BFTG - Charlton

180 posts
Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Charlton

by Forbury Lion » 02 Sep 2019 09:17

John Madejski's Wallet A bad game for Homes, leaving two tired and ineffective strikers and brining on Boye and Meite in the wings was a massive error
Agreed, Listening to BBC Berks after the game and Adie and Mick were saying the same thing. Didn't catch the Gomes interview, so not sure if he acknowleged this error or explained his decision.

John Madejski's Wallet Oh and LOL at Raphael for being a nobhead and allowing their man the easiest pen he'll ever score
Did I see it right (wasn't 100% sure from my angle of view), but it looked as though he decided not to stand in the middle of the goal and instead to one side leaving a much wider opening on one side that. The Charlton penalty taker accepted the invitation to score on that side and in it went.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Sep 2019 09:30

Forbury Lion
John Madejski's Wallet A bad game for Homes, leaving two tired and ineffective strikers and brining on Boye and Meite in the wings was a massive error
Agreed, Listening to BBC Berks after the game and Adie and Mick were saying the same thing. Didn't catch the Gomes interview, so not sure if he acknowleged this error or explained his decision.

John Madejski's Wallet Oh and LOL at Raphael for being a nobhead and allowing their man the easiest pen he'll ever score
Did I see it right (wasn't 100% sure from my angle of view), but it looked as though he decided not to stand in the middle of the goal and instead to one side leaving a much wider opening on one side that. The Charlton penalty taker accepted the invitation to score on that side and in it went.

Yes, and also pointed to where he wanted Taylor to shoot to. Which is actually where he did.

It looks nonsense, but if he saves it, it looks genius

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Sep 2019 09:47

This is the sort of result we needed tbh.

We have officially transformed into one of the good teams in the league. We're a team to beat, and we are actually expecting to beat teams like Charlton who came here unbeaten.

We needed this result to show that even though we have beaten very good teams there are some that will beat us. WE ARE NOT INVINCIBLE. The important thing is how do we react to that. I'm sure Gomes will instill belief into the team, that's what he's good at. I agree with him that he made the wrong call in going 3-3-4 (or whatever the hell it was!) which basically screamed out "we're not good enough, we need to do something different!" when in my opinion we were the better team overall until they scored, and we should have just kept up with our belief.

I maintain we are a very very good team and this will be an exciting season!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Sep 2019 09:52

Forbury Lion
(Raphael)

He plays a lot of mind games. Worked brilliantly at Wycombe.

He gave an obvious right side to shoot at (a bit TOO big) but note he dived on the narrow side.

It's 50/50 if you do nothing. He was clearly hoping he'd persuade Taylor to go for the narrow side.

I think he will save a good number of penalties.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Sep 2019 10:29

wally bassoon
Maneki Neko
Snowflake Royal Really? Barely heard a peep from them until their goal. After that, yeah pretty class. But easy when you're winning.

Yeah that.

Bemused by the comments about their fans tbh.
Hardly made a sound till they scored.
At least from my seat

From the East Stand you could only hear Charlton, they were loud all the way through. Could not hear a peep from club 1871, I guess that if you are in amongst it, then it seems a lot louder.

fair enough.
what I will say about the south stand is that it seems that the rest of the stadium has absolved all responsibility for making any noise.
the entire rest of the place just sits and occasionally claps politely.

I guess that's been the case for ages, without the south stand, so at least now we have some people making a noise

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Sep 2019 10:53

bcubed
Snowball
tmesis I'd like to see the clock in the hands of an independent official who isn't having to deal with all the other crap going on. I'd also like that person signal the end of the game when the game ends, rather than waiting for the ball to go into a neutral "non-controversial" position on the pitch before blowing, which is what all refs seem to do.

The problem with stopping the clock at every stoppage is that the game would take far too long. the ball is apparently dead for about half an hour in each match.

It'd also do nothing to stop players going down with fake injuries to disrupt the flow of the game.

Works in rugby.

Shorten the official time.

Stop the clock for throw-ins, free-kicks until the whistle is blown

Stop the clock for Injuries

Enforce the goal-keeper time-allowed with ball. A few 18 yard free-kicks and time-wasting would stop

Then at official HT and FT a hooter goes. The game continues
until the ball goes out of play, unless there's a penalty.

Never understood why this isn't done and never heard any good reasons why not. It would be a blindingly obvious improvement which let's the crowd know what's going on and reduces the regular frustration heard every game
- Where did that come from? Or only 2 minutes?! Etc.

Just a sensible and simple idea and a good way to improve communication with the crowd.

This type of approach is used very successfully in US College Soccer (sorry for the Americanism). Official time remains the same at 90 minutes. The ref indicates when he/she wants the clock stopped and restarted. The clock isn't stopped every time the ball goes out of play, only when the delay is likely to be material. Agreed, it doesn't stop the Ady Williams of this world going down 'injured' to relieve pressure/disrupt the flow of play. That's where refs have to be a bit more street wise. If a player manages to roll 5 times (like Jonny Williams did for Charlton), they are not injured!. If they suddenly develop a non contact injury when their opponents are pressurising them, they are probably doing the Ady Williams trick. Most people who have played and/or watch the game a lot, including supporters and pundits are pretty good at spotting circumstances when a player really has picked up a nasty injury.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that when Swift kicked the ball out of play when a Charlton player went down injured the ref wrongly implemented the new law by giving an uncontested drop ball to us. I think that is only meant to happen when the ref stops the play due to an injury?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 02 Sep 2019 11:00

Hound
Forbury Lion

Yes, and also pointed to where he wanted Taylor to shoot to. Which is actually where he did.

It looks nonsense, but if he saves it, it looks genius

Rafael actually moved back to the centre before Taylor kicked the ball. That can work quite well if the keeper moves as the taker is running up, as it leaves the taker in two minds as to where to place the ball. As Rafael found out, it doesn't work when the taker walks up to strike the ball as he has plenty of time to decide where to place the ball after the keeper moves.

Rafael actually squared up to Taylor and got right in his face after he scored so clearly felt peed of about something Taylor did or said. I like having a keeper who reacts that way! (as long as they don't get themselves in a Lita v Lehmann situation :lol: ).

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Sep 2019 11:04

Snowball
Forbury Lion
(Raphael)

He plays a lot of mind games. Worked brilliantly at Wycombe.

He gave an obvious right side to shoot at (a bit TOO big) but note he dived on the narrow side.

It's 50/50 if you do nothing. He was clearly hoping he'd persuade Taylor to go for the narrow side.

I think he will save a good number of penalties.

I would rather he didn't have many penalties to save.
Before the game my brother and I were talking about Lyle Taylor and how we both rated him, going back to his Wimbledon days and before that he had been at Bournemouth .
Pete asked me if I had seen any of his penalties-I hadn't but he told me what he does and he thought the best thing would be for the keeper to stand still centrally and because of the pace of the shot he might have time to reach it.
We then wondered if RFC staff had discussed with our keeper what he should do if they did get a penalty-who knows if they did?

As for the game, Yiadom looked knackered so understandable that he might come off but Richards IMHO was still doing ok.
I think I would have stuck with the game plan but played somebody else as wing-back (Barrett?) rather than Meite who cuts in on his left foot and crowds the central area rather than going outside his man.
There was definitely a case for the front two to come off as both had been ineffective and were tiring but hindsight is easy and Gomes obviously thought he was doing the right thing.

I had fallen pre-match into the trap thinking that this team is going places-they still might but to do so every player has to be at their best, anything less is not enough as they are not THAT good.
Moore I thought was very poor as were the front two but let's just hope that they were all a bit tired and this was a one-off-in the first half we saw quite a bit of the new Reading but as we didn't score we then saw too much of the old Reading in the second half.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Sep 2019 11:21

foir me it looked more like putting on two wingers for two wing backs as a change in formation
rather than like for like, playing the two subs as wing backs

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Sep 2019 11:25

On the BBC Berks coverage Mick Gooding mentioned that when he and Jimmy Quinn we're managers of Reading at the start of the season after the playoff loss to Bolton, they wanted to sign Clive Mendoca.

The chairman asked them for two budgets, one to reach the playoffs again and one to finish mid-table. The higher budget to reach the playoffs again included the signing of Mendoca. The chairman told them to go with the second option - the lower budget and to finish mid-table.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 02 Sep 2019 12:11

Forbury Lion On the BBC Berks coverage Mick Gooding mentioned that when he and Jimmy Quinn we're managers of Reading at the start of the season after the playoff loss to Bolton, they wanted to sign Clive Mendoca.

The chairman asked them for two budgets, one to reach the playoffs again and one to finish mid-table. The higher budget to reach the playoffs again included the signing of Mendoca. The chairman told them to go with the second option - the lower budget and to finish mid-table.

That would make sense. JM pointed out in the Ady Williams podcast that back then he felt we wasn’t ready as a club to be promoted. He went on to say that had we been promoted in the Bolton P/O final it would have put us back years.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 02 Sep 2019 12:31

Oilroyal
Forbury Lion On the BBC Berks coverage Mick Gooding mentioned that when he and Jimmy Quinn we're managers of Reading at the start of the season after the playoff loss to Bolton, they wanted to sign Clive Mendoca.

That would make sense. JM pointed out in the Ady Williams podcast that back then he felt we wasn’t ready as a club to be promoted. He went on to say that had we been promoted in the Bolton P/O final it would have put us back years.

I bet he was livid when we went 2-0 up then! Did the ref get told not to send McAteer off? Was a message sent to Archie before the penalty? Did he get a miss bonus?! :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2019 12:49

wally bassoon
Maneki Neko
Snowflake Royal Really? Barely heard a peep from them until their goal. After that, yeah pretty class. But easy when you're winning.

Yeah that.

At least from my seat

From the East Stand you could only hear Charlton, they were loud all the way through. Could not hear a peep from club 1871, I guess that if you are in amongst it, then it seems a lot louder.

There were definitely large portions where Charlton were sat doing nothing in the first half. We did sing a few of the same songs though, and at the same time, so it maybe what you heard as so good was actually the combined noise of both with the nearer words being clearer.

C1871 didn't stop for virtually the entire first half. There were points when I could tell Charlton were going too, but not many. There were even renditions of "shall we sing a song for you" "we forgot that you were here" and "there's only 10 of you singing"

It was more subdued than Wednesday though. But the banners were at the top of the stand and I think netting off that bit has a big impact. The lower and closer to the pitch you are the fewer people join in and the less well the sound is captured and focused.

On top of that, in the second half there was virtually nothing to sing about and Charlton did a really good job of drowning out anything starting. Which they definitely didn't do in the first half.

Danny Nedelko

by Danny Nedelko » 02 Sep 2019 12:51

I thought that the biggest difference in this game was Charlton's work rate. First half they barely pressed, gave us plenty of time on the ball, looked a yard off the pace and we needed to take advantage of that.
Second half was a completely different story, straight from the whistle - Charlton stepped it up and maybe we thought we were going to walk it, and then they got their goal. At which point they had a bit of confidence on the ball, epitomised by that Taylor 'character'.
They (We?) starved Ovie of the ball in the second half, which changed our creativity because everything he did in the first half was magic. Second half was painful viewing but I am still confident there is much more to come, not least because that was only game #4 for a new looking squad still gelling. Random points of note:
- I actually thought Boye looked dangerous when he came on
- Puscas's lack of speed is worrying
- Charlton fans barely made a peep in the first half and I thought c1871 sounded decent. Game of two halves both on and off the pitch
- We need to pass the ball faster through midfield sometimes, with 2 touches instead of 4..5..6...7..8........
- Taylor is a 'c......

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Sep 2019 12:57

Snowflake Royal
wally bassoon
Maneki Neko

Yeah that.

At least from my seat

There were definitely large portions where Charlton were sat doing nothing in the first half. We did sing a few of the same songs though, and at the same time, so it maybe what you heard as so good was actually the combined noise of both with the nearer words being clearer.

C1871 didn't stop for virtually the entire first half. There were points when I could tell Charlton were going too, but not many. There were even renditions of "shall we sing a song for you" "we forgot that you were here" and "there's only 10 of you singing"

It was more subdued than Wednesday though. But the banners were at the top of the stand and I think netting off that bit has a big impact. The lower and closer to the pitch you are the fewer people join in and the less well the sound is captured and focused.

On top of that, in the second half there was virtually nothing to sing about and Charlton did a really good job of drowning out anything starting. Which they definitely didn't do in the first half.

Isn't the idea and point of C1871 to sing through the whole game regardless of result and create an atmosphere?
If they get drowned out by Charlton, its time to say goodbye to it I think.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2019 13:10

The Enfield Royal71
Snowflake Royal
wally bassoon

Isn't the idea and point of C1871 to sing through the whole game regardless of result and create an atmosphere?

Happily what you think merits no action whatsoever.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Sep 2019 13:11

RoyalBlue
Rafael actually moved back to the centre before Taylor kicked the ball.

er, no he didn't.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 02 Sep 2019 13:23

RoyalBlue
Oilroyal

I bet he was livid when we went 2-0 up then! Did the ref get told not to send McAteer off? Was a message sent to Archie before the penalty? Did he get a miss bonus?! :wink:

He did say that he would have been delighted if we went up but at the that time he said that the infrastructure at the club, mainly EP and its capacity would not have provided the revenue needed in the prem. Hence why, I guess JM opted to give the lower budget to Mick and Jimmy. Which was good business sense at the time

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Sep 2019 13:36

Snowflake Royal
The Enfield Royal71
Snowflake Royal

Happily what you think merits no action whatsoever.

Thats what you think. I have connections in the club that agree with me

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 02 Sep 2019 13:47

Was sat in c1871 for the first time and thought it was decent. Seemed like we didn't stop singing the whole first half which I don't think I've ever experienced at the mad stad other than perhaps play off games. Was with a neutral mate and he said the atmosphere was brilliant. Couldn't hear the Charlton fans at all and as mentioned this prompted chants of shall we sing a song for you etc from us.

180 posts