CONFIMRED - Charlie Adam

356 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Charlie Adam

by URZZZZ » 22 Jul 2019 21:13

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth David Meyler, Stephen Quinn, Dave Edwards and now Charlie Adam. Not a single 30+ year old "has premier league experience" has done well for us. This is the epitome of tried, tested, failed.

Harte, Roberts, McShane?

Just realised I didnt put midfielder in there. I was trying to illustrate it wasnt worked out for CM.

Yeah, thought that may be the case, did re read your statement a few times

I always thought Chris Baird was good in the few months he played for us, not sure what happened with him. And think you’re slightly unfair on Quinn who was decent when fit. Jordon Mutch was a good one though :wink:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jul 2019 21:15

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews I will give any new signing a chance, it's the right thing to do but I have so much pessimism towards this one. Seems like the signing of a club desperate for bodies who know a relegation scrap is ahead of them.

David Meyler, Stephen Quinn, Dave Edwards and now Charlie Adam. Not a single 30+ year old "has premier league experience" has done well for us. This is the epitome of tried, tested, failed.

Oh I don't doubt you may well be right on Adam, it's a weird signing and one which I don't welcome but we are stuck with it now, I'll back him until given reason not to. Think he will be another John O'Shea anyway, we will hardly see him in a Reading shirt.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Jul 2019 21:18

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
Harte, Roberts, McShane?

Just realised I didnt put midfielder in there. I was trying to illustrate it wasnt worked out for CM.

Yeah, thought that may be the case, did re read your statement a few times

I always thought Chris Baird was good in the few months he played for us, not sure what happened with him. And think you’re slightly unfair on Quinn who was decent when fit. Jordon Mutch was a good one though :wink:

Think Mutch was under 30 and only on loan so I let him off. Baird was good but didnt he play CB mostly for us?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Jul 2019 21:30

He's not even kicked a ball for us yet, give him a chance.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Jul 2019 21:37

sandman He's not even kicked a ball for us yet, give him a chance.

Would you say the same if we signed Rodwell? Or Gibson?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Jul 2019 21:40

Yes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 21:41

IF he can stay fit, and IF he plays regularly and IF he can return to something like his previous quality and IF we're paying him a low basic, then this is a good signing.

That's too many major ifs for me though, and honestly I think this is as poor a signing as O'Shea was last summer.

The mission statement for this summer was:
Cut the wage bill
Cut the squad size
Fill the main gaps
Use the Academy

I don't see how this fits any of those.

Bringing in aging, injury riddled, ex-stars who can't be expected to start 20 games let alone 40 in our weakest position is madness as far as I'm concerned.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Jul 2019 21:45

sandman Yes.

Well then you have lost grip on the reality of where we are as a club.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 22 Jul 2019 21:47

Snowflake Royal IF he can stay fit, and IF he plays regularly and IF he can return to something like his previous quality and IF we're paying him a low basic, then this is a good signing.

That's too many major ifs for me though, and honestly I think this is as poor a signing as O'Shea was last summer.

Cut the wage bill
Cut the squad size
Fill the main gaps
Use the Academy

Bringing in aging, injury riddled, ex-stars who can't be expected to start 20 games let alone 40 in our weakest position is madness as far as I'm concerned.

its all about experience, and we're lacking that with all the excluded player's,

Was a quite handy player in his day, no idea where he's at now, but then again when Harte signed we were all underwhelmed, yet he was brilliant, so we shouldn't pre judge.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 21:50

El Diablo
Snowflake Royal IF he can stay fit, and IF he plays regularly and IF he can return to something like his previous quality and IF we're paying him a low basic, then this is a good signing.

Cut the wage bill
Cut the squad size
Fill the main gaps
Use the Academy

its all about experience, and we're lacking that with all the excluded player's,

Was a quite handy player in his day, no idea where he's at now, but then again when Harte signed we were all underwhelmed, yet he was brilliant, so we shouldn't pre judge.

Harte came off the back of a good full season, albeit at a lower level iirc. I say again, Adam has started 9 games in two years.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Jul 2019 21:56

Snowflake Royal
El Diablo

Cut the wage bill
Cut the squad size
Fill the main gaps
Use the Academy

Harte came off the back of a good full season, albeit at a lower level iirc. I say again, Adam has started 9 games in two years.

I saw his penalty against Brighton for Stoke in their relegation season. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a professional footballer so slow in my life, makes Meyler look like Bolt in comparison. I don’t want to keep harping on about Kelly but surely he has to be a better option than Adam

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 21:58

Well yeah, in my opinion.

But he's gone.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Charlie Ada

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Jul 2019 22:02

Charlie Adam might be slow physically, but mentally he is light years ahead of Kelly. Adam has great vision for picking a pass and has awareness of the game around him. Kelly was forever getting caught in position because he was just too slow in picking a pass.

On top of that, Adam is excellent at set pieces, and let’s be honest Kelly was pretty crap at those along with most others in our squad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 22:11

Wycombe Royal Charlie Adam might be slow physically, but mentally he is light years ahead of Kelly. Adam has great vision for picking a pass and has awareness of the game around him. Kelly was forever getting caught in position because he was just too slow in picking a pass.

On top of that, Adam is excellent at set pieces, and let’s be honest Kelly was pretty crap at those along with most others in our squad.

FYI, on an objective check, dispossessed per game stats for our midfielders last season:
Ejaria - 1.8
Meyler - 1.8
Swift - 1.6
Bacuna - 1.2
Rinomhota - 0.8
Kelly - 0.7
Baker - 0.6
Ezatolahi - 0.5
Olise ( :shock: ) - 0.3
East - 0

Unsuccessful touches per game:
Swift - 2.2
Ezatolahi - 2
Ejaria - 1.9
Rinomhota - 1.3
Baker - 1.3
Olise - 1.3
Bacuna - 1.2
East - 1
Meyler - 0.8
Kelly - 0.6

It's objectively not true really isn't it Wycombe.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 22 Jul 2019 22:12

Hearing “Reading have signed midfielder...” on the radio got me excited at the prospect of Bostock...what an anti-climax!

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 22 Jul 2019 22:15

One year contract, so not a particularly big risk IMHO. If he can stay vaguly fit and chip in with some goals this could work out okay. I also seem to recall similar negative sentiments being aired when Ian Harte signed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 22:19

That's a pretty quality interview, from a smart, composed and articulate footballer with a good sense of perspective.

:shock:

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 22 Jul 2019 22:20

I'm not a huge fan of him but I think only a year's contract for an experienced head with quality isn't a bad idea tbf. He won't play every game but he'll be a useful option and a good leader for the younger players in the squad.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Jul 2019 22:27

Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal Charlie Adam might be slow physically, but mentally he is light years ahead of Kelly. Adam has great vision for picking a pass and has awareness of the game around him. Kelly was forever getting caught in position because he was just too slow in picking a pass.

FYI, on an objective check, dispossessed per game stats for our midfielders last season:
Ejaria - 1.8
Meyler - 1.8
Swift - 1.6
Bacuna - 1.2
Rinomhota - 0.8
Kelly - 0.7
Baker - 0.6
Ezatolahi - 0.5
Olise ( :shock: ) - 0.3
East - 0

Unsuccessful touches per game:
Swift - 2.2
Ezatolahi - 2
Ejaria - 1.9
Rinomhota - 1.3
Baker - 1.3
Olise - 1.3
Bacuna - 1.2
East - 1
Meyler - 0.8
Kelly - 0.6

It's objectively not true really isn't it Wycombe.

If you went purely on stats Kelly would be first name on the team sheet for central midfield and Rino would be on the bench. But for those that live in the real world and not on FM/FIFA stats we know that is objectively not true.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Jul 2019 22:38

Good player, happy to give him a chance to prove himself. Probably knocks out a canny fireplace too.

356 posts