‘out-injured’ record?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 19 Jul 2019 17:36

Happy with this. Good attitude, battles, experienced in this division and has a few years of his prime left. Type of player who keeps you in the division and adds depth too. An old school Reading signing which is pleasantly surprising.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2019 17:38

Denver Royal
CountryRoyal

You don't have to be especially tall to be good in the air.

Moore won more headed duals than Miazga per game across the season. And Morrison is 0.1 behind Miazga.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2019 17:38

windermereROYAL I`m well happy with this one.

Kind regards
Mr Grumpypants. :D

:lol:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Jul 2019 17:48

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal
CountryRoyal

I think height can be focused on a little bit too much.

Yeah, unlike past seasons, hoping we won't have to hear about it in 'Back from the game' threads this year :wink:
As I say, sounds like a solid player. Hope it's a great move for us and him.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 19 Jul 2019 17:52

Hopefully more yiadom than meyler