Game 1 of 46 :roll:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Charlie Adam

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Aug 2019 18:57

leon
Snowflake Royal
leon
Not having this Hollywood bollocks. He was trying to play forward passes something the entire team had hitherto failed for the entire game (and last season you could say)

Not having that right back at you. He played loads of straight and diagonal long balls that were shit. We had the man advantage and some time. We needed to not just hoof it straight back to them.

He played 10 long balls. 2 found a Reading shirt (whoscored). Passing accuracy of 65%. Not. Good. Enough.

His first few minutes were spot on when he played ahead of Rino and Swift. Dropped deeper when Swift came off and went to shit.

Compared to what was on before he tried to make a difference. Swift had done nothing - he was trying to make something happen. I remember 2 excellent through balls he played.

That’s more than I remember any other player doing yesterday.

Spot on.
It did nothing for our game when Loader and Barrett (bar the one cross for the goal) spend most of the time when they were on the pitch trying to pass back to the centre-backs and not always succeeding.

This is also a classic example of Ian not being at the game and therefore having no feel for what was going on.
I hope Adam starts and the players alongside and ahead of him find space and then I think he will find them.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Aug 2019 19:02

Ascotexgunner
Denver Royal On the day, 1st appearance, thought Adam did ok-ish.
If you knew nothing previous, judged players on the day and why we lost, think there’d be some different grades.
Moore, Yiadom and Rino were really disappointing. 1st name on teamsheet, player of season types.
But when Adam is attacked personally, and previously, the stall has been set and the die cast. It’s a long way back from there, in this place, and he’d need to have several MOTM performances, and even then I’m not sure.

I thought Adam was brilliant yesterday, showed fire and passion, tried to get the crowd going and was in the refs face as well as Wednesday players. His passing was imaginative and it wasn't for the fact the likes of Barrow couldn't control a bag of cement we may have created more. Would have been my MOTM if he had decked Swift over the free kick. He is younger than say Milner and wondered if he could last ninety minutes....he is after all, only 33.

The only people I've seen "attack him" are those that thought Swift was our best player because of his show pony passes cross field.....which achieved nothing. Couldn't tackle and devoid of ideas when on the ball.

I was referring to some of the disgust/displeasure when we were rumored to be in for him and then when we did actually sign him. Anyway...

I think calling him 'brilliant' yesterday is over-stating it. But I thought it was a decent debut for sure, and hopefully an indication of much more to come.

@72 bus...wrote a good post above about pass completion % and the challenges that await Adam in this side.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2019 19:34

72 bus Pass completion does not tell the whole story, Pass completion is always going to be low if you are playing forward passes into space which your teammates don't have the nous/can't be arsed to get on the end of.
This will be Charlies problem at Reading, a team full of players who refuse to find space and lack the anticipation to get to where the ball is going to end up.

Oh yeah, totally his team mates fault he hit several long balls straight out and several more straight to a Wednesday player.

They're just not on the right wave length :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2019 19:36

Victor Meldrew
leon
Snowflake Royal Not having that right back at you. He played loads of straight and diagonal long balls that were shit. We had the man advantage and some time. We needed to not just hoof it straight back to them.

He played 10 long balls. 2 found a Reading shirt (whoscored). Passing accuracy of 65%. Not. Good. Enough.

His first few minutes were spot on when he played ahead of Rino and Swift. Dropped deeper when Swift came off and went to shit.

Compared to what was on before he tried to make a difference. Swift had done nothing - he was trying to make something happen. I remember 2 excellent through balls he played.

That’s more than I remember any other player doing yesterday.

Spot on.
It did nothing for our game when Loader and Barrett (bar the one cross for the goal) spend most of the time when they were on the pitch trying to pass back to the centre-backs and not always succeeding.

This is also a classic example of Ian not being at the game and therefore having no feel for what was going on.
I hope Adam starts and the players alongside and ahead of him find space and then I think he will find them.

It's a classic example of you talking out your arse seeing as I was at the game.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Aug 2019 19:44

Snowflake Royal
72 bus Pass completion does not tell the whole story, Pass completion is always going to be low if you are playing forward passes into space which your teammates don't have the nous/can't be arsed to get on the end of.
This will be Charlies problem at Reading, a team full of players who refuse to find space and lack the anticipation to get to where the ball is going to end up.

Oh yeah, totally his team mates fault he hit several long balls straight out and several more straight to a Wednesday player.

Passing should always be played with a purpose. For example, when Moore and Miazga pass between each other, it often leaves me frustrated because I always wonder what the purpose of the pass is. Simple to say, but a pass should only be made if it puts the receiver in a better position than the passer

So I do get why people thought Adam was “different” because he played many forward passes, unlike Loader, Barrett etc...and he was doing OK in the 10 role. Unfortunately when he dropped back, many of those forward passes found the advertising boards. It was horrific to watch and I’m not sure why people think “it’s OK because at least he went forward” when very few worked and instead allowed them to time waste and close off the game

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2019 19:50

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

Passing should always be played with a purpose. For example, when Moore and Miazga pass between each other, it often leaves me frustrated because I always wonder what the purpose of the pass is. Simple to say, but a pass should only be made if it puts the receiver in a better position than the passer

So I do get why people thought Adam was “different” because he played many forward passes, unlike Loader, Barrett etc...and he was doing OK in the 10 role. Unfortunately when he dropped back, many of those forward passes found the advertising boards. It was horrific to watch and I’m not sure why people think “it’s OK because at least he went forward” when very few worked and instead allowed them to time waste and close off the game

I mean this is it isn't it. He started out excellent, dropped deeper due to a substitution and then tried to force the killer ball from too deep and too direct too often. And it really didn't work. But yeah he injected a load of nous we didn't have before and looks a decent addition. Just not one who can play 90 minutes and yet another one who looks better placed as a No. 10 in behind a striker we don't have and ahead of a partner for Rino we don't have.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Aug 2019 19:51

A player in Charlie Adam's position, makes, say 20 long passes.

One puts the CF away, who scores, another gives Barrow (say) a 1-on-1 and he wins a pen, which is scored.

Five are dangerous crosses into the box but Meite fails to convert

The rest just evade the onrushing winger or strike, or are intercepted, or go into touch.

A pass completion rate of 2/20 = 10% and yet "Charlie Adam" wins the game for RFC

We looked far, FAR better when he came on. He made a few super passes, one, through the defence to Barrow was magnificent.

He is CLASS

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Aug 2019 19:58

Snowball A player in Charlie Adam's position, makes, say 20 long passes.

One puts the CF away, who scores, another gives Barrow (say) a 1-on-1 and he wins a pen, which is scored.

The rest just evade the onrushing winger or strike, or are intercepted, or go into touch.

A pass completion rate of 2/20 = 10% and yet "Charlie Adam" wins the game for RFC

We looked far, FAR better when he came on. He made a few super passes, one, through the defence to Barrow was magnificent.

He is CLASS

Such a shame we sold Bod. Kind of balls to the front men he could have used.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Aug 2019 20:07

'Players not on same wavelength in 1st game of season' shocker.
He's only played 20-odd mins for us. Good thing we aren't too quick to judge.
Re. players we don't have, not really that shocking either. Gomes can't just print money. It's basically because we didn't sell anyone of note to generate the funds. Yet.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Aug 2019 20:16

Denver Royal 'Players not on same wavelength in 1st game of season' shocker.
Re. players we don't have, not really that shocking either. Gomes can't just print money. It's basically because we didn't sell anyone of note to generate the funds. Yet.

It’s not judging him though. A player of his experience should have the nous to realise his long passes weren’t working. Yet he kept and he kept and he kept trying it

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Aug 2019 20:40

The club have plenty of money and want to spend it apparently. It was mentioned in the Gomez interview for BBCRB. The problem is the FA wouldn't confirm whether we are clear of FFP and are messing us around.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2019 20:42

He is CLASS

This is lovely snowball, but it doesn't remotely resemble what actually happened.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2019 20:44

Ascotexgunner

The club have plenty of money and want to spend it apparently. It was mentioned in the Gomez interview for BBCRB. The problem is the FA wouldn't confirm whether we are clear of FFP and are messing us around.

Given the FL administer FFP, the rules are published and it's based on our own accounts performance and projections. This is clearly not really very true.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 04 Aug 2019 20:47

Ascotexgunner

He is CLASS

Actually think Baldock might make decent runs for Adam. A more intelligent player than Meite and Barrow

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Aug 2019 20:53

3points
Ascotexgunner

He is CLASS

Actually think Baldock might make decent runs for Adam. A more intelligent player than Meite and Barrow

+1

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Aug 2019 20:55

Snowflake Royal

He is CLASS

This is lovely snowball, but it doesn't remotely resemble what actually happened.

Duh! Not remotely the point! What matters is MEANINGFUL passes, like Barrett's for the goal, like Adam to Barrow, like Olise to Barrow for the one-on-one. About 80% of our "successful" passes were meaningless.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 04 Aug 2019 21:03

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner

Given the FL administer FFP, the rules are published and it's based on our own accounts performance and projections. This is clearly not really very true.

Do you really believe Ian that the world operates to 'the rules'?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2019 21:05

Snowball
Snowflake Royal

He is CLASS

Duh! Not remotely the point! What matters is MEANINGFUL passes, like Barrett's for the goal, like Adam to Barrow, like Olise to Barrow for the one-on-one. About 80% of our "successful" passes were meaningless.

Not entirely, because they retained possession. And most of Adam's long balls weren't screwed up by us, they were just flat out poor. They were simply the wrong choice.

Adam 0 key passes
Swift 3
Barrett 2 and an assist
Yiadom 1
Richards 1
Meite 1 and a goal

Adam started well. But the last thing we needed was repeated long balls. And the fact is, none of them actually brought us a goal. They repeatedly lost us possession and helped Weds beat us.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Aug 2019 21:20

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Oh yeah, totally his team mates fault he hit several long balls straight out and several more straight to a Wednesday player.

I mean this is it isn't it. He started out excellent, dropped deeper due to a substitution and then tried to force the killer ball from too deep and too direct too often. And it really didn't work. But yeah he injected a load of nous we didn't have before and looks a decent addition. Just not one who can play 90 minutes and yet another one who looks better placed as a No. 10 in behind a striker we don't have and ahead of a partner for Rino we don't have.

No.

He played several excellent balls. one was to Barrow that cut out the right back and right midfield it was beautiful. I turned to jnr leon II and said that was a great ball.

He also played a lovely disguised ball in midfield to the right that foxed everyone who naturally assumed it was going the other way. Created space and we went in the attack.

This is my point. Yes he played some overly ambitious balls but he did more with ball than anybody else.

People seem to have made their minds up about him and then adjusted the narrative.

356 posts