Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Cardiff

by Denver Royal » 18 Aug 2019 17:59

Royal Monkey
Aeroguide Sorry for maybe putting this in the wrong thread:

From Live4Liverpool:

When Liverpool agreed to send Ovie Ejaria back on loan to Reading, no one would have expected a couple of weeks later to see him being described as “world class” and “unplayable”. However that is exactly what has happened with some Reading supporters completely blown away by the midfielder’s display in their 3-0 win against Cardiff on Sunday afternoon. Ejaria bossed the game, pretty from much start to finish as the Royals bagged their first win of the new season. Liverpool loaned Ejaria out in the summer transfer window and, as reported by the Daily Mail, the Championship side has an obligation to sign the central midfielder at the end of the season for £3million. It’s not hard to see why there are so many Reading fans who believe that is a bargain, especially after how well he played at the Madejski on Sunday. According to WhoScored, Ejaria completed eight dribbles, won four tackles and had a pass accuracy of 84 per cent. He was never going to be Liverpool quality but that £3million fee does look a bit low now.

As the window came to a close I wasn’t too bothered if we didn’t get Ejaria but I’m glad we did thought he was class today MOM.

Well, you weren't alone in that (but props for fessing up anyway).
There was talk over the Summer about how he had been the 'least impressive' of the loan-ees.
And in some ways, at 21, I expected him to be that.
But at the same time, also thought he could have the most up side and the highest ceiling.
It's early doors yet as to whether that comes to fruition, but a settled position and role in the side should help.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Aug 2019 18:05

That's the John Swift I want to see week in week out. Imperious.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Aug 2019 18:06

RG7Fan Didn't expect that at all, really enjoyable game.

I was a bit nervous for the 1st 15 as it looked like our shape was all over the place. The goal seemed to lift everyone - fans & team alike, and then we just got better. Colin cocked up with the double sub at half time.

Puscas is worth £8m - already nearly a quarter of the way to beating last seasons top scorer.
Ejaria was my MOTM, 3Points was pointing out what he does on the pitch and his work rate, etc. and he wasn't wrong.

Up in the West stand (GU9) today - not a bad viewing position. The group of Romanian lads near us were having a great day (obviously), minus points for someone who kept farting (very badly) near us.

Were they English or Romanian farts?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Aug 2019 18:08

Platypuss That's the John Swift I want to see week in week out. Imperious.

No longer has to carry the team. Can focus on what he's good at.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Aug 2019 18:11

Lower West
Platypuss That's the John Swift I want to see week in week out. Imperious.

No longer has to carry the team. Can focus on what he's good at.

Yep, having now had a full off-season with Gomes, won't be surprised if he continues his improvement under him.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Aug 2019 18:25

Jagermesiter1871
Cureton's Volley :lol: @ the usual moaners, sharpening their knives on pages 4 & 5 of the match thread.

We're very inconsistent, but it was pleasing to see some ability and desire on show for 90 minutes today.

Tbf that's the first time that teams played together. Harsh to call them inconsistent.

TBF 9 of the team were involved in the last game.....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Aug 2019 18:26

Nameless
Jagermesiter1871
Cureton's Volley :lol: @ the usual moaners, sharpening their knives on pages 4 & 5 of the match thread.

We're very inconsistent, but it was pleasing to see some ability and desire on show for 90 minutes today.

Tbf that's the first time that teams played together. Harsh to call them inconsistent.

TBF 9 of the team were involved in the last game.....

... training exercise...

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 18 Aug 2019 18:37

Not much left to say that hasn't been said, but that was an excellent team performance. Most enjoyable home game in recent memory, perhaps even since Steve Clarke.

9's for Puscas (10 if he buried the one on one), Swift, Ejaria, and Richards. 8's for Yiadom, Rafael and Morrison. 7's for the rest.

Playing with an extra CB and having Pele really allowed Swift and Ejaria to shine, they were an absolute joy to watch on the ball. The intricacy of passing deep into their half was mesmerising at times.

Joao and Puscas should develop into a strong partnership. Joao didn't get much protection from the ref but needs to be a bit stronger, he threw himself to ground fairly easily a couple of times. Held the ball up well though and seemed fairly intelligent when passing.

Although partly down to Cardiff pushing forward/generally not being great, the last goal was really fun to watch. Like the Reading of old with a really quick break and incisive finish.

Feeling more optimistic for the season now. Top half should really be the aim - hope we can build on this and avoid defeat at WBA.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 18 Aug 2019 18:42

Snowball

I was a bit nervous for the 1st 15 as it looked like our shape was all over the place. The goal seemed to lift everyone - fans & team alike, and then we just got better. Colin cocked up with the double sub at half time.

Puscas is worth £8m - already nearly a quarter of the way to beating last seasons top scorer.
Ejaria was my MOTM, 3Points was pointing out what he does on the pitch and his work rate, etc. and he wasn't wrong.

Up in the West stand (GU9) today - not a bad viewing position. The group of Romanian lads near us were having a great day (obviously), minus points for someone who kept farting (very badly) near us.

They were bloody rank whatever nationality they were.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 18 Aug 2019 18:44

Michael Morrison had a touch of Kaspars Gorkšs about him today. In looks and style. That pleases me.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 18 Aug 2019 18:48

Royal Ginger Michael Morrison had a touch of Kaspars Gorkšs about him today. In looks and style. That pleases me.

It was great having three organisers at the back. They kept it tight when the long throws and crosses came in. That was a big clean sheet today, Cardiff are a big side physically.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2019 18:49

There was a moment in the second half when we cleared the ball and Swift clearly had little appetite to chase it down...until Gomes barked at him and then he shifted.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 18 Aug 2019 19:06

Royal Ginger Michael Morrison had a touch of Kaspars Gorkšs about him today. In looks and style. That pleases me.

Very much so. Looks the spit of him.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Aug 2019 19:25

I thought Puscas showed many similarities to Shane Long today with the potential to be much much better. Ran around, worked hard, poachers 2nd goal, created the 1st goal on his own. Deserved a hatrick, hopefully goes on and bangs in at least 15 goals now and he's still only young! He's the all round striker we've lacked for a long time.

I also really like Lucas Joao, he really bullied Flint and Morrison today. I think both will be huge fan favourites.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 18 Aug 2019 19:28, edited 2 times in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Aug 2019 19:26

RG7Fan
Snowball

They were bloody rank whatever nationality they were.

If they were that bad, probably Welsh

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Aug 2019 19:28

Royal_jimmy I thought Puscas showed many similarities to Shane Long today with the potential to be much much better. Ran around, worked hard, poachers 2nd goal, created the 1st goal on his own. Deserved a hatrick, hopefully goes on and bangs in at least 15 goals now and he's still only young!

No wonder I love him!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Aug 2019 19:46

Just watching the game again on SKY

Warnock hasn’t got eyebrows!

WTF?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Aug 2019 19:49

Hasn't had for years

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 18 Aug 2019 19:52

Royal_jimmy I thought Puscas showed many similarities to Shane Long today with the potential to be much much better. Ran around, worked hard, poachers 2nd goal, created the 1st goal on his own. Deserved a hatrick, hopefully goes on and bangs in at least 15 goals now and he's still only young! He's the all round striker we've lacked for a long time.

I also really like Lucas Joao, he really bullied Flint and Morrison today. I think both will be huge fan favourites.

João looked lively but wasted positions on timid pot-shots that wouldn’t have challenged Virginia. He wanted a goal too badly.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Aug 2019 20:00

Royal_jimmy I thought Puscas showed many similarities to Shane Long today.

I hope not. Good player for many reasons I suppose but he was hardly prolific.

He reminds me of Forster.

The guy took the ball from OUR HALF got his head down and just ran towards goal like a goal hungry maniac and scored. It was bloody amazing. I can't think of a Reading player other than Forster who had that determination for goal.

If other aspects of his play remind you of Long, who had many other good attributes then that's amazing.

Do we actually have a striker with the determination and goal scoring ability of Forster, the finishing of Curo, the creativity of Long?

Early days but I literally can't think of a player who has excited us as much as this guy.

He's not meant for the Championship.

202 posts