CONFIMRED: Lucas Joao

198 posts
Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour: Lucas Joao

by Notts Royal » 06 Aug 2019 10:56

Personally would prefer us to give Nova a decent run of games there, but £5m I suppose is the going rate...João seems to have the right attributes. Didn’t realise he was so young either so there’s room for improvement

Either way it’ll strengthen us which is important

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Aug 2019 11:01

I'm sure I've heard somewhere there's a quote on the number of Joaos a club is allowed.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Aug 2019 11:01

Aluko 2.0. Transfer fee is ludicrous if true.

It's like groundhog day being a supporter sometimes.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Aug 2019 11:11

Reading the SWFC forums, this looks like an incredible signing by us.

Vast majority, rate him as their best striker, don't want him to go, Many value him in the £10 million+ price bracket and if picked week in week out will get you 20+ goals a season. Don't understand the Reading link, tinpot, relegation fodder etc etc.

Well done to all concerned if we pull this off.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 06 Aug 2019 11:31

To everyone saying we'll be paying it over a number of years. All transfers are paid over a number of years for the purposes of the accounts. ALL OF THEM.

For people saying, well we've waived the Hector fee so that its cheaper....what the hell? That was money we would have got, which we now won't get, that is not making it cheaper, that's just paying the same amount of money, but with the money circulating through less hands to get there.

If I my friend owes me £100, and i buy a car of another mate, and get the first mate to pay the money to the other mate, my car isnt £100 cheaper!

Maybe he will be good, maybe he wont. Its £5m, which is a lot of money, and we are a club with not much left in the tank in order to meet FFP.

If he doesnt perform, which isn't that hard to imagine, we now have potentially no room for maneuver in January.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2019 11:38

Notts Royal Personally would prefer us to give Nova a decent run of games there, but £5m I suppose is the going rate...João seems to have the right attributes. Didn’t realise he was so young either so there’s room for improvement

Either way it’ll strengthen us which is important

Agreed that Imwould want Nova to be given the chance but it’s deadline day on Thursday and we can’t afford not to have the right players. January will be too late.....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 11:38

not sure anyone (with any sense) said Hector makes it cheaper, just that we won't be paying much for him this season

what it maybe did mean, is by signing Joao it meant Sheff Weds could afford Hector, hence it might be money we wouldn't have got if Chelsea had held onto him and kept loaning him out until he became ooc

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 06 Aug 2019 11:51

Greatwesternline If he doesnt perform, which isn't that hard to imagine, we now have potentially no room for maneuver in January.

With that logic, January signings might not perform. If Gomes and his scouting team reckon he'll be a good acquisition, then I'm inclined to trust him/them. As others have pointed out; he will improve the squad.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 06 Aug 2019 12:09

Rollerbob
Greatwesternline If he doesnt perform, which isn't that hard to imagine, we now have potentially no room for maneuver in January.

With that logic, January signings might not perform. If Gomes and his scouting team reckon he'll be a good acquisition, then I'm inclined to trust him/them. As others have pointed out; he will improve the squad.

That's what people said about Aluko and Bacuna. If we have £5m to spend, why couldnt we take on loan more of the 5 superb loanees who kept us up last season?

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 06 Aug 2019 12:14

Hound not sure anyone (with any sense) said Hector makes it cheaper, just that we won't be paying much for him this season

what it maybe did mean, is by signing Joao it meant Sheff Weds could afford Hector, hence it might be money we wouldn't have got if Chelsea had held onto him and kept loaning him out until he became ooc

Whether we pay much in cash for him this season is not that relevant. Our owners have cash. The accounting which is what matters for FFP, not the cash flows, is unaffected by the timings of the payments for Joao. If its £5m, its £5m divided by number of years of his contract, each year. If we have agreed to pay less money in order to forego Hector sell on, then perhaps we have paid less, and we may have never got Hector sell on money if as you say chelsea never went on to sell him. That is an interesting way of looking at it, fair enough.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2019 12:18

Greatwesternline
Rollerbob

That's what people said about Aluko and Bacuna. If we have £5m to spend, why couldnt we take on loan more of the 5 superb loanees who kept us up last season?

Because Nelson took a deal with AEK, Martinez is giving it a go at Arsenal, Baker was too expensive and has gone abroad and Eljaria is ongoing. It seems we aren’t spending 5 million or anything like it, we’ve got a lucky break with circumstances.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 06 Aug 2019 12:25

But I thought Paul said Oliviera was a 100% done deal?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2019 12:28

StellaPlease But I thought Paul said Oliviera was a 100% done deal?

And probably any reasonable person would understand what he meant by that and why it didn’t happen.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 06 Aug 2019 12:36

Interesting that we're spending up to £5M (installments or not) when we're close to breaching FFP.

Maybe one of our players is off for big money?

Basildon

by Basildon » 06 Aug 2019 12:43

Jesus, let it go will ya.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 06 Aug 2019 12:47

Nameless

And probably any reasonable person would understand what he meant by that and why it didn’t happen.

Nope, a 100% done deal means that nothing can stop it.

It didn't happen.

Anyway, happy to leave it now, as long as he doesn't come back on here with the pretence of actually being in the know.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2019 12:49

StellaPlease
Nameless

It didn't happen.

Anyway, happy to leave it now, as long as he doesn't come back on here with the pretence of actually being in the know.

I did have a ‘reasonable’ caveat.......

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 06 Aug 2019 12:54

Nameless
StellaPlease
Nameless

It didn't happen.

I did have a ‘reasonable’ caveat.......

Paul's post below

'Keeper and Oliviera are a done deal - I don't know yet about the other 2.'

Where is Oliviera?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 12:57

give it a rest man. We all know the NO circumstances - would probably have happened if we'd managed to sell off some players quicker. Paul is as reliable as any on here

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 06 Aug 2019 12:59

Hound give it a rest man. We all know the NO circumstances - would probably have happened if we'd managed to sell off some players quicker. Paul is as reliable as any on here

But he didn't say that. He said it was a done deal. A done deal means the deal has been done, not that it's dependant on things.

Just outing him as another self important oxf*rd that's all.

198 posts