Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h) sponsored by Dave Shipperley

by Sutekh » 27 Aug 2019 21:05

When : Saturday 31st August 2019, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161
First time visit? : https://www.footballgroundmap.com/groun ... um/reading

The new hope that is Reading FC faces its next challenge in the shape of Lee Bowyer's current high flyers, Charlton Athletic.

Charlton have had their troubles in recent years but all that seems to have quietly been swept under the carpet by their fans as they are going through a period of resurgence having now returned to the Championship after a short spell down below.

The Addicks have had a bright start and are yet to taste a league defeat after wins over Brentford, Stoke, Blackburn and draws with Forest and Barnsley so they are going to be reasonably confident they have what it takes to survive at this level at the very least if not cause a few surprises along the way so this game is not going to be any easier for Reading than any other game in the division. They also have scored at least once in every league game but have only kept one clean sheet.

Charlton have a lively forward line with Lyle Taylor catching the eye of many clubs, Tomer Hemed just getting up to match speed and there are a couple of really bright clever little midfielders in Conor Gallagher (loan from Chelsea) and Jonny Williams who seems to be a particular key to the way they play.

Reading have a doubt over Miazga with a likely hamstring injury, Blackett is not expected to be involved until after the international break. However Obita could get a place on the bench after his return at Plymouth.

And so will endeth an action packed August before the prime ridiculousness that will be September which sees just 3 league games (visits to 'boro and Swansea sandwiching a quick hello from Blackburn) in 4 weeks on the schedule.

Referee

A newbie for this one though an experienced ref down under. The first foreign referee appointed to the league list, Jarred Gillet, is very experienced in the Australian A-League. He is over in this country to study at Liverpool John Moores university and has been able to continue his refereeing by being accepted into select group 2. He has also refereed on the international stage, including several world cup qualifiers. He is also well used to multicultural games having refereed in the Japanese J-League, Indian Super League, Saudi Professional League and Chinese Super League. Not that it matters for this game but he was also one of the world's first VAR referees.

Historically

This season will be 20th league season shared with Charlton which means this game will be the 20th time Charlton Athletic have wafted over to Reading for a league game.

The previous 19 games played between the two team in Reading have resulted in 10 home wins to 3 away wins so it would appear Reading have good edge over their London rivals in this one. The last three games have all ended 1-0 (2 wins to Reading and 1 to Charlton).

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
Last edited by Sutekh on 29 Aug 2019 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h) sponsored by Dave Shipperley

by The Enfield Royal71 » 27 Aug 2019 21:51

keep lyle taylor quiet and we could really do them

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 27 Aug 2019 21:54

I can't see either team not scoring, so hoping that our rested first-teamers are up for the challenge. This has all the hallmarks of a fantastic game with two teams in good form, so I'd take a draw right now but think we could pip it.

EDIT **As ever, thanks for a great pre-view.**

krapmle

by krapmle » 27 Aug 2019 21:54

big test, really looking forward to this

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Aug 2019 22:09

--------------------Rafael
-----Moore---Morrison---McIntyre
Yiadom-----------------------------Richards
---------------------Pele
---------------Swift----Ejaria
--------------Joao------Puşcaş

Virginia
Miazga
Obita
Rinomhota
Barrett
Meite
Boye/Loader/Olise

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Aug 2019 22:11

Yeah basically that. Tough to pick that subs bench atm, plenty out their hand up at Plymouth

First 11 less difficult to choose. Maybe Miazga for McIntyre but not that bothered if Miazga isn’t 100%

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Aug 2019 23:13

Careful everyone, the Charlton fans are reading our comments and have taken a few of the negative ones to dissect :lol:

FYI for the Addicks looking in, yes I made the comment about Bolton being 3rd after 5 games, they even beat us, it was more stating that it's too early to judge the league table, after all eventual champions Norwich had a terrible start.

I won't deny we're probably getting a touch over-excited and that probably explains some of the arrogance but hopefully it will be a good game and I have time for Charlton, usually do great ticket prices as well.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Aug 2019 23:15

NewCorkSeth --------------------Rafael
-----Moore---Morrison---McIntyre
Yiadom-----------------------------Richards
---------------------Pele
---------------Swift----Ejaria
--------------Joao------Puşcaş

Virginia
Miazga
Obita
Rinomhota
Barrett
Meite
Boye/Loader/Olise

I think Miazga will start ahead of McIntyre if fit otherwise agree with the side. The bench is mighty strong, I do feel for Baldock.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 27 Aug 2019 23:16

tidus_mi2 Careful everyone, the Charlton fans are reading our comments and have taken a few of the negative ones to dissect :lol:

FYI for the Addicks looking in, yes I made the comment about Bolton being 3rd after 5 games, they even beat us, it was more stating that it's too early to judge the league table, after all eventual champions Norwich had a terrible start.

I won't deny we're probably getting a touch over-excited and that probably explains some of the arrogance but hopefully it will be a good game and I have time for Charlton, usually do great ticket prices as well.

It is probably that snitch WoodleyRoyal working undercover.

Never understood why people would sign up on another teams forum. Its sad enough signing up on your own teams one.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Aug 2019 23:19

tidus_mi2 Careful everyone, the Charlton fans are reading our comments and have taken a few of the negative ones to dissect :lol:

Charlton are a well respected club on this messageboard but I think they are over-achieving at the moment. I think we will beat them on Saturday.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Aug 2019 23:33

How do Charlton line-up formation wise?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 27 Aug 2019 23:54

They have some good points on their forum tbh:

"Reading has got the dirtiest KFC I've ever seen, that dirty that I walked straight past "

"It had the same greasy hand marks and tomato sauce splatters over the windows for the whole 2 weeks I worked there."

"I've always stood by the old adage to judge a football in by it's local KFC, and the one in Reading is oxf*rd shit"

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Aug 2019 00:04

The Enfield Royal71 They have some good points on their forum tbh:

"Reading has got the dirtiest KFC I've ever seen, that dirty that I walked straight past "

"It had the same greasy hand marks and tomato sauce splatters over the windows for the whole 2 weeks I worked there."

"I've always stood by the old adage to judge a football in by it's local KFC, and the one in Reading is oxf*rd shit"

Never been to the Reading KFC so I couldn't possibly comment.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 28 Aug 2019 00:04

I'm always a fan of more southern sides in the league, but can't realistically see them coming above mid table. They've had a relatively easy start to their campaign, but come up against Leeds, Swansea, Fulham, Derby, Bristol, WBA, Preston in a row (1, 2, 5, 4, 8, 6), which is the sort of run that can completely destroy any sense of momentum to leave them floundering for the rest of the year.

We've got no significant injury concerns (McIntyre can come in for Miazga), a clearly better match day squad, and are at home so should go up by a couple of goals. Providing Swift and Ejaria dominate the midfield by as much as the quality gap between them and their opponents would suggest it could be a fun game. They've got a lovely crossing game with some players who are excellent at making space in the mix so it'll be interesting to see how 3M deal with it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Aug 2019 00:54

Lower West How do Charlton line-up formation wise?

They've played a 4-1-2-1-2 (4-4-2 diamond) formation in recent weeks. Taylor is a top striker and they've recently signed Hemed which isn't a bad signing

Team is obvious apart from Miazga/McIntyre. Bench will be interesting though. Bench against Huddersfield was Virginia, McIntyre, Adam, Rino, Barrett, Loader and Puscas. If Obita and Meite come in, wonder who will drop out

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Aug 2019 06:58

URZZZZ

They've played a 4-1-2-1-2 (4-4-2 diamond) formation in recent weeks. Taylor is a top striker and they've recently signed Hemed which isn't a bad signing

Team is obvious apart from Miazga/McIntyre. Bench will be interesting though. Bench against Huddersfield was Virginia, McIntyre, Adam, Rino, Barrett, Loader and Puscas. If Obita and Meite come in, wonder who will drop out

Adam goes for Obita
Loader goes for Meite
None of the others are droppable from the squad. Puscas simply has to be there, Barrett and Meite just scored 2 apiece, Rino is our current POTS. IT’s a stupidly strong bench and Olise doesn’t even get a place.
If McIntyre plays we’re a bit short of a centre back for the bench though....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2019 06:58

I think if Mazga was fit to play McIntyre would have played against Plymouth last night.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Aug 2019 07:05

No point risking Miazga. Maybe on the bench as cover but let him recover

Likewise I’d almost like to find a space for Baldock in the bench - just offers that something a little different and could work well with Joao. But we’ve such a lot of players who could all have claim to a spot in the squad

Goes without saying really, but huge shout to José and the team for the turnaround. A year ago we were throwing players in hoping for the best and now we’ve a strong vibrant squad of 20 all deserving of a game

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Aug 2019 07:49

Nameless
URZZZZ

Adam goes for Obita
Loader goes for Meite
None of the others are droppable from the squad. Puscas simply has to be there, Barrett and Meite just scored 2 apiece, Rino is our current POTS. IT’s a stupidly strong bench and Olise doesn’t even get a place.
If McIntyre plays we’re a bit short of a centre back for the bench though....

Yeah, you’re probably right. Adds further complications when Blackett is back but that’s implying we won’t have someone else injured...

If we have no fit CB’s for Saturday though, I suppose Rino could be the backup, pushing Yiadom to CB and Rino to WB. Not ideal, but a solution
Last edited by URZZZZ on 28 Aug 2019 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Aug 2019 07:51

Hound No point risking Miazga. Maybe on the bench as cover but let him recover

Likewise I’d almost like to find a space for Baldock in the bench - just offers that something a little different and could work well with Joao. But we’ve such a lot of players who could all have claim to a spot in the squad

Goes without saying really, but huge shout to José and the team for the turnaround. A year ago we were throwing players in hoping for the best and now we’ve a strong vibrant squad of 20 all deserving of a game

Agreed with Baldock. Should certainly be ahead of Loader in the pecking order but considering he wasn’t to be seen even with Meite injured (and Sheffield Wednesday without Puscas, Joao or Boye), find it unlikely

202 posts