356 posts
stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Charlie Adam

by stealthpapes » 23 Jul 2019 11:58

checks transfers

:shock:

lol

well, maybe I'll be able to fit in his shirt?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Jul 2019 13:09

This really is a left field signing.
What I don't understand is why , having always played up North or in Scotland, he chooses to end his career down south.
Surely it can only be money, as presumably with Morrison, in the form of wages.
We supposedly paid O'Shea £20,000 per week when there was no transfer fee so maybe this is a similar arrangement.

He was good at Rangers, brilliant at Blackpool and just fair at Liverpool before playing initially under Pulis at Stoke (until there was a fall out).....and we know the style of football Tony advocates (saw him the other day at Sandbanks).

I guess this is a signing where he will try to dictate play from midfield (such as Norwood and Guthrie) with eager younger players putting in the graft around him.
This is a major step up from Meyler but the concern is his lack of playing time in recent years.

With Morrison and Adam we certainly will be a more aggressive side which may not be such a bad thing.
Am not sure where this leaves Swift but we will soon find out with so little time before the first game and the closure of the transfer window.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Jul 2019 13:43

NewCorkSeth I refuse to be positive about this.

Thus making anything further you say on the subject meaningless?

Now that battle lines have been drawn, I have this awful feeling that anything good that Charlie Adam actually does (once he actually gets to kick a ball) will be marginalized all season long. Been there, got the t-shirts, etc.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2019 13:51

Denver Royal

Now that battle lines have been drawn, I have this awful feeling that anything good that Charlie Adam actually does (once he actually gets to kick a ball) will be marginalized all season long. Been there, got the t-shirts, etc.

Only if you deal in absolutism. Just because I wont be positive about it doesn't mean I have to negative.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Jul 2019 14:01

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal

Only if you deal in absolutism. Just because I wont be positive about it doesn't mean I have to negative.

If he plays quite a few games, and plays well, you won't be positive?
I'd imagine you'd be absolutely thrilled, given you have such low expectations at the outset.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 23 Jul 2019 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jul 2019 14:08

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal Thus making anything further you say on the subject meaningless?

Come on Denvers, it's not bloody hard is it.

You can think a signing is bad, without thinking a player is bad and without having to think everything the player does is bad.

You know, a little like it was widely considered Gomes was a poor appointment, but when he delivered the goods people were happy with him.

A bad signing doesn't necessarily mean they will be a failure and I don't think (m)any would say otherwise.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2019 14:08

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal Thus making anything further you say on the subject meaningless?

What? That's different. I can't say whether I'll be positive about something in the future. I'm not omniscient.

With hindsight who knows how I'll feel. I'm saying I refuse to be positive NOW. I wont justify by saying "at least it's a 1 year deal" or "maybe his wages are low". Imo it's a bad signing, a continuation of a rotten practise I hoped the new owners would be stopping and uninspiring.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Jul 2019 14:16

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth Only if you deal in absolutism. Just because I wont be positive about it doesn't mean I have to negative.

I can't say whether I'll be positive about something in the future. I'm not omniscient. With hindsight who knows how I'll feel.

I was thinking you'd be absolutely thrilled, given you have such low expectations at the outset.
Anyway, hopefully things work out and he's a useful signing.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 23 Jul 2019 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jul 2019 14:16

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth Only if you deal in absolutism. Just because I wont be positive about it doesn't mean I have to negative.

What? That's different. I can't say whether I'll be positive about something in the future. I'm not omniscient.

With hindsight who knows how I'll feel. I'm saying I refuse to be positive NOW. I wont justify by saying "at least it's a 1 year deal" or "maybe his wages are low". Imo it's a bad signing, a continuation of a rotten practise I hoped the new owners would be stopping and uninspiring.

But what level of whelmed are you?

Virginia - underwhelmed
Morrison - quite whelmed
Adam - extremely underwhelmed

For me. :wink:

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 23 Jul 2019 14:17

With hindsight who knows how I'll feel. I'm saying I refuse to be positive NOW. I wont justify by saying "at least it's a 1 year deal" or "maybe his wages are low".

fine

Imo it's a bad signing, a continuation of a rotten practise I hoped the new owners would be stopping and uninspiring.

not fine
imo

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2019 14:25

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal If he plays quite a few games, and plays well, you won't be positive?

Virginia - underwhelmed
Morrison - quite whelmed

We need a whelmedometer for new signings. Speaking of ometers what ever happened to that AE measurement device that accurately predicted the league with a 100% success rate?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jul 2019 14:32

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth What? That's different. I can't say whether I'll be positive about something in the future. I'm not omniscient.

Virginia - underwhelmed
Morrison - quite whelmed

We need a whelmedometer for new signings. Speaking of ometers what ever happened to that AE measurement device that accurately predicted the league with a 100% success rate?

It is powered by our success unfortunately.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2019 14:40

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal But what level of whelmed are you?

Virginia - underwhelmed
Morrison - quite whelmed

It is powered by our success unfortunately.

Rogueometer! Sorry I just remembered its name.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jul 2019 15:15

NewCorkSeth
Nameless
windermereROYAL Charlie Adam hasn't got a league goal or assist since January 2017. He started nine of Stoke's last 89 league games. Not played 1800 minutes in a league season since leaving Liverpool in 2012.

Matt Miazga hasn't started a game for his own club since 2016.
He's only scored 4 goals since 2013.
He's started 2 of Chelsea's last 150 games (rough estimate !)
Past numbers are interesting but not everything.
We've signed some players that on paper looked awful but who did a good job for us and some who looked like great buys who did nothing.
He starts with a clean sheet, we'll know soon enough whether it's a smart move to get him or a waste of a few quid.
Sometimes a change of club and being made to feel wanted makes a huge difference

Yes, inductive reasoning isnt always correct when analysing footballers. But it is more often correct in older players than younger ones. A better example for you would have been Glenn Murray or James Milner.

Adam has been poor bordering on bad for a few seasons. He may work out here but the "give him a chance" attitude is equally as extreme as the "he will be shit" attitude. All evidence points towards him not being what we need.

Snowflake has pointed this out rather well. He doesn't fit into our apparent transfer strategy.

The idea that he will fill in for other players to give them a rest is also bollocks. O'Shea did that last season and was awful. McIntyre also did a small bit of filling in and was heaps better. I would rather see East fill in as required than Adam.

I never said he would "fill in" but that his presence allows us to manage other players. For example, until Adam arrived then it's pretty clear we were looking at a midfield 3 of Rinohmota, Olise and Swift - not too bad but not a midfield you can see playing 2 or 3 times a week. The signing of Adam means they don't have to, with the bonus that Adam himself doesn't seem to expect to be starting week in, week out. Can understand why people aren't enthralled by the signing but it normally makes sense to detach yourself from the emotional response and try to understand the logic of why a player has been signed.

We are clearly not flush with money and the club (incl. the coaching staff) will have identified Adam as a player, in our budget, who can do a specific job within the squad. How well he does that will only be shown over the next 12 months.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Jul 2019 18:15

I'll call him Adams

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 23 Jul 2019 18:31

PieEater I'll call him Adams

The Academy kids Have been calling him Uncle Charlie all day...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Jul 2019 19:20

morganb
PieEater I'll call him Adams

The Academy kids Have been calling him Uncle Charlie all day...

We seem to have become the Adam Family....

Archer

by Archer » 23 Jul 2019 19:57

Who is in charge of our transfers? It’s not Gomes and most certainly is not Nigel Howe :lol: :lol:

Have we got anyone else involved?

I wonder who :?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Jul 2019 21:31

Archer Who is in charge of our transfers? It’s not Gomes and most certainly is not Nigel Howe :lol: :lol:

I know one guy at the club who is involved in player recruitment. Think it is more in an analyst type role than policy.
Obviously Howe controls the purse strings. Doesn’t look like we have outsourced it to Koorabchian like we did in January though.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 23 Jul 2019 23:11

Nameless
Archer Who is in charge of our transfers? It’s not Gomes and most certainly is not Nigel Howe :lol: :lol:

I know one guy at the club who is involved in player recruitment. Think it is more in an analyst type role than policy.
Obviously Howe controls the purse strings. Doesn’t look like we have outsourced it to Koorabchian like we did in January though.

In my field of employment doing similar to what you mentioned above, analysts just get told what or who to watch and feed back specific numbers. You are correct it is nothing to do with policy. If they (and I know this happens) see somebody with better stats who isn't being tracked by their club, they need to feed this back up the chain and wait for it to come down again And chances are its gone by then.

356 posts