180 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: BFTG - Charlton

by RoyalBlue » 01 Sep 2019 11:15

John Madejski's Wallet That wasn't good. Not at all

Actually, I have to say I enjoyed the first half. Was a really good half of 0-0, we could have had two and Charlton looked dangerous.

But boy did Bowyer suss us out. They dominated the whole of the second half. We were overrun in midfield and Puscas we beyond useless. João tried but his third touch was always overhit.

A bad game for Homes, leaving two tired and ineffective strikers and brining on Boye and Meite in the wings was a massive error, like someone had been playing champ manager last night. Charlton attacked at will and in the end we were very lucky to keep it to 2-0

Ejaria flattered to decieve all game and that pen was ok on him. Atrocious footballing decision to d*CK about in the position.

Oh and LOL at Raphael for being a nobhead and allowing their man the easiest pen he'll ever score

First half = enjoyable game of footy
Second half = utter crap

Before you have a go at Rafael for letting that penalty in I suggest you have a look at the footage on YouTube of our Pele taking penalties. He adopts exactly the same style and also leaves the keepers looking stupid. It’s not as easy as all the expert, non-goalkeeping, goalkeeper experts think!

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 01 Sep 2019 11:37

RoyalBlue

Actually, I have to say I enjoyed the first half. Was a really good half of 0-0, we could have had two and Charlton looked dangerous.

But boy did Bowyer suss us out. They dominated the whole of the second half. We were overrun in midfield and Puscas we beyond useless. João tried but his third touch was always overhit.

A bad game for Homes, leaving two tired and ineffective strikers and brining on Boye and Meite in the wings was a massive error, like someone had been playing champ manager last night. Charlton attacked at will and in the end we were very lucky to keep it to 2-0

Ejaria flattered to decieve all game and that pen was ok on him. Atrocious footballing decision to d*CK about in the position.

Oh and LOL at Raphael for being a nobhead and allowing their man the easiest pen he'll ever score

Second half = utter crap

Before you have a go at Rafael for letting that penalty in I suggest you have a look at the footage on YouTube of our Pele taking penalties. He adopts exactly the same style and also leaves the keepers looking stupid. It’s not as easy as all the expert, non-goalkeeping, goalkeeper experts think!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186250&start=60

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Sep 2019 11:42

Zip
StellaPlease I agree with 1871 but they were completely outsung today. Just jumping up and down and clapping. oxf*rd pathetic.

We were outplayed in the 2nd half by a better team and a better manager. Lee bowyer is going places. He is an absolutely brilliant manager and I wish him the best.

I have to say he got it spot on. They kept their shape superbly. Charlton were excellent in the second half. They took control right from the start.

I still maintain they were only good because we were bad. We just didn’t take the game to them at all, so often we had the ball around their box but tried to be too intricate, and not have a shot. The crossing was really poor too. They didn’t have to do a lot. A well organised league two side wouldn’t have conceded against us in the second half, we were woeful.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 01 Sep 2019 11:52

leon Was in the ED stand so had the opportunity to see his performance fairly closely second half. Was very surprised he wasn’t subbed.

Gomes decided to go for a more unconventional approach instead.

Which totally fcuked us.

Absolutely this. I saw Boyé and Meité getting ready to come on and assumed it would be a straight swap for the front two who were flagging, especially Joao. Gobsmacked when the wingbacks, who’d been our two best players, were hooked instead. Not sure it made a massive difference, yesterday just seemed like one of those games where we were never going to score, it happens.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 01 Sep 2019 11:53

Another thing on Rafael's penalty kick routine. I believe he will save a higher than average number of PKs through using it but will look an above average clown on most of the occasions when the player taking the penalty scores. Exactly the same can be said in reverse of Taylor's (and our Pele's) penalty taking technique of a slow walk up - very effective in most instances but they will look clowns when it goes wrong!

Let's remember few, if any fan's complained about Rafael's penalty kick routine when it worked so well for us at Wycombe. Rough with the smooth folks!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Sep 2019 11:55

Not sure what more I have to add. Really good first half just spoiled by our lack of goals, really poor second half.

Think the front two should be Puscas-Meite with Joao on the bench. Might bring Miazga in for Moore. Other than that I wouldn't make any changes, though I really miss having wingers.

Charlton were well organised in the second half and took their chances well. They marked Ejaria out of the game. Really nice side.

Thought McIntyre did fine, they targeted him but he didn't give any chances away. Moore on the other hand hasn't done it all season. Bring in Miazga and give Yiadom the armband. Morrison is doing very well. Pele is an effective water carrier but I'd like to see him offer a bit more defensively. Swift and Ejaria have both stepped up. Just need a consistent strike partnership and we'll be there.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 01 Sep 2019 11:55

Oilroyal
RoyalBlue

Second half = utter crap

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186250&start=60

Shame our coaches don't read HNA! We'll let Rafael off as he is only just now learning English!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 01 Sep 2019 12:00

Charlton played well and were really up for it. However, they are still riding high on the crest of the wave created by the way they won promotion. It will be interesting to see how they react after a couple of defeats that will inevitably come their way. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I don't think the majority of their players are as technically gifted and talented as most of ours. However, McDermott proved that reasonable talent, coupled with belief and fight will trump pure talent lacking those other aspects.

krapmle

by krapmle » 01 Sep 2019 12:10

doesn't matter who the opposition were, we weren't good enough.
When good the royals look exciting but this is not happening enough.

We still spend too much time out of games , chasing the ball, chasing play.
Our aim should be to win games, do that you need the ball and you need to score goals.

Would be nice to see opponents chasing the game and the ball more than they do at the moment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2019 12:16

leon
Snowflake Royal
leon
You’re right of course. It really is too early to form an opinion.

I was just watching him throughout the half and I was getting more and more pissed off with his quite obvious attitude.

It was concerning me during the first half, let alone the second.

Was in the ED stand so had the opportunity to see his performance fairly closely second half. Was very surprised he wasn’t subbed.

Gomes decided to go for a more unconventional approach instead.

Which totally fcuked us.

Yep. In the South so could see him well first half.

Gomes tried to throw the kitchen sink at it when a more conservative approach to regain control of midfield and give us a better presence upfront would have been better.

Meite for Joao and Rino for one of Pele, Swift or Ejaria would have been my preference.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Sep 2019 12:36

SCIAG Not sure what more I have to add. Really good first half just spoiled by our lack of goals, really poor second half.

Think the front two should be Puscas-Meite with Joao on the bench. Might bring Miazga in for Moore. Other than that I wouldn't make any changes, though I really miss having wingers.

Charlton were well organised in the second half and took their chances well. They marked Ejaria out of the game. Really nice side.

Thought McIntyre did fine, they targeted him but he didn't give any chances away. Moore on the other hand hasn't done it all season. Bring in Miazga and give Yiadom the armband. Morrison is doing very well. Pele is an effective water carrier but I'd like to see him offer a bit more defensively. Swift and Ejaria have both stepped up. Just need a consistent strike partnership and we'll be there.

All good points. Moore looks to have regressed - playing on the right side might’ve the issue?

Ejaria needs a bit more end product. the ball sticks to him he needs to release it a bit more dangerously. Swift has improved a lot including corners.

Second half we were just far too casual. Passing was sloppy and work rate dropped - especially up front who should have subbed. Instead were left on and the two that were giving us some momentum taken off. Ridiculous decision.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 01 Sep 2019 12:39

windermereROYAL That's what you expect from a team that have just come up. plenty of effort but not too much skill, saw it the saw way as most on here, not in any trouble at all the 1st half after the early scare, HT thinking it looked like a 1-0 either way.
Then the 2nd half we really didn`t turn up.
Rafael didn`t do much wrong, the pen was hilarious. 7
Yiadom, got forward well but delivery poor on a view occasions. 6
Richards likewise apart from the great cross where we hit the bar. 7
Moore, very poor on the right, up there with his worse showings for the club. 5
Morrison, I like him, held the back line together 7
MacIntyre found wanting a few times 2nd half be the lively Charlton front 3. 6
Pele. actually thought he did ok, a few driving forward runs in the 2nd but gave away the pen. 6
Ejaria decent first half with his bag of tricks faded with everyone else in the 2nd half 7
Swift the pick of the bunch semed on a different wave length to the rest of them. 8
Joao. no control, no effort, no nothing, we were warned about his attitude when he signed, i hope this was a one off. 3
Puscas, was it him that hit the bar? should have done better when shooting straigh at the keeper feeding on scraps in the 2nd half, always in the right position and prepared to have a dig. 6

And the Charlton fans were different gravy, hardly heard a peep from 1871.

Don't think Pele did give away a penalty. Quest replayed it with close up shots. Firstly their guy starts to fall as he turns Moore, gets a firm grip of Moore's shirt and doesn't let go, eventually ensuring both he and Moore fell to the ground. Their player falls to the ground between Moore and Pele and I'm pretty sure the ref couldn't have had a clear view so took something of a guess based on the circumstances. From the replay I'm not sure any part of Pele touched their player.

I don't think the relatively early, and IMO soft, yellow card helped Pele. It meant he had to hold back from challenges thereafter. Might have been better to substitute him when we started to lose the midfield in the second half , which resulted in Swift and Ejaria having to drop much deeper, nullifying a lot of our attacking threat.

Looking at the video, Puscas did really well to get anything on his effort that hit the bar, Quest rightly referring to it as a clever flick (shame they referred to him as being an 'Inter Milan loanee'!)

Agreed, Charlton the best and loudest fans we've seen in a long time - made the infamous Cardiff fans seem like Trappist Monks (and yes, I know they don't actually take a vow of silence)!

Very disappointing that the majority of Club 1871 stood in silence for the rest of the game once we went behind. Seemed to me that the North Stand did more to support the team at that point.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 01 Sep 2019 12:41

I thought the introduction of Meite and Barrett was to reshape into a more 4 4 2 with these two higher up the pitch in the hope of supplying Joao and Puscus from wide but I could be wrong

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2019 12:49

In fairness to Swift and Ejaria, we can't expect them to create and score goals every game. They've already got seven league goals and assists between the pair of them.

They'll blow people away when they've got space. But they'll get overrun at times if they're tightly marked and closed down. Which is what happened second half. Gomes needs to spot it and have a solution when it happens. He didn't against Charlton.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Sep 2019 13:09

leon
SCIAG Not sure what more I have to add. Really good first half just spoiled by our lack of goals, really poor second half.

All good points. Moore looks to have regressed - playing on the right side might’ve the issue?

Ejaria needs a bit more end product. the ball sticks to him he needs to release it a bit more dangerously. Swift has improved a lot including corners.

Second half we were just far too casual. Passing was sloppy and work rate dropped - especially up front who should have subbed. Instead were left on and the two that were giving us some momentum taken off. Ridiculous decision.

Agree on all points. Ejaria seems reluctant to use Richards on the overlap but that's the only way we're going to get any width.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Sep 2019 14:29

The Enfield Royal71
Royal Rother I find it amusing that impressive performances against WBA, Cardiff and Huddersfield have been completely outweighed in many people’s minds by one poor half against Charlton.

Do you go games or just listen on the radio?

Neither. Well, I saw WBA and Cardiff on TV and happened to hear most of the radio commentary yesterday as Windsor didn’t have a game, but really that’s irrelevant.

HNA and post-match on BBCRB provides everything required to make the observation above.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Sep 2019 14:57

Royal Rother HNA and post-match on BBCRB provides everything required to make the observation above.

:lol:

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 01 Sep 2019 15:18

Just had a look on You Tube,error by Moore and looks like he gave the penalty away as well.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 01 Sep 2019 15:19

Royal Rother
The Enfield Royal71
Royal Rother I find it amusing that impressive performances against WBA, Cardiff and Huddersfield have been completely outweighed in many people’s minds by one poor half against Charlton.

Do you go games or just listen on the radio?

Neither. Well, I saw WBA and Cardiff on TV and happened to hear most of the radio commentary yesterday as Windsor didn’t have a game, but really that’s irrelevant.

HNA and post-match on BBCRB provides everything required to make the observation above.

Bring back Dim,that guy on Saturday was very boring.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Sep 2019 15:26

What? He actually commentated on the football creating images in the mind rather than a confused fug which was more than somewhat refreshing.

180 posts