BFTG - Plymouth (A)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Plymouth (A)

by CountryRoyal » 28 Aug 2019 01:43

That was an enjoyable evening and well worth the 350 mile round trip! Thought the kids looked ok for the most part but lacked a bit of quality and cutting edge. Don't think either team deserved to score in the first time though Walker had to be alive to a few crosses early on. Don't know what to even say about either of their goals. Utterly baffling how a "team" of officials can award that first one. The ball is so far over the line it might as well be in the car park. Our lot didn't even initially protest that much because they assumed it would obviously be given as a goal kick! We didn't deserve to be trailing and fair play to everyone for continuing and well taken goal by Barrett. Their second goal was a clear foul on Olise, the defender went right through the back of him. Questionable defending from us though afterwards and Walker should have done better imho. Huge shout to Josh Barrett who was very good and MOTM and of course Jordan Obita, so good to see him back!

Walker 6 - Delt with most things fairly comfortably, however I felt she should have gotten down a bit quicker to the goal and his kicking is a bit poo.

Howe 6 - A lot of toil and a decent display but lacked a physical presence.

Osho 6 - A couple of interesting moments but did fairly well.

Odimayo 6 - Definition of no nonsense... Tbh for debut its better to not take any risks but would have preferred to see a bit of finesse, too often chose to clear into touch when he had time to control, find a teammate and keep possession. Still though, solid enough.

Obita 6 - Buzzing to see him get a full competetive game under his belt. Wasn't involved a huge amount, which is for the best at this stage, but showed glimpses of what he was about. Would have gone mad if that shot had gone in!

Olise 4 - No real impact, didn't manage to do what he does best but was kicked about and offered no protection from the ref.

Loader 5 - Typical loader performance, looks tidy on the ball but no telling contributions. Still too negative for me.

Rinomhota 7 - Some good driving runs and accurate, smart, if a little safe, passing.

Adam 6 - For the most part he does what he does quite well. More of his hollywood pings came off today, some really good cross field balls and one or really teasing deliveries into the box. He's still too immobile in midfield for our style of play though but fine for the cup.

Barrett 9 - Shows so much willingness and energy and effort. Like the quick style of play, sometimes it doesn't always work out like the first time cross which he sliced...etc but too often we'be bemoaned players slowing it down so I won't complain one bit. Really well taken goals and you can see how much it means to him.

Meite 8 - Always a willing runner and put himself about (cliche alert) but felt as a senior player he should have taken a bit more responsibility and taken the game to Plymouth a bit more. Didn't get much service in fairness and once Boye came on he scored two goals. Well taken penalty and was threatening to get on the end of a through ball all evening but the quality wasn't quite there.

Subs
----------

Baldock 5

Boye 8 - Changed the game when he came on, provided that bit of attacking quality that our young inexperienced team lacked on the night.

Morrison N/A

Well done to all those who traveled, decent turnout for a midweek cup game in France.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Plymouth (A)

by CountryRoyal » 28 Aug 2019 01:49

I just looked at JLow's ratings and I have 9 the same as him.

Can I change please????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 28 Aug 2019 06:39

The Plymouth fans on Twitter don’t seem to have taken the result too well, apparently we’re a ‘weird’ fan base for celebrating a victory against a League 2 team.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 28 Aug 2019 06:52

CountryRoyal That was an enjoyable evening and well worth the 350 mile round trip! Thought the kids looked ok for the most part but lacked a bit of quality and cutting edge. Don't think either team deserved to score in the first time though Walker had to be alive to a few crosses early on. Don't know what to even say about either of their goals. Utterly baffling how a "team" of officials can award that first one. The ball is so far over the line it might as well be in the car park. Our lot didn't even initially protest that much because they assumed it would obviously be given as a goal kick! We didn't deserve to be trailing and fair play to everyone for continuing and well taken goal by Barrett. Their second goal was a clear foul on Olise, the defender went right through the back of him. Questionable defending from us though afterwards and Walker should have done better imho. Huge shout to Josh Barrett who was very good and MOTM and of course Jordan Obita, so good to see him back!

Walker 6 - Delt with most things fairly comfortably, however I felt she should have gotten down a bit quicker to the goal and his kicking is a bit poo.

Howe 6 - A lot of toil and a decent display but lacked a physical presence.

Osho 6 - A couple of interesting moments but did fairly well.

Odimayo 6 - Definition of no nonsense... Tbh for debut its better to not take any risks but would have preferred to see a bit of finesse, too often chose to clear into touch when he had time to control, find a teammate and keep possession. Still though, solid enough.

Obita 6 - Buzzing to see him get a full competetive game under his belt. Wasn't involved a huge amount, which is for the best at this stage, but showed glimpses of what he was about. Would have gone mad if that shot had gone in!

Olise 4 - No real impact, didn't manage to do what he does best but was kicked about and offered no protection from the ref.

Loader 5 - Typical loader performance, looks tidy on the ball but no telling contributions. Still too negative for me.

Rinomhota 7 - Some good driving runs and accurate, smart, if a little safe, passing.

Adam 6 - For the most part he does what he does quite well. More of his hollywood pings came off today, some really good cross field balls and one or really teasing deliveries into the box. He's still too immobile in midfield for our style of play though but fine for the cup.

Barrett 9 - Shows so much willingness and energy and effort. Like the quick style of play, sometimes it doesn't always work out like the first time cross which he sliced...etc but too often we'be bemoaned players slowing it down so I won't complain one bit. Really well taken goals and you can see how much it means to him.

Meite 8 - Always a willing runner and put himself about (cliche alert) but felt as a senior player he should have taken a bit more responsibility and taken the game to Plymouth a bit more. Didn't get much service in fairness and once Boye came on he scored two goals. Well taken penalty and was threatening to get on the end of a through ball all evening but the quality wasn't quite there.

Subs
----------

Baldock 5

Boye 8 - Changed the game when he came on, provided that bit of attacking quality that our young inexperienced team lacked on the night.

Morrison N/A

Well done to all those who traveled, decent turnout for a midweek cup game in France.

Bit harsh on Baldock - nice unselfish pass to set up the 4th ... don't think Meite would have done that in those circumstances.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Aug 2019 07:02

Thanks for the (cheerful) report CR. Shame Olise didn’t have a better game but otherwise seems positive

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Aug 2019 07:34

Too early to tell obviously, but any signs Obita will be able to challenge Richards?

It'll be interesting if/when he does come back to full fitness.

Esteban

by Esteban » 28 Aug 2019 07:49

2 world wars, 1 world cup Too early to tell obviously, but any signs Obita will be able to challenge Richards?

It's such a difficult call to make, isn't it. I would love to see him on the bench as soon as possible, maybe even Saturday, but we have to be so careful with him. Could be October before we see him really pushing Richards, given the international break.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Aug 2019 08:58

2 world wars, 1 world cup Too early to tell obviously, but any signs Obita will be able to challenge Richards?

Absolutely. He’s the best left back we have at the club and without doing anything spectacular just showed a couple of glimpses of quality. He’s still a while off yet, I don’t think Plymouth did their homework because they should have targeted him more - I know that’s what I’d be saying if I was an opposition manager. It was a really nice introduction for him.

In addition, Richards has done nothing to deserve being dropped and the spot is his to lose. I’d look to gradually introduce Obita, bring him on as a slightly defensive sub in games and push Richards further up as a winger/LM.

One other comment about the game; is anyone else slightly concerned about Gomes’ keenness on going defensive? I know there was reference to it about a few games where we’ve surrendered a lead. Not a biggy but I wasn’t so sure bringing on Morrison was necessary. The game didn’t have a feel that we were under loads of pressure at that time and unless you absolutely need an extra man back in the box all you do is sacrifice numbers and control in the middle of the park. It’s not the end of the world but it’s just an observation I have.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Aug 2019 09:03

Richard ls playing very well. Yesterday was Obita's first competitive appearance in 22 months. The shirt is Richards' to lose, and even if his form drops I think Obita needs another month of U23 and cup appearances.

With the new formation, Blackett is surely a CB option? Out of the equation at LWB

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Aug 2019 09:08

WestYorksRoyal Richard ls playing very well. Yesterday was Obita's first competitive appearance in 22 months. The shirt is Richards' to lose, and even if his form drops I think Obita needs another month of U23 and cup appearances.

With the new formation, Blackett is surely a CB option? Out of the equation at LWB

Wouldn't say so. Blackett is a decent attacker so could do really well in the current system. The added protection 3 CBs would give him would help cut out his weaknesses too.

Obviously hes available to play CB too but it was telling last year that Yiadom was moved into CB instead of him when there was a switch around following a sub.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Aug 2019 09:09

Hound Thanks for the (cheerful) report CR. Shame Olise didn’t have a better game but otherwise seems positive

Yep definitely not his usual creative self which was a shame as he’s such an exciting player, but it’s easy to forget how young he is, same with Loader really. Think I only really remember one time Olise really went at his man and beat him in the box before getting a decent ball across. Loader is frustrating because you can see there is a player there, but it the final ball or cutting edge isn’t quite there. He loses the ball less this season, seems a bit stronger. His dribbling is good and he can get out of some tight situations but then far too often plays with his back to goal and then will pass backwards or sideways. As a creative player in midfield he’s got to be looking to go forward and play in people behind more and and then have the quality to do that. In contrast Barrett is always looking to play forward, it’s his first instinct. I know there’s a bit of debate about Loader’s best position and where and how to utilise him most effectively but he scores for fun in the u23s and I see him more as a striker, but for that he has to make those runs in behind and then have the composure in front of goal at this level. It will come - I just hope it’s with us. Oh that note, absolutely no signs of him being annoyed about still being here which is very good to see.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Aug 2019 09:10

yep Blackett for me now is a left sided CB. He isn't especially suited to the LWB position, but I always liked him as 1 of 3 CBs

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Aug 2019 09:12

We appear to be a club that are on the right path. A strong first team with a hungry, fit group of younger players behind them who are capable of doing a job when called upon. Think we are going to have a very good season.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Aug 2019 09:16

URZZZZZZZZ The Plymouth fans on Twitter don’t seem to have taken the result too well, apparently we’re a ‘weird’ fan base for celebrating a victory against a League 2 team.

They seemed a relatively inoffensive bunch. On Plymouth, I know it was a really young inexperienced team we put out and didn’t play especially amazingly for most of it, but I thought Plymouth played some decent stuff at times. Easy to forget they were League Two. Suspect they’ll do quite well this season but they’re probably a bit too big for that league anyway.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Aug 2019 09:55

URZZZZZZZZ The Plymouth fans on Twitter don’t seem to have taken the result too well, apparently we’re a ‘weird’ fan base for celebrating a victory against a League 2 team.

So just to establish.

If you don't create the right amount of noise and don't celebrate enough you're "Tinpot".

However, you can Celebrate too much and if you do you are "Tinpot" as well.

Think some of these other clubs fans need to write all these supporting guidelines down in a book or something.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Aug 2019 10:58

NewCorkSeth
WestYorksRoyal Richard ls playing very well. Yesterday was Obita's first competitive appearance in 22 months. The shirt is Richards' to lose, and even if his form drops I think Obita needs another month of U23 and cup appearances.

Wouldn't say so. Blackett is a decent attacker so could do really well in the current system. The added protection 3 CBs would give him would help cut out his weaknesses too.

Obviously hes available to play CB too but it was telling last year that Yiadom was moved into CB instead of him when there was a switch around following a sub.

He's also one of the best crossers of the ball we've got.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Aug 2019 11:11

Wing backs need to have the ability to dribble past a man. Yiadom can do it. Richards can do it. Obita can also do it. Blackett never really seems to be able to and has to rely on him receiving the ball in space to put a good cross in

It’s why when we used this formation under Stam with Gunter and Blackett as the wingbacks we didn’t create much (PO final being an obvious example) because there was nothing from either flank. Blackett needs to be the LCB in this formation and we can still utilise his crosses if he overlaps (as the two CB’s on the side do bomb on a bit)

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 28 Aug 2019 11:21

FOA the mahoosive cunt who sat next to me and my daughter at the front. If you are reading this then you need to take a long hard look at yourself you should be ashamed. Your behaviour and language around my 7 year old daughter was a disgrace. You scared her and we left early because of you. Her first football match and could quite possibly have been put off for life

I’m not naive enough to think that bad language and raucous behaviour wouldn’t be present. I stood on the south bank and had a season ticket in y24 for many a year. But should you oxf*rd oxf*rd at the top of your voice and slamming chairs and kicking stuff about when sat next to a 7 years is bang out of order. We deliberately sat at the front away from the pack to hopefully avoid this behaviour. Hang your head in shame.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 28 Aug 2019 11:30

Sorry m9.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Aug 2019 11:32

WoodleyRoyal FOA the mahoosive cunt who sat next to me and my daughter at the front. If you are reading this then you need to take a long hard look at yourself you should be ashamed. Your behaviour and language around my 7 year old daughter was a disgrace. You scared her and we left early because of you. Her first football match and could quite possibly have been put off for life

I’m not naive enough to think that bad language and raucous behaviour wouldn’t be present. I stood on the south bank and had a season ticket in y24 for many a year. But should you oxf*rd oxf*rd at the top of your voice and slamming chairs and kicking stuff about when sat next to a 7 years is bang out of order. We deliberately sat at the front away from the pack to hopefully avoid this behaviour. Hang your head in shame.

Did you ask him to stop?