BFTG - Charlton

180 posts
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Charlton

by maffff » 01 Sep 2019 15:55

I'm not going to panic after that, it's one of those days. Looked like two decent teams, both pretty cohesive in the first half but individual talent made us look more likely to breakthrough - we had, if I recall all right, 3 chances we could and on another day would have scored from.

Second half they started brightly but weren't really making huge strides and both teams were in it. Rafael had a tame Leko shot covered until the deflection made it go out of reach. After that their heads went up and we turned sloppy, particularly in midfield. Still didn't look out of it until the penalty which was arguable as I'm pretty sure it was a foul on Moore. After that, aside from one chance for a consolation at the very end it was game over.

Can't argue about the score, they looked a good team. Great set of fans too. Loud.

We'll play worse than that and win.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 01 Sep 2019 16:01

Fair, and kind of agree Maffff.

Just watched the highlights. Taylor’s penalty technique sickened the life out of every Royal in the stadium. Painful to watch live and painful to watch back.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Sep 2019 16:21

Yeah more on the side of maffff than a lot on here. We had a very poor half after some recent good performances

Areas of concern though. Thought Moore was really poor - maybe it is the right side thing

Gomes subs - not so much the actual subs - can see the logic but it was undoubtedly a bad call - but the reason why. Being scared? Lacking confidence? That’s a major worry. And yeah Richards esp was our biggest threat other than Swift

Puscas and Joao both had poor games for differing reasons. All has been said in the thread already but that needs to click if we are to get anywhere

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 01 Sep 2019 16:21

Oilroyal Fair, and kind of agree Maffff.

Just watched the highlights. Taylor’s penalty technique sickened the life out of every Royal in the stadium. Painful to watch live and painful to watch back.

It is a great penalty technique tbf. Like it alot.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2019 17:08

maffff I'm not going to panic after that, it's one of those days. Looked like two decent teams, both pretty cohesive in the first half but individual talent made us look more likely to breakthrough - we had, if I recall all right, 3 chances we could and on another day would have scored from.

Second half they started brightly but weren't really making huge strides and both teams were in it. Rafael had a tame Leko shot covered until the deflection made it go out of reach. After that their heads went up and we turned sloppy, particularly in midfield. Still didn't look out of it until the penalty which was arguable as I'm pretty sure it was a foul on Moore. After that, aside from one chance for a consolation at the very end it was game over.

Can't argue about the score, they looked a good team. Great set of fans too. Loud.

We'll play worse than that and win.

Pen looked to me like Moore did his usual get himself in trouble and beaten, then desperately try to get in the way and bring his man down by falling into him hoping he wins a foul. Pretty much exactly the same as when that Wednesday winger rinsed him for their first goal.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 01 Sep 2019 17:16

Great first half, exciting expectation , bossed it for most of the half and Puscas had two good chances to take the game on , but , second half Charlton totally outplayed us and any fair minded supporter at the game couldn't argue with the result. Work in progress we will get better .

For the record their support was amazing , it must have felt like a home game for Charlton

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Sep 2019 17:23

First half we were the better team.

Second half lucky goal then a Reading melt down.

Gomes goes nuts with subs and total and utter meltdown. Why change shape when we were looking dangerous?

Puscas should have scored 2. One on one and last shot of the game. Joao shocked me. Some good work but some laziness.

Moore shocking game.

Rafael good except for penalty oddity.

An important learning point for Reading. Need a plan B that doesn't involve just going f**king mental.

Need Miazga back.

Need Moore to stop having off days.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 01 Sep 2019 18:30

2 world wars, 1 world cup First half we were the better team.

Gomes goes nuts with subs and total and utter meltdown. Why change shape when we were looking dangerous?

Puscas should have scored 2. One on one and last shot of the game. Joao shocked me. Some good work but some laziness.

Moore shocking game.

An important learning point for Reading. Need a plan B that doesn't involve just going f**king mental.

Need Miazga back.

Penalty oddity?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2019 18:33

Jagermesiter1871

Moore shocking game.

Need Miazga back.

Penalty oddity?

His mind games before the kick was taken

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Sep 2019 19:39

Zip
Jagermesiter1871

Moore shocking game.

Need Miazga back.

Penalty oddity?

When it works, it works. When it doesn't he looks stupid. He'll probably end up with a higher save ratio than many.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2019 19:53

maffff
Zip
Jagermesiter1871
Penalty oddity?

When it works, it works. When it doesn't he looks stupid. He'll probably end up with a higher save ratio than many.

Yep.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Sep 2019 20:14

Charlton must be doing something right.

Total shots after 6 games

Leeds 106
WBA 99
Cardiff 93
QPR 92
Brentford 87
Boro 86
Fulham 86
Hull 81
Reading 81
Barnsley 77
Wednesday 77
Swansea 73
Derby 72
Forest 70
Stoke 68
B'burn 68
Luton 68
Bristol City 66
PNE 66
Wigan 63
Huddersfield 57
Millwall 56
Birmingham 53
Charlton 50

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 01 Sep 2019 21:58

Zip
maffff
Zip

Yep.

I must have somehow missed what he did - what was it?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2019 22:10

Jagermesiter1871
Zip
maffff

Yep.

I must have somehow missed what he did - what was it?

I was in the ED Stand so at the opposite end. Rafael decided to stand very much on the left of the goal just before Taylor took the pen

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2019 23:37

Zip
maffff
Zip

Yep.

I think part of the problem was Taylor was so casual Cabral didn't really know when to switch from the mind games to saving.

I though he was walking up to reposition the ball at first!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 01 Sep 2019 23:54

Snowball
tmesis
Zip I would much prefer to see the clock stopped when a goal is scored, sub made, treatment for a player or when a free kick is awarded. It works well in rugby. The number of minutes injury time seems so variable these days.

I'd like to see the clock in the hands of an independent official who isn't having to deal with all the other crap going on. I'd also like that person signal the end of the game when the game ends, rather than waiting for the ball to go into a neutral "non-controversial" position on the pitch before blowing, which is what all refs seem to do.

The problem with stopping the clock at every stoppage is that the game would take far too long. the ball is apparently dead for about half an hour in each match.

It'd also do nothing to stop players going down with fake injuries to disrupt the flow of the game.

Works in rugby.

Shorten the official time.

Stop the clock for throw-ins, free-kicks until the whistle is blown

Stop the clock for Injuries

Enforce the goal-keeper time-allowed with ball. A few 18 yard free-kicks and time-wasting would stop

Then at official HT and FT a hooter goes. The game continues
until the ball goes out of play, unless there's a penalty.

Never understood why this isn't done and never heard any good reasons why not. It would be a blindingly obvious improvement which let's the crowd know what's going on and reduces the regular frustration heard every game
- Where did that come from? Or only 2 minutes?! Etc.

Just a sensible and simple idea and a good way to improve communication with the crowd.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Sep 2019 08:21

bcubed
Snowball
tmesis I'd like to see the clock in the hands of an independent official who isn't having to deal with all the other crap going on. I'd also like that person signal the end of the game when the game ends, rather than waiting for the ball to go into a neutral "non-controversial" position on the pitch before blowing, which is what all refs seem to do.

The problem with stopping the clock at every stoppage is that the game would take far too long. the ball is apparently dead for about half an hour in each match.

It'd also do nothing to stop players going down with fake injuries to disrupt the flow of the game.

Works in rugby.

Shorten the official time.

Stop the clock for throw-ins, free-kicks until the whistle is blown

Stop the clock for Injuries

Enforce the goal-keeper time-allowed with ball. A few 18 yard free-kicks and time-wasting would stop

Then at official HT and FT a hooter goes. The game continues
until the ball goes out of play, unless there's a penalty.

Never understood why this isn't done and never heard any good reasons why not. It would be a blindingly obvious improvement which let's the crowd know what's going on and reduces the regular frustration heard every game
- Where did that come from? Or only 2 minutes?! Etc.

Just a sensible and simple idea and a good way to improve communication with the crowd.

It also removes the awkward, "When do I blow for time?" for the ref.

It can be very exciting when, after the hooter has gone, the side needing one score is in possession.

They stay in the game for as long as their opponents can't get the ball

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Sep 2019 09:08

Snowflake Royal
Zip
maffff

Yep.

I think part of the problem was Taylor was so casual Cabral didn't really know when to switch from the mind games to saving.

Me too. Most casual pen I have ever seen.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Sep 2019 09:09

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
Yep.

Me too. Most casual pen I have ever seen.

Same as John Akinde. Cant ever remember him missing on either.

wally bassoon

by wally bassoon » 02 Sep 2019 09:14

Maneki Neko
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL And the Charlton fans were different gravy, hardly heard a peep from 1871.

Really? Barely heard a peep from them until their goal. After that, yeah pretty class. But easy when you're winning.

Yeah that.

Bemused by the comments about their fans tbh.
Hardly made a sound till they scored.
At least from my seat

From the East Stand you could only hear Charlton, they were loud all the way through. Could not hear a peep from club 1871, I guess that if you are in amongst it, then it seems a lot louder.

180 posts