202 posts
The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h) sponsored by Dave Shipperley

by The Enfield Royal71 » 30 Aug 2019 16:09

Hendo
The Enfield Royal71
STAR Liaison
Other than that we've been in the same league structure for about a hundred years and their fans feel the same way about their club as we do about ours. To play football you need opponents - it's the game we support as well as our club.

We have 90 other potential opponents though. Im sorry but im not applauding everything football related. Shall we applaud in the 9th minute because Fernando Torres retired?

Seeing as he never played in the football league, I'm going to say that is a pointless example.

So why not have one for Junior agogo (rip)? Or Ashley Cole when he retired? Or Yeovil when they got relegated?
Last edited by The Enfield Royal71 on 30 Aug 2019 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 30 Aug 2019 16:10

Victor Meldrew
Victor Meldrew We have had applause/silence for relatives of the club's owners in recent times so to do so for a fellow football club doesn't seem such a bad idea to me.

Except perhaps that the football club, part of the football family, has been around and known to us for over 100 years whereas relatives of owners haven't been around here at all.
Your House of Fraser example is not a good one.

House of Fraser has been a British institution for years and has a shop in town and is owned by mike Ashley who is involved in football

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Aug 2019 16:10

The Enfield Royal71
Hendo
The Enfield Royal71
We have 90 other potential opponents though. Im sorry but im not applauding everything football related. Shall we applaud in the 9th minute because Fernando Torres retired?

Seeing as he never played in the football league, I'm going to say that is a pointless example.

So why not have one for Junior agogo? Or Ashley Cole when he retired? Or Yeovil when they got relegated?

Maybe we should've done!

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 30 Aug 2019 16:11

Hendo
The Enfield Royal71
Hendo

So why not have one for Junior agogo? Or Ashley Cole when he retired? Or Yeovil when they got relegated?

Maybe we should've done!

But we didnt so why should we have one for a club we have 0 affiliation to?

We never had a minute applause when Reading Town went bust.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Aug 2019 16:42

The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew
Victor Meldrew We have had applause/silence for relatives of the club's owners in recent times so to do so for a fellow football club doesn't seem such a bad idea to me.

Except perhaps that the football club, part of the football family, has been around and known to us for over 100 years whereas relatives of owners haven't been around here at all.

House of Fraser has been a British institution for years and has a shop in town and is owned by mike Ashley who is involved in football

A very weak link there Enfield-he has only owned it for a very short period whereas Bury and RFC have jointly been members of the Football family for over a hundred years.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 30 Aug 2019 16:45

Victor Meldrew
The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew

A very weak link there Enfield-he has only owned it for a very short period whereas Bury and RFC have jointly been members of the Football family for over a hundred years.

But so have loads of other teams and we haven't had any applause for them Im sorry but its a complete ridiculous and irrelevant waste of applause where we should be putting our energy onto applauding the players and team and not a random team.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Aug 2019 16:53

The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew
The Enfield Royal71

But so have loads of other teams and we haven't had any applause for them Im sorry but its a complete ridiculous and irrelevant waste of applause where we should be putting our energy onto applauding the players and team and not a random team.

I think this is where the youthfulness of you and that of some others comes out as the generation of me,me,me and oxf*rd everybody else.
Football teams need other football teams to play so IMHO it does matter if a club goes out of business and the applause is meant to give a lift to the fans of Bury when the applause around the matches in England is reported-it shows that fans think "there but for the grace of God (or somebody else)go we".
It very nearly happened to RFC pre-The Mad Man at a time when Bury were an opposition side in the same division IIRC.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Aug 2019 16:58

The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew
The Enfield Royal71

That depends if you watched them as a young lad battling with us in the old 4th division. Very much a part of my footballing memory and a reminder of where we came from and where we could have ended up. I’ll be applauding them out of respect. You can do what you like. No one will take much notice anyway.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Aug 2019 17:42

I hope Enfield makes his point by standing up and holding his hands in the air to make it clear he is not applauding.
Of course he could join in the applause but his little claps could be for JUnior Agogo, House of Fraser, his Aunt Jeremy’s hamster or whatever he feels is ‘worthy’ of his applause

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2019 17:55

Buy a brain cell Dd.

I'll certainly be joining in the show of solidarity amongst the football fraternity.

We've come close multiple times and we almost certainly will again.

It had to happen to Bury under the circumstances, but they have my sympathy and support in restarting in 11 months.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 30 Aug 2019 17:59

This will get shot down in flames but with this system I would be considering Gunts on the bench. Would fit in a 3 at the back and more than competent in filling the wing back positions.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 30 Aug 2019 22:01

Snowflake Royal Buy a brain cell Dd.

I'll certainly be joining in the show of solidarity amongst the football fraternity.

We've come close multiple times and we almost certainly will again.

It had to happen to Bury under the circumstances, but they have my sympathy and support in restarting in 11 months.

Sorry I don't understand why it warrants an applause though. We are not connected to them in anyway.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Aug 2019 23:09

Personally I think it's a GOOD THING that Bury have gone.

I feel for the fans, and as a life-long Newport County fan, I sympathise.

My own NCAFC went out of the league and bust, but came back in The Hellenic League
and slowly but surely worked their way back up.

Since their demise Newport have twice been to Wembley (FA Trophy [lost] and National
League Play-offs - WON)... They have beaten Leeds, Leicester and Middlesboro in the FA Cup
and had a great game v Man City until shipping three goals in the last five minutes.

Instead or being (almost) perennial strugglers, by dropping out, dropping down
and re-starting (with a far sounder idea of financing) they have experienced a fair
few promotion seasons, and not a little praise.

The Newport fan-base is more committed, more a part of the club, has raised funds etc etc,
has its "Amber Army" paying £5 a week to under-write finances.

BUT if you screw up financially, tough. The fact that it could have happened
to Reading (and might still happen one day) is IRRELEVANT. We can't keep bailing clubs
out because of history, tradition, or a few logistic issues like recording sham 3-0 wins
agains a non-existent opponent (or having one less opponent for one season)

IMO we need more brutality so that owners are less likely to think
they are bound to be saved "because"

I wish Bury all the very best. Expect them to reform as Bury 2019 and begin
the long climb back. The fans will be quickly converted and far happier when
they discover they are now a BIG club, probably the biggest at their level.

They will start winning a lot more games, will be at the top of their leagues
until they reach The National, which, IMO is these days a very decent level.

Then the really hard work will start, but there is no reason why, in 7-12 years time
they can't be a Football League side again

elrey

by elrey » 31 Aug 2019 04:35

I think the thing here is about FOOTBALL.

Bury are part of what makes football in the UK. Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc are all part of the international jetsetting multi-billion pound industry that has taken over from real football.

You have Chinese people supporting these teams for christ's sake.

Bury are part of something different.

Go to Spain, within Spanish Spain everyone supports either Barca or Real with a few exceptions. I'd assume some are now supporting Atletico. When I lived there, there was one guy "in the family" (not my family) who supported them, everyone else supported Real when it suited them. The local club was on its knees. No one cared, no one went to watch them. It was only ever about Real and Barca. Local football was just a means to an end, ending up playing for Barca or Real.

Sad, very sad.

So you don't have to have a minutes silence for Bury, have one for the destruction of football.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Aug 2019 05:55

elrey I think the thing here is about FOOTBALL.

Bury are part of what makes football in the UK. Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc are all part of the international jetsetting multi-billion pound industry that has taken over from real football.

Go to Spain, within Spanish Spain everyone supports either Barca or Real with a few exceptions. I'd assume some are now supporting Atletico. When I lived there, there was one guy "in the family" (not my family) who supported them, everyone else supported Real when it suited them. The local club was on its knees. No one cared, no one went to watch them. It was only ever about Real and Barca. Local football was just a means to an end, ending up playing for Barca or Real.

Sad, very sad.

So you don't have to have a minutes silence for Bury, have one for the destruction of football.

Clubs have always gone bust. Owners (and to some extent, fans) have
to find ways to NOT go bust

Bury
Newport County
Rushden & Diamonds
Scarborough Town
Kettering
Darlington
New Brighton Tower
Bradford Park Avenue
Accrington
Accrington Stanley
Halifax Town
Wigan Borough
Stalybridge Celtic
Middleborough Ironopolis
Maidstone United
Leeds City
Darwin
Aldershot

There are as many clubs that fell out of the league system by relegation
or failure to be re-elected, and drifted off into near-obscurity

I was talking, yesterday, to a guy from Llanelli about the once big-deal club
who beat Spurs and once went through all the preliminary rounds and eventually to
the third round of the FA Cup.

It's life, things change

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Aug 2019 06:27

mikey0406 This will get shot down in flames but with this system I would be considering Gunts on the bench. Would fit in a 3 at the back and more than competent in filling the wing back positions.

I'd consider him, but we have strength in depth at the back. I'm sure Gunter would do a good job because he was very reliable, but if Gomes is more interested in Obita/Blackett/Howe then they should be ahead of him.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 31 Aug 2019 08:29

Snowball
elrey I think the thing here is about FOOTBALL.

Sad, very sad.

Clubs have always gone bust. Owners (and to some extent, fans) have
to find ways to NOT go bust

Bury
Newport County
Rushden & Diamonds
Scarborough Town
Kettering
Darlington
New Brighton Tower
Bradford Park Avenue
Accrington
Accrington Stanley
Halifax Town
Wigan Borough
Stalybridge Celtic
Middleborough Ironopolis
Maidstone United
Leeds City
Darwin
Aldershot

There are as many clubs that fell out of the league system by relegation
or failure to be re-elected, and drifted off into near-obscurity

I was talking, yesterday, to a guy from Llanelli about the once big-deal club
who beat Spurs and once went through all the preliminary rounds and eventually to
the third round of the FA Cup.

It's life, things change

I agree. We shouldn't be applauding this. It's a kick in the teeth yes but it happens. There is no point clapping in this minute for Anything other then our own team on the pitch.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2019 08:40

Snowball Personally I think it's a GOOD THING that Bury have gone.

My own NCAFC went out of the league and bust, but came back in The Hellenic League

Since their demise Newport have twice been to Wembley (FA Trophy [lost] and National
League Play-offs - WON)... They have beaten Leeds, Leicester and Middlesboro in the FA Cup
and had a great game v Man City until shipping three goals in the last five minutes.

and re-starting (with a far sounder idea of financing) they have experienced a fair

The Newport fan-base is more committed, more a part of the club, has raised funds etc etc,

to Reading (and might still happen one day) is IRRELEVANT. We can't keep bailing clubs
out because of history, tradition, or a few logistic issues like recording sham 3-0 wins

Then the really hard work will start, but there is no reason why, in 7-12 years time

This is all exactly right. But it doesn't mean that it isn't also right for all football fans to unite and show a gesture of empathy and solidarity to what is a (right and necessary) tragedy. A tragedy that may still bring new joy and achievement, but a tragedy still.

And at the very least, remember how shit the close season is with no Reading games, and then imagine it stretched to 11 months now for Bury fans. Having already gone over three months.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 31 Aug 2019 08:53

Snowflake Royal
Snowball Personally I think it's a GOOD THING that Bury have gone.

This is all exactly right. But it doesn't mean that it isn't also right for all football fans to unite and show a gesture of empathy and solidarity to what is a (right and necessary) tragedy. A tragedy that may still bring new joy and achievement, but a tragedy still.

And at the very least, remember how shit the close season is with no Reading games, and then imagine it stretched to 11 months now for Bury fans. Having already gone over three months.

9/11 was a tragedy. Syria is a tragedy. Bombings and natural disasters are a tragedy.

I'm sorry but calling a football team going out of business is not a tragedy and calling it that when it is due to the pfuckery of the owner is disrespectful

Its unfortunate and sad yes. Its a part of business these days.

Tragedy? no. Get a grip.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2019 08:56

It's simple really. Do you have empathy for your fellow football fan?

Yes - join in and support them.
No - don't.

202 posts