Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (a) sponsored by Steve Francis

by Sutekh » 21 Aug 2019 21:59

When : Saturday 24th August, 3pm
Where : John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield, HD1 6PX
Capacity 24,121
Away Stand : One end of the ground in the AbZorb (South) Stand
What might I see in the area : Last of the Summer Wine

Well the time to go again is thankfully shortly to be back with us after the standard disappointment of an away midweek fixture, however for a change the disappointment was due to only getting a point rather than being trounced but that point has pushed Reading up to FIFTEENTH, heights that could only have been dreamt about in the last two seasons.

Managerless Huddersfield (that's good, another club going through management changes just in time to face Reading :roll: ) have had a very poor start for a club relegated from the Premier League but that won't make it any the easier for Reading. Currently being led by caretaker Mark Hudson, the Terriers have lost both previous home games to fancied sides Derby and Fulham by 2-1 and only managed a single point from a 1-1 visit to QPR before a late defeat at Cardiff. Note that they have scored and conceded in each game and seem to be a bit like WBA in terms of the way their games have gone, just in reverse

Huddersfield have lost one time Royal Danny Williams but have gained one time Royal Tommy Elphick. Fraizer Campbell has also joined after being released by Hull earlier in the summer. Reading , it seems, have pretty much a full squad available, touchwood, with only Blackett and Obita recovering with injuries. Interesting to note that really only Swift and Moore remain from the current Reading regular starting XI that last played against Huddersfield 2 years ago, though Obita would be a third if he was fit enough.

Biggest issue about this game though is that it is away from home and since a win a Burton in early 2018 Reading have won just TWO of their last 32 league trips (and one of those was a last minute thing at an abject Ipswich last season). Still these things have to be broken at some point....

Referee

Tony Harrington's turn to take control of Reading's Saturday fortunes.

Previously

30 Mar 19 > Reading 2-1 Preston North End
23-Oct 18 > Birmingham City 2-1 Reading
24-Feb-18 > Reading 3-3 Derby County
16-Sep-18 > Brentford 1-1 Reading
21-Feb-17 > Huddersfield Town 1-0 Reading
10-Dec-16 > Reading 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday
06-Feb-16 > Reading 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
29-Sep-15 > Burnley 1-2 Reading
01-Oct-14 > Reading 0-0 Leeds United

Historically

The playing record is better than you'd expect for an awkward long trek up north. Of the 22 league seasons shared (all since 1976) Reading have managed 8 wins to Huddersfield's 11. However Reading have lost each of their last 3 league trips to Huddersfield scoring just 1 goal and conceding 7 in the process.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel all the way up north
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

Re: MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (a) sponsored by Steve Francis

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 22 Aug 2019 23:51

thanks

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Aug 2019 08:11

Interesting one this. They certainly have some quality but totally forgotten how to win

Same team as Cardiff please José. And hopefully Meite back on the bench

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2019 08:18

Hmm, their start has been poor but actually they look to have had a very tough start on paper against Derby, Fulham, QPR and Cardiff. You'd expect 3 of those to be close to top 6 come the end of the season.

Then there's the no manager and our away record factors.

This is a game I'd really like to fancy us to win given our recent performances and Huddersfield's start. But it's also set up as a perfect case of being sucker punched by a decent team beginning it's recovery with the travelling RFC charity.

A win and I'll start to dare to dream. A draw and I'll be pretty happy. A loss and I'll be start to worry about false dawns all over again.

Has to be pretty much the same side as Cardiff where at all possible.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Aug 2019 09:01

Any team losing Mooy and Billings in central midfield will take time to adapt; they were quality players.

I expect they'll be fine this season; not another Sunderland. That being said, I think August is a good time to play them as they get used to the Championship again.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Aug 2019 09:07

Prutton predicting a 3-1 win. Yikes.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Aug 2019 09:20

genome Prutton predicting a 3-1 win. Yikes.

To us?

Is he feeling alright?!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Aug 2019 09:22

Agree with the consensus here, they're a team we want to play before they work things out. Still have lots of quality but the midfield has been disrupted. We're in good form and have every chance.

Am going to optimistically predict 2-0 Reading with goals from Puscas and Richards.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2019 09:37

The positive here is before the season started, and even 2 weeks ago we would have all seen this as a likely defeat with a draw being the most we could ask for.

They do have top end Championship quality in there and will improve but now there is no reason why we can't go there and get a rare away win. First goal will be massive here - if they get ahead then confidence may start to come back - the only time they've lead this year is when they got their solitary point.

If we get it, the fans will get nervous and we could easily nick a second and deflate them. This is a very similar challenge to the one we passed against Cardiff last weekend.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Aug 2019 09:46

For all the recent promise, there's a real need to get some away wins. Getting your points at home is fine for survival, but to push on up the table you need away wins. I'm not going to read into last season's poor away form as it was a different scenario, but this seems like an excellent opportunity to get an early away win under our belts.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Aug 2019 10:41

---------------------Rafael
------Miazga---Morrison---Moore
Yiadom--------------------------------Richards
----------------------Pele
-----------------Swift---Ejaria
----------Puşcaş--------------Joao

Virginia
McIntyre
Blackett?
Rinomhota
Barrett/Olise
Boye/Loader
Meite

Olise should be put on a rigorous positional retraining to become a CM. Work on his defensive positioning so we can use him instead of Adam going forward.

Barrett is in a tough spot. Hes clearly been deemed good enough for the first team but he doesnt actually fit unless we need to change formation. Still, as I said in the match thread against West Brom, I would have preferred him over Adam despite the unfamiliarity with the position he would have been asked to play.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 23 Aug 2019 10:43

2-0 reading

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Aug 2019 14:44

Interveiw with Morrison ahead of the game and he talks about getting recovery right. I'm not one of those using him as an excuse to disparage Moore but it's so nice to have a seasoned pro like him right now. He knows this league. Hes a leader and we have needed someone like him since relegation I would say (although looking at Sean Morrison now he probably fits that bill too)

Moore and Miazga are top players at this level but it's easy to forget the benefit of experience. Morrison has been there and done it all. Relegation battles, challenging top teams. I was dubious, to say the least, about a switch to the back 3 but its proved worth it thus far to fit an excellent addition into the starting line up.

He also clearly is used to being a leader as he mentions the fans again in the interveiw. He seems a great fit for the club. Long may it continue.

Aeroguide

by Aeroguide » 23 Aug 2019 17:34

Snowflake Royal Hmm, their start has been poor but actually they look to have had a very tough start on paper against Derby, Fulham, QPR and Cardiff. You'd expect 3 of those to be close to top 6 come the end of the season.

Then there's the no manager and our away record factors.

This is a game I'd really like to fancy us to win given our recent performances and Huddersfield's start. But it's also set up as a perfect case of being sucker punched by a decent team beginning it's recovery with the travelling RFC charity.

A win and I'll start to dare to dream. A draw and I'll be pretty happy. A loss and I'll be start to worry about false dawns all over again.

Has to be pretty much the same side as Cardiff where at all possible.

Glass half full as opposed to being half empty...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Aug 2019 19:55

I'm flying up for this. :D

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 24 Aug 2019 00:35

Snowflake Royal Hmm, their start has been poor but actually they look to have had a very tough start on paper against Derby, Fulham, QPR and Cardiff.

and Lincoln.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Aug 2019 00:44

NewCorkSeth Interveiw with Morrison ahead of the game and he talks about getting recovery right. I'm not one of those using him as an excuse to disparage Moore but it's so nice to have a seasoned pro like him right now. He knows this league. Hes a leader and we have needed someone like him since relegation I would say (although looking at Sean Morrison now he probably fits that bill too)

Moore and Miazga are top players at this level but it's easy to forget the benefit of experience. Morrison has been there and done it all. Relegation battles, challenging top teams. I was dubious, to say the least, about a switch to the back 3 but its proved worth it thus far to fit an excellent addition into the starting line up.

He also clearly is used to being a leader as he mentions the fans again in the interveiw. He seems a great fit for the club. Long may it continue.

Agreed. He reminds me of Gorkss in some ways

Don’t get me wrong, I like Moore. But I’m not sure about him as a leader. Does he have the ability to Lead a team? I’m not sure.

Even last year Moore and Miazga collectively were conceding too many goals and I’m not sure their partnership was as good as some made out (actually think the McShane - Moore partnership was better as well)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Aug 2019 04:23

A lot of negativity amongst the Huddersfield faithful, on their forum they do a poll for each game and currently have 55% predicting a Reading win.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Aug 2019 06:51

royalp-we
Snowflake Royal Hmm, their start has been poor but actually they look to have had a very tough start on paper against Derby, Fulham, QPR and Cardiff.

and Lincoln.

Lincoln would turn us over I think.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Aug 2019 11:26

tidus_mi2 A lot of negativity amongst the Huddersfield faithful, on their forum they do a poll for each game and currently have 55% predicting a Reading win.

I was thinking how much fun the predictions would be
if every week we invited the opposition to predict as well

166 posts