Where will we finish?

227 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Where will we finish?

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2019 13:02

12th but with a large margin of error +/- 6 places based on how well we start.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2019 13:06

Early days etc etc.

I'm looking for a season of being consistently more comfortably clear of the relegation fight than recently.

Big question Mark's at keeper, midfield and upfront. But I'll go 17th. But a fairly comfortable one where mostly knock about between 14th and 18th and just peter out a little at the end.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 29 Jul 2019 13:32

My thinking on this season has always that's it's one about the development of a squad and how Gomes stamps his mark on the team having had a full close season to work with them.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how the younger players evolve in this team and am hoping that come the end of the season some of them have really begun to stamp their mark on the team. As Rino did last season.

In terms of a finishing position I would settle for the above happening and a lower mid table finish, hopefully finishing the season with some momentum.

It will be interesting if we over achieve early in the season with the younger players excelling what the clubs ambition will be in January. Would they allow that to continue on the basis that we are building towards something or would they gamble and buy in quality and experience, which might be to the detriment of the younger players..

Likewise if we are struggling?

Personally am fascinated to see how this season will go and am certainly more excited about the start of this season than i was the last one, because going into last season, I really thought we would go down.

Here's hoping its a good one!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Jul 2019 13:53

To escape relegation last season we had to ride high in the current form tables so why so many think we can't achieve mid table is beyond me and I doubt it's what Chelsea were thinking when they left the Mad Stad.

We have some fantastic young players and much scope for them to thrive. FFP could unwittingly make for an excellent excellent season and a lot of money in the process. Can't wait!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jul 2019 14:02

14th.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 29 Jul 2019 14:16

Would be happy with current position - 19th.. anything above that = a bonus

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Jul 2019 14:24

Most of would will be happy to be happy sitting lower mid table for most of the season as opposed to sitting in and around the bottom 3 for a nice change, I think we have enough about us to achieve that, I`m going for 16th.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 29 Jul 2019 14:51

Woodcote Royal To escape relegation last season we had to ride high in the current form tables so why so many think we can't achieve mid table is beyond me and I doubt it's what Chelsea were thinking when they left the Mad Stad.

We have some fantastic young players and much scope for them to thrive. FFP could unwittingly make for an excellent excellent season and a lot of money in the process. Can't wait!

I think I am tempering my ambition on where we will finish because (a) the experience of recent seasons (b) where we finished last season and (c) because of the amount of inexperience in the squad...

I have belief in this squad and Gomes, but in my head I do not want to start thinking we are going to fly and then be disappointed with a low mid table finish.. I'd rather aim low and be pleasantly surprised.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jul 2019 15:02

By the way, if we stay up, blood in youngsters and extend Gomes' stay, I'd really back us to push on for 20/21. This is a big season; survive this and medium term looks good.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 29 Jul 2019 15:10

I'm thinking a mid table finish is definitely possible. I know it's a young squad, but there's some real ability in there. I'd say 13th or 14th is more than achievable.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jul 2019 15:14

I'll go with 12th.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Jul 2019 15:45

Automatic.

You read it here first.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 29 Jul 2019 16:13

Snowball I think there are a few as-yet unknowns.

Will the goalkeeping be good enough? The back four look solid with VG cover but it might be hard to keep the four CBs happy

If we get a striker, or one of our current strikers can get a Blackman-Like purple patch, then almost anything is possible.

But really I see this season as one for trying to stay clear of danger while developing our special crop of kids so that NEXT season we could have a real crack. No matter how good Loader WILL BE, he is going to develop a lot over this season and the next. It's hard to imagine he will be anywhere near a 20-goal striker THIS season.

Olise, Barrett etc all look to have great promise, but 46 crunching games, league cup, FA Cup, that's hard.

We actually look like a squad where the manager has tough choices and Gomes will have some sleepless nights.

From what I've seen so far I don't think we'll be in the bottom 4/5, and I doubt we'l make the top six, not so much talent-wise, but in terms of momentum/weight/the grind.

I could see a few 6/7/8 game runs where we look special.

But having said all the above, are we sure Moore is staying? Will we yet lose Loader or Olise? Will Nova go? It will be slightly easier to predict when the transfer window shuts. A cheeky 8-9 million bid for Moore with the money up front, I think we'd have to say yes, resolve FFP and still have Miazga, Morrison, McIntyre... Blackett

If that happened, would we all change our predictions?

Agree with most of that but I think we will mainly struggle for the lack of a goalscorer. If the youngsters don't perform then very close to relegation

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 Jul 2019 17:10

21st , hope I'm wrong

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 29 Jul 2019 17:16

leon Automatic.

You read it here first.

You read it here second!!

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Jul 2019 17:25

Unlucky for some 13th, more to do with the quality of the other teams in the Championship this season. There were a number of awful teams that came to the Madejski last season who got results against us who I expect we will beat this year.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jul 2019 17:27

Some super computer has put us in 22nd :cry:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jul 2019 17:33

I’m going to say 17th on the basis we don’t have a huge amount of goals in this squad and the keeper situation is a concern.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2019 17:47

Woodcote Royal To escape relegation last season we had to ride high in the current form tables so why so many think we can't achieve mid table is beyond me and I doubt it's what Chelsea were thinking when they left the Mad Stad.

4/5ths of the excellent loanees that got us there not coming back might have something to do with it Woodcote

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 29 Jul 2019 17:49

We'll do better than people think.

11th

227 posts