MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (a) sponsored by as hard as it gets

246 posts
Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (a) sponsored by as hard as it gets

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Aug 2019 18:44

Snowball
Hound I like your optimism Snowball, but I really do want to see us perform like Cardiff for a few more games at least, before I start jumping in with how good the side is

We're still not particularly proven. Joao has never been first choice for long, Puscas is new to England, Ejaria has had one fairly good half season, Swift is an injury or loss of confidence away from being peripheral again, Meite is emotional and up and down in form, Miazga has played 20 odd games in England, Rafael has had one English league game etc...

there's still plenty that could go wrong

I don't call this "optimism" and I can imagine us getting thrashed at The Hawthorns
even if we are as good as I think we are

I am just looking at the player-on-player changes since Game 1

Keeper - so much better it's laughable

CBs - Moore, still under his par, but playing on his better side, Miazga improving, SEVENTEEN headed clearances on Sunday, Morrison, "Mr Solid" a calming influence... The whole? Looked like it could eat crosses for fun.

WBs. I think both the shirt-holders are better WBs than FBs and seem to enjoy it. The 3/5 at the back helps them and leaves us less exposed (compared to FBs way up field in a 442)... Richards can still improve a lot.

We have the DM we've been asking for, Ejaria is just GREAT, and Swift (over his injury?) has been set free to attack - and in front the big target man we've been asking for, and Puscas who just looks too good for this league.

I didn't go into the league thinking we were relegation fodder, but the improvements have been HUGE.

It's not just the result v Cardiff, but the whole feel, the joy, the passion, the tackles won, the sheer spirit, and that after a great second half at Hull. Whatever tonight's result (and YES we could lose 3-0) this is a great first eleven and a squad with real depth. I will be shocked if we are not top ten. I expect us to be much better than that

Couldn't agree more but it won't stop the "I told you so's" and resident wrist slitters reaching for their fire hydrants at full time should we suffer the "disaster" of defeat on one of our toughest trips of the season

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 21 Aug 2019 19:00

1 change Boye replaces Joao

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2019 19:02

Royals and Racers 1 change Boye replaces Joao

Who drops to the bench. Meite no where, as Loader comes into the squad. :shock:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Aug 2019 19:05

Radio suggest Meite has a foot injury

It needs to be stropped up

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Aug 2019 19:05

Meite straight down the tunnel Sunday, not included tonight,

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Aug 2019 19:07

windermereROYAL Meite straight down the tunnel Sunday, not included tonight,

Maybe signing for Barcelona now Neymar not going there

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Aug 2019 19:08

I think Boye for Joao is good tactical thinking. Joao was perfect for Cardiff's physical challenge, but maybe Gomes has deemed Boye a more intelligent, technical player which is right for WBA. I'd also expect Boye to contribute more tracking back against a good attacking team.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2019 19:09

João didn’t look right towards the end of Cardiff. Not totally surprised he is on the bench

Bit disappointed though as could have seen him causing them all sorts of problems

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Aug 2019 19:11

Hound João didn’t look right towards the end of Cardiff. Not totally surprised he is on the bench

Bit disappointed though as could have seen him causing them all sorts of problems

Yeah, he was out of his feet by the time he was subbed on. Imagine Meite would have played if he wasn’t injured to maintain the taller smaller duo up top although I haven’t seen Boye yet so im excited

Only thing I’m a bit disappointed about is that Loader and Barrett are both ahead of Olise. Particularly when it’s looking more unlikely Loader will be a Reading player this time next year

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Aug 2019 19:12

Hound João didn’t look right towards the end of Cardiff. Not totally surprised he is on the bench

He will get game time if we are chasing the game.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Aug 2019 19:14

URZZZZ

Yeah, he was out of his feet by the time he was subbed on. Imagine Meite would have played if he wasn’t injured to maintain the taller smaller duo up top although I haven’t seen Boye yet so im excited

Only thing I’m a bit disappointed about is that Loader and Barrett are both ahead of Olise. Particularly when it’s looking more unlikely Loader will be a Reading player this time next year

Or, game time could convince Loader he'll get opportunities here and potentially sign a new contract. Plus if he gets game time and scores goals any potential tribunal fee will be higher.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Aug 2019 19:15

WestYorksRoyal I think Boye for Joao is good tactical thinking. Joao was perfect for Cardiff's physical challenge, but maybe Gomes has deemed Boye a more intelligent, technical player which is right for WBA. I'd also expect Boye to contribute more tracking back against a good attacking team.

Against Wycombe Boye and Puscas had some nice interplay

Esteban

by Esteban » 21 Aug 2019 19:16

Royals and Racers 1 change Boye replaces Joao

Hope he knows how to hold the ball up, reckon we'll be under the kosh tonight. That West Brom line up looks a bit too strong for us, I fear.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Aug 2019 19:17

+1 He is such a big f*cker was hoping he would start as well, always gonna cause problems? Maybe he is plan b tonight.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Aug 2019 19:17

We played a lot of long balls v Wycombe.

Hope that's not the plan tonight

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 Aug 2019 19:30

windermereROYAL Meite straight down the tunnel Sunday, not included tonight,

Maybe, you know, he was straight off down the tunnel because he'd got the injury that is keeping him out tonight.

He's just tweeted good luck to the team, so it's unlikely he's sulking!

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 21 Aug 2019 19:55

Woodcote Royal
Notts Royal I reckon (and I hope) Gomes will drop out either Swift or Ejaria for Rinomhota to be slightly more defensive tonight.

As long as Rino is used regularly enough throughout the season, I’m happy! Too much of a talent to not be utilised

Not a chance unless he thinks we need fresh legs after outstanding performances from both of them against Cardiff, including doing their share of breaking up attacks in midfield. He's playing 3 at the back partly to give his creative midfield the confidence to play their natural game and long may it continue.

Let’s give it a few weeks - I’m basing my opinion on the consistency Rino brings...how often has he had a bad game? Pele has had 1 great game, Swift has been inconsistent until now. Hopefully all 4 of the options will be consistently great...but evidence so far suggests not

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Aug 2019 19:59

I see Meite as a slightly vulnerable, emotional, heart on the sleeve type of guy rather than your description.

Edit - Oh, previous comment seems to have disappeared!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2019 20:03

Royal Rother I see Meite as a slightly vulnerable, emotional, heart on the sleeve type of guy rather than your description.

Edit - Oh, previous comment seems to have disappeared!

Platy is on the case I see.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Aug 2019 20:06

Hardly had a kick in the first 5.

246 posts