Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour: Lucas Joao

by maffff » 03 Aug 2019 20:15

Nameless
Stranded
windermereROYAL Madness, :shock:

Sam Rourke

@samrourke_

Been told Reading are keen on Sheffield Wednesday striker Lucas Joao, but fee could prove a hurdle in this deal, with the Owls wanting upwards of £5m. An initial loan move is a possibility. #ReadingFC #SWFC

The last sentence is the key there - loan him this season. From 1st July next year the massive 20m loss drops off our FFP, so we pay either the full amount (or first installment) then - makes FFP sense.

In any context does £5 million for him make sense ?

I guess he's pretty young (25), and talented but questions about his mentality for consistency. If he had a 5 year deal it would mean no more than £3m on ffp at any one period and run until he's 30. Or a 4 year deal no more than £3.75m at any one time and run until he's 29. (all plus wages).

Can Gomes / future managers bring that consistency?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2019 09:08

Get him in. A player who can lead the line and hold the ball up intelligently. And score at the Madejski.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 04 Aug 2019 11:04

Snowflake Royal Get him in. A player who can lead the line and hold the ball up intelligently. And score at the Madejski.

Also a player that Wednesday admit can only motivate himself to play one in six.

You really have no idea.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2019 11:33

StellaPlease
Snowflake Royal Get him in. A player who can lead the line and hold the ball up intelligently. And score at the Madejski.

Also a player that Wednesday admit can only motivate himself to play one in six.

You really have no idea.

That's an improvement on 0 in 6

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 06 Aug 2019 00:46

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 06 Aug 2019 01:14

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/footbal ... ing-488450

It is thought the Owls reached an agreement with the Royals over a deal for Joao on Monday and the Portuguese striker will head south to undergo a medical on Tuesday.

I understand that Reading have agreed to pay a substantial fee for the 25-year-old, who joined Wednesday in the summer of 2015 from Nacional.

Joao scored after coming on as a second half substitute in the Owls' 3-1 triumph at Reading last weekend.

Speaking after the Championship tussle, Royals boss José Gomes admitted he is a big fan of Joao.

He said: "I talked with him before the game last season (as well as today). We speak Portuguese and he played in Portugal before.

"He's a good player but he's a Sheffield Wednesday player."

Joao has found the back of the net 28 times in 126 appearances in Owls colours since arriving from Portugese club Nacional.

He featured prominently in the Wednesday side that reached the 2016 Championship play-off final and memorably scored in their superb League Cup victory over Arsenal at Hillsborough.

But he struggled to hold down a regular first-team spot in Carlos Carvalhal's second year at the helm and was farmed out on loan to Blackburn Rovers where he scored three goals in 13 outings.

His form has been inconsistent in the past 24 months, but he still notched 10 goals last year as Wednesday secured a top-half finish. Sixteen of Joao's goals have come from off the bench.

The Owls are keen to reduce the number of forwards on their books before Thursday's transfer deadline, with former boss Steve Bruce having previously described their squad as ‘lopsided’.

Scotland international Jordan Rhodes continues to attract interest from Premier League newcomers Norwich City.

Mostly used off the bench by Wednesday. Considering how many games he’s actually started, his record isn’t too shabby.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Aug 2019 01:44

Baffled if a substantial fee is involved. I hope we are not taking risks regarding FFP.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 06 Aug 2019 01:49

I doubt we would risk it. Our owners would have spent loads if they were disregarding ffp.

More likely scenario - with Wednesday looking to sign Michael Hector - we would essentially be waiving any of the ‘sell on’ money due from Chelsea.

A fine piece of business, if that is the case.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Aug 2019 01:53

royalp-we I doubt we would risk it. Our owners would have spent loads if they were disregarding ffp.

More likely scenario - with Wednesday looking to sign Michael Hector - we would essentially be waiving any of the ‘sell on’ money due from Chelsea.

A fine piece of business, if that is the case.

Yep very good point. Makes sense now

Esteban

by Esteban » 06 Aug 2019 06:20

Wednesday fan at work said he is a good impact sub, but tends to go missing whenever he starts. His goal scoring record seems to support that.

Wouldn't write him off though, Gomes may be able to get the best out of him.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 06:53

Brilliant. A ~1 in 4 striker is exactly what we need. :roll: Gomes is starting to piss me off signing all his mediocre Portuguese mates.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 07:28

Well judging by the reaction from the sheff wed fans on Twitter, They are mighty pissed off he’s going. They say he’s the only talented striker they have, and would rather other forwards such as Rhodes and others went before him. It’s a mixed reaction, but the consistent theme throughout the comments are he has bags and bags of talent.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 06 Aug 2019 08:12

Just what we need through the cold, long winter. A pussy.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2019 08:19

Ask yourself why Sheffield Wednesday would be letting him go to a Championship rival, they don't rate him. Our supporters on Twitter seem to be getting very carried away with this deal, I am extremely pessimistic. That being said I hope he's a huge success here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Aug 2019 08:21

Old Man Andrews Ask yourself why Sheffield Wednesday would be letting him go to a Championship rival, they don't rate him. Our supporters on Twitter seem to be getting very carried away with this deal, I am extremely pessimistic. That being said I hope he's a huge success here.

They also have FFP issues and a lot of strikers. If they can't shift Rhodes for example, they may think they don't have much choice.

We on the other hand have one striker we want and he isn't starting.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 06 Aug 2019 08:23

Old Man Andrews Ask yourself why Sheffield Wednesday would be letting him go to a Championship rival, they don't rate him. Our supporters on Twitter seem to be getting very carried away with this deal, I am extremely pessimistic. That being said I hope he's a huge success here.

Same, unless Gomes thinks the way we play will bring the best out of him.

I trust Howe with the FFP stuff, however if Gomes decides to move on, we could be left with yet another expensive flop. I just hope his wages aren't that high so that we could move him on.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Aug 2019 08:23

WoodleyRoyal Well judging by the reaction from the sheff wed fans on Twitter, They are mighty pissed off he’s going. They say he’s the only talented striker they have, and would rather other forwards such as Rhodes and others went before him. It’s a mixed reaction, but the consistent theme throughout the comments are he has bags and bags of talent.

Note this and agreed

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 06 Aug 2019 08:26

paultheroyal
WoodleyRoyal Well judging by the reaction from the sheff wed fans on Twitter, They are mighty pissed off he’s going. They say he’s the only talented striker they have, and would rather other forwards such as Rhodes and others went before him. It’s a mixed reaction, but the consistent theme throughout the comments are he has bags and bags of talent.

Note this and agreed

Paul knew he was signing 2 years ago.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Aug 2019 08:26

Most I have read accept they have to get rid of at least a couple of the 6 strikers they seem to have collected and don't want Joao to go but accept you can only sell players that other clubs want.

Most appear to prefer Winnall or Nuhiu going but there appears to be no interest in them

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Aug 2019 08:27

StellaPlease
paultheroyal

Note this and agreed

Paul knew he was signing 2 years ago.

God, this must really hurt you. Bless.

For the record, I knew nothing of this signing.

198 posts