Bowen interview

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Bowen interview

by Simon's Church » 14 Oct 2019 20:11

RoyalBlue
paultheroyal
WestYorksRoyal Well he came across well here a couple of months ago.

But he led to the sacking of our Messiah Gomes with that amazing win percentage....

As for the wonderful words from the Snake Bowen about 'No Excuses', he and his great mates Niedzwiecki and Hughes trotted that out when they were at Southampton - didn't serve them particularly well there did it?

Where they kept them up and were sacked following a poor start to the next season having lost key players?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 21:22

RoyalBlue
paultheroyal
WestYorksRoyal Well he came across well here a couple of months ago.

But he led to the sacking of our Messiah Gomes with that amazing win percentage....

Selective use of stats there. Try PPG to get a fairer more representative view.

Also how about taking account of the fact that he lost three key players at the end of last season and two others didn't rejoin until the start of this. That left him just 9-10 weeks (less international breaks) to work with his full new squad.

As for the wonderful words from the Snake Bowen about 'No Excuses', he and his great mates Niedzwiecki and Hughes trotted that out when they were at Southampton - didn't serve them particularly well there did it?

Win rate, ppg, let's face it, they're all shit.

Last 6: 0%, 0.16
This season: 18%, 0.73
Last 20: 20%, 0.95
All 34: 24%, 1.05

And they show a very clear and very strong deterioration of performance too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 21:24

Simon's Church
RoyalBlue
paultheroyal

Where they kept them up and were sacked following a poor start to the next season having lost key players?

:lol: zing.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Oct 2019 21:31

Good interview.

I liked the video interview too especially when he says at first there'll be a boost of performance just because he's new. I know everyone knows this but it's still good for him to be honest enough about it to effectively say "if we do well it's not because of me initially" but to judge him based on his sustained performance.

He seems like quite a determined and no nonsense sort of chap.

I'm totally behind him.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Oct 2019 10:25

Tim Dellor has a BBC Berks interview with Mark Bowen scheduled for lunchtime, He's apparently going to find out how involved MB was in the sacking of Gomes and how he ended up with the job.

Let us remember, he didn't appoint himself - the owners/board appointed him

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 15 Oct 2019 10:33

So, a Dutchman, an Englishman, a Portuguese and a Welshman walk I to a football club................

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 15 Oct 2019 10:34

So, a Dutchman, an Englishman, a Portuguese and a Welshman walk into to a football club................

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 15 Oct 2019 10:48

andrew1957 Yes indeed a very positive interview. He sounds like a grounded and sensible chap who said all the right things - well worth a read for anyone who has not seen it.

I can only think that the current owners were sucked in by Gourlay's CV and it is a shame his era turned out to be a disaster but they have now clearly sought out grounded and sensible people at all levels of senior management at the club from Howe as CEO, Bowen as Sporting Director and Ged Roddy at the Academy.

It might be a tad early for the manager and the team to make the PL this season but things are definitely looking up and I do believe that we will get there again before too long and Mr Dai probably has the finances to keep us there for a good while.

I stand by what I said. Lets at least give the bloke a chance.

Having said that it does seem a very risky appointment in that there is the obvious suspicion that he has knifed the popular Jose in the back and so if he does not start well the fans will turn on him very quickly. No pressure then!