Crowd for Charlton

notloyalenuffroyal

Re: Crowd for Charlton

by notloyalenuffroyal » 27 Aug 2019 17:20

And then when people start coming and the stadium is more full everyone will moan it is full of plastics. You can't win.

Market forces. Dull football, fewer people watch it.

Exciting football with a chance of something happening, more people watch it.

It is no surprise that the stadium seemed more full towards the end of last season once there was a hope of survival.

I just wouldn't worry about it. There's more important stuff in the world like how to pronounce scone.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Aug 2019 17:26

If exciting football and better results bring in bigger crowds, this will seriously help FFP too. Reduced matchday revenue was a big factor in our big losses in 17/18, with a couple of home games under 10k.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Aug 2019 17:40

WestYorksRoyal If exciting football and better results bring in bigger crowds, this will seriously help FFP too. Reduced matchday revenue was a big factor in our big losses in 17/18, with a couple of home games under 10k.

It'll certainly help, but at most it'd be small number millions. Matchday revenue is just such a small part of the pie these days.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 27 Aug 2019 17:49

It would be nice if the people of Reading could stump up 20 quid bearing in mind Mr Dai has generously stumped up 20 million for new players. Sadly they will stay at home watching soccer Saturday and maybe come towards the end of the season if we have a chance of promotion. If we go up claim they’ve been coming since the Elm Park days.
We are so lucky just look at Bury and Bolton.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Aug 2019 15:43

notloyalenuffroyal And then when people start coming and the stadium is more full everyone will moan it is full of plastics. You can't win.

It is no surprise that the stadium seemed more full towards the end of last season once there was a hope of survival.

I just wouldn't worry about it. There's more important stuff in the world like how to pronounce scone.

My happiest times as a Reading fan have always been when we are not doing so well, and a few us in Southbank or the back of East stand would make all the noise or swing the pants.

Any hint of success and out come the 'stics.

Reading should focus more on making me happy than success, but instead they are hellbent on this worrying journey toward further success. Tw*ts.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 01 Sep 2019 18:43

2 world wars, 1 world cup
notloyalenuffroyal And then when people start coming and the stadium is more full everyone will moan it is full of plastics. You can't win.

My happiest times as a Reading fan have always been when we are not doing so well, and a few us in Southbank or the back of East stand would make all the noise or swing the pants.

Reading should focus more on making me happy than success, but instead they are hellbent on this worrying journey toward further success. Tw*ts.

..aaand Reading duly obliged you. Wonder how many of that 15k home crowd we’ll see again after that second half?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2019 18:54

Singing Defective

..aaand Reading duly obliged you. Wonder how many of that 15k home crowd we’ll see again after that second half?

If we lose to Boro I can see the gate being only around 13,000 for Blackburn.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 01 Sep 2019 19:32

Zip
Singing Defective

I would rather have 13000 hardcore fans who care about the team then an extra 3/4k+ happy clapping daytrippers who were full kit.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2019 19:54

The Enfield Royal71
Zip
Singing Defective

I would rather have 13000 hardcore fans who care about the team then an extra 3/4k+ happy clapping daytrippers who were full kit.

It doesn’t bother me. As long as they support the club. I hate seeing so many empty seats.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2019 23:35

Zip
The Enfield Royal71
Zip

It doesn’t bother me. As long as they support the club. I hate seeing so many empty seats.

No! Other people's fun is WRONG!

Can't you see that's important?

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 02 Sep 2019 06:08

Notts Royal The continuing low home crowds is a concern...I blame it on Stam.

I blame it on Anton, although Stam made it worse.
When McDermott was sacked. we transitioned from a club that had an excellent rapport with the fans, and a side that tried to win on match days; to a club that became apathetic about its situation. Many fans stuck with Adkins out of curiosity really. But Adkins himself just gave up, and his tenure was him just existing and nothing more. Stam made it worse as he valued possession over everything, including actually winning a game. i cannot state how much of a PR disaster the play off final against Huddersfield was. We didn't even try to win that game, and if you cant try and win a game to get you in the Premiership, then you have no right to call yourself a sporting side.
And thats the nub of it really. Many of the people who no longer attend enjoy sport, plus the club drama that involves and Reading have been anti-sport for quite some time. During our darkest days - Stam - non-attenders would view attenders as being slaves going through a routine - which is why I've always been amused by the loyals/plastics comparisons.
But there is good news. I think Gomes will always be a mediocre manager, but he's generally doing the right things off the pitch, and it seems to me that Reading want to be competitive again. Even if they don't succeed, its the desire that's important. Some good signs this season are the re-loaning of Ejaria and Miazga and not selling Loader (although I suspect that was just agent chatter anyway) as squad stability is important to people who enjoy knowing who the squad is. Also the result at West Brom was a good one. They will always be a good team in this league, and that's the sort of game that previous squads would have snuck out and lost midweek without anybody really noticing.
I don't think the fans will deluge back because, lets be honest, there isnt anything truly exciting going on, but, using personal experience, the stay-aways are at least curious again. I just hope the club don't blow it by buying five unknowns in the January transfer window because were 16th or something

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Sep 2019 06:43

Snowflake Royal
Zip
The Enfield Royal71

No! Other people's fun is WRONG!

Can't you see that's important?

Hard-core fans>day trippers who turn up for Wembley.

Where are the day trippers from the premier league days? They aren't fans imo.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Sep 2019 07:03

Dr_Hfuhruhurr

When McDermott was sacked. we transitioned from a club that had an excellent rapport with the fans, and a side that tried to win on match days; to a club that became apathetic about its situation. Many fans stuck with Adkins out of curiosity really. But Adkins himself just gave up, and his tenure was him just existing and nothing more. Stam made it worse as he valued possession over everything, including actually winning a game. i cannot state how much of a PR disaster the play off final against Huddersfield was. We didn't even try to win that game, and if you cant try and win a game to get you in the Premiership, then you have no right to call yourself a sporting side.

And thats the nub of it really. Many of the people who no longer attend enjoy sport, plus the club drama that involves and Reading have been anti-sport for quite some time. During our darkest days - Stam - non-attenders would view attenders as being slaves going through a routine - which is why I've always been amused by the loyals/plastics comparisons.

But there is good news. I think Gomes will always be a mediocre manager, but he's generally doing the right things off the pitch, and it seems to me that Reading want to be competitive again. Even if they don't succeed, its the desire that's important. Some good signs this season are the re-loaning of Ejaria and Miazga and not selling Loader (although I suspect that was just agent chatter anyway) as squad stability is important to people who enjoy knowing who the squad is. Also the result at West Brom was a good one. They will always be a good team in this league, and that's the sort of game that previous squads would have snuck out and lost midweek without anybody really noticing.

I don't think the fans will deluge back because, lets be honest, there isnt anything truly exciting going on, but, using personal experience, the stay-aways are at least curious again. I just hope the club don't blow it by buying five unknowns in the January transfer window because were 16th or something

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Sep 2019 08:26

Why doesn't the club buy 10,000 cardboard cut-outs and put them in the back ten rows
with little cassette recorders each banging out Sweet Caroline?

Bingo, no empty seats, and atmosphere

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Sep 2019 08:29

Snowball Why doesn't the club buy 10,000 cardboard cut-outs and put them in the back ten rows

They've already got that. Its called Club1871

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Sep 2019 08:45

Zip
The Enfield Royal71
Zip

I’d rather have empty seats around me than people who flit in and out but don’t really have an interest in the game going on. They usually end up irritating the people around them, rather than supporting the team

We had a lot of fans for the PO final game and it resulted in people telling others to sit down when they were trying to create an atmosphere. Not sure that’s beneficial

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Sep 2019 08:47

Dr_Hfuhruhurr

Agree with virtually all of this but not sure Adkins ever gave up - always struck me as Mr Positivity

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Sep 2019 08:48

URZZZZ
Zip
The Enfield Royal71

I’d rather have empty seats around me than people who flit in and out but don’t really have an interest in the game going on. They usually end up irritating the people around them, rather than supporting the team

We had a lot of fans for the PO final game and it resulted in people telling others to sit down when they were trying to create an atmosphere. Not sure that’s beneficial

Yep exactly. At the po final I got told numerous times to sit down. I heard one of the lot who did was at their first football game and didn't know half the players. None of them had been a fan since before 2005/06 *
(Surprise).

It sickens me when people just turn up when it suits them and tell others to be quiet or sit down

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Sep 2019 08:52

I used to watch Newport County (for decades) and we lost a lot of games,
eventually went out of the league and out of business.

But, because our expectations were low and winning was rare
(except for two glory seasons when we got to the quarter-final
of the European Cup winners cup, drew 2-2 away and lost 0-1
at home to the eventual finalists) I (sort of) enjoyed watching.

Been watching Reading since 2006. In the last few seasons, I felt like giving
up, or not renewing my season ticket because I was actually getting depressed.

I don't mean "not enjoying", I mean depressed.

There is not the slightest doubt that the soul went out of the club, and a lot
of the passion, (cue "The Reading Way"). Murts on Monday radio, everything,
the sense of a family club, TRW, an up-and-at-'em attitude, the relentlessness
of attacks under Coppell (win or not), characters like Doyle, the Hunts, Kitson,
Long, Ivar, Jimmy Kebe, Gunner, BIKEY!

Some of the games felt GLORIOUS, beating Liverpool 3-1, winning after Gunnar's
nutmeg and Long's goat at Anfield. Coming back from 0-2 in our first Premiership
game v Boro to win 3-2.

These felt like "live events", real memories, something special to tell the grandkids,
whereas our last three Wembley visits (Swansea, Arsenal, Huddersfield) were meh

It isn't just about accruing points or going a long way in the cup. It's about the way
you play, what you believe in.

But, as I said, when the money stuff started and the place filled with frauds and
mercenaries, then we discovered "possession football" (OMFG), ever so slowly I went
from joy through "not-so-much" to it being a bit of a grind going and then to the point
where I began to find even thinking about Reading as genuinely depressing.

If we hadn't slotted in that quite amazing McDermott championship-winning season,
I think I would have given up. For me that season trumps the 106

Lot's of things are "just entertainment". Sure football needs to entertain, but it's
something on top of that. It's tribal, about belonging, about a way of playing.

The Millwall way, West Ham (always quality football even if they didn't win), Burnley
producing kids and being a selling club, and hanging in at the top, Celtic v Rangers,
Liverpool-Everton, Arsenal-Spurs.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Sep 2019 08:54

The Enfield Royal71
Snowball Why doesn't the club buy 10,000 cardboard cut-outs and put them in the back ten rows

They've already got that. Its called Club1871

I have nothing but praise for Club 1871

Started as a no-chance "naff idea" but has improved match-day atmosphere

If the could double the size The Madstad would ROCK!