Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Wycombe Away

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Aug 2019 17:38

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Snowball
??

Because Yiadom might need a rest..

Because Gunter is .surplus to requirements and not match fit.

Because Rhino at RWB might be better than either Howe or Watson
and it allows for Rhino to go central if Adam or Pele are pulled

You have 4 RBs at your disposal. Two young products of your academy who went on tour with the first team. And you choose to play your best midfielder out of position, into a position where his performances have been mixed.

Might as well tell Howe and Watson to pack their bags.

Were either of them involved in the U-23 game on Monday? If so, that might be why they weren't involved.

Believe Gunter played. Surely the first team takes priority

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Aug 2019 17:40

Nameless I assumed it was about getting certain players on the pitch, chose 11 and then decide how you can play them. I think playing 352 was fair enough but Rino may as well not have played. Other than that it was reasonable in terms of players getting minutes under their belt.

Got the result. Through to the next round. Another very winnable game. Every match minute played helps shape the squad into a team.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 14 Aug 2019 17:52

Lower West
Nameless I assumed it was about getting certain players on the pitch, chose 11 and then decide how you can play them. I think playing 352 was fair enough but Rino may as well not have played. Other than that it was reasonable in terms of players getting minutes under their belt.

Got the result. Through to the next round. Another very winnable game. Every match minute played helps shape the squad into a team.

Retrospectively I agree. Wass pretty pissed off last night but it was a new team coming together and it will take some time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2019 18:38

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal You have 4 RBs at your disposal. Two young products of your academy who went on tour with the first team. And you choose to play your best midfielder out of position, into a position where his performances have been mixed.

Were either of them involved in the U-23 game on Monday? If so, that might be why they weren't involved.

Can understand the logic to an extent - gives Rino some experience playing that position if we needed to swap things around in a game and Chuck a CF on for example.

Though falls down slightly when our normal RB is as good as Yiadom in an attacking sense

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Aug 2019 19:05

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal You have 4 RBs at your disposal. Two young products of your academy who went on tour with the first team. And you choose to play your best midfielder out of position, into a position where his performances have been mixed.

Oh yeah, he did you’re right. I guess it does take priority, but for whatever reason JG wanted to try Rino out there.

Hound
Can understand the logic to an extent - gives Rino some experience playing that position if we needed to swap things around in a game and Chuck a CF on for example.

Though falls down slightly when our normal RB is as good as Yiadom in an attacking sense

This could well be the reason, especially when you consider that AY had AFCON before the season so could probably do with a bit of a rest.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Aug 2019 23:10

Snowflake Royal
Snowball
Snowflake Royal
Thanks.

??

Snowflake Royal
Why play Rino at RWB if we have Yiadom, Gunter, Howe and Watson at the club. It's madness.

Because Yiadom might need a rest..

Because Gunter is .surplus to requirements and not match fit.

Because Rhino at RWB might be better than either Howe or Watson
and it allows for Rhino to go central if Adam or Pele are pulled

You have 4 RBs at your disposal. Two young products of your academy who went on tour with the first team. And you choose to play your best midfielder out of position, into a position where his performances have been mixed.

Don't want to interfere. I enjoy an Ian/Snowball argument as much as the next man or woman. But didn't you say Snowball that Rino was wasted at RWB?

Anyway I didn't understand it and good as he is (No doubt in any position) the side is weaker when he plays there than in his preferred position.

Overall there were promising signs and I thought all our new players looked very comfortable on the ball and quick in thought and action. Wycombe fans near me (was in Home stand) were most impressed with Ovie. So was I.

Parking - beggared belief
Pie - excellent
Opposition fans - mostly harmless

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Aug 2019 10:15

On the face of it: a draw in 90mins against a lower league team, which was probably a fair result. Not impressive.

But actually a great chance for the team to gel more, experiment with formations and ideas and it all paid off really well in the end. Standout points for me:

- Richards, the guy I asked never to play for Reading again, brilliant again.
- Adams, the guy I called pointless after the Hull game, actually did well I thought. Some good battling, some good balls. Not a bad squad player at all.
- Swift, the guy I said would one day would be one of our best players, showed why.
- Rafael - solid all game but not really tested. Penalty hero. Steve Mautone wannabe :) No brainer he now starts. Defence must trust him.
- Moore, as I said for first two games, not quite with it. Not sure what's going on with him. Like him, though, loyal and passionate player.
- Pele. Meh.
- Puskas. Class. He will miss chances, but he will be there to miss them. And he will also score bucketloads. Money well spent. The sort of player we were hoping to spend that money on instead of the shite Stam decided to spend the same money on.
- Boye. Really like him. A tricky hungry energetic player. I dunno why I think of Jamie Lambert.

Overall, yeah, a lot of positives as we got confidence in a keeper (for now), we got to try youngsters, try a new formation, a penalty win ( :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ) and a massive boost.

Give it another 3 or so league games to gel and I can really see this lot being a decent force.

The future is definitely looking bright!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Aug 2019 10:47

I wonder how often the word gel will be used over the next few weeks?!

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 15 Aug 2019 12:14

bcubed I wonder how often the word gel will be used over the next few weeks?!

Other hair products are available

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Aug 2019 12:28

Until they gel I expect.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Aug 2019 12:34

2 world wars, 1 world cup

Until they gel I expect.

Wasn't being critical. It just strikes me as a word that will get a lot of use.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 15 Aug 2019 13:15

Until someone sticks some Gelignite where the sun don't shine

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Aug 2019 13:28

bcubed

Until they gel I expect.

Hehe no worries :)

I could say cohere,... any English boffins out there have a good single word we might use instead?

You're right though, I think it will be a feature in our discussions for a lot of this season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Aug 2019 13:36

bcubed
Until they gel I expect.

Hehe no worries :)

I could say cohere,... any English boffins out there have a good single word we might use instead?

You're right though, I think it will be a feature in our discussions for a lot of this season.

Let’s not run before we can walk, they need to coagulate first

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Aug 2019 13:57

They’ll be fine once they have developed mutual understanding of each other’s game, runs, strengths, weaknesses and so on, to the point where the playing eleven and substitutes are a well-oiled outfit playing with almost supernatural awareness and “Hoel”

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Aug 2019 14:21

Snowball They’ll be fine once they have developed mutual understanding of each other’s game, runs, strengths, weaknesses and so on, to the point where the playing eleven and substitutes are a well-oiled outfit playing with almost supernatural awareness and “Hoel”

Not very snappy though?!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Aug 2019 14:40

Snowball They’ll be fine once they have developed mutual understanding of each other’s game, runs, strengths, weaknesses and so on, to the point where the playing eleven and substitutes are a well-oiled outfit playing with almost supernatural awareness and “Hoel”

:lol:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Aug 2019 14:40

bcubed

Not very snappy though?!

Well I wanted to say "gel"

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Aug 2019 15:01

A team "taking time to gel" is one of those annoying football buzz-phrases that doesn't actually mean anything

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 15 Aug 2019 15:11

Prefer 'meld'. 'Tis a woody word.