BFTG - Plymouth (A)

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Plymouth (A)

by Westwood52 » 28 Aug 2019 14:05

I get the Meite love in,and he works really hard to be effective.
However yet again that was a poor penalty last night,and he was lucky their goalie jumped out of the way.

As of last night I am not really concerned about who takes the penalties,but a tight league game is another matter entirely.

I don’t agree that whoever wins the penalty takes it.
Unless their off the pitch ,the designated penalty taker should always take them,until he misses one !If their off the pitch one of the backroom staff,should shout instructions as to who the pen taker is to be,based on a predesignated rota, depending who is on the pitch at the time.

Granted however that even Man U completely cock something like this up.

I suspect Swift (despite his c**p corners ) is number one,with Puskas,Jao and Boyse following on.Not necessarily in that order.Dont know about Ejaria.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 28 Aug 2019 14:12

A game of 2 halves.

1st half we were poor, naive, weak and Plymouth looked like a half decent side. Thought we should have been behind at half time. The first goal shouldn't have stood though! It was a good foot over the line when it was kicked back into play.

2nd half we played much better. Slicker passes through their defence and I think although we deserved to win, 4-2 slightly flattered us but we got the job done. I was shocked Virginia wasn't in goal. I don't see any point in him being here if he isn't going to play cup games.

Barrett really impressed me. Thrilled to see Obita back in a Reading shirt. Most of the players played ok. Olise was slightly disappointing but he'll improve with more first team minutes! He'll be one hell of a player when he bulkens up a bit.

Oxford home or away in the next round please!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 Aug 2019 14:20

CountryRoyal One other comment about the game; is anyone else slightly concerned about Gomes’ keenness on going defensive?
Not when we're scoring goals at the other end.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Aug 2019 14:28

Westwood52 I get the Meite love in,and he works really hard to be effective.
However yet again that was a poor penalty last night,and he was lucky their goalie jumped out of the way.

As of last night I am not really concerned about who takes the penalties,but a tight league game is another matter entirely.

Unless their off the pitch ,the designated penalty taker should always take them,until he misses one !If their off the pitch one of the backroom staff,should shout instructions as to who the pen taker is to be,based on a predesignated rota, depending who is on the pitch at the time.

I suspect Swift (despite his c**p corners ) is number one,with Puskas,Jao and Boyse following on.Not necessarily in that order.Dont know about Ejaria.

Couple of things here...

1) A lot of players score penalties that are very similar to YM's last night. It went in, doesn't matter how. The 'keeper didn't "jump out of the way" he dived the wrong way.
2) I don't think it is whoever wins the penalty takes it... YM didn't win the one against Cardiff.
3) The backroom staff shouldn't decide who takes the penalty, it is down to the players.
4) Swift's crap corners? Just like the one on Saturday for MM goal?
5) It is oxf*rd they're not their.
6) It is Joao
7) It is Boye

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 Aug 2019 14:41

CountryRoyal
2 world wars, 1 world cup Too early to tell obviously, but any signs Obita will be able to challenge Richards?

It'll be interesting if/when he does come back to full fitness.

Absolutely. He’s the best left back we have at the club and without doing anything spectacular just showed a couple of glimpses of quality. He’s still a while off yet, I don’t think Plymouth did their homework because they should have targeted him more - I know that’s what I’d be saying if I was an opposition manager. It was a really nice introduction for him.

In addition, Richards has done nothing to deserve being dropped and the spot is his to lose. I’d look to gradually introduce Obita, bring him on as a slightly defensive sub in games and push Richards further up as a winger/LM.

One other comment about the game; is anyone else slightly concerned about Gomes’ keenness on going defensive? I know there was reference to it about a few games where we’ve surrendered a lead. Not a biggy but I wasn’t so sure bringing on Morrison was necessary. The game didn’t have a feel that we were under loads of pressure at that time and unless you absolutely need an extra man back in the box all you do is sacrifice numbers and control in the middle of the park. It’s not the end of the world but it’s just an observation I have.

if it is part of a change in formation its fine by me,
and shoring up defence can enable more forward play in some cases.
so for me, it depends

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Aug 2019 14:45

Who do they play for and are they any relation to Puscas, Joao and Boye?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Aug 2019 15:15

sandman

Who do they play for and are they any relation to Puscas, Joao and Boye?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 28 Aug 2019 15:30

I would say Pele should take pens

https://youtu.be/oJgOzvEgBBM?t=30

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 28 Aug 2019 16:52

Oilroyal I would say Pele should take pens

I agree

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2019 21:57

Royal Rother Since when did reasoning with Neanderthals that they should tone down their behaviour seem like a sensible thing for a bloke with his 7 year old daughter to do?

Ridiculous suggestion.

Got to play it by ear. Sometimes it's the right thing to. Sometimes it isn't. But the whole "why should I have to move" and enduring a terrible time without doing anything about it would be idiotic.

There are plenty of options:
- Move
- Speak to him direct
- Talk to a steward

//
Sorry you had a bad time dude. Sometimes you just get unlucky and get arseholes near you. You just have to deal with it in some way.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Aug 2019 22:20

genome
Hendo I ran down the stairs at Home Park when Doyle made it 0-2 back in 05/06 :D

Randomly, the only time I've ever ran down the stairs for a goal was when Nicky Forster scored to make it 2-1 at home to Peterborough in 2002 (we still ended up drawing).

It was that game with the Phil Whitehead howler from a free kick, where he caught it and basically decided to throw it in the net.

Feel a new thread coming on.

I bra. Down the steps twice and in the same game. And don’t care one iota.

Cue, saints away and le fondre. I went mental. Often watch it on you tube and me legging it and will watch it now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Aug 2019 22:37

7 penalties, looked to be 2 down the middle and 5 to the keeper’s left.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 28 Aug 2019 23:15

notloyalenuffroyal
John Smith From the photos I saw there were plenty of spare seats elsewhere - why didn't you move?

Because he shouldn't have to and his 7 year old daughter was scared. She'd have wanted to get away from the rude big man, and all that she now associates football with, a game her dad has built her up to going to, is this obnoxious twozzak!

What is it with these people? Watch the highlights and you see a ridiculous number of numpties running down the stairs when we score our fourth like we had won the cup. Calm down, people. Try and control your legs. No wonder the Plymouth fans thought it was a bit ott.

It's a really sad day when a kid can't sit at the front at football without being scared. It wouldn't have happened at Elm Park with the kids sat on the wall, so grow up you muppets and think of others.

I - and I suspect several other silver foxes on here - was that kid sat on the wall at the front of the SB.

Without wishing to be 'holier than tho', one can understand the adrenaline rush - I had bruising for weeks after Barrow (formerly of this parish) showed sleight of foot to ease in the winner at Ipswich and I ran to the front and smacked the top of the roofing at the front and probably uttered a few choice words.

However, as a father of three now late teenage daughters, I'd like to think I was aware of who was around me and if my actions were appropriate.

I'm so bloomin' old I had to ask my youngest spawn what the words were for some of the ditties at the Hawthorns last week. Despite her eye rolling, she managed to teach me.

And I notice that 1871 has had to move it's flag to the back rows to stop the young'uns shuffling across to an expanse of blue netting.... until they learn.

It's not hard to demonstrate passion but there's a time and a place, lads.

Here endeth the lesson.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 29 Aug 2019 00:24

Dick Habbin's hairdo
I - and I suspect several other silver foxes on here - was that kid sat on the wall at the front of the SB.

Without wishing to be 'holier than tho', one can understand the adrenaline rush - I had bruising for weeks after Barrow (formerly of this parish) showed sleight of foot to ease in the winner at Ipswich and I ran to the front and smacked the top of the roofing at the front and probably uttered a few choice words.

However, as a father of three now late teenage daughters, I'd like to think I was aware of who was around me and if my actions were appropriate.

I'm so bloomin' old I had to ask my youngest spawn what the words were for some of the ditties at the Hawthorns last week. Despite her eye rolling, she managed to teach me.

And I notice that 1871 has had to move it's flag to the back rows to stop the young'uns shuffling across to an expanse of blue netting.... until they learn.

It's not hard to demonstrate passion but there's a time and a place, lads.

Here endeth the lesson.

So with you despite my seeming moaning. Of course there are those Barrow moments, but a Meite penalty, with all of the tiresome build up and prevarication that accompanies every penalty and a fourth on the counter-attack to put us 2 clear of a team in a lower division aren't those moments. These are hoodlum-banshee Justin Beiber wannabe-fans, trying to tear his pants off after a particularly fine episode of Beiber Bones Bagpuss on the Disney Channel, or something similar. There is just no need. If they want to practice stair running, become a chuffing steward.

No idea why this has got my goat so much. I just can't watch highlights of every away game with a train off "lads" running down the stairs after half a lager shandy and red bull chaser.

Urghhhh.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 Aug 2019 06:30

Not my intention to take over this thread. It was more for the prick who sat next to me, and the off chance he reads this, it might change is behaviour going forward.

Thank you to those who offered support it was just bad luck I guess, the next game I take her to will be in the family zone at the mad stad, should be a nicer experience for her.

The blokes mrs obviously saw my daughter was uncomfortable as she swapped seats with him half way through the second half. For those who say I should have challenged him. I wasn’t prepared to get into an argument with him, not in front of my daughter anyway. There would be the inevitable ‘ not being funny mate but why the oxf*rd would you bring your daughter to an away game I have a right to shout and swear as much as the next man’.

To answer the question of why not move as there was plenty more seats at the front? I agree with most I shouldn’t have to I would expect the prick to have enough brain cells to realise his surroundings. However I must point out the reason for the empty seats at the bottom was because it was pissing with rain and had we sat in the first few rows we would have got soaked. We had no where else to go.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 29 Aug 2019 07:33

WoodleyRoyal Not my intention to take over this thread. It was more for the prick who sat next to me, and the off chance he reads this, it might change is behaviour going forward.

Thank you to those who offered support it was just bad luck I guess, the next game I take her to will be in the family zone at the mad stad, should be a nicer experience for her.

The blokes mrs obviously saw my daughter was uncomfortable as she swapped seats with him half way through the second half. For those who say I should have challenged him. I wasn’t prepared to get into an argument with him, not in front of my daughter anyway. There would be the inevitable ‘ not being funny mate but why the oxf*rd would you bring your daughter to an away game I have a right to shout and swear as much as the next man’.

To answer the question of why not move as there was plenty more seats at the front? I agree with most I shouldn’t have to I would expect the prick to have enough brain cells to realise his surroundings. However I must point out the reason for the empty seats at the bottom was because it was pissing with rain and had we sat in the first few rows we would have got soaked. We had no where else to go.

Why didn't you snitch to a Stewart?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 29 Aug 2019 08:01

Sutekh

7 penalties, looked to be 2 down the middle and 5 to the keeper’s left.

I know but it’s his technique that cheats the keeper allowing him to put the ball wherever he wants, and he makes it look easy. Charlton’s No9 Taylor uses the same technique, did it against Barnsley for their pen.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Aug 2019 08:09

Hiram K Hackenbacker

I agree
+1 from me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17E6M7OG38o

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 29 Aug 2019 08:59

I like John Akinde penalty technique. Just super slow walk up.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Aug 2019 09:16

What an utter trainwreck of a post.