Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Plymouth Argyle (a) sponsored by Glen Little

by Sutekh » 24 Aug 2019 08:51

When : Tuesday 27th August, 7.45pm
Where : Home Park, Plymouth, PL2 3DQ
Capacity 12,550
Away Stand : One side of the Barn Park End
What might I see in the area : A bridge going to Cornwall, pasties, cream teas - it would have been much better to play these cup games at 3pm on the preceding bank holiday :lol:

And hot on the heels of a long away league trip up north comes a long away league cup trek out south west to the most southerly football league ground.

Plymouth are playing two divisions below Reading in Division 4 and aren't doing too badly at all. They've already managed a win away at early leaders Crewe so look to be fairly useful and, of course, this is a cup game where they will see an opportunity to get a big club and some much needed cash in the next round. Therefore they are going to be primed and up for it while Reading, as with most other higher level sides in this round, are likely to play weakened sides and therefore at high risk of being dumped out of the competition.

I would expect Reading to be likely to field a different line up as that which turned out v Wycombe with, I think, both Obita and Blackett getting places on the bench if not playing some part. For the record the line up v Wycombe was : Rafael, Rinomhota, Moore, Morrison, McIntyre, Richards, Adam, Pele, Ejaria, Boye, Puscas Subs : Walker, Swift, Miazga, Loader, Baldock, Barrett, Olise but I reckon that starting line up will be little less experienced with Rafael, at least one of the CBs, Ejaria and Puscas rested (or at least only on the bench) so will be fun trying to guess this one.

The 3rd round draw is presumably to be held straight after the games on Tuesday and this game will go straight to penalties if the scores are level at 90 minutes so there shouldn't be too much hanging about waiting for a result.

Referee

A debut referee for this one I believe. Somerset's Kevin Johnson will hove into view to whistle up what we all hope will be a right royal win.

Historically

Reading have never played a league cup game at Home Park but did beat Plymouth at the Mad Stad in 2016 in the only league cup tie played between the two teams to date.

Home Park is a bit of (pil)grim place for Reading down the years with just 6 wins from 29 league visits the last of which was Brian's first game and saw Reading crash 4-1 to the relegation bound "Devoneers".

And just to complete the sorry record, Reading have lost both FA Cup games played at Home Park; 1-0 in 1999 and 2-0 in the very last FA Cup game played as a "non league" club back in January 1920.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel all the way
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Plymouth Argyle (a) sponsored by Glen Little

by windermereROYAL » 24 Aug 2019 09:33

I reckon we should go all out to win every game, and put quite a strong side out, its been a hectic schedule in August but we only have 3 league games in September, I would go
Rafael.
Howe
Miazga
Morrison
MacItyre
Richards (Obita if fit)
Rino.
Swift.
Olise.
Joao.
Meite.

Subs, Virginia, Moore, Richards, Pele, Ejaria, Loader, Puscas.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Aug 2019 09:48

Charlton game is more important. Rest where possible.

Hence:

-----------------------Rafael
------McIntyre---Morrison---Moore
Howe------------------------------------Blackett
--------------------Rinomhota
------------------Barrett--Olise
-----------------Meite------Loader

What's that you ask? Why yes, I have played Barrett and Olise in CM. oxf*rd it. Why not?

Eh? Another question? Yes. You're not seeing things I have selected Loader over Boye.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Aug 2019 11:26

Tough call whether to rest, being as mentioned only 3 games in Sept. But Charlton is massive so I think I’d swap it all around

Virginia
McIntyre Morrison Blackett
Howe Rino Obita
Olise Barrett
Meite Loader

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Aug 2019 11:47

Have to play Virginia in this one. Need to keep good relations with Everton for when we sign Gylfi from them. :wink:

Virginia

Howe
Miazga
Moore
McIntyre
Obita

Olise
Rinomhota
Ejaria

Loader
Joao

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Aug 2019 11:53

Obita on bench for me. Ease him back in with 30 minutes

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Aug 2019 12:37

sandman Have to play Virginia in this one. Need to keep good relations with Everton for when we sign Gylfi from them. :wink:

Virginia

Howe
Miazga
Moore
McIntyre
Obita

Olise
Rinomhota
Ejaria

Loader
Joao

Ridiculous. Gylfi is joining us on a free.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Aug 2019 12:41

THis one matters more than most.
Please stuff the Janners!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2019 12:57

Perfect opportunity to test squad depth whilst playing a strong side.

............................Rafael
............Miazga, Morrison, McIntyre
Howe/Watson,Rinomhota, Blackett/Obita
.........................Olise, Ejaria
......................Meite, Loader

Virginia, Moore, Yiadom, Adam, Barrett, Nova, Joao

Strong defensive base. Rinomhota and hopefully the fittest of Blackett and Obita back in and that should allow for a less experienced attack, with plenty of first choice options on the bench in case.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Aug 2019 21:09

Those putting Blackett in. Is he fit? I thought he was back for Boro...

Virginia

Howe
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Rino
Adam
Barrett

Loader
Joao

Walker Yiadom Blackett/Obita/Watson Pele
Olise Nova Baldock

Would much rather Olise over Adam but it won’t happen. Possibly see Yiadom in for Moore as Yiadom has had a rest whereas Moore hasn’t. Give Richards a breather as well

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Aug 2019 22:36

I would rest as many as possible really, I think we should win regardless but I wouldn't shed a tear if we lost.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Aug 2019 08:45

tidus_mi2 I would rest as many as possible really, I think we should win regardless but I wouldn't shed a tear if we lost.

Normally, I'd agree with this but we are building momentum.

A 90-minute draw, another undefeated game, builds the run Cardiff/Wycombe/WBA/Huddersfield... Plymouth

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Aug 2019 09:30

Tough call - be good to keep momentum going but feel we need to rest players ahead of Charlton as this will be the 3rd realtively long distance away game in a week. I would like to think we have enough about our squad now to play a relative "B" side and get through this game even with Plymouth being in form as well.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Aug 2019 09:38

Snowball
tidus_mi2 I would rest as many as possible really, I think we should win regardless but I wouldn't shed a tear if we lost.

Normally, I'd agree with this but we are building momentum.

A 90-minute draw, another undefeated game, builds the run Cardiff/Wycombe/WBA/Huddersfield... Plymouth

Charlton seem there for the taking. It's not worth risking fitness for form in a cup game.

Jose will likely play a fair amount of the first team but I still think we could put out a competetive team that rests Swift and Ejaria most importantly.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 26 Aug 2019 09:49

Here's my predicted 11. Nova is in Holland discussing a move to PEC Zwolle according to Windermere Royal so I've left him out. I think Blackett is still injured too. I don't think we will risk 3 CBs this game so I believe a change in formation will happen too.

................. Rafael.............
.........Morrison.... Moore......
Howe...................................Obita

................ Rino....Adam........

Barrett..............................Olise
.................Meite..Loader......

Subs: Walker, McIntyre, Yiadom, Boye, Puscas, Pele, Richards

Also, I think Obita will only get 45mins max.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 26 Aug 2019 11:17

I don't think this cup is worth it. Give the first team a rest as we genuinly look good now so we could do without it.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 26 Aug 2019 11:49

thanks

Aeroguide

by Aeroguide » 26 Aug 2019 15:43

Help...I have ordered tickets for the Plymouth v Reading game, and elected to pick up the tickets from the plymouth ticket office.
( in the westcountry at the moment) Never been to Plymouth Argyle or even Plymouth before. (looks at bit of a dump)
After looking at maps etc. of plymouth ground, I cannot find where their ticket office is :oops:
Please..does anyone know the whereabouts of the ticket office in relationship to the away end (Barn Park Stand)?

Would it be possible to PM me with a location, please?

Asides that small problem, hopefully looking forward to seeing Puscas play, heard he might be playing....

Many thanks...

Aeroguide

by Aeroguide » 26 Aug 2019 15:44

Sorry if the above message is in the wrong place....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Aug 2019 16:58

Aeroguide Help...I have ordered tickets for the Plymouth v Reading game, and elected to pick up the tickets from the plymouth ticket office.
( in the westcountry at the moment) Never been to Plymouth Argyle or even Plymouth before. (looks at bit of a dump)
After looking at maps etc. of plymouth ground, I cannot find where their ticket office is :oops:
Please..does anyone know the whereabouts of the ticket office in relationship to the away end (Barn Park Stand)?

Would it be possible to PM me with a location, please?

Asides that small problem, hopefully looking forward to seeing Puscas play, heard he might be playing....

Many thanks...

The ticket office is going to be at the ground. The old grandstand side is being completely rebuilt which means the TO is presumably embedded into one of the other three stands. Reading fans will be in the left hand side of the Barn Park end which I think is equivalent to the eastern end of the stadium (the end furthest away from the A386 main Plymouth to Tavistock road).

The url below shows a satellite photo of the ground and to get to the away end you have to walk past the other two stands - unless you’re walking from the city centre/Plymouth station in which case you approach through the park from the south/south east.

https://www.footballgroundmap.com/groun ... uth-argyle

178 posts